Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
2018 ruled so 2019 will probably also rule.

Knocked out two rooms worth of flooring and holy poo poo my old man back is killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

It's a new year, goons, let's make it a good one. :cheers:

I'm wiring in gfci outlets, a good start so far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Pick up one of these... they're cheap and they come in handy. You can pick up whatever brand at Home Depot or any place fine electronics are sold.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bend...ing+tester+120v

I should do that as I have about 50 more outlets to swap out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt Fox posted:

Get the one with the GFCI test button though.

I found my old Southwire basic one so that's gonna do for now.

Edit: Success! Every outlet I swapped out tested as correctly wired!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 1, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My dude I am so happy for you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

FWIW, not drinking saves you so much money.Those drinks when you go out really add up.

Which is why you should always pregame at home.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Get the flu, I weigh 3kg less now than before Christmas.

don't get the flu

Chili laced with my hot sauce yields similar results.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The same poo poo isnt going to work for everyone. The only reason I was able to get such radio results was because of the extreme grief I was dealing with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have an emergency scraper that is the size of a credit card. It's super thick though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I also bought one of those dumb ice scraper cones and it works really well on side windows but the curved portions of the windshield render it useless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I picked my wife up at the airport on Thursday the TSA was in full force.

I trolled a Trumper page on FB and suggested the Mexican President should start trolling Trump with checks written out for 5 billion pesos and these dudes have no chill at all or understanding of exchange rates.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Good to know, thanks! Scattered reports about excessive callouts due to being unpaid. I don't know the veracity of those reports, and the timeline is a little compressed for me on this trip, so I'm a little nervous, but you're probably right in that it should be fine. Worst case, I leave my meeting early to deal with it.

Ha, i just saw an article that we're to expect TSA agents and ATCs to start no showing until they get paid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got the corroded valve in the master bathroom to break free without actually breaking anything. Now we can finish the floor in there!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

Have no fear, a corroded as gently caress 20 year old valve will start dumping out water from the stem after you are done all your upgrades!

I have all new hardware waiting to go in!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Until the fitting is too far gone and once you cut it out, the piping is too short to connect properly, so you have to cut it further back to put a stub section in and you're 7 hours into a 1 hour job.

Hey.

Stop that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We have a Lowes and HD within 3 miles but I prefer Menards which is like 8 miles away,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

You completely missed the point. The store itself is less important than the number of trips per job.

I once made four trips to Kroger in one day and still managed to not buy everything on the list.

Menards is great though, they carry lots of the same brands as the other two and usually have lower prices and every other month they run the 11% rebate which just resulted in a $265 rebate check just off our November purchases.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my high school chums is an air traffic controller at a large airport in the midwest. He posted on FB that less than half the TSA agents in his airport are still showing up to work and the NATCA (their union) is pondering telling members to also cease showing up for work. He is also clear that he does not speak for anyone or the union but this is what's being talked about.

So uh, better fly while you can.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're still badass little cars. If I'd been in a better position financially I'd be driving one of those instead of the Miata.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm looking into getting a Miata myself.

A new/pre-owned brz/fr-s is first big boi job with no kids money.

A used Miata is a "first job above the poverty line" money.

Guess which one of those categories I fall into lol

I got the NC for a great price (I think Leica linked the one I eventually bought) but I also had a small inheritance to put towards it. If everything pans out for 2019 I'm entertaining a new car after we remodel the kitchen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dagen H posted:

thanks CenturyLink

I had Frontier years ago and it was total poo poo. Nice to see that has changed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

My takeaway: a 200 megabit pipe is faster than 99% of the US.

:ughh:

Hey I didn't put that there.

Edit : you ever take such an epic dump that you regret not weighing yourself before and after?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 9, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fender Anarchist posted:

Empathy is cool and good and the world could use ever more of it, just in my imo

Can't build a wall out of empathy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't wait til they start building it.

This is fuckin' AMERICA. Land of taking the lowest goddamned bid. That fuckin wall is going to be made out of repurposed cinder blocks and chicken wire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made a jokey post about a Canadian wall and one of my Trumpet friends commented that it won't happen until we have drug and human trafficking issues up north and I was like BRO do you have any idea how much weed I brought back from Canada in 2003?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Had a quick meeting this morning to confirm I am moving into a supervisor position when my current one leaves the company in the near future.

So that's aces.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That sucks. My department is almost always guaranteed two open OT shifts every weekend. And because of how they shuffled the dept right before I was hired I ended up with seniority based on hire date so I get first dibs on OT.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I saw a Ford Ecosport on the highway on my drive home and just processed that mentally. Not a bad looking little crossover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

keykey posted:

Is there any actual percentage of how BMW the new Supra is?

I'd love to see some guys like Roadkill hack one to bits and weigh the parts piles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the first interviews he said 300 burgers. He can't go 10 minutes without telling a lie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I pulled a toilet out yesterday so I could finish laying the vinyl flooring. I discovered the floor flange was cracked and a small piece was missing. My initial googling lead me to a fairly complicated repair involving cutting out the old flange (and upper pvc) and then gluing in the new flange all the while being very careful to not break the pipe or cut too deep. I wasn't too enthused about undertaking this task but I steeled myself and started preparing. Was looking at $150+ for parts and a saw that could do the job.

And then I spent more than 3 minutes searching and I discovered they make a repair/replace unit that goes directly over the broken one and fits under the toiler with zero clearance issues. And there's even one with a rubber cone that seals up against the toilet to double the protection the normal wax seal gives. And it's $18. Currently sitting here with a cider and surveying my newly placed flange repair and am pretty thrilled with how easy this was to do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JW2 is silly fun but not anywhere on the level of the original.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need an Instapot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pictures!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My father and I discussed this recentlym while I'd rather he love another 30 years we did need to hash some stuff out and I found out he'd forgotten to take his ex out of his will so I'm glad we found that out now. I'm sure my brother who made an rear end of himself at my wedding will demand a cut of anything dad leaves despite publicly stating how much he hates our father and wishing I'll upon him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In further proof that January is always the worst month, I just got word an old friend died of an OD today.

Just got more info. He was a pretty bad alcoholic and had a known issue with his liver but was unable to quit drinking. He got really sick, went to the hospital and went into septic shock and didn't make it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 20, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah. It's awful, his life had been really rough over the last few years which is what lead to his increased substance abuse. We were never super tight but we go way back to my days working bars. Reall good dude. Real shame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I never used to care about the NFL until Tom Brady arrived. Now I follow it just to watch the embarrassing moment when his career is finally ended and I can go back to only pretending to follow hockey at parties.

gently caress, I hate him.

He's probably gonna retire with six rings, I dunno if it'll be all that embarrassing. There's far worse players out there, like Ben Roethlisberger for example. He's an actual piece of poo poo whereas Brady is just a cheater.

So, friends ex wife is trying really hard to sell the ODd narrative for some reason. It's really unpleasant to see this unfolding the day he died.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh no, she's trying to make him out to look like a lovely person even in death. Without too much detail, he took a great financial risk many years ago and it did not go well and they were pretty much ruined. She divorced him and got everything that was left and he ended up in his parents basement as he tried to rebuild his life. She's been making GBS threads on him ever since and that she's trying to do it on the day he died is enraging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

Not to be too insensitive but maybe she's just not bright and genuinely interprets it as an OD?

You know, don't attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

She's been actively loving with his life since the divorce, she has been corrected on the cause of death and still persists.

She is not a nice lady.