Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

2018 sucked a lot. Here's to hoping 2019 is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

It also takes 0w-30 euro diesel oil iirc, which should be fun to find. And like 8-9 quarts of it. $100 diy oil changes hoooooo.

Why did you send me down this rabbit hole?

It looks like Mobil 1 ESP meets the euro spec. You're right that it's gonna be a $100 oil change but I would expect someone purchasing a newer Porsche as a tow vehicle to be ok with this. Also not particularly hard to find, just expensive.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hey EEs.

I have a 36v golf cart, 6 - 6v batteries. I'm going to add some 12v accessories (low load, small HU and tiny LED light bars that are on a 1A fuse). Does it matter where in the bank that I grab 12v from, regarding uneven battery loading? Like, would it be better to hit the middle of the bank or one end, or does it make no difference?

In any case, we will be careful about the less than ideal uneven discharging that will occur, and I know that it will shorten the life of those two batteries especially if abused. Just trying to mitigate the abuse if possible.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sgt Fox posted:

Voltage divider means that you'll be dissipating the 24V voltage drop from your 36V as wasted energy. Going to need a pretty large power resistor for that one.

Better to get a DC-DC converter to step the 36V down to 12V. Common ones use a buck coverter regulator. Here is a cheap one thats rated at 20A:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLF-CART-DC-BUCK-CONVERTER-20-AMP-48V-36V-VOLTAGE-REDUCER-REGULATOR-TO-12V-20A-/332636767119

Done. Thanks, perfect solution. I did not know that DC voltage converters were so cheap!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If Obama pulled a stunt like this, it would have been an actual cookout with Barack wearing a "kiss the cook" apron while he manned a regular old charcoal grill, probably smoking a cigar.

And that would have been awesome.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I just married my brother and his wife. It's an odd day.

Username/post combo?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

And you could buy like 35 of my eureka uprights that also works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The best thing about silicone rings is that they're far more comfortable than any metal. Also come in rad colors.