Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I gave my boss a month's notice, which is unheard of in the service industry, and he decided that I'm not going to be on the schedule anymore after a week and a half because I called in sick one day. The money would have been nice to be able to hold out longer until I secured a new job, but :shrug:

I'm in the process of being hired as the garage's pinche for a luxury-ish car dealership, despite having 0 training or work experience. It's gonna suck, but at least the schedule won't be released 16 hours before I'm scheduled to work. And if someone customer is hosed up, I can call the cops on them instead of having to babysit them while they sober up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Suburban Dad posted:

Why would you do them a favor? Nobody gives a poo poo about loyalty anymore unfortunately.

Because I was friends with both of my managers, we hung out outside of work and I went to one of their houses. I mistakenly trusted that since I was doing right by them, they'd do right by me. Lesson learned

Geoj posted:

If you haven't already, file for unemployment.

Even if you never actually receive any UI benefits as long as the claim is approved your prior employer will see an increase in their annual unemployment premiums (unless they have incredibly high turnover to begin with.)

I stuck it to a former employer in this fashion after they "you can't quit because you're fired" me back in April of last year. Submitted two weeks' notice based on a job offer, was fired, filed for unemployment and served my waiting week before returning to work a week later. Former employer appealed several times and never quite seemed to understand "tendered resignation" does not qualify as "for cause" when firing someone until after they hired a lawyer and exhausted the appeals process.

I may as well. Does the application process still go through during the shutdown? My FAFSA application got stalled

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Doesnt matter. Even then the courts were ruling NDA's of that length were not enforceable. 6 months was about the most they could get away with.

Much like EULA's, a lot of the things in these contracts are unenforceable and sometimes illegal, but they're there to scare people into accepting anything the contract says. Lawyers are expensive and most people don't understand their rights

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

Man there are a lot of people on the internet who would never be able to afford one (or the last one) complaining that the new supra doesn't have a 2jz in it.

People realise that that engine is 30 years old, weighs a tonne and is pretty much garbage for anything other than drag racing or drift racing right?

I think the new Supra looks like a BRZ as designed by Chevrolet Performance, which doesn't really do it for me. I'm just happy that it has a straight 6 in it, even if it's not a Toyota engine
More to your point, the car is also more expensive my yearly pre-tax income, so my opinion on the car carries as much weight as my dog's opinion does :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Yeah, that's an all around terrible situation, I'm sorry. My vote is to send flowers if you're really grieving, but do it for yourself, not for them

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Jesus christ 9" of snow and my school doesn't shut down. What a fun way to start a semester

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Grakkus posted:

Phones too. It feels like a purely anti-consumer move.

I remember being baffled by my friend's mac in the mid-2000s and how if it froze, he had to wait until the batteries died because there was no way to pull the battery. Now everything is headed in that direction..

They didn't have a manual reset button? The entire bottom plastic and harddrive of my ACER has to be removed to access the battery, but there's a button that you can push with a pin to disconnect and reset the battery without taking everything apart

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9j8t7d-Gv4

My vote for the car-related-thread-theme-song of the month.

Or whatever Dragula was in October lol.

Dragula is a timeless classic for every season

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

And as someone without relevant skills, as long as you have passion and an ok resume, a surprising number of places will reach out. It feels really good

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Fender Anarchist posted:

sounds fake tbh

I've had 5 interviews, but have no job, so it's not as amazing as it sounds, but it's encouraging

keykey posted:

This doesn't happen in CA unless it's "HAY YOUNG MAN, YOU WANNA INSTALL SOLAR/SELL INSURANCE/SELL OR INSTALL ALARM SYSTEMS?!?" Also, the market here is way too saturated which is why I'm looking outside of CA... that at some fresh non-CA perspective couldn't hurt. I've only applied for 5 jobs outside and I've already been contacted by 3 as opposed to hundreds and maybe 10, just the usual "Thank you for applying, you're definitely qualified but we decided to go a different route." generic emails. Though inside CA, I'm looking at jobs staying in academia, which by very definition they already have someone they want to hire they just have to go through the motions since somebody somewhere said," YOU HAVE TO GIVE EVERYBODY A CHANCE!" So they do the academia shuffle which is the industry norm, I just wish it was more like hiring in private industry where if they have someone they just promote them and if not then they throw a job announcement out to everybody.

I feel like the job market is so weird right now, everyone is hiring but no one wants to hire a new employee

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I love the "your car is a high value trade in" mailers for my old 01 Windstar. It was so poo poo that donating it to charity was more profitable than selling the thing

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Someone should toss a few beers into a pillowcase and take a swing at Mitch Mcconnell's head.

Just to see what kind of sound it makes.

For science.

Cans, bottles, or kegs?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

At least it's something
Please tell me there's no wall involved

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Thank God, I've been actively avoiding the news for the past week or so because it made me pissed off every time I read or heard anything about Britain or the US

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Thief posted:

i wonder how many clean foxbody mustangs are going on sale thanks to this shutdown

None. They won't budge on price, they know what they have

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I've been bitching about how much of my welding classes have been safety lectures, but I truly underestimated how loving dumb people are. We've done at least 4 hours of lecture on OF safety, watched 3 videos on how to use the torch and regulators, watched our instructor go through the process 4 times, and then all had to demonstrate to the class that we could set up the torch and safely put it away

3 people in a 12 person class hosed up so bad that we started to retreat to a safe distance while they attempted to either light bystanders on fire or blow themselves up. It boggles the mind

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ, they've adjusted the expected windchill this wednesday from -42 to -51.

We all gonna die.

Are we going to have a snow-nado with that wind speed or have you started using celsius?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Paper towels get dirt off your hands and into the garbage. Blowers get dirt off your hands and into the air.

My CNA instructor said that if you used the blower to dry your hands during clinicals that you'd have to stay an extra hour because it's completely unsanitary

E: I always thought the midwest had the "neutral accent", so I didn't think that I had a regional accent. Apparently people know I'm from Chicago because I say eggs wrong

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 29, 2019

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

He's either super poly or having a stroke

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

If you look at the statistics, almost every long term relationship will have at least one partner cheat at some point. True monogamy is the outlier in human relationships. I'm of the opinion that embracing that fact and having semi-monogamous relationships with well communicated rules is much more realistic for long term stability

All I know for certain is that currently I don't have the ability to effectively communicate my emotions well enough for polyamory to work for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think you're making a lot of assumptions about that post. "Pleasing" your partner can mean any multitude of things and have nothing to do with objectifying anyone.

It sounds like a stand up joke from the 1980's. I thought it was a reference :shrug: