Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Drove 2400 miles last week to watch my football team lose to the refs, but welcome 2019. You better not suck.

Count me in for dry Jan as well, I drank my weight in beer this week, so probably time to give the liver a rest.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

nm posted:

When I lived in minnesota, I remember driving a California car I bought from my dad back via new Mexico and the fluid freezing in the lines just before abq on a pass.
I assume it was 32 degree fluid. I went to the auto zone in abq and was shocked all they had was 20f fluid when in Minnesota, everything was -40. I drained the California fluid in my hotel parking lot once it got warm enough that morning, but a small about of 20f in and waited until I was far north enough to get some real loving washer fluid.

Now that I live in California, I get mildly worried about the 32F stuff I use when it drops to 30F overnight and the stop careing.

Also that same car had the hood shock fail when it wouldn't start at -20f some morning. I had my head under ig and that poo poo was heavy.
Proper hood props only, none of those fancy shocks from now on.

Just slap some vice grips on the shock to turn it into a prop. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

quote:

So I dropped my Subaru WRX off to be serviced at an OFFICAL Subaru service center. They called me to tell me my car was ready for pick up, when I arrived today I waited around 2 hours while they were "getting my car ready for pickup" to finally be told that they accidentally gave it to another customer. They offered a rental car for the meantime until they can get it back which they said would hopefully be in the next few days. Should I take any action against them/is there any action I can take against them.

EDIT:

Thank you all for all of the advice. I'm not good with legal stuff and if I had not posted here I probably would have walked out paying for a rental car. I called the cops and the employees got mad and stressed out immediately. Turns out one of the managers took it for a joyride and wrecked it which they admitted to while I called the cops. I still have not seen it but I was told the damage was extensive and that I would be held liable for payment to fix part of it. At this point I'm going to get a lawyer involved right? I shouldn't have to pay for anything they have messed up on. Even if they offer to cover fixing it I'm a little uneasy about that. now that it has been in a colision is has much less value and could be prone to future problems. They if I didn't get lawyers involved they would "cut me a deal" but I'm really not having that. Not to mention they have been lying to me for hours.

My location is Washington DC

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Source. Of course more people in an area drive up prices. California has the jobs so of course more people are going there.

However as pointed out it ain't those that would be blocked by a wall causing the problem. And isn't it the case that there is a net migration from shithouse red states to the big blue ones because of the jobs and in general the big blue states aren't backwater shitholes? Good luck stopping that.

Let alone anything I've read said there's basically fuckall NET migration going on from Mexico to the USA. It's even reversed lately at times.

Let alone cries about "California being sanctuary state!!! It's all dem illegals fault!!!" is in fact a racist dogwhistle. Example - the current racist in chief blowing as loving hard on said dogwhistle as he can.

In the most dense parts of Cali it's also comorbid with the 'MAH PROPERTY VALUES' NIBMY squad making it impossible to increase housing density despite increased population pressure to fill the jobs, and the idiotic property tax laws limiting increases to 2% per year despite housing values having gone up 350% in the last 30.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

If anyone is gonna start it it'll be Poland prolly.

I don't even want to think about it though the world stresses me out enough as it is.

So anyone else looking forward to test driving the new Supra? My credit score is over 800 now so I think they'll let me test drive it even though I only have like $3 grand to make as a down payment (not gonna buy it anyways so who cares).

I feel like it's disappointing on paper but I'm sure it'll be a whole lot of fun.

Our Orange Baby in the Oval Office is making noise about pulling out of NATO again right now. I'm sure a bunch of Europe re-arming heavily won't cause any problems...

Probably gonna skip the Supra, unless they've changed the interior dimensions a bit. They look real fun, and I like the body styling other than the roof tits, but I have yet to find a Toyota that's comfortable for my height.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 15, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

keykey posted:

Absolutely. I say all the time that it's a double-edged sword. On the up-side, you can find anything you want... On the down-side, you can find anything you want.

I can put up with idiots in exchange for being able to find a video tutorial of drat near anything I would ever want to know how to do in ten minutes. I remember what it was like trying to learn obscure poo poo like armor making back in the 1990's, when you had to know somebody who knew how or find a library with a rare usually out of print for decades book that had the info.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Broad non-competes like that generally aren't enforceable anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Man there are a lot of people on the internet who would never be able to afford one (or the last one) complaining that the new supra doesn't have a 2jz in it.

People realise that that engine is 30 years old, weighs a tonne and is pretty much garbage for anything other than drag racing or drift racing right?

Same reason you wouldn't stick a Barra in a Miata. Yeah it makes numbers on a dyno, but the first time you try to turn in, it understeers into the sea.

They think they want to make a drift pig out of a $50k car. Gymkhana videos are poison.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I thought Venom was watchable at least - Ready Player One I only got halfway before throwing out the USB stick it was on. I'ld have smashed said stick but that would have been a hard thing to explain on an aircraft - that movie is dogshit in every way possible. No, constant references to other poo poo dont make the movie good.

The movie is actually better than the book. I threw it away half way through when I realized I was checking my phone instead of reading.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fender Anarchist posted:

The revving mustang jackass whose garage is on my building finally kept it up for long enough for me to walk out and confront him. Well, apparently this time it was one of his buddies in a 370Z, there were like 4 of them standing there. Their excuse was "oh yeah it's a stick shift", cause apparently that necessitates banging off the limiter like 12 times in a row to move a car around, right? Then he changed tacks to straight up "Well, you know, if there's a problem, you can take it up with the front office! :)"

I am not enough of an rear end in a top hat to be doing this kind of poo poo.

Just call the cops om the non-emergency line and make a noise complaint. More effective than calling the front office.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Oh, back to house chat: Are you guys familiar with the wonder of self-leveling gel-cote paint? A video popped up for it in my YT suggestions and I thought it would be crap but there were so many real world testimonials that I gave it a shot. Did all the basement trim and just knocked out the closet door down here and it's nuts. No priming, just 1-2 coats and it looks incredible. The only downside is it's a high gloss so the wife isn't too hot on using it for every other room in the house.

Yeah, it's good stuff. Used to sell self-leveling enamel for Sherwin-Williams for a while just after high school, it was impressive how nice you could make trim look with it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Oooh, does SW have a non high gloss version? Like regular gloss?

Yeah, they do satin, semi, and gloss in ProClassic. poo poo's expensive as hell today though, like 80 bucks a gallon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I think it's more complicated than people acknowledge. China absolutely takes designs from items that we engineer in the US. They often make them better through revision, and cheaper... definitely cheaper.

But at the same time, we are making scores of billions of items on the backs of oppressed Chinese workers and everyone seems to be okay with that, because we get cheap stuff. I do the same thing, but I recognize that it's not the least bit fair. So then the Chinese government sanctions taking control of the designs and making them for profit for China. Unfortunately, that doesn't "trickle down" to the Chinese worker. So yeah. :smith:

Less 'everyone is okay with it' and more that it is so endemic in consumer goods that even if one could afford to insist on buying American for everything, the product often just plain doesn't exist.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

shy boy from chess club posted:

Nah I'm not worried about that, they aren't endangered or anything. Just like to let anyone that might not want to kill something know that they don't always have to. Skunks being unique since people think they will get sprayed but with a little awareness that's not usually the case. My sister and I caught one by accident when we were kids and it just fell asleep in the trap and animal control just opened the door and let it go. I have no problem killing something if it's a problem. There is a feral cat I've shot a few times with my .177. It's 1300fps but not quite enough to kill him unless I get a head shot. If my neighbors weren't as close I would have killed him with a shotgun by now. The rear end in a top hat has sprayed in my garage and sat outside my bedroom window at night making noise and I won't feel bad when he's gone.

Use a paintball gun next time. It won't kill them, but it will hurt enough that they don't come back. I got rid of a groundhog that was living under my friends' shed that way a couple years ago.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I have one couple friends that are poly and their marriage is doomed. He was into it at the beginning but now she's just banging every dude she can and he just wants her and nobody else. It's really sad to watch.

This is 99.9999% of all poly relationships. Some people make it work, but they are absolutely unicorns.

In other news, the noises a CVPI makes after a night out in -20 degree weather are alarming. If you thought Ford power steering noise was loud, wait until you hear it when the PS fluid is trying to congeal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Um yeah, all the banging sounds fun and all, but when it comes down to actually living that lifestyle no thanks, I can't even imagine the train wrecks some of those relationships end up in. But if you can make it work more power to you.

You don't have to imagine, the r/relationships thread in GBS curates them for you.

More power to people if they can hack it, but jealousy and lack of communication tends to cause implosions.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I like the imperfections vinyl introduces to recordings. That's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I need some new, small, flashlights. Nothing bigger than an 18650 cell.

What should I be looking for in current portable suns?

Streamlight stylus pro is my go-to. Cheap, durable, and bright as gently caress.