Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

InitialDave posted:

Has anyone alerted the Canadian authorities yet?

They apologized profusely. (congra-dolences!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

...you're probably safer assuming doctors are stupid about everything outside of their immediate specialty. It's loving scary sometimes.

ftfy. Sometimes it is the truth.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

It's well known that if you have a bad investment, pitch it to doctors.
Yeah, but no more than sometimes it's true that anyone you're talking to at any given time is stupid about everything, and most times people have at least one subject about which they are not stupid.

Absolutely, I'm just being a cheeky rear end in a top hat. Wife is an NP and her youngest brother is an ortho. surgeon, and both are, to my understanding, great at what they do.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Isn't that backwords? Raid 0 is striping and raid 1 is mirror.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

More info pls. I'm ripping a ton of my dvds and upping the resolution even a bit would be kinda cool.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I rather like Handbrake for DVDs, and MakeMKV for Blu-ray. Or MakeMKV for both. Handbrake used to be able to do Blu-ray, but the add-ones don’t seem to work reliably any more, or are just a pain to make work.
MakeMKV requires a license, however, it’s still in beta, so the license is free from the forum. It just has to be re-entered every month.

I'm using MakeMkv for DVD and bluray. Seems to be going ok. Slow because I'm using an extrnal USB2.0 reader, but it gets the job done.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I'd like to just get a nas that can run plex, that way my library is available without having to turn on my "theater" mini. However, I'm a little leery of most consumer grade stuff. Anecdotal, I know, but GN has gone through 2 synology arrays that had something fail within the first 6 months.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

NS: The highlander is nice. That’s basically our car, except we have half the miles.

My biggest gripes about it so far:

Bluetooth is solid, but an annoying behavior: if it catches my wife’s phone before I finish pulling out of the driveway, once it drops that signal it won’t pick up mine (fails to connect) until I turn the car off and on again. Anecdotal: On my old phone (moto x-pure) sometimes Bluetooth would connect but the sound was jittery garbage.

At 24k miles we just had to replace front brakes. Sliders were sticking/corroded so inner pads were excessively worn. $500 to have shop do it.

With 3rd row up, storage is sparse. But that’s not going to be a problem for you.

SD: they’re not small fun cars, but I love our odyssey and the highlander is a pretty close second to me. Highlander has more power, but the odyssey wins on utility for family.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 6, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

A Mazda, in Detroit? It’s probably half rust by now, :v:

Unrelated, work travel to N Indianapolis this week. Im less worried about on the way out, since btv is a small airport, but coming back, the whole shutdown/tsa issue could be....problematic. This should be fun!

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

When I picked my wife up at the airport on Thursday the TSA was in full force.

Good to know, thanks! Scattered reports about excessive callouts due to being unpaid. I don't know the veracity of those reports, and the timeline is a little compressed for me on this trip, so I'm a little nervous, but you're probably right in that it should be fine. Worst case, I leave my meeting early to deal with it.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

One of my high school chums is an air traffic controller at a large airport in the midwest. He posted on FB that less than half the TSA agents in his airport are still showing up to work and the NATCA (their union) is pondering telling members to also cease showing up for work. He is also clear that he does not speak for anyone or the union but this is what's being talked about.

So uh, better fly while you can.

Currently sitting at an airport leaving home. Good times! :v:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Wait you're off and on the Cox again!!?! I'm so confused! :v:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Dagen H posted:

I want to read the terms of service.

I pledge allegiance to the flag...

Edit: I apologize for my crappy humor. Long day, I'm sitting in DTW waiting on a connection and just had a huge better with a fairly tasty burger. I'm feeling a little punchy, apparently

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 8, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Wishing you'll what upon him? :v:

We've set out basic wills and I've also had that talk with my parents. In that regard, they're on board with me managing everything if/when it happens. Glad to have it done and have an idea of expectations/plans.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

What OM said.

Just hooking up jumpers may not be enough. I helped a neighbor jump their rav4 once, and had to rev the snot out of our car to get enough juice for the rav to even turn over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I could go either way on that argument. Vacuums are vacuums. Roomba has branding behind it, but if some company can piece together from an available catalog (something something reinventing the robowheel), iterate and improve upon a design, is it really IP theft?

The corp is literally in beijing, so you certainly have a point though...