Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

STR posted:

I did a fresh Win7 install using the OEM key, then downloaded the media creation tool. Selected "upgrade this PC". Worked fine, OS shows it's activated via a "digital license". I did get a curveball when Win7 wouldn't activate on its own - had to call the MS activation line. Odd, since it'd only ever had 1 OS reinstall. I'm used to that on a key that's been used multiple times. I'm guessing MAYBE it was an OEM license and I'd tossed a new drive in it + dead optical drive?

I don’t think you need to bother with the upgrade process. I’ve now done 4 old win7 stickered laptops with a win 10 usb from the media creation tool - onto blank ssds.
All have activated fine after install by entering the win 7 key on the sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Recovery disk didn't work, standard recovery advice didn't work, doing the media creation tool right now. I feel like an old person having so much trouble with a computer.

yeah, its much easier just doing a fresh install on the new SSD and then putting the old one into the enclosure to pull off any data you want.

The usb media creation tool has always worked perfectly for me.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Safety Dance posted:

Thanks for all this! I'm meeting up with a German colleague there, and he's threatening to take me to what he described as a traditional diner run out of someone's home. I think he called it a "shashinki", but I can't understand him over the phone at the best of times.

I don’t know if it helps, but if you go towards Russia then ‘shashlik’ is meat cooked on a skewer. I would assume that a shashinki might be related

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

slidebite posted:

Ugh :(

Funerals are for the living, the dead don't give a poo poo. If you don't really care what your parents will think, gently caress them and I think everyone here would back up that decision.

Good luck and don't feel guilt or be guilted.

QC - please do what you want to do, not what your parents want you to.

From what you have said they have already missed lots of chances to re-connect with you and make things good. I'm not sure that this funeral sounds like the best place to do it.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

This was the best thing to come out of that movie existing:

I've never seen the movie but found the book entertaining. Reminiscing about stuff is always an easy win though.

RP1 also means that this awesome song also exists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQaH3lh-CA4

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

fridge corn posted:

Never seen a Dyson that was any good. Overpriced gimmicky rubbish. Just get a Henry ffs

Yeah, gently caress Dyson. Not only is Corn spot on here but James Dyson is also a loving twat and people should stop giving him any money.