Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hell yea brother! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got another cool Matchbox yesterday at Dollar General. The most reliable B5V in the world.

Matchbox has on the ball lately. If they make an S2 Scirocco I can die happy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Speaking of video storage does anyone have a favorite program to rip my DVDs to digital so I can put them all on a ssd? It's time to setup my living room again now that my roommate is gone and finally setup a media server in my house for movies and music.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Cool, thanks for the suggestions dudes. I'll check them out.

Goober Peas posted:

I've been using WinX DVD Ripper for a long time - I've only run across a few that it couldn't crack the DRM on. It's licensed, but you can usually catch it on sale.

That's fine, I don't mind paying as long as it works for what I need and is reliable which a lot of the times the free stuff is not. I have a legit payed for Windows 7, Photoshop and Office so every time I wipe a hard drive or build a new computer there is no hassle. I'm not dumb but also not proficient with computers so I like stuff that just works.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can't increase the resolution above the source. With DVDs and appropriate software you can fit a visually-identical copy of the video into a much smaller space using x264 or x265 codecs. I use Handbrake myself.

This is good to know, I'll have to experiment with that.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 5, 2019

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

One thing I remember from elementary school is a picture of a bean with arms and legs and a face that said Human Bean under it. It was in the nurses office and I thought it was "bean" forever because of that picture, haha.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I thought he might be talking about the game against the Vikings. Farvres last game ever. The Saints beat the crap out of him for no good reason. gently caress them forever for that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'm still thinking about that Vikings game being 10 years ago, poo poo. Probably when I stopped caring about football too. I'm a Pats fan and even I got sick of watching them go to the super bowl every year. Last year I went home and to bed at half time then found out the Eagles won when that news finally trickled it's way to npr. Was kinda glad too.

Best football memory was when I was in Seattle, like literally in the streets when the hawks won that last playoff game before they went to the sb. So many happy and drunk people beeping horns and doing drive by high fives to all the people in the streets. It was so awesome to be a part of that. Then it got weird on the ferry when the sea of neon green and blue were totally silent. Eeery.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

rdb posted:

So I had a dilemma. This story involves killing animals so skip over it if that bothers you.

A skunk fell into our well pump pit. Its a 3’ wide concrete tube thats 6’ deep. Its cover broke in three pieces long ago so its kinda open to the elements. The well and pump supplied water to the barn before we had city water run from the house, so its not in use.

How does one remove a skunk? There are no wildlife removal companies in the area. I have a wide variety of tools. I don’t want to get sprayed. No way am I getting down in that pit.

I thought about shooting it. But shooting into concrete is risky. I decided to take that risk and busted out my trusty .22 and a subsonic round. I got a clean head shot on it using the old well pressure tank as a backstop. I told my wife where the fishing net was and she got it out. Its her barn and animals anyways. No one got sprayed.

Until the neighbors pit bull found the dead skunk. He must have brought it back to their house because I can smell it and hear the yelling. Maybe now they will chain him up. And feed him so he’s not stealing our horse feed and cat food. Or killing goat kids.

If you have a havahart trap you can catch it and if you cover it a skunk won't spray since they don't want to get it on themselves. They make skunk specific traps that are enclosed.

Drop the trap down the well with a rope then when it gets trapped throw a cover over it and lift it out with the rope. Bring it to the woods far away and open the trap and run. Unless it's really agitated and stomping it's front feet and hissing it's not about to spray. If it is leave it for a while then come back and let it out after it calms down. Skunks will give a ton of warning before they spray because it's biologically expensive to do it. That and they don't want it on themselves.

If you are slow and quiet with it it probably won't be agitated at all. Most of them are pretty calm because they have a lot of confidence in their defense. Same reason they get hit by cars since they assume that their defense will scare it away.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

rdb posted:

It won’t happen again because I am going to order gravel and fill the pit in. That could have been a child.

And I remember you saying something about a skunk patting its front feet. This one seemed to be quite agitated every time we shined a light down the hole. Rightfully so. Sorry if the story bothered you in particular. I know you keep them as pets.

Nah I'm not worried about that, they aren't endangered or anything. Just like to let anyone that might not want to kill something know that they don't always have to. Skunks being unique since people think they will get sprayed but with a little awareness that's not usually the case. My sister and I caught one by accident when we were kids and it just fell asleep in the trap and animal control just opened the door and let it go. I have no problem killing something if it's a problem. There is a feral cat I've shot a few times with my .177. It's 1300fps but not quite enough to kill him unless I get a head shot. If my neighbors weren't as close I would have killed him with a shotgun by now. The rear end in a top hat has sprayed in my garage and sat outside my bedroom window at night making noise and I won't feel bad when he's gone.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I had a pet raccoon also. They are the scariest of them all, hands down. I saw a Florida FnG officer going into a house to deal with 2 raccoons say he'd rather it be an alligator any day over a raccoon.

My coon was the best most fun pet ever until he wasn't. He hosed up my gf and I really bad. I've never been so scared of a animal as him until we brought him to a rescue.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Anyone else have a Rainbow? I've had one for like 15 years and love it. It ruined all other vacuums for me, no bag and no dust using the water. The only restriction being the water it moves massive amounts of air on top of the great sucking.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Queen Combat posted:

Three thousand dollars. You can buy four-six Miele vacuums for that, and a Miele doesn't weigh a thousand pounds.

Holy poo poo that's what they go for? Jesus, I paid like a grand for mine. A lot but worth it to me. Still sucks like the day I got it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

I have one, and it's awesome. I got it for free too.

It probably the best vacuum I've ever used, and just trying to use anything else now just doesn't cut it. Only problems I've had has been the belt snapped, and when I moved the water pan got cracked, but you can buy replacement parts for both of those super cheap, so who cares. If you can ever find a used one, buy it ASAP. They're great, last forever, and you can replace and repair parts on them easily.

Hell yea Rainbow buddy! I bought mine new and was impressed with its performance for sure, that's what sold me initially. I was concerned with reliability but it has a 25 year warranty so I still have like 10 years left. I haven't had any problems with it at all, I didn't know there was a belt in there I figured it was a direct drive.

The only thing that sucks now (heh) is that I don't have carpets in my house any longer. I'm glad for the roombachat earlier so I can get one that works and hopefully all I'll have to do is empty it and not have to rescue it from behind closed doors or under a couch.

I had no idea they are going for 3 grand now. That must mean mine should still have some value if I were to sell it. Probably not though since it works awesome in cars and I'll always have those.

Non vacuum related: I just watched Texasville. It's a sequel to The Last Picture Show which is a great movie. This one was made in 1990, set in 1984. I liked it even more that TLPS, it's fantastic. It's funny as poo poo and tugs at the heart strings. I had no idea it existed and I'm a huge Jeff Bridges fan. Highly recommended if you liked Last Picture Show or Jeff Bridges.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

Maybe it's been changed, but yeah, there's a belt on the beater bar section of it. Just a tiny rubber flat belt, nothing too special.

Oh yea that part. Sadly I lost that in a move which is too bad since it was great for pet hair on carpet/fabric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

What models do yall have? This is relevant to my interests, since I just moved to a place that's got pretty much nothing but carpets and I need a new/better vacuum (and can't stand bagless). Looking at craigs, there are a few between $140 and $400, but I don't know how the models break down.

Mines an E2 or series 2, something like that.