Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have an electrical/wiring question for some of you electrical smarty pants lighting guys....I just purchased two OEM LED front bumper day time running lights for my xB, the problem is there is no OEM harness in my car so I have to buy a harness or make one. I'd rather not make one.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332475690545?chn=ps

I have no clue if this is barely adequate or perfectly fine. I'm assuming I would need two of them, one for each light?

That controller connects directly to the battery terminals.

You need to run wires from the DRLs themselves to it and will probably need to extend any wiring that the DRLs already have in order to reach the controller.

You can join the 2 DRLs wires in parallel to the single pair of wires on the controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Good question.....I'm assuming they do, don't most oem LED DRLs dim when the light are turned on? I don't think any of them just turn off do they? This is weird, nobody has done what I'm doing apparently because there's literally no information in any of the Scion forums about anyone else doing it.

Looking at the lights it says nothing on them but the part number and 12v lol. I found my multi meter (left on with dead battery) set it to ohms and all it's doing is flashing some numbers then going to 1 every time, so I don't know. I don't want to risk frying these because they weren't cheap.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Oh no one said anything about using a battery like that, if I get the leads backwards am I gonna risk frying the lights with that method? There are no markings for positive or negative on the lights.....Unfortunately I had to rob my smoke detector of it's 9v to power the multimeter and don't have another 9v at the moment.

I found another harness that may work better, this one has all kinds of features

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Uni...S14MBEZG1VCR2CF

And this one looks of good quality, however it just shuts off the DRLs when the headlights come on

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IFWNSFI/ref=psdc_15730351_t3_B010NEO5HQ

So I guess I'm gonna need to figure out if the lights support dimming as well before I buy one of these harnesses yay

That first controller you listed will do the job just fine unless the DRLs are something weird that draws more current that it could support.

It's piss-simple to install as long as you are competent enough to join two wires together.

If you want further reassurance, post a photo of the DRL so we can see the connectors - but you can test the polarity with a 9V battery - heck if you have a 5v USB power with accessible wires, you can use that too

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

InitialDave posted:

Isn't this the entire ridiculousness of a border wall?

I thought the majority of "illegal immigration" into the US was "legal immigrants/visitors who don't leave when they're supposed to"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wk6rswxQro

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Just learnt that someone stole my portable jump starter and my little purse of car park change from my car.

Any recommendations for a little lithium jumper pack?

(Partly annoyed that I didn't notice it before, which means I must have left the car unlocked somewhere, partly happy that I don't have a busted window to deal with)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

slidebite posted:

Thieving fucks.

I don't own one, but the Rugged Geek stuff is supposed to be really good. I think they use Amazon as their primary store for retail.

everdave posted:

I got one on Amazon labeled "Superpow" bc it was on sale for $30 regular $89. So far it has worked as advertised. I have jumped a 2JZ multiple times, a 2.4 diesel once and my friends Vespa like 20 times in a row while we were trying to get it to stay running.

It was a bit bizarre: in a car park and I couldn't find the little bag of coins I keep for the meter and I was thinking that I must have left it in a jacket pocket.
It was only when I checked the glovebox and noticed that the jumper pack was missing that I realised they'd been taken.

Nothing else: not even the satnav which I am pretty sure was in the same cubbybox on top of the coins bag: guess they don't bother with stuff like that anymore.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
It are hosed.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

KozmoNaut posted:

Apparently he paid out of his own pocket, so of course he got the cheapest possible junk.

https://twitter.com/twitersgoodboy/status/1084987512781791232

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 15, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

slidebite posted:

Whelp, good luck with that :britain:

Hopefully it won't be as bad as the doomsayers are saying?

There is the glimmer of hope that the whole thing might be called off.

You cling onto this sliver of salvation in much the same way as if you were a country with a terrible leader who was clinically obese and you learnt that he thought 'fine dining' was high chloresterol fast food.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I dislocated the gently caress out of my finger from getting my ring caught on a ladder two weeks into being married.

We ended up getting ring tattoos since we are both in ems and now I just keep my ring on my keys.

I met my girlfriend's new boyfriend today and let me tell you it was fun as hell. Felt like I knew him for a long time, same interests and the same humor. I am now extra jazzed that she's moving in soon, I'll have another idiot around the house occasionally to bounce bad ideas off of.

Does your girlfriend's boyfriend get on with your wife?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
What confuses me about poly relationships is the logistics.

Like, if you are a threesome, being in the back when you do a long journey has got to be a bit of snub. Do you draw up a rota of who sits in the front and who sits in the back? Is it defined on a calendar basis or is there a points system: 3 trips to Walmart the back alone = 1 trip as shotgun to a music festival. Do you perform a Chinese fire drill at every 4th stop light?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Hands up who treated themselves to a pair of expensive, branded windshield blades and then forgot to deice before turning them on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Fermented Tinal posted:

and am completely unable to formulate even a vague answer as to who or what it is I am.

Ooh, ooh! I know the answer to this one:

You are Fermented Tinal.

An awesome person who deserves good things to happen to them.

And they will.

quote:

I am utterly terrified of having it happen all over again.

The only thing in this life that you should be worried about happening again is head gasket failure.