Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EBB posted:

Let's not go down that road.

i thought it was already settled that woof was the winner(assists count right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1091046972595863554?s=21

Everything about this tweet rules

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

that photo choice

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just looked up what information pa has publicly available in their court record search. He's going to trial, but there doesn't appear to be a date set, yet. He said he hosed up immediately after, but according to news he's arguing that he was justified.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
this martello poo poo is wild. jesus

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Wait, what did I miss out on with the Martello discussion?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
he lived up to the finest traditions of policing in the USA

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Slim Pickens posted:

i thought it was already settled that woof was the winner(assists count right?)

Don't be a dumbass

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shits real. In the past, her in this forum, folks closed ranks around a fellow internet shitposting cop who made a bad shot. I felt the pang of loyalty and shared brotherhood of posting in a dead gay forum and a fellow veteran. The way I soften my words about this story is how I understand why the press present the kindest readings to the cops. When critical shitpost got thrown at him he bounced to the discord I guess. So the only forums drama reporters that could get more info from him were the posters who sympathized with him or/and he trusted. I get why the only coverage cop shots get are in the passive voice thanks to Martello.

It was a bad shoot. I have conflicted feelings that I must supress because of just seeing him in the same digital space. I can only imagine the kind of protection a cop would get from other cops that share locker rooms and inventory checkout procedures. Other cops will never cast judgement on other cops. Unfortunately, the only people you can report murder to are cops.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 31, 2019

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
is there a source to quote or did you huff glue

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The finest glue my man

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mods changed my name posted:

he lived up to the finest traditions of policing in the USA

But he got caught?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

But he got caught?

He was a bad poster prior to being a bad shot. Well, there were people here who thought he was a dumbass and hated him. I think I was one of them, but glue has eaten away the avatars and name changes in my mind. I cannot see a universe where he did not make a similar impression at the cop shop he was working at.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I wouldn't call him a bad shot, he did hit the guy 5 times.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:yooge:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1091035679256203265?s=20

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Who cares. Codeine is partially metabolized into just straight Morphine. Morphine itself can be metabolized in small amounts into detectable amounts of Hydromorphone. "Heroin metabolite" can mean anything because Heroin has a half-life of 6 minutes before being metabolized into 6-acetylmophine which itself has a half-life of up to 25 minutes before being turned into straight Morphine. You can determine Heroin use based on Morphine:Codeine ratio in the blood but that's conveniently left out to make it sound like this dude is a MEGA DRUGGIE.

Literally this dude could've just been taking his daily methadone from a pharmacy (or scoring it off someone) and also injecting Codeine-tainted Heroin (or just abusing a ton of Codeine I guess) and they can blow 2 drugs up into 5 to Justify A Shoot.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
What are the chances they gave him some of those drugs as part of attempted medical treatment?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Fuckin amazing how incestuous the circles of rich, powerful white men are.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1091066927211003904?s=19

You would *think* that with the zillions of people in the world, the same characters would stop loving popping up everywhere.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ZombieApostate posted:

What are the chances they gave him some of those drugs as part of attempted medical treatment?

Gunshot treatment isn't in my wheelhouse but if he made it into a hospital alive it's possible

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

facialimpediment posted:

Fuckin amazing how incestuous the circles of rich, powerful white men are.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1091066927211003904?s=19

You would *think* that with the zillions of people in the world, the same characters would stop loving popping up everywhere.

Having connections to corrupt scumbags with access to a presidential administration is just good business!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Republicans support higher taxes on the super-rich, according to a Fox News survey

quote:

“Radical.” “Crippling.” A “total fantasy.”

Critics of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) have lined up to paint her proposed 70 percent tax rate on income above $10 million as extreme, unrealistic and not in line with what voters want.

But a new Fox News poll finds that raising income taxes on ten-millionaires is a policy that enjoys broad bipartisan support among 85 percent of Democrats, 54 percent of Republicans, and 70 percent of registered voters overall. Hiking taxes on incomes over one million was almost as popular overall, with 65 percent support.

Asked, in broad terms, to choose between cutting taxes or raising spending, a majority of Americans opted for the latter, with only 40 percent preferring tax cuts.

Numbers like these underscore the growing disconnect between what voters want and what most elected officials are willing to consider. Research in the past year has shown that politicians in D.C. and at the nation’s state houses believe that the public is much more conservative on economic policy issues than they actually area. Many political scientists believe that this is due, in part, to lawmakers' cozy relationships with big businesses and their deep-pocketed lobbyists, who tend to prefer more conservative economic policies.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 provides a prime example of how this disconnect affects real-world policymaking. Republicans in Congress passed a package of changes to the tax code whose benefits largely accrued to businesses and the wealthy. The bill was supported by a large coalition of conservative groups, including Americans for Tax Reform, the American Legislative Exchange Council, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and Americans for Prosperity.

Among the general public, however, there was widespread skepticism and disapproval of the plan. A December 2017 Quinnipiac poll found that 55 percent of voters opposed the plan, with just 26 percent approving of it. Less than one quarter said the plan would help their own families, 55 percent said it was unfair to people like them, and 54 percent said it favored big-money campaign donors over average Americans.

Nevertheless, Republicans succeeded in passing the bill without a single Democratic vote. The plan continued to lose popularity in the months following its passage and likely contributed to Republicans' stunning defeat in the 2018 U.S. House elections.

As a result, progressive Democrats have been emboldened to advocate for tax policies that impose a greater burden on the wealthy, particularly the ultrarich. A majority of voters recently told pollsters they support the specifics of Ocasio-Cortez’s tax on ten-millionaires, and progressive polling firm Data for Progress found a solid majority in favor of the recently-announced wealth tax proposal of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.). Just today, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) announced a proposal to bring estate taxes back to historic levels.

Republican lawmakers, meanwhile, continue to head in the opposite direction. GOP leaders in the Senate recently introduced a bill that would repeal the estate tax entirely, while late last year President Trump briefly floated an additional middle-class tax cut before evidently abandoning the idea.

Public opinion often acts as a thermostat, swinging first one way and then another in response to the prevailing political currents. The recent polling suggests that’s exactly what’s happening right now on taxes: Americans' growing comfort with raising taxes on the wealthy may in part be a backlash to Republicans' success in passing the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. That presents an opportunity for Democratic lawmakers who are able to capitalize on that sentiment, and a challenge for Republicans hoping to cut taxes even more deeply.

Gonna take a second to remark here on how amazing it is that a congresswoman less than a month into the job already has her name attached to an idea supposed by the majority of voters. I don't wanna put all the eggs in the AOC basket but drat if it's not impressive.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Eej posted:

Republicans support higher taxes on the super-rich, according to a Fox News survey

Gonna take a second to remark here on how amazing it is that a congresswoman less than a month into the job already has her name attached to an idea supposed by the majority of voters. I don't wanna put all the eggs in the AOC basket but drat if it's not impressive.

the best part is she did it by kicking over one of the old guard and upsetting all the decorum warriors who think she needs to wait her turn

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Not only one of the old guard but one of the most powerful Democrats in the House, period.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1091082199846342659?s=20

First FB and now Google, don't be shady and try and steal user data I guess? :lol:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A giant floating latina head barfing smartphones to a waiting army and chanting "The tweet is good. The lanyard is evil."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Not only one of the old guard but one of the most powerful Democrats in the House, period.

First FB and now Google, don't be shady and try and steal user data I guess? :lol:

Apple is totally willing to compromise on its privacy principles to sell in the Chinese market but for the moment I'll overlook that to laugh at how hard they're dunking on these guys for abusing their enterprise certification.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Fallom posted:

Apple is totally willing to compromise on its privacy principles to sell in the Chinese market but for the moment I'll overlook that to laugh at how hard they're dunking on these guys for abusing their enterprise certification.

I wouldn't be surprised if apple noticed some type of security issues with their own employees resulting from these certificates so they decided to pull em. Whatever though gently caress all these companies

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1091088740947320833?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1091088745191874562?s=19

???

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wonder if he realizes this statement would mean that he got fooled by the "false narrative" presented by his own media company.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DoktorLoken posted:

The opposite of an Apple Fan here but :yeshaha:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Apple shutting down FB and Google isn't about protecting consumers, it's about protecting a monopoly on data and data acquisition. It can't be done as effectively if the news spotlight is on the practice.

What I'm saying is don't cheer for corporations ever. Apple is not your friend or some champion.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

Reminder that apple tries to force you to store all of your poo poo in the iCloud and requires a store account just to get updates. They're still a piece of poo poo company.

They're doing this to try to draw attention away from their own massive privacy scandal right now, just like how Trump uses one scandal or headline to distract from another:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/01/apple-facetime-bug-you-cant-escape/581554/

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 31, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh, no illusions here. They also claim that Siri sucks rear end because they don't harvest as much voice data as Google and Amazon but I totally don't believe that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Fallom posted:

Oh, no illusions here. They also claim that Siri sucks rear end because they don't harvest as much voice data as Google and Amazon but I totally don't believe that.

Siri sucks because they do most of the processing on device for privacy reasons. Apple might suck in some instances but they're still lightyears better than Amazon or Google since Apple's primary source of profit isn't from selling or using your data for advertising purposes.

https://www.apple.com/privacy/approach-to-privacy/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fallom posted:

Wasn't disagreeing with you specifically, just trying to highlight that they're playing the same game as everyone else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Siri sucks because they do most of the processing on device for privacy reasons. Apple might suck in some instances but they're still lightyears better than Amazon or Google since Apple's primary source of profit isn't from selling or using your data for advertising purposes.

https://www.apple.com/privacy/approach-to-privacy/

I get your point, but Apple's primary source of profit is still centered around creating a monopolistic ecosystem that is specifically designed to squash competition and extract more money from its customers by limiting choices. It's so bad that the Supreme Court may even uphold an anti-trust case against it:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/20/17479480/supreme-court-apple-vs-pepper-antitrust-lawsuit-standing-explainer

e: I guess we're comparing different types of poo poo. At the end of the day, they're both turds.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 31, 2019

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

:laffo:

This is in no way true

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

:laffo:

This is in no way true

I'm gonna guess that he didn't listen to a word they said and just nodded along until they left.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
id accept flip phones w/ snake again if it meant we could guillotine all these people

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm gonna guess that he didn't listen to a word they said and just nodded along until they left.

I think it's been made clear he doesn't understand a word they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In some semblance of fairness, I read the DNI report in full and found a lot of media coverage of it stupid.

A lot of technical truths in the media (no mention of the wall, North Korea not fully denuclearizing, etc) was covered largely from a contrast with president stance. North Korea, ok fair, though the report noted a halt to things like long range missile tests. But the barbs over the wall were dumb. The report is about threat/security not solutions. Advocating for or against a wall is not the report’s purpose.

It also explicitly mentioned stuff like MS-13, southern border smuggling, criminal activity, displaced refugees/migrants, etc.

Some headlines would have it seem the report was a pure rebuke to the president, but it doesn’t actually read that way.