Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

the spyder posted:

Starting 2019 with a head cold. 2018 worked out though. Can't complain :).

Join the club, except with an ear infection and sinusitis on top of that. :sigh:

GF seems to have caught the cold, so there's an upside at least. :v: (I might be a dick...)

Worked a half day today (5 hours) instead of 11 hours. I'm okay with that, actually made decent money. I spent most of the afternoon dozing on the couch with two cattes keeping my crotch and chest warm.

The NP-in-a-box at CVS gave me rx Zyrtec. It's the same dosage as OTC, but since she gave it to me as an rx, a month's supply is a whopping $1. With 11 refills. She thought the sinusitis was very likely related to allergies (cedar fever :fuckoff:).

Everdave posted:

I have never seen 8gb ddr2 and I have had a computer shop for almost 7 years. Sometimes there is another slot under keyboard on those older laptops what model?

It's an Asus K60I of some sort. Seems pretty easily serviceable, pop the bottom off and everything is right there. Looks like it'll be a cakewalk to upgrade the NIC to a 2.4/5 GHz card instead of just 2.4 (looks like a standard PCIx slot).

Darchangel posted:

In my experience, Win10 will activate with a Win7 or 8 COA. I don't know how you did it, but this has worked for me in the past. You just need to use the MS Media Creation Tool to DL the ISO or installer. MS seems to really want to get everyone off of 7/8.

I did a fresh Win7 install using the OEM key, then downloaded the media creation tool. Selected "upgrade this PC". Worked fine, OS shows it's activated via a "digital license". I did get a curveball when Win7 wouldn't activate on its own - had to call the MS activation line. Odd, since it'd only ever had 1 OS reinstall. I'm used to that on a key that's been used multiple times. I'm guessing MAYBE it was an OEM license and I'd tossed a new drive in it + dead optical drive?

I had done a factory reset on it before it got put into storage, but I wanted to toss my old SSD in it, so I started from scratch with an ISO on bootable USB. Win10 seems to have found almost all the drivers it needed (there's one "!" in device manager, haven't bothered figuring out what it is since display, sound, and network all work fine).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks, I'll double check. I only saw one, but I didn't look too closely.

edit: cover off. SO-DIMM is confirmed to be 2GB, with what looks like some RAM soldered to the board below the slot. 1 slot. Guessing 2GB soldered, 2GB added on. So I may be able to swap the 2GB DIMM for a 4GB, bumping the total system RAM to 6GB? Better than 4GB, anyway. BIOS and Windows both see 4GB.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 1, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pentium T4400, which is an earlier mainstream 64 bit CPU. it has a 64 bit version of Win10 installed, and the OS (and BIOS) recognizes all 4 GB. For how old it is, it's a bit above mediocre.

Unlike a lot of the low end netbooks on the market, which have a 64 bit CPU with a 32 bit BIOS. And soldered RAM + SSD with no upgrades possible.:fuckoff:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly, I need to find the manual for the thing and see if it even supports a 4GB SO-DIMM anyway. The onboard RAM threw me a bit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GF has possible strep, I have a sinus and ear infection.

Can't talk her into going to the loving doctor. She wanted me to let her boss (who I'm casual friends with) know she wouldn't be in today, so I might have thrown in the strep word. Her boss said she's not coming back without doctor's clearance. :angel:

(she has well over 100 sick hours to burn, so it's not like she's gonna lose money by being sick.. she just HATES doctors)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Entering my second week with an ear infection and sinus infection and just overall poo poo feeling. Went to an urgent care place today, instead of CVS's Minute Clinic.

Instead of another round of amox, they threw a z pack at me, some kind of steroid (in-office), tessalon perles (meh), and codeine cough syrup. The ear infection was still there, sinus infection obviously still there. A bit miffed when I found out my insurance wouldn't cover the cough syrup (my copay on generic is $1, retail on it was $18), but I found a coupon on goodrx.com that brought it down to $8 and change.

That's your daily STR update.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

hell yeah get ya lean on

It's got guaifenesin in it, so yeah, can't take enough to get mah lean on. It turns my nose into a snot faucet.

Tomarse posted:

yeah, its much easier just doing a fresh install on the new SSD and then putting the old one into the enclosure to pull off any data you want.

The usb media creation tool has always worked perfectly for me.

This. Unless it's going to be a massive PITA reinstalling everything from scratch, you're better off starting from scratch.

And expect to have to call Microsoft to get an activation key - the licenses get a hardware fingerprint. Swapping the HDD was enough to piss it off on my free-to-me laptop.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

I had to do a couple of Windows 7 reactivations at work recently, there's an automated web form for reactivations.

If you call it'll prompt you to feed it a mobile phone number and they text you the above link.

It offered me that option, but I wanted to stick with what I knew and hated. :corsair: Plus it was easier to just scream the activation ID at it vs trying to type it on the phone. I have big fat sausage fingers, phone keyboards and I don't get along very well.

ilkhan posted:

9:10pm, we get out a bath and my fiancee asks for fries from McDonald's. Say sure, open the door and greeted by 4 inches of fresh snow and more falling. Grumble grumble.

Meanwhile we whacked 70 here today, and forecast high of 75 tomorrow. I'm ready for loving winter; we've barely gotten into the high 20s overnight this season. All of the allergens are loving exploding, and all of the trees and etc are going "so do we shed our leaves or not?".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

64bit_Dophins posted:

I put 93 in my 2.3L Accord and it runs so much smoother.

I hit redline this morning for the first time in recent memory while I was merging onto the highway and it was loving awesome.

It smelled like oil for a second... but it was still awesome lol

Seafoam that bitch and check the timing, that motor shouldn't ever ping on 87 unless it's like 130 degrees outside. The F23 is pretty overbuilt (so long as you keep oil in it, it loves to mark its territory via the front and rear crank seals, also the cam seal). They don't usually start smoking until they're well past 200k, unless they've been run low on oil or don't get wound up often.

They really hate being run low on oil though. Especially since Honda didn't use cam bearings on them (or, really, any of their oldschool 4 cylinders). But it'd be telling pretty loud knock knock jokes if that'd happened (they'll run longer than most other Honda engines with knock knock jokes, but they won't be happy).

Now that I think about it, I don't even know if any other F series had a knock sensor. The F23A1 definitely had one, I'm not sure if the F22 family (90-97) got one though. I know the D series, even VTEC versions, didn't have one until 1996 on USDM cars.

Sgt Fox posted:

Description states it can handle 5A of current. That most likely isn't enough for two LED running lights. What are the specs on your lights?

Either way, if your lights need more than 5A, you could add a simple relay to that module to get your higher current switching.

Just spitballing, but I'm gonna guess the two of them combined are probably right at 5A. Or less.

Problem with using a relay is that module is very likely using PWM to dim the lights, so they'll still run at full brightness with the lights on if a relay is being used (or the relay will chatter like crazy, causing the lights to flash like crazy).

AA, got a multimeter? Put it into ohms/resistance mode, use the probes on one light (if you get infinite, swap the probes around - LEDs are polarity-sensitive). Some mathing will ballpark how much power they use (math for ~13.8v, the lowest voltage you should see with the car running - which will give a lower amperage than 12v).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 10, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A lot less than :10bux: at Harbor Freight, just don't try to measure significant current with it unless you want to see magic smoke.

Walmart sells the same meter in a different color for about :10bux:. It's fine for very basic stuff. I vomited a bit more info in the stupid questions thread, but you'll probably need to run some wiring unless you can trick the BCM into running the factory "fogs" without the headlights on (they were a dealer-installed option using the wiring you found, but Toyota tends to run "fogs" only if the low beam headlights are on).

Sgt Fox posted:

If you are going to measure with a multimeter, put it in DC amp mode and switch the leads. Put the meter in line with the light and measure the current flowing through.

As for that module, I was assuming he just wanted it to turn the lights on while the car was running, the yellow dimming wire was optional. Those OEM units may not support dimming anyway.

Good point. I've never noticed many newer xB's on the road here, otherwise I'd (possibly) know this. The bulk of the ones I see are first generation; almost all of the 2nd gen ones I see are pre-facelift.

Going with amp mode may blow the LEDs if they don't have reverse-polarity protection and he guesses wrong. Yes, I'm well aware LEDs are diodes, but depending on the quality, they may not like trying to block current going the wrong way.

If they don't support dimming, you could them off when the headlights are on by grounding through, say, a positive wire going to a parking light, or a positive wire to a low beam headlamp. That would essentially give 0V across the circuit (probably +/- a couple of volts, but no telling if whatever protection circuit in the DRLs would appreciate that).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 10, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GF just started loudly started proclaiming her love for Nyquil at the top of her lungs. I think she went by the old "if a little is good, a lot is much better" dosing guide. :catdrugs:

Robotripping on Nyquil is not something you should do if you like your kidneys, liver, or contents of your stomach. Instead, you should find the cough-only version of the grocery store brand of cough syrup (the one with only [chemical I'm not going to type out because this isn't TCC]) (and even then, why are you robotripping once you're out of high school?). But hey, she's in the middle of babby's first robotrip. Which means I get to play trip sitter crash on the couch and zone out to the TV. And very likely I'll get to call her boss in an hour and a half to explain why she won't be at work. At least I'm friends with her boss... and her boss and I have a bit in common with, uh, our chemical usage histories. GF is on thin ice due to taking so much time off for being sick without a doctor's note though (she absolutely refuses to go to a doctor unless she's literally dying... pretty sure she has strep, and almost 3/4 of her department has been calling out sick for several days now, for strep.. and oh my mom and stepdad both have strep after our visit.... I don't have tonsils, so my chances of getting strep are a bit diminished, but I've been sick as poo poo too.. TWICE.. got well, then got sick again with something different, finally getting over that. And I feel something else coming on. :fuckoff:)

tl;dr can you guys please pee in the well some more so long as she's the one in it?

e: I looked at the bottle of (store brand) nyquil, there's not nearly enough missing from it to warrant an OHSHIT, GET EMS FOR ACETAMINOPHEN OD. The cough suppressant ingredient very much affects people differently based on their weight, she's <110 lbs soaking wet. So even a "normal" adult dose would have her borderline robotripping.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 10, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oof.

Looks like you did alright on the payout, at least - not many WRXs on the local Craigslist, but I found a clean private party 08 for $10k w/full maint history and a new timing belt + clutch (more miles, though), and dealers seem to be listing 04-05s for about what you got. Did his insurance pay, or is your insurance gonna have to go after him?

Did insurance even bother giving you a written estimate of what it would take to fix, or did they just take one look and say "ayup, we're not touching that"? Kinda curious what the estimate would have been. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 11, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So GF's car insurance renewal came in. Her mom pays for her car insurance :rolleyes: (seriously, at 40?!). After seeing the renewal quote, I can see why (she showed it to me and asked if I thought it was a good price, and if I thought she was well covered....)

Her mom is paying $2400/year to insure a 14 year old base model Matrix with $750 deductibles (full coverage, and 50/100/50 limits vs the state minimums). GF has perfect credit, her mom's credit is excellent as well. I know I plan to leave soon, but holy poo poo, I'm waiting for Geico to get back to me about adding her to my policy. Having her on my policy would mean I can legitimately use her car for work when the Saturn is down (I have a hybrid policy, but it doesn't cover me for work use on someone else's car or a rental - only personal protection in that case). I have $250 deductibles, no collision, same liabilities, RIDESHARE AND DELIVERY POLICY that also covers personal use, and a credit score below 600, for less than $700/year. :stare: I can toss her off my policy later if I need to. And I may be able to get my rates down slightly since the Saturn is now garaged instead of parked in a lot.

I can see carrying collision on her car, it's worth a bit more than the Saturn (plus has half the miles), but holy pope on a rope, $2400 is the kind of rate you pay if you've been in multiple at-fault accidents. I've had 3 collision claims in 5 years (none my fault, but still claims), and still pay a fraction of what her mom is paying for her.

e: for those wondering why the gently caress I'd be adding her to my policy when I plan to break up soon-ish; I've known her mom for something like 25 years. Her mom is a retired university professor with a not-great pension, and she retired early, so she doesn't get to collect the full amount of SSI she'd normally be entitled to (retired at 62, went back to work for a few years, then re-retired... she's in her late 70s now). Her mom's always been awesome to me. I don't like seeing her daughter bleed her bank account to the tune of $2400/year. Especially for a car worth maybe $4000 on a good day (worth that solely because it has low miles for its age - the paint is hosed, it has accident history, and the interior is showing its age).

AnnoyBot posted:

There is no "him". The other car was found abandoned and is in impound, so it's my uninsured motorist covering. Mine also has new timing belt/radiator/water pump, and had the takata airbag replaced. Payout after deductible is actually $8600, I just looked. The report is shockingly detailed "your tires are meh, seats kind of dirty, paint ok, engine is gross, etc". But no estimate to fix.

In theory, the owner's insurance should cover it...... So long as he/she didn't claim it was stolen. In which case, his insurance is out of the window. If he's stupid enough to admit to it, then he's facing (likely felony) charges, and his insurance might own up to it. (:laffo: who am I kidding, they'll look for every way out) It was some dude racing, right?

This is exactly why I carry UM/UIM on every car I own, no matter how much of a shitbox it may be. It's dirt cheap, and in many states, it covers hit and runs (including my state, and apparently yours). I've had to lean on it twice.

This is also why anytime I've had a claim, I make sure to clean the interior before the adjuster shows up; if I can drive it, I'll run it through a car wash and hit the engine with degreaser. Even if I can't drive it, I'll clean out the inside, vacuum it, clean the dash/windows, etc. Just to make it a lot more presentable, and make it obvious the car is generally taken care of.

On my last UM/UIM claim, the claims adjuster mentioned he could tell it was a beater (front bumper held on by tape on one side, paint damage from being egged before I bought it, etc), but could also tell I took very good care of it. He told me it was within a few hundred of a write off, but went on to say that the cleanliness helped the value enough to keep it repairable (as did the receipts for new tires, recent work done, etc). I make it a habit to pressure wash the engine bay of every car I own every few month (mainly so I can spot new leaks, but also because I loving hate working on a dirty engine).

If it's not too late, ask your insurance company if they'll consider the recent work toward the valuation, assuming you have receipts. And your insurance will definitely be trying to track down the owner anyway (they don't hand out money for free!); if the ignition cylinder wasn't punched out, they may eventually wind up paying out. But in a lot of states, a UM/UIM claim shouldn't affect your rates anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 11, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

Jesus, and 40 years old? How many claims/tickets does she have?

1 claim. Ever. Not at fault collision about 10 years ago (she got stuck in the middle of a 4 car pileup, I think her UM/UIM wound up fixing her car since the person who caused it didn't have enough coverage). No tickets in at least 15 years. Her mom's claim history is a lot worse (especially since her vision has started going; she stopped driving recently), but it's a completely different policy. Both have excellent credit.

She's with Farmers - I was with them at one point and found their rates decent, so I don't know WTF. :shrug:

Meanwhile, I have a hybrid policy (commercial/personal), I've had probably 10 claims in my life (most not at fault or comprehensive, one at fault), have terrible credit, disclose that I drive 30k a year, and pay less than $700/year (I don't carry collision and carry lower liability limits, but I also have $250 deductibles for everything).

AnnoyBot posted:

If it ends up being UM, I should get my deductible back.

Interesting. In TX you have to pay $251 for a UM/UIM deductible. You can't have it higher or lower.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

To be fair, the 1MZ-FE was used in a bunch of cars, and had fairly significant changes over the years - it had a run from 1993-2007 in the US. A bit longer than Honda's F series (1990-2002), though Honda's F series (I mean the one in the Accord, not the one in the S2000) never required premium.

Supposedly, the Lexus ECUs had more aggressive tuning; the Toyota versions (in the US) were used in the Sienna, Solara, Camry, and Avalon - not exactly sporty cars (the Solara was basically a convertible Camry coupe, but still far from sporty unless you're 65). The Toyota versions also didn't get VVTi until late in the game, while the Lexus versions got it a lot earlier (the VVTi versions are also where they became interference engines... the non-VVTIs are not interference). I don't have any way of confirming if the Lexus ECUs had more aggressive tuning or not personally, though I know mom's 03 Avalon with 175k (1MZ-FE w/VVTi, same motor in meatpimp's Avalon) seems to run exactly the same no matter what octane it gets (it's seen very regular maintenance, and looking in via the spark plug holes shows very little carbon, so maybe that helps?).

Honda was extremely conservative with their tuning on the F22/F23, still used only a MAP sensor (no mass air flow sensor), and they didn't even get knock sensors until 1996 or or so. Toyota always had a knock sensor on that motor, MAF, and I'm fairly sure the 1MZ-FE was always coil-on-plug (if not, they went to COP in the mid 90s). Honda was using a distributor until the end of the 6th gen Accord run (2002, which also marked the end of the F series); I'm pretty sure that was also the last Honda in the US market to have a distributor.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The giant question mark is whether or not a given engine's factory programming will do this. Anything modern will certainly adjust timing around, but the computer will only advance timing so far - if the maximum allowed isn't advanced enough to need more than 87 octane, then there wouldn't be any benefit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 14, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

This may be the key. Same motor, same car. I see a difference, STR doesn't. I know that when I'm working a car over, it sees binary throttle and redline... a lot. Enough to see the timing change over time and per-key-cycle (when I first got the Avalon it had seen nothing but crap gas and lovely maintenance. The first tank of 93 was noticeable as the ECU only adjusts timing so much per key cycle).

But I wonder how many people that talk about differences or not in their cars are really getting to the point where the knock sensor even comes into play. Most people I drive with never, ever use the upper end of the RPM range...

Like you said, it's possible the PO used poo poo gas; being an Avalon, I'd guess it's more likely they were a typical Avalon owner and were afraid of taking it past 2500 rpm or 25 MPH, so it's probably carboned up to hell and back. At least with mom, she lives and works in an area with high traffic (and her entire work commute is major roads), so 99% of the gas stations she uses have very high turnover in their tanks (she also sticks with a few major brands, all of which are Top Tier). Admittedly she rarely hits highway speeds (she's 70, and doesn't like going over ~50), but she's a fan of the "stand on it enough that it's shifting beyond 4500 RPM until I'm passing people, then let off until I'm still slightly pulling ahead of traffic, WTF OFFICER NO I WAS NOT DOING 13 OVER, goddamnit where do I sign the ticket" method of acceleration. The road her workplace is on has a 45 mph limit with traffic typically moving at 55-60, so she has to stand on it to get out of the parking lot. The main roads around her house also typically move at ~50 (she did actually get popped, and written, for 13 over recently... senior citizen in an Avalon with handicapped plates getting a speeding ticket is just :laffo: to me)

I'm not sure if yours has the dashboard trip computer (it was an option on both the XL and XLS, IIRC) - if yours does, you may have noticed the average MPG mostly resets every time you add gas (it doesn't show an obvious reset, but as soon as you start driving, it's obvious it's been reset because it drops like a rock as soon as you drive out of the gas station - the owner's manual also describes this behavior as normal, at least for the 03). Every time I drive it, I beat the snot out of it, and somehow I bring the average MPG up (over hers) slightly every time. (... maybe because I don't sit in the car with it idling for 30 minutes while I'm yakking on the phone? :iiam:)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that motor does not have a knock sensor

Technically correct. It has two of them.

And they're a complete bitch to replace. Look up Toyota/Lexus V8 starter replacement. Similar job to get to MZ knock sensors.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Honda F22A, which is the motor I was talking about, does not have a knock sensor.

64bit_Dophins has a F23A1, which does have a knock sensor - IIRC, it's located just above the oil filter (same place as on the B, D, and H series).

It's the same location as the knock sensor on the OBD2 B and D VTEC motors. How do I know this? It's STUPID easy to knock the wire off of the knock sensor when you have to hulk on the oil filter to break it loose. I knocked my 96 Civic into limp home mode a couple of times by knocking the wire off of the knock sensor when doing oil changes.

My 95 VTEC Civic, OTOH, did not have the sensor. It had a blank spot where it could be drilled and tapped, but there was no sensor.

I want to say the 97 model year F22A had a knock sensor. Maybe, just mayyyyybe, the 96 as well; if they did, it was very much an afterthought to comply with OBD2 (which is also why the 5th gen OBD2 Accords had the OBD2 port behind the ashtray, instead of under the dash). But all F23 engines (except for possibly the A5) had it on US models.

I'm not sure how Honda got away without a knock sensor so long on VTEC engines, but they really didn't start using them on USDM models until OBD2 was a thing. They didn't change jack poo poo about their engines for OBD2 except to add the knock sensor and an intake air temp sensor, at least on the B, D, and H series engines. The D16's VTEC variant got renamed from the Z6 to the Y8, though I believe it underwent some internal changes that... basically weakened it (factory redline on the Y8 [96-00] was a bit lower than the Z6 [92-95]).

Where's doogie when you need him :smith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 14, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

I gave my boss a month's notice, which is unheard of in the service industry, and he decided that I'm not going to be on the schedule anymore after a week and a half because I called in sick one day. The money would have been nice to be able to hold out longer until I secured a new job, but :shrug:

A new GM came in to my last service industry job, and he promptly cut me from 40 hours a week to 4 (his excuse? "I don't like you." - I was the primary closer, so...). I put in my 2 weeks, he fired me on the spot. Cue watching him scramble to find closers for over a month too. :v: (the store wound up closing about 3 months after he took over)

Joke's on him, I'd never had a writeup, that franchisee had a very strict set of written rules for writeups/terminations, and I'd been 40 hours a week for over a year. Plus I'd actually been reporting most of my tips (normally unheard of in the service industry, but I deposited my tips in the bank every night on the way home, so I wanted to be mostly by the book in case of an audit), so when they lost the unemployment claim, they wound up paying me more than the below minimum wage I'd been making by a good chunk. The dumb gently caress didn't even "show up" for the unemployment hearing (it was done by phone), so I won by default.

My very first job (not counting a Quiznos job where I lasted a week), I was internal tech support for a Fortune 500. I was trying to go to college full time after a year, which would require switching to the night shift - they had 2 spots open for overnights. I applied, they said they needed me too much for the 7a-4p shift. So I put in my 2 weeks, said my goodbyes, etc. An hour before I was scheduled off on my last day, my boss and security came up to me laughing, and said they needed to search my desk and backpack, laughing the whole time like it was a big funny joke (at that point, I had been writing most of the training manuals for internal help desk, and a whole lot for external). Security just gave my bag a once over, saw a few binders, I said they were school work (I was 19 at the time), got a laughing escort out to the lobby (as soon as the door closed to the major part of the building, he stopped laughing, and he said "your boss is a loving dick", I said I know). Nope, what I had with me was the only physical copy of all of the training documentation I wrote, with school-looking stuff on the covers and dividers of the binders, and I'd erased it from my work PC (and defragged the HDD immediately after). It'd never been put on a network share, and their one PC guy in the building was.... well, "incompetent" would be an insult to most incompetent PC techs.

Friend that still worked there said once ex-boss figured out what I had done, he was loving livid, and as it turned out, part of the employee handbook stated anything I created on or off the clock was their property (be it poetry, photography, porn, whatever - any "creative or technological works"). But they "lost" my benefit paperwork (loving me out of medical benefits, even when I had made a copy of everything that my boss and HR signed off on), then refused to let me change shifts after a year when I had the best metrics on the IHD. They apparently only backed up network shares, and I'd never saved any of this to a share (I mean, FFS, the PC in my cube was a 486 running Win95....). This company is still around as a Fortune 500, though. I think the only reason I got away with it is (a) that drat Scooby Doo gang with their meddling kids (b) my desk was always a mess and (c) I was always bringing classwork with me to work on during slow times, so binders and books in my backpack was something security was used to seeing (I took ~10-15 calls a day, with about 1/4 being escalated to either mainframe support or level 2 pc support, so I had plenty of time between calls - enough that several calls I took a day were credit card point of sale support [overflow for the rest of the helpdesk in that building]). I never heard anything about it personally, just third party via friends that still worked there.

That was 20 years ago, I'm not too worried about it coming back to bite me today. I learned a bit later that I was also forbidden from working for any call center or company involved with technology for 10 years as part of the NDA, but they also didn't really enforce that (the friend that got me hired there to begin with works as an IC in whitehat security these days, and has ever since he left there).

slidebite posted:

So we got an instant pot for Christmas, tried it twice with instant pot recipes and they both sucked. Anyone have a recipe which doesn't suck?

Beans! Any kind of legume, but pinto beans are where it's at if you're in Texas.

I use a vegan-based recipe, but substitute chicken broth (I use Knorr chicken bouillon, but it's the same poo poo as broth, just a bit more salt - I don't have to add much salt at all when using that). Usually cook for 12-15ish if they're soaked, 20 if they're not (don't soak them if you want everyone to fart :laffo:). Pretty much anything with chicken works really well too, same with cheap cuts of beef roast. Skip the cinnamon in that pinto bean recipe, IMO.

I haven't made a ton of other stuff in it besides "baked" potatoes, roasts, and hard boiled eggs. On the pot roasts, add the carrots when everything else is done, and cook for ~5-7 minutes, otherwise you get orange mush where the carrots were.

There's a lot of stuff an IP isn't good for that people still try to use it for. Basically, anything that you normally cook for hours, or use a slow cooker for, can be converted to an IP recipe easily (use less liquid). It's a so-so slow cooker ("low" is really keep warm, "medium" is really an 8-10 hour setting for a Crock Pot, "high" is a 6 hour setting), and an okay rice cooker. It's not the be-all-end-all all-in-one cooker that so many people say it is, but it's really great at a lot of stuff.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 17, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It was the 1990s.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Now that's a though. Put this bag of organs to good use - I don't need it any more.

Yeah, my liver and kidneys will be completely and thoroughly trashed once I'm done with them. Someone might be able to use the lungs, or the eyes, if they don't mind glasses. 40 and still don't need bifocals or reading glasses (but I do smoke a lot of "glaucoma medication", maybe that helps? :350:)

meatpimp posted:

In other news, my local grocery has a sale on Jardine's salsa. I tried the Hatch Green Chili and it was yummy. I tried the Ghost Pepper and it's really hot, and yummy.

Wait that stuff makes it that far north?

I'm half an hour from their HQ, though I doubt they still make everything there.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'll get nothing but support here, QC. Your passive-aggression was perfect and still better than they deserved.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

gently caress them. Yes, it is possible that this tragic event has caused them to reconsider their choices and their priorities. But it's not your responsibility to come rushing to their side to help them deal with their grief after they've continually pushed you away. You shouldn't feel guilty, and I hope you don't.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

So, friends ex wife is trying really hard to sell the ODd narrative for some reason.

Death via OD is usually pretty painless if it's downers, or at least pretty quick if it's uppers... while death by alcoholism takes a long time (also, really painful). Alcohol withdrawal can also kill (delirium tremens), and it's incredibly painful (lasts several days too - ask me how I know, I was knocking on death's door when I quit cold turkey from a 20+ drink a day habit - BP of 230/180, pulse over 150, IIRC, after no drinks for 2 days... and spent a week in ICU). tl;dr death by alcohol isn't pretty.

Might be trying to tell herself he didn't suffer, maybe? Or convince others he didn't?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fender Anarchist posted:

The revving mustang jackass whose garage is on my building finally kept it up for long enough for me to walk out and confront him. Well, apparently this time it was one of his buddies in a 370Z, there were like 4 of them standing there. Their excuse was "oh yeah it's a stick shift", cause apparently that necessitates banging off the limiter like 12 times in a row to move a car around, right? Then he changed tacks to straight up "Well, you know, if there's a problem, you can take it up with the front office! :)"

I am not enough of an rear end in a top hat to be doing this kind of poo poo.

I got NO problem taking noise issues up with the office when they're dickheads about it.

Nor do I have any issue dragging city code enforcement into it.

While calling the non-emergency police number. Though depending on the city I lived in, that would get a 5 minute response, or 5 day.

meatpimp posted:

So you're looking for... some kind of temporary sanity in this? Show us your hands.

You. I like you a bit more now.

(and goddamnit now I have Tool stuck in my head... more than the usual amount of tool)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You have been docked ten: it's "poo poo, blood, and cum."

And you, I like even more for getting it right.

Rhyno posted:

if that had been a Nickleback reference I'd have gotten it in a heartbeat.

So much (more) makes sense now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I couldn't tell ya, but I can say that the thing started up yesterday and today. So when it warmed up a bit the car started. I mean, it was nine loving degrees outside when it didn't start. Still, gonna have to check the battery and the starter, but no big deal, it's time for the regular inspection anyway.

Hope you're not in a state that does OBD2 checks then, the low battery probably wiped the ECU's readiness monitors out.

NoWake posted:

hosed with a robocaller offering extended car warranties today, guy got really mad I kept reading nonsense 16-digit strings of numbers for my CC. This was 15 minutes after I told him my name was Bill Buttlicker.

poo poo was going to be $199/month on a 2014 Chrysler.

I'm still getting calls and mailers for my last two cars. I've moved 6 times since I owned the Altima, how the gently caress do they keep finding me?! :tinfoil:

My current car isn't even in my name. So I can legit tell them I don't even own a car (or string them along like you did... depends how bored I am). But they only call my old #, which normally only goes to Google Voice... I'll turn off do not disturb on it for a few hours when I want to gently caress with scammers (I don't give my real # out to anybody except close friends..).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Political chat: I saw a homeless guy with a sign that cracked me up today, at an intersection that cycles through beggers/homeless pretty quickly. "Need money to build a time machine to travel back to 1945 - I need to give Trump's father a condom". Nice to see someone there with a funny sign for a change.

There's another one I see regularly (different intersection) with a flipboard sign, with about 8 or 10 messages. Stuff like "Wife had a better lawyer", "dog ate my paycheck", "should have listened to my father", etc. That dude always has a smile on his face. But he's at a prime intersection, I suspect he rakes in a decent amount of cash every day.

Fender Anarchist posted:

If the ecu puts out that code that says "monitors not set", you will fail your emissions inspection. If that's gonna be a problem, I suggest looking up the "OBD2 Drive Cycle" for your specific car, and following that to the letter. Most parts stores will pull codes for free, so you can check there and once your ecu comes back with no codes you should be good to go.

E: Resetting the ECU can hide an existing problem that takes a while to actually trigger the trouble code, so if they find out it's been reset recently, policy is to assume that's what you're doing and fail your car.

It's not an actual code on most cars (none that I've ever scanned anyway), but most code readers can also check readiness monitors. Decent ones can tell you how many miles it's been since the ECU was reset.

Texas allows one to show not ready (they used to allow two not readys on 96-00, IIRC, but did away with that). A lot of states follow similar protocol, to deal with cars that have either had repairs done recently, or ones that are a pain to get a particular monitor to finally set (I think Subaru had an issue at one point with a monitor taking months to set?)

But in reality, just driving it for 50-100 miles (mixing it between highway and city traffic) is enough to get many cars showing ready on everything except evap (that usually takes a few tanks of gas.. my car takes something stupid like 2 weeks though, with me driving 2000-2500 miles a week).

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This seems freaking weird, since looking up the drive cycle there's some stuff in there that seems pretty freaking specific to arise in normal driving. I have an OBD-2 dongle floating around somewhere and I'll see if there are some codes.

If you have Torque, there's a specific display you can add to live monitoring to show monitors (it's emissions monitors since DTC clear, or current drive cycle status.. if one doesn't work, try the other).. Check PA's inspection criteria for how many not-readys you can have - some states allow one, some allow two, some allow zero. If the voltage drops enough for the starter solenoid to start clicking, the ECU probably got reset. If it was a solid click without rapid clicking and at least an attempt at spinning the engine, then it may not have been reset (might have picked up a pending low voltage code, but so long as it's pending and hasn't tripped the CEL, it'll be fine).

The drive cycle is the fastest way to run all the tests required to make it ready, but it should eventually get them all ready on its own with normal driving.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 26, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'd love to have a central vac, would be so nice for all the dog hair. Even when no one is shedding I do a quick vacuum every day and a full one on the weekend.

We have a fairly high end (for Eureka) vacuum that GF paid something silly like $250 for - meant to deal with pet hair and stuff anyway, even has a suction-powered brush attachment for upholstery. I vacuum around the litter box every couple of days, and vacuum the entire apartment weekly.

I have to empty the canister 3-6 times when I vacuum the entire place. In an 800 sq ft apartment, with 2 cats (1 short hair, 1 medium hair). But both of us have long hair, and I'm shedding a bit of mine, so on top of cat hair tumbleweeds, there's human hair tumbleweeds around my desk area.

Central vac would be pretty drat nice, but I wouldn't ever expect to see that in an apartment (unless it was a luxury condo built in the 50s or 60s, anyway, complete with a Raytheon Radarange microwave still in use).

DJ Commie posted:

DJchat in AI? Nice! . I sold my (then) sweet Geminis like 11 years ago and just picked up an Odyssey case with a pair of TT-2400s and a Numark mixer for $300. I really need to get an old Serato interface, I got rid of most of my vinyl and don't really care to mix/scratch what I have left.

2001 me spotted, except add a pile of trance vinyl. :stare: (actually not sure what tables I had, they were probably Geminis IIRC, and definitely a Numark mixer).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 27, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn I needed a day like today. Well really, a week like this week.

The company I do most of my work for cut way down on hours after the new years - this is a gig economy job, so I get paid by the job, not by the hour (unless it's really slow, but if it's slow enough that I'm collecting an hourly guarantee, I get pissed off and find other work for the day - and I suspect they got tired of paying out guarantees, hence the cut in available shifts). I still get my 6 days/40ish hours so long as I wake up early enough the day they're released. My original goal for this week was $700. That got blown out of the water yesterday, so I raised it to $800. That got blown out of the water 3 hours into my shift today. So I said gently caress it, $900.

I wish I could say I sailed effortlessly past $900 and up to $1000, but I did break $900, with right at 40 hours, for one company (split between two divisions).

Almost 100 deliveries this week. :stonklol: If this keeps up, I'll be able to move a lot sooner than I thought. (also buying tires a lot quicker... I'm gonna need new ones in about 2 months. not gonna go with Barum brillantis again, these are loving terrifying in the rain)

My credit monitoring informed me that my credit score jumped by more than 50 points this week too. It feels good paying off a credit card, feels better when you see your score change that quick.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You still have any of those records?

I loving wish. I don't even have most of the MP3s I had back then (mixes or single tracks).

Every now and then a random track pops into my head. Usually I can't think of the name, but like yesterday, I was wondering "why do I have the name Technossomy stuck in my head?", then realized I used to listen to Electron Bender a lot when tripping. (not trance, but still late 90s electronica)

I've had one track stuck in my head off and on for nearly 2 months, and it's been driving me crazy. I know it was on an Oakenfold or PVD mix from the late 90s, but damned if I can find it.

Someone did way too much coke while doing the interior. :stare: That's late 80s/early 90s interior, and has no business in a 1996 house.

rdb posted:

Until the neighbors pit bull found the dead skunk. He must have brought it back to their house because I can smell it and hear the yelling. Maybe now they will chain him up. And feed him so he’s not stealing our horse feed and cat food. Or killing goat kids.

There was one time I was in a junkyard - an old school one that had mostly older cars, with a few sprinklings of semi modern stuff. You just said hi to the owner to let them know you were there and ask him if he had such and such cars on hand, he'd point you in the general direction (such as "over yonder, 3rd tree past that 61 Chevy in the levee")

The junkyard had a few dogs. They were super friendly when the place was open (probably while closed too, they were probably more for show). One of them brought me a dead skunk and dropped it at my feet, happily wagging his tail. He kept nudging it towards me like he wanted me to throw it. So I finally threw the dead skunk. He bolted after it and brought it back, lookin mighty pleased with himself.

Previa_fun posted:

gently caress those tacos look good

except swap the cheese for diced white onions (or sauteed onions), with a healthy side of taqueria style hot sauce. Go ahead and roast a jalapeno or two while you're at it, take a bite of the jalapeno with every bite of a taco. :getin:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 28, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah sometime in the late 90s the vacuum cleaner industry convinced people that bagless was the way to go and they're terrible. Dumping out the dust is messy, they all lose suction when they get full (despite what Dyson will tell you) and you still have to replace filters periodically anyway.

The main filter on our bagless is washable. The HEPA filter isn't, but the HEPA filter looks pretty much new still after nearly a year.

But yeah dumping it is messy. And I have to dump it at least 3 times every time I vacuum the apartment (800 sq ft). Just vacuuming the carpet around the litter box means 1 dump (not from litter - though it picks up plenty of that - but from cat hair), and vacuuming my itty bitty "office nook" means another dump (because I'm shedding).

shy boy from chess club posted:

Non vacuum related: I just watched Texasville. It's a sequel to The Last Picture Show which is a great movie. This one was made in 1990, set in 1984. I liked it even more that TLPS, it's fantastic. It's funny as poo poo and tugs at the heart strings. I had no idea it existed and I'm a huge Jeff Bridges fan. Highly recommended if you liked Last Picture Show or Jeff Bridges.

I'll have to check these out, thanks.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 29, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I got tipped with a loaf of bread today. Sorta.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about that. On one hand, they tipped over $32 for their deliveries (2 different restaurants going to the same house, dispatch gave me both of them since [a] they were in BFE and [b] both restaurants were only a mile apart), but the whole "oh we don't need that bread, you can keep it as part of your tip" handwave.... kinda got under my skin. But I made over $40 on that one drop once you factor in delivery fees and mileage.

One of the orders was a huge order from a BBQ place, hence the bread (BBQ places here often include bread as part of larger orders).

I mean... I guess I don't need to buy a loaf of bread this week, but it's white bread. I prefer wheat.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

I rented a Skoda Rapid in Hamburg and took it on the autobahn. I got it up to 185kph

You're a brave soul. I did a round trip from <suburb of Austin I'd rather not mention for reasons that many know> to (almost) Denton and back today. I found two bait cars on the way back - one an obvious dealer to dealer transfer (brand new Subaru sporting logos from a DFW Subaru dealer, and a temp tag from an Austin area dealer, with "XFER TO SUBARU OF <dealer name> written on it that matched the temp tag), then a Mercedes CUV. This was on dry roads, just chilly for the area (40s, farenheit), and the car still felt pretty sketchy at high speeds.

I gave up keeping up with the Mercedes - I was banging the speed governor (108 mph) trying to keep up with her. Still wound up being about an 8 hour round trip :sigh:. I had forgotten how crazy DFW drivers are too... and forgot rush hour starts at 2 or 3pm there. Austin's rush hour is horrible (especially on 35, we need to nuke it from orbit), but it's a 4-6 thing instead of 2-7 thing.

The Door Frame posted:

E: I always thought the midwest had the "neutral accent", so I didn't think that I had a regional accent. Apparently people know I'm from Chicago because I say eggs wrong

I always thought I had a pretty neutral accent, having grown up on the border of Texas and New Mexico, with a bit of travel when I was younger (California, Idaho, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Colorado, etc come to mind when I was younger - plus a couple of trips to Mexico), and my parents being the "YOU WILL NEVER LEARN SPANISH, THOSE loving WETBACKS ARE TAKING OUR JOBS, THEY NEED TO GO BACK TO MESSICO :argh:" types.

My accent is enough that anyone from a Texas border town (especially El Paso) picks up on it immediately. Outside of that, people occasionally ask where I'm from, since I don't have the typical Texas accent, y'all, and get blown away when I say I've been in Texas my entire life. My accent comes out a bit more when I'm speaking Spanglish or ordering Mexican food; my Spanish is pretty terrible (thanks, parents), but the border accent really comes out after some beers. The border town giveaway is when I say "tacos".

(and yes, you do say eggs wrong..)

The Door Frame posted:

My CNA instructor said that if you used the blower to dry your hands during clinicals that you'd have to stay an extra hour because it's completely unsanitary

If I wind up in a bathroom with only blowers, I wipe my hands off on my pants - they're most likely cleaner. Then I find all of the hand sanitizer. Or I just skip washing if I only had to pee (so long as I'm not handling someone else's food at that point - if I am, I find a bathroom with paper towels) - I know where my cock's been, I shower every day, and I know how to shake the dew off.

Not kosher for nursing, but good nuff for me personally.

meatpimp posted:

I broke my tungsten wedding band last month by slapping it down on a granite countertop. They're brittle, but could definitely snag if pulled. My wife's father is missing a ring finger from a random accident -- he was jumping up to unhook a soccer goal net from the top of the frame and got it caught. It didn't deglove, but it tore enough flesh that it didn't heal and they had to amputate.

So funny painful story that involves a lot of pain, but not degloving or that type of ring - it involves a nipple ring. Also, not me (thank gently caress).

Ages ago, when I worked at Whole Foods, I worked in a now-older store that was a little on the smaller side (~60k sq ft, originally 25k, but expanded through the years). Everybody heard a really loud "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!" from the kitchen. I worked deli/prepared foods at the time, so the kitchen was part of my department.

I ran back there. Found my boss with a shitload of blood on his chef's coat. I knew boss had his nipples pierced. I saw a step stool in front of a rolling rack (he was a short guy, around 5'5"?). I did 2+2=:stonkhat:, then he confirmed it by saying his ring got snagged on one of the posts when he jumped off. Tore it out of the nipple. :cripes: How he managed to snag a captive bead ring through a t-shirt AND a thick chef's coat is beyond me.

Rhyno posted:

I have one couple friends that are poly and their marriage is doomed. He was into it at the beginning but now she's just banging every dude she can and he just wants her and nobody else. It's really sad to watch.

I had a few 3 ways with an ex BF and his wife over about a year.

.... I haven't talked to him much since the last one. He did tell me his wife got insanely jealous once she saw how into it we both were, and wanted him to cut all ties with me. :smith: I really liked her as a friend (not so much in bed), and well, I've been friends with him for over 20 years (off-and-on again BFs for about 10 years, with some FWB thrown in). He now has a special needs son with her, I keep tossing money at their various gofundme accounts to help with his surgeries (they're both self employed, so health insurance is difficult for them).

Incidentally, we shared the same first name, but different spellings (there's 4 spellings that I know of... mine is the 2nd most common, his is the 3rd) Last night, I had a delivery to a hotel with a desk clerk that was very obviously gay... and we also shared a first name, just different spelling. We chatted briefly. He spelled his name like my ex (according to his nametag). I mentioned that to him on my way out, he kinda laughed then said "uh... my last ex also shares our name, but spells it like you". :tinfoil:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I forgot how much I missed my sub. Also, it seems like the 8 gauge power cable I was using before may not have been enough - it's wired with 4 gauge (CCA crap tho) now. It took all of the volume that my HU can crank out to find the distortion in the sub tonight, with a very bass heavy track (from Dieselboy's A Soldier's Story album, don't remember which track it was at the moment though). My phone kept falling off of the magnetic dash mount, and the rearview mirror broke free from the windshield after playing the track a few times. :stare:

I guess this lovely Crunch amp isn't so lovely, it was just getting held back by the 8 gauge power cables before. Maybe? Funny thing is the lights on the car don't even flicker with hard bass hits at idle now, while they dimmed noticeably even while at highway speeds in the old car. Same year/make/model car, same sub and box, same head unit, same output alternator, same amp, amp was even grounded to the same bolt. Same East Penn battery, except this one has a Carquest label instead of Napa. The only difference is I turned the gain down a bit, and the remote turn on now comes directly off of the head unit instead of the rear power socket (switched - went that way originally because on the old car, I had originally added the sub to the factory head unit).

I missed having "I'm that dick setting off every car alarm nearby, and awww that's a cute bit of bass you have on that crappy track you're blasting at the red light, let me drown you out" levels of bass. I also need to get some generic dynamat, the trunk and rear deck vibrations are very audible inside the car now. Not bad for a very used and abused single Polk 12" sub, in an old generic ported box that doesn't even begin to match the specs of the sub.

meatpimp posted:

I need some new, small, flashlights. Nothing bigger than an 18650 cell.

What should I be looking for in current portable suns?

Anker has one that can run on either 3 AAAs or an 18650. It's a bit bigger than an 18650, but a two pack of the lights is :20bux:. 400 claimed lumens, though that's on the 18650 (I'd guesstimate 300ish on AAAs). Cree LEDs in them. Quality controls seems meh, I had to return the first ones I ordered because the threads were stripped for the end cap.

Downside: fixed focus. But I keep one in the car for finding addresses and apartment building numbers when doing deliveries at night.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Poor guy. :glomp:

15 years is a very good lifespan for a pupper (hell, cat too) of any size/breed, but I'd still be firmly in the "do everything I can to help him, so long as he's not in pain" boat. Until then, all of the hugs, pets, and toys directed his way.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

If you do, remind yourself as much as you can that it's better than suffering. I'm always around to talk if you want.

God, this too. When my last cat was diagnosed with kidney failure, we kept trying to help him stay alive - homemade cat food, raw food diet, tons of water, lots of vet visits with IVs, etc. He was mostly hiding under furniture (and pissing/making GBS threads there instead of using the litter box) and not eating much, except for a few days after each vet visit (where he'd get IV fluids for a couple of days; he'd be his normal self for a day or two after). I really wish I'd ended his suffering at least a month sooner; I still feel incredibly guilty about it, several years later.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 1, 2019