Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Modus Man posted:

I am going to be building my own house, and I posted our home brewed floor plan in DIY. The more criticism the merrier. It will have nice garage at 30x40 plus room for storage. Gotta have that room for when I eventually buy a "fun" car.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879253&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post491670277

Where I live at least a big rear end nice house with 8’ ceilings would get a lot of wtf type reactions. Here it’d be 9’ minimum and most places that large would have some 10’-12’ somewhere (great room, master, whatever).

Single vanity in the master would also get weird looks.

I like the layout. My house is exactly the same size but yours is better laid out. I like the defined entryway, mud room, and I think your kitchen/living/dining arrangement is way better than mine.

One thing that I think I want in my next house is the stove top to be in the island just because cooking can frequently be a social activity so it’s nice to be facing the living area rather than staring at a wall, but maybe that’s just me.

Is the basement going to be finished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Goober Peas posted:

Central vac chat:

My grandparents built a monster split level house in 1976. 6 bedrooms/6 baths, 2 garages (a 3 car on the lower level, 2 car on the second level).

They built in two central vac systems with the motors and repositories located in each garage. One serviced the ground floor, the other serviced the two upper floors. Most of the outlets were in the hallways, and a really long detachable hose (30 ft?). It took some strategy, but you could cover every square inch. The downside was that all of the apparatus required its own little closet (x2 because there were two systems), and it took a lot of effort to break it out and put it away.

The sweeps were super handy - there were 2 in the kitchen, 1 in the dining room, 1 in the sewing/laundry room, 1 in the workshop.

It took 2 years to find a buyer for the house when they passed - namely due to the size and the fact that it had 0 renovations since 1976. There were a lot of high end finishes that 35 years later just looked tacky. Or like a museum piece.

This sounds exactly like a house I looked at when I was shopping last year. I would have loved to buy it but they wanted 100k too much for it, considering it needed 200k worth of work to not be hideous and out of date.

Some flipper bought it for 70k too much, put 100k into it (ie not enough) and is now asking 200k too much for it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Who tries to please objects? I treat people like objects not objects like people.