Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I have managed to gently caress up so much; nearly everything I've tried to do that's longer than a one-day project so far on the Spec Miata build. Class-illegal bushings purchased, stripped brake bleeder screws, missing seat side brackets, $500 belts that require $100-per-side, wield-in brackets. I even had to reposition the roll bar padding. Here's to hoping I can get my poo poo together in the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
What's everyone's opinion on a 4-year old Cayenne as a racecar tow vehicle (and DD) VS. buying a 4-year old top-engine'd "light" truck?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

InitialDave posted:

Did you get the V10 TDI Touareg in the USA?

Yeah but I'm not interested in a 12+ year old car. I can pick up a 2016 Cayenne at the same price as I can a 2016 V8 tow package F150 - both will suit my towing needs, but I have a feeling the Pepper will be a lot more nice to live with.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Ninja-ish EDIT: ^^^ Yeah, my weekday mileage is around 4. I bought a used car as my DD in April of 2017 with 27K miles on it. 30K miles in Oct of 2017; it has 35K now. $100 oil change is more than a "normal" oil change, sure, but acceptable.

InitialDave posted:

I didn't realise they were that old now. Time flies by without you noticing...

Depends how heavy your racing trailer setup is when loaded, too. Don't fall into the trap of buying way more towing capacity than you need if it compromises other things for you.

I've done some guesstimating but I don't actually know what the trailer will weigh. The trailer I'm looking at buying would be a 20'-er weighing 3500lbs with 7200lbs payload capacity. I expect the car to weigh 2500 lbs wet, and (the weakest part of my guess) there to be between 400 and 800 lbs of tools, accessories, and race equipment - jack, pancake air compressor and tank, hand tools, spares, pop-up, seat.

That brings me up pretty darn close to 6800 lbs towing needed with my very-shaky guesstimate.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 3, 2019

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ether Frenzy posted:

lol wut

Yeah, I'm super excited that these $5/hr cash-under-the-table immigrants are here to drive up demand on my $3000/mo 1 bedroom rental apartment because that's definitely a thing that happens

You've heard of trickle-down economics? Now try, trickle-up rentals!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So.... basically an rear end in a top hat with a blog that quotes what appears to be a pretty poor study. Yeah nah.

...are you objecting to the source, or are you actually trying to say that more people living in an area doesn't drive up rental prices?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Darchangel posted:

Don't you hate when you like/love a job, but management spoils it? Sorry that you had to nope out to make it better. Could've been worse - you could have become management! :) (Not always the worst thing, though.)

My management team just decided to change how on-call is handled, to the point that I'm going to be on-call once every 4 weeks. They haven't really considered that that equates to being unable to leave town or be more than 15 minutes from getting to my laptop for OVER ONE QUARTER OF THE YEAR. For a whole $2000 extra.

Don't you hate it when you order some specialized parts from an online company that you really need to get your build done, at the cost of over a thousand bucks, and they don't bother providing anything resembling a delivery date? Just nothing at all other than an e-mail receipt?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Is this not one of the best judgement calls you've seen? Just BARELY enough brakes and steering input to miss the cat, but not a spare MPH wasted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5cJd41EHPw&t=1005s

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Rhyno posted:

I have an end of service letter and confirmation number from Comcast with a final bill total of $45.

But my account is still open and is at $279 and they're refusing to backdate it despite me cancelling service over 60 days ago. I'm on hold again.

When I moved state-to-state, years back, I cancelled my Verizon tri-pack service over the phone. A year later I get a phone call from Verizon, asking me if it's OK to transfer my service to the new resident.

I said, "Transfer? What do you mean, transfer?"

Yeah, they tried to charge me for 11 months of service at an address I'd moved out of, after canceling the service a month before I left and turning the equipment in. After much back-and-forth and paperwork-showing their best, GRACIOUS offer was to reduce the something-like-$1600-in-bill-and-late-fees to just under a grand. I ended up just telling 'em to gently caress off and to send it to a collection agency because they wouldn't budge. My credit rating took a hit but frankly, gently caress 'em.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Too narrow, lotsa other people got hosed too.

While I'm always glad to see Trump take an L, next time I'd prefer if it didn't, you know, drive people into taking out shady loans, pawing their stuff, having to hunt for food handouts, etc.

You act like this hasn't happened every year for the past decade whenever one side or the other wanted some pork barrel spending for their pet project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That looks amazing. With four loving cats it would be wonderful for making both litter and cat-hair tumbleweeds go away. One more thing to design into the house we'll never build.

We accomplished this by buying two Roombas. It works fine, despite having to empty the bins every three days.