Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you currently have a prepaid utility meter?
This poll is closed.
Yes - both gas and electric 32 4.71%
Yes - gas only 4 0.59%
Yes - electric only 33 4.85%
Yes - plus prepaid water (this exists and is terrible) 0 0%
No - Direct Debit/Standing Order 336 49.41%
No - utilities are included as part of my tenancy/cohab/basement goonery 65 9.56%
No - I'm off-grid or still get a coal man 6 0.88%
No - my house is powered by Pressurized Boiling Hot Takes 67 9.85%
Pissflaps - via some sort of treadmill arrangement 137 20.15%
Total: 680 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
that's a fair point, but quite a lot of people believed it could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm kind of tempted to apply for this job that I have no relevant experience for mostly because its the only antarctic job I am qualified for https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancy/stores-operative-cambridge-2/#jobskills

edit: ah poo poo the start date means I couldn't go to my brothers wedding

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 31, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I do not like the Wheat Man

e: Triticum Homo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Nobody here has a milk jug unless you're old. You would need to get people to buy the jugs before you can sell them the bags.

My nan used to have her milk delivered in bags and the dairy also provided a free jug to use with them. That was South Wales 1970-1972 or thereabouts. She was about 6 years older than I am now (scary thought!). They sell milk in bags in Egypt. It's cheaper. Milk is a bit of a luxury - a litre of UHT milk in a carton cost more than in the UK (on straight currency conversion) and was thus almost 8-10x more expensive relative to wages of most people. You just have to snip the corner off the bag. Depends on the jug how well it pours.

I use a jug for milk now but that's because it takes me about 10 days to get through 1l of milk (I'm a milk addict so I control my intake strictly - try to just use it in coffee and tea or occasional scrambled egg) so I freeze it in 300ml tubs which last about 3 days.

OwlFancier posted:

Certainly large size milk jugs of any variety are often difficult for olds because they tend to have poo poo motor control or arm/wrist/finger strength which is part of why they often buy smaller jugs.

Yes my mother 80s has some kind of neurological condition so if she is using one of her hands to hold a cup or kettle it starts shaking wildly.

TomViolence posted:

a considerable portion of the british population wants to bring back imperial measurements and metal dustbins so getting them to give up on bottled milk just isn't gonna happen no matter how sensible it is

I find this so bizarre. I did imperial measurements at primary school in the 60s (it was definitely good for learning 'bases'), but we were all metric by the time I got to secondary school. Nobody under 50 will have learned imperial at school.

Jose posted:

I'm kind of tempted to apply for this job that I have no relevant experience for mostly because its the only antarctic job I am qualified for https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancy/stores-operative-cambridge-2/#jobskills

Everyone should learn forklift truck driving... I signed up to that DWP job search thing (anonymously just to see what they decided I was fit for) and just about every job was 60 miles away (I don't drive) and involved forklift trucks. I have no forklift truck driving experience.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 31, 2019

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Actually I will say one thing about that Weetman tweet; its very loving weird that the Labour right are making fun of a five year old for saying something like that. Then again, they've so frequently been bad observers of human behaviour that it doesn't surprise me that they think that this is the result of some cult-like behaviour, rather than a literal child just forming an irrational attachment to someone she sees on TV a lot.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Meanwhile people in Cornwall are being eaten by yetis.

It took me eight hours to get home from Truro, a distance of 11 miles.

There was a lot of camaraderie on the bus, but also quite a tasty looking baby, I'm not sure how much longer we'd have held out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes my mother 80s has some kind of neurological condition so if she is using one of her hands to hold a cup or kettle it starts shaking wildly.

You can get these quite good kettles that are on a pivot, so you put your cup in front of it and just tip the kettle on a swivel.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oh dear me posted:

It took me eight hours to get home from Truro, a distance of 11 miles.

There was a lot of camaraderie on the bus, but also quite a tasty looking baby, I'm not sure how much longer we'd have held out.

would have been quicker to walk

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Gorn Myson posted:

Actually I will say one thing about that Weetman tweet; its very loving weird that the Labour right are making fun of a five year old for saying something like that. Then again, they've so frequently been bad observers of human behaviour that it doesn't surprise me that they think that this is the result of some cult-like behaviour, rather than a literal child just forming an irrational attachment to someone she sees on TV a lot.

Also, he sent her a birthday card. If someone off the telly sent me a birthday card they'd be my idol, too.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesla was right posted:

Also, he sent her a birthday card. If someone off the telly sent me a birthday card they'd be my idol, too.

what if it was noel edmonds?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Frances Weetman tweets are more fun than the moon meme come fight me in a car park

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

Frances Weetman tweets are more fun than the moon meme come fight me in a car park

You've done it now, it's only gonna be minutes until someone posts a Frances Moonman mashup

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Failed Imagineer posted:

You've done it now, it's only gonna be minutes until someone posts a Frances Moonman mashup

You'll have to wait til dawn if I'm doing it sorry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

I'll be your second.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

edit: ah poo poo the start date means I couldn't go to my brothers wedding

lmao seriously https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancy/wintering-it-engineer-antarctica-2/ only £24k for tech support in the motherfucking Antarctic Winter

The only people they should be able to get with that is complete weirdos

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pochoclo posted:

lmao seriously https://www.bas.ac.uk/jobs/vacancy/wintering-it-engineer-antarctica-2/ only £24k for tech support in the motherfucking Antarctic Winter

look at the list of essential skills/experience. Like I get that it being in antarctica means you need people who know how to do poo poo but they're really loving particular for what sounds like a fairly basic role

you get 10% extra if you do the full tour and all your food, clothing and accomodation is provided

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Let's see how the Labour Right campaigned before the loony left started all this 'personality cult' nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi5j7jjhm4M

Oh right, a PPB that consisted entirely of Blair walking around while people spontaneously cheer and break into applause.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is generally how working in the antarctic works, yes.

Plus that's likely including your room and board thrown in.

E: though I like that "flexible working hours" is a feature :v:

Yeah you can go outside and sit in the snow as much as you want.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 1, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pochoclo posted:

Presumably you get your 'keep' on top?. And there's not a lot you can spend it on out there!

I wanted to go to Antarctica but back when I got my degree, they didn't take on women 'because we don't have suitable toilets'. :bahgawd:

Jose posted:

look at the list of essential skills/experience. Like I get that it being in antarctica means you need people who know how to do poo poo but they're really loving particular for what sounds like a fairly basic role

you get 10% extra if you do the full tour and all your food, clothing and accomodation is provided

I've known a couple of people who've been down there and people need to be able to turn a hand to anything in case of emergencies and so on so multi-skills are good.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really antarctica might be a nice place to be post brexit. They have really good food stockpiles.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

You can get these quite good kettles that are on a pivot, so you put your cup in front of it and just tip the kettle on a swivel.

Not seen those! I did look at those ones where you pour water in the top and press an array of buttons on the front - a disabled friend has one - but didn't think it would suit mother.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not seen those! I did look at those ones where you pour water in the top and press an array of buttons on the front - a disabled friend has one - but didn't think it would suit mother.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergonomic-...6G11MHD4C7GBVAT

We got my nan one of those before she had to go to care, afaik it works pretty well.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ergonomic-...6G11MHD4C7GBVAT

We got my nan one of those before she had to go to care, afaik it works pretty well.

Very interesting. I'll look into it further.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Really antarctica might be a nice place to be post brexit. They have really good food stockpiles.

Please. The moment No Deal happens I'm getting one of those desert buggies from Mad Max and I'm crossing the Chunnel to raid the profligate French cheese hoards

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

JFairfax posted:

what if it was noel edmonds?

He's friends with Mister Blobby, so sure, why not?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Presumably you get your 'keep' on top?. And there's not a lot you can spend it on out there!

I wanted to go to Antarctica but back when I got my degree, they didn't take on women 'because we don't have suitable toilets'. :bahgawd:

What does this even mean? They only have urinals and nobody shits the whole time they're there?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/skwawkbox/status/1091114939098501121

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jabby posted:

What does this even mean? They only have urinals and nobody shits the whole time they're there?

Just a lovely excuse not to employ women back then. Maybe men just peed in the snow and had a couple of planks over a hole to poo poo. Or maybe it was the whole idea of periods.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Or maybe it was the whole idea of periods.

It attracts polar bears, that's why

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If my trains are going to be cancelled tomorrow, it'd better start snowing soon in my part of London.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

So does toothpaste and I bet they still brushed their teeth with it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

From that far away? Impressive.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pochoclo posted:

They don't have polar bears in Antarctica. Penguins yes, pbs no.

Penguin tax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQquEh6zQ5c

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is surprising really because you'd think that would be exactly the sort of thing that the brits would do as soon as they turned up. Introduce a bunch of wildlife to gently caress up the native population.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The antarctic wages are some of the most egalitarian I've ever seen, which is rather neat. Though presumably the actual researchers get extra grant money and such.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just a lovely excuse not to employ women back then. Maybe men just peed in the snow and had a couple of planks over a hole to poo poo. Or maybe it was the whole idea of periods.

I'd imagine it was some government policy mandating separate facilities and they only had the one shitter

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rarity posted:

the absolute lowest of low bars

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Which is surprising really because you'd think that would be exactly the sort of thing that the brits would do as soon as they turned up. Introduce a bunch of wildlife to gently caress up the native population.

We'd have to rename the Non-Bear Circle to Bear Circle 2: Antarctic Baloogaloo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
ah yes, payday. well, see how your contract reads you get paid per natural solar day? well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Illuyankas posted:

We'd have to rename the Non-Bear Circle to Bear Circle 2: Antarctic Baloogaloo

Beary McCircleface