Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think 2019 can be weirder than 2018, but who knows :shrug:.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I want to get off Mr. Bones wild ride.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Fender Anarchist posted:

same

Also I may be picking up a pixel 3 to replace my slowly-going-obsolete S5.

Turn your old S5 into a Spotify speaker! It's too old for on-demand Google home streaming (can't listen all the time for a voice command), but Spotify can push to it.

I made a 3D printed speaker stand for mine.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3238235

(If you pick up one of those wireless charging adapters, or the Samsung wireless flip cover, it can stay charged all the time)

For phones, the Pixel 3 is great, but for a fraction of the price LG has things like the V30+ or V40, AND they have headphone jacks, microSD slots, and waterproofing. You know, like the S5. Same screens, processors, and memory. Just, y'know...LG

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 1, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

STR posted:

Thanks, I'll double check. I only saw one, but I didn't look too closely.

edit: cover off. SO-DIMM is confirmed to be 2GB, with what looks like some RAM soldered to the board below the slot. 1 slot. Guessing 2GB soldered, 2GB added on. So I may be able to swap the 2GB DIMM for a 4GB, bumping the total system RAM to 6GB? Better than 4GB, anyway. BIOS and Windows both see 4GB.

If it's from 2010, chance it's a 32 bit processor and will only see 3.xx GB anyway? I didn't catch what it had.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Goal is going to my B-Day in December. Basically what I did this year, but with a few missteps along the way.

Let's do it again this year, but w/o the missteps.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Sounds like there is a few of us doing dry January. Start a thread?

Done. Though, it could be deleted, IDK. I'm cool with whatever. Personal challenge will still stand either way.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hah, obvo a mod can't toxx... can they? My longest sober streak was 173 days in 2018, but then I got all happy with myself and started back up again, which caused me to become unhappy, etc etc cycle cycle. It may be a small coincidence that the streak was also when I lost around 40 pounds, and before and after that it's just been kind of hovering. This wasn't usually "heavy" drinking, either, like two beers one weekend or a six pack over a four day break, half a bottle of vodka in one month with diet sodas. I think it's not just the alcohol itself, but the mentality that goes with it for me, hence my long-term goal.

I love drinkin' but I love myself more when I'm not, I guess.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Do you own any old CDs? Because if so, BAM! Ice scraper.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nah but a credit card has some value of worth, negative or positive. A CD is less than worthless, it's entirely neutral in existence.

Fight entropy. Give that CD a reason to exist again.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I've been messing around with some of these TPU filaments, and thought that I should finally make a cup/base for my hydroflask-alike. I dropped it a few months ago and it hasn't sat level on the table since, but a carefully designed sleeve fixed that.

Fits perfectly on the first try. Also there are seven rows of 52 "pips" going around. Just squishy enough to keep it from banging on the table, and to give it a good grip, but not "sticky" like silicone sleeves that inevitably get caught inside a backpack or similar.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, holy cow. I've downloaded every movie I've ever seen, and am sitting at 4TB I think?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, it is. Maybe I just haven't seen that many movies.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
There's this upscaling program called rarbg that's pretty good. Helps you convert DVDs to higher quality mp4s.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Today I made my 3D printer play a lovely tune when it finishes printing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXUhPNGEbEY

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yo, new emotes, integrate these into your everyday posting

:haibrow:
:hydrated:
:jpmf:
:jail2:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Powershift is checking out european hearses BESTATTUNGSWAGENS for some reason

These would make dope rear end little campers. some of them say they get like 45MPG with their massive 100hp diesels.

my laptop only supports SATA 2, so i bought 2 cheap SSDs and run them in raid 0. Can't do TRIM but i leave it running so garbage collection should take care of it.

Oh gently caress, I wanted a Grumman LLV as my "impossible car" but these are seriously about to overtake that.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Dagen H posted:

thanks CenturyLink

Hey, welcome to my Cox plan for like the last two months, off-and-on.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Dagen H posted:

I want to read the terms of service.

"Speed is not guaranteed, advertised speed is the upper limit"

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, you ever eat something and, like, 30 minutes later you're sitting there going, "It is a perfect 50/50 split as to whether this passes or I spend the next three days recovering from food poisioning?"

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Hah, I have nowhere else to put this. :siren: E/N bullshit feel free to skip this entire post :siren::

Through sheer scheduling and circumstance, I haven't seen my parents for sevenish years, and the last time we actually talked it was back in August, when I was asking them to notarize my "notification of name change" (in my state you have to notify two adults, one of them being a parent if they're still alive, if you change your name). They vehemently refused to sign the notification, so I went around them through a certified letter route, where all you have to do is send them the certified letter, and wait 90 days from the receipt, and use that as evidence of notification. However, on this second go-around, I filed to change my surname, too.

Last attempt at contact, and this is childish and the definition of "passive-aggressive" on my end but gently caress them, too, was for Christmas. They always wanted military memorabilia and poo poo because I'm the first member of our "branch" to ever join, but I am decidedly not proud of my military stuff (Guantanamo, and I joined for the Wrong Reasons, etc), so for Christmas (after they cut contact on the day of my name change in October), I sent them a shadow box with my awards/ribbons, name tapes, patches, etc all organized with labels (and even soft LED lighting), because it's just what they've been begging for. But instead of my adoptive last name, I used my now-legal and now-real last name, the one I changed it to.

On Dec 24th I asked if they got the package, they confirmed, and on Dec 26th I asked if they opened it. No contact, and on January 1st I got a letter from Sprint stating my line was being cancelled and asking if I wanted to spin it off into it's own contract (I was on their family plan). Ah well, mine was a SERO attached to the family plan, and I can afford it separately. NBD.

So, my sister (technically stepsister, I was adopted at birth and she's their bio) is four years younger than me, and has been a gigantic pain in my family's side for her entire teenage-through-to-now life. I haven't seen her for years, and last time I talked to her she was super non-supportive and basically cut contact. Drugs, fights, crashed cars, etc. Where I was told that after 18 I'd have to pay rent to stay living with them, she was still living with them at 27 for free, being an alcoholic). The rest of our family was quiet and introverted. There was one point where I was leaving for the army, and she was attempting to be a manager at a Subway. So, I signed over my car to her (a 1995 Plymouth Acclaim V6, a POS but well maintained and a good daily beater). She went and got it registered, sent me pictures of the new license plates, etc. A year later, out of AIT, I get a call from an impound lot: the car had been towed from the scene of a hit-and-run accident as the at-fault vehicle, and had two simultaneous title loans on it that had defaulted. I was the last registered owner. The license plate she showed me? She stole that off of a car at the MVD lot so I wouldn't get angry that she was driving an unregistered vehicle.

Two days ago she got into a fight with her neighbor, involving him pushing her into an extinguished fire pit, and her then rampaging through his house and knocking town TVs and appliances and stuff. She was put into the local jail to cool off, and decided to get into a fight there, where she was stabbed in her spleen, and she died at the hospital.

I've done the standard "cry uncontrollably for eighteen hours" thing that may-or may-not happen to some people dealing with grief, but now my parents have contacted me to ask if I could come up next weekend for the funeral. I'm an unemployed student and can't afford this time off or plane tickets or anything, especially at the tempo this program is going. And, truly thinking about it, I don't want to. This is gonna come off as angry through text, but gently caress these people. They're the type of parents that danced around the "L word" growing up, didn't hug/etc, and then decide to cut all contact just because I'm being me.

E: not looking for specific sympathy or anything, just had to put this all down on paper/somewhere, y'know. Back to your regularly scheduled slushbox chat :v:

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 19, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
As long as it's resolved by May 1 (week between semesters), because I'm flying to NY for a CTA and a procedure with a :black101: name, "LAVA" :ohdear:

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 19, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You have been docked ten: it's "poo poo, blood, and cum."

Blood is thicker than water.

But cum is thicker than blood :eng101:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Solus posted:

well at least they look cool

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I found a thing.

For five dollars, I had to pick it up.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, oh. I've listened to the first record. They're prime for sampling/vaporwave/DJ'ing. There are some nice clips in there, along with serious-but-sometimes-cheesy narration that is ripe for the picking.

Your setup is also fresh and/or dope.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
If I ever build my own house, or get a nice one to retrofit, I want the most powerful central vac system ever created. I also want the hose to come out of one of those slide-out cabinet things, strung up like a firehose in a hospital or something on a rack. Like one of these.

I also want solid core pocket doors in every room because I like them and gently caress you :colbert: And every wall gets an ethernet jack next to one of the outlets. Yeah, I don't care that it's a kitchen. YOU DON'T KNOW.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I watch AgentJayZ on YouTube. I know. Maybe the Orenda type 14.

Just need a whole ancillary building as a muffler.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
What a weird loving album. Found it at Bookmans for $10, it's three 12" LPs that are run at...45? And apparently there were only a thousand, each one is hand-etched, not pressed according to discogs and this article.

Just...weird. It also came with this card attached, inside

Which is great, because the website, the QR code site, and the paper USB thumbdrive thing (that I plugged into a burner netbook, it simply autoruns and opens up a Run command and types the website out really fast) website are all broken as gently caress :v: This is the URL it was trying to access.

Through side 1 right now, and it's pretty dope and/or fresh. I could get into this, too bad the artists have evaporated into aether faster than The Modernaire did.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

uhhhhh gently caress yes. I feel like I would really like to mix this with some ambient / deep house.

It's all here

https://archive.org/details/toddmp_tothemoon

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Like a 1975 version of this 1996 time capsule house?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
:burger:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Miele vacuums are the poo poo, I can highly recommend them. Yeah, it's like the cost of two vacuums, but it's better and will last longer than both combined.

Dysons are traaaaaaaaaaaash

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Three thousand dollars. You can buy four-six Miele vacuums for that, and a Miele doesn't weigh a thousand pounds.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Right now I have a pthbtbtbtbtbtbtbtttt whatever brand, but it has a retractable cord and that's all that matters right now in this tiny 400 sqft apartment. However, in the last two houses I had a Miele canister (gave it to my ex, she's got the two kids and two dogs) and I can say with confidence that nearly any bagged vacuum is better than any canister vac, just down to how the air is routed alone. It being a lifetime/heritage product like Miele was just icing. I will definitely buy again, as long as they don't go to poo poo in the next three years or whatever.

Kirbys were okay, but even in the 80s they were heavy for what they did. For half the price you could get a bagged Hoover that had the same suction. And yeah, I know that bags are so faux pas in today's day and age, but there's a reason it's what commercial services use. You can pack a bag right up tight, and if you buy in bulk bags are like $0.25-1.00 each, which can be nothing the grand scheme of things, about the same monthly cost or less than trash bags, owing to how much longer and more full they last. Don't be fooled into thinking "well, I have to dump the canister every time I use it, so that would be a bag each time." Nah, nah. It's like 8 canister dumps per standard Miele upright bag capacity, or 15-20 bagless empties per canister vac bag.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wii Shop Channel just shut down. Weird that this was in my radar, but there it is.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone has their own bike or onewheel or whatever. Or you get to sit on someone's lap :kimchi:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
That's...not how it works. That's not how any relationship works.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Dagen H posted:

Yeah, this.

1) Quote a particular post so we know what the hell you're talking about

2) Maybe enlighten us mouth-breathers instead of doing a drive-by mic drop

3) Which part of having an ex-gf cements you as a relationships expert?

1: the one immediately prior to mine, you know, like a conversation goes. It's treating the SO as an object that has to be "pleased" because of whatever misogynistic chauvinist idea I don't even know what the gently caress

2: gently caress you

3: really, gently caress you, entirely uncalled for and you have no recent ideas about, you know, me, so gently caress you a third time? That's about on par with the December "hysteria" comment on "list of lovely snips people have made" from here.

E: GC4U :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's all context, and it has a :v: so I'll crib to that. For the record, I'm pro- whatever the gently caress you want to do.