Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

lol but seriously I posted:

TO BE FAIR god condemns this behaviour and fucks over his grandkids hardstyle

David: "Ah, welcome Nathan. What news do you bring from God? Please tell me you're not just here to tell me some dumb cryptic st--"

Nathan: "My lord there were two men in a town..."

David: "-ory. gently caress. Can we make this quick? I've got a lot of kinging to do today."

Nathan: "...one of these men was rich and had a lot of sheep and cattle, the other was poor and had only the one lamb that he loved very much. He went everywhere with it, ate with it, and it even slept with him"

David: "What?"

Nathan: "In his arms, my King. It was like a daughter to him."

David: "Weird metaphor."

Nathan: "As it happens, the rich man was having company so he had to kill one of the sheep but instead of sacrificing one of his own sheep he stole the poor man's beloved lamb and killed it instead. What do you think about that?"

David: "I'm not totally sure what the cattle represent but rich this guy sounds like a real retard. He goes around acting like a big piece of poo poo and tbh we should probably just kill him."

Nathan: "My king, don't sign your posts."

David: :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Job a comedy of justice by Heinlein

Idk if we should be promoting a sex creep libertarian in this here bible thread.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

christmas boots posted:

David: "Ah, welcome Nathan. What news do you bring from God? Please tell me you're not just here to tell me some dumb cryptic st--"

David: "-ory. gently caress. Can we make this quick? I've got a lot of kinging to do today."

Nathan: "...one of these men was rich and had a lot of sheep and cattle, the other was poor and had only the one lamb that he loved very much. He went everywhere with it, ate with it, and it even slept with him"

Nathan: "As it happens, the rich man was having company so he had to kill one of the sheep but instead of sacrificing one of his own sheep he stole the poor man's beloved lamb and killed it instead. What do you think about that?"

David: "I'm not totally sure what the cattle represent but rich this guy sounds like a real retard. He goes around acting like a big piece of poo poo and tbh we should probably just kill him."

:perfect:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

christmas boots posted:

:hfive:

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

christmas boots posted:

a good post

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Can we have that guy write the bible

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
"And he left them, and went out of the city into Bethany; and he lodged there."

Think about it.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
psalms combines the high octane thrills of somebody else's love letters and a clip show but "my heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer" is a good rap brag

also in psalm 22 there's the line "my god, my god, why have you forsaken me?" foreshadowing

psalm 30: "or his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime" does not seem to be born out by the preceding text. heavy abusive relationship vibes to this passage. psalm 117 seems very low energy and tossed off

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lmao David there clutching the balcony and leaning into Bathsheba as hard as he can
:krust:

Psalms is good. It’s basically like Dunn’s poetry: super sexy poetry that gets to the end and is like “Uh, also God is great.”

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 12, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Blazing Ownager posted:

Has there ever been much sci-fi that tackles the Christian God from a completely sci-fi angle as a major character? Like someone trying to rebuild their universe or something? Just curious I can see why it'd not get too mainstream.

You could come up with a fun sci-fi story from the bible if you were willing to filter everything through a different lens.

there's one where higher dimensional beings get stuck in our universe because they were fighting and one "tackled" the other "down" into lower dimensionality

their continued fight makes it look like god and satan are fuckin around. Not particularly biblical and one being good and one bad is essentially arbitrary. They're both bad in the end I guess. People get miraculous seeming powers due to higher dimensional effects.

Welp can't remember the name of it but it's online for free. Check the book barn I guess?

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Has there ever been much sci-fi that tackles the Christian God from a completely sci-fi angle as a major character? Like someone trying to rebuild their universe or something? Just curious I can see why it'd not get too mainstream.

You could come up with a fun sci-fi story from the bible if you were willing to filter everything through a different lens.

Waiting for the galactic bus

This is what Wikipedia say's:

The tale begins with two college-age brothers, Barion and Coyul, members of an advanced alien world. Their race is endowed with the power to manipulate physical matter with their minds, a power which is exploited incessantly by the young adults. An accident strands the brothers on Earth, which at the time has no human race. The brothers hope for rescue, but eventually grow despondent. In their free time, they cause a series of evolutionary changes in the indigenous primates of Earth, which eventually lead to the blossoming of human civilization.

The brothers grow fond of their project, which they ardently monitor, intervening when necessary. With all the progress they are able to endow humans with, they are never able to rid them of the dim memory of primal darkness, causing a permanent schism between intellect and emotion, which is termed "spiritual schizophrenia". Humans have an insatiable need to decipher the meaning of life, a thirst which leads to stubborn belief systems and immense amounts of violence.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's only one good part of the Bible, Ezekiel 23:20.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

their continued fight makes it look like god and satan are fuckin around. Not particularly biblical and one being good and one bad is essentially arbitrary. They're both bad in the end I guess. People get miraculous seeming powers due to higher dimensional effects.

Yeah I mean the names might change but it's typical in pretty much every religion/myth: In one corner a pro free-will, pro-expression, laissez-faire anarchical type. The other, an orderly, conservative, rule-following and vastly stronger version that establishes the societal rules. Interestingly, God is about humanity being the best version of itself. Satan is the cool kid smoking under the stairs that says 'whatever' at the principal when the principal makes them put out their cigarette.

God could always just smite Satan but where's the fun in that?

Basically the universe is a sitcom with an easy resolution that the writers refuse to entertain since episode 1.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's more like Satan is a rebel freedom fighter and God is the ruler of an evil repressive empire. And Jesus is Darth Vader, the chosen one who fell to darkness after he was revived by his father from a gruesome death.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Moses was Yoda and Harrison Ford is still Han Solo in this metaphor.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 12, 2019

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Which biblical figure is Jar Jar Binks?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Enod

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Grevling posted:

Which biblical figure is Jar Jar Binks?

Zedekiah, made a puppet king by a conquering Babylonian king. Zedekiah bumbles around in office and defies the Babylonians with an insane belief the Egyptians would save him. It has a happier ending then Star Wars. According to one old extrabiblical legend Zedekiah was told by a prophet he would be carried away captive to Babylon while another prophet told him he would never see Babylon so he figured he was safe. Then the Babylonians showed up and conquered Babylon and destroyed the city and the temple and then they put out Zedekiah’s eyes as punishment for his treachery and took him to Babylon.

Basically a fate worthy of Jar Jar.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Who What Now posted:

There's only one good part of the Bible, Ezekiel 23:20.

Is that the donkey dick one?

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Remember to not choose the wrong Mark

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CloFan posted:

Is that the donkey dick one?

And cum like a horse!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Hey, don’t forget the Song of Songs. Or Song of Solomon, whatever title you prefer.

Erotic fanfic about a hero king that could easily be transplanted to deviantart in praise of Goku or Cloud.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Xenocides posted:

Hey, don’t forget the Song of Songs. Or Song of Solomon, whatever title you prefer.

Erotic fanfic about a hero king that could easily be transplanted to deviantart in praise of Goku or Cloud.

I usually call it the Windmill song, but that's not what it's really called

E: actually reading posts is overrated

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

RossMan4Life posted:

I usually call it the Windmill song, but that's not what it's really called

E: actually reading posts is overrated

no that's the song from Ocarina of Time

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/6thgrade4ever/status/1082688913490280448

naem
May 29, 2011

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

jokes posted:

Yeah I mean the names might change but it's typical in pretty much every religion/myth: In one corner a pro free-will, pro-expression, laissez-faire anarchical type. The other, an orderly, conservative, rule-following and vastly stronger version that establishes the societal rules. Interestingly, God is about humanity being the best version of itself. Satan is the cool kid smoking under the stairs that says 'whatever' at the principal when the principal makes them put out their cigarette.

God could always just smite Satan but where's the fun in that?

Basically the universe is a sitcom with an easy resolution that the writers refuse to entertain since episode 1.

In the book I'm thinking of they're both straight up scum who abuse people for any tiny leverage and it's a handful of humans who end up eeking out a sliver of good on the side

Also the afterlife gets turned off and on a couple time and a chick becomes immortal and perfectly unable to be harmed but spends a thousand years buried in dirt and goes nuts

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Xenocides posted:

Zedekiah, made a puppet king by a conquering Babylonian king. Zedekiah bumbles around in office and defies the Babylonians with an insane belief the Egyptians would save him. It has a happier ending then Star Wars. According to one old extrabiblical legend Zedekiah was told by a prophet he would be carried away captive to Babylon while another prophet told him he would never see Babylon so he figured he was safe. Then the Babylonians showed up and conquered Babylon and destroyed the city and the temple and then they put out Zedekiah’s eyes as punishment for his treachery and took him to Babylon.

Basically a fate worthy of Jar Jar.

Man, ancient myths are so full of ironic fates and prophecies that come true in other ways than people expect.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
I did an A/T on the Bible a few years ago that was pretty much the tits. Highly recommend you check it out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556458

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Bible posted:

Lol. A suicide attack collapsing a building and killing 3000 people, sanctioned by God.

Guess the 9/11 guys were righteous after all.

Uhh yeah? No poo poo??

naem
May 29, 2011

dee eight posted:

There's a really cool story in Acts of the Apostles about some guys trying to cast out a demon by pretending they were in Jesus' and Paul's social circle. The demon called bullshit on them, kicked their asses, hijacked their laundry, and tossed them out the door bleeding and naked.

e Acts 19:13 - 16

13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.

14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.

15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?

16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

and I kinda like Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Interestingly there’s another story with the opposite outcome:

Mark 9:38-41 King James Version (KJV)

38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.

39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

41 For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Blurred posted:

I did an A/T on the Bible a few years ago that was pretty much the tits. Highly recommend you check it out:

Pro-click

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I was trying to tell the noahs ark story to my 5 year old and she asks why god kills everyone. There bad i guess? What an awful story for children.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
it's a good story for children because it teaches them not to be bad lest God kill them

Millennials don't have a fear of God instilled in them. That's why they're lazy and always staring at their cell phones.

e: yeah the Bible makes it p. clear why God decided to kill everyone

And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

this is why I read the Bible verbatim when I try to teach its lessons to my wife's son, rather than trying to remember it from memory

snack eater fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 15, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wonder what the temporal basis is for the Watchmaker theory, or deism. I personally feel immediately after the Ark was the right moment for Him to be like "alright let's see what happens".

The rest is probably just false attribution and a really, really, really long game of Telephone.

jokes fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 15, 2019

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

snack eater posted:

it's a good story for children because it teaches them to be bad lest God kill them

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
One thing that I was reminded of today is an element of the Christ story that sort of indirectly fixes one of the problems with the Job story.

So you’ve got the big climax of Job where he calls God out on his poo poo and basically the conversation boils down to God telling Job that his finite mortal brain can’t possibly understand what it’s like to be God, while Job effectively tells God that he doesn’t understand the perspective of the mortal. The book never really solves that gulf. God restores Job’s health and wealth and gives him a new family, while also making GBS threads on Job’s dumbass friends.

So while it’s never addressed and arguably not an intentional nod, I still think it’s a neat synergy that the Christ story centers around God being the one to cross that divide by incarnating as Man.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Blurred posted:

goddam i know this link is going to be good but it is so many words. i'm not scared of a long read generally but this clashes with my forums technique so if someone could summarize that thread in this thread i would appreciate

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I like the second half where the guy said we all have problems, but we can figure it out together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

christmas boots posted:

One thing that I was reminded of today is an element of the Christ story that sort of indirectly fixes one of the problems with the Job story.

So you’ve got the big climax of Job where he calls God out on his poo poo and basically the conversation boils down to God telling Job that his finite mortal brain can’t possibly understand what it’s like to be God, while Job effectively tells God that he doesn’t understand the perspective of the mortal. The book never really solves that gulf. God restores Job’s health and wealth and gives him a new family, while also making GBS threads on Job’s dumbass friends.

So while it’s never addressed and arguably not an intentional nod, I still think it’s a neat synergy that the Christ story centers around God being the one to cross that divide by incarnating as Man.

Of course, Jesus being God incarnate is pretty much only in John. The earliest Gospel, Mark, and the others never reference Jesus as divine.

On and off, such a view was considered heresy, until the Council of Nicea finally ruled that Jesus was literally an incarnation of God as Man, and that was far more in the interest of politics than of accuracy.