Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Aren't gas prices usually lower in the winter anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Chicago’s longest serving alderman Ed Burke was just charged federally for trying to shake down Burger King.

Sheeeeeeeeet.

Not, like, corporate either. A Burger King franchise

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

How? He's everything this administration hates.

He's a woman?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LongDarkNight posted:

Are there any deserts America hasn't invaded?

Gobi?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Eej posted:

2019 recovering from a rocky start with R Kelly finally getting exposed via documentary

I thought he'd already exposed himself to a bunch of teenagers years ago.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Oh. Oh good.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

Unless you can get the Senate to convict, it's loving paperwork.

We're literally turning the country off in hopes that it'll work when we turn it back on.

I mean, the first step in troubleshooting is turning it off and on again.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

was this posted

Yes but it bears repeating

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol the gov shutdown is gonna last long enough to get everyone evicted then all the apartments are gonna get scooped by amazon employees.

in accordance with the prophecy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

"Heres why" articles are the worst

Hey, Matthew Dowd. I conducted a poll among US veterans and the consensus we reached was "gently caress you."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

piL posted:

It's 2018. While the networks will likely air it, C-SPAN almost definitely will, and if not, internet live streaming is readily available. The Office of the POTUS doesn't and shouldn't need media outlet permission to address the nation.

No it's not.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

CommieGIR posted:

But is she really wrong? You mean the same Pentagon that basically under an immense audit for squandering funds? Like $21 Trillion in funds?

It wasn't $21 trillion in misspent funds, it was $21 trillion in crap bookkeeping.

In an overly simplistic example, if your 5.56 budget ends up running out too early but you have plenty in the 7.62 budget, moving $1 million from the 7.62 budget to the 5.56 budget creates a $2 million discrepancy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I can't help but feel that this whole Pentagon thing was an elaborate gotcha.

How many misleading headlines did we see about this making it sound like the Pentagon had blown $21 trillion on video games and bubble gum?

Then someone prominent runs with it and suddenly they're tripping over themselves to correct the misconceptions they created.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Iron Rose posted:

The amount I care about AOC - a junior Congresscritter - messing up stats is close to nonexistent. Especially since she has a good response. This won't be news in a day and it shouldn't be major news to begin with. So what?

Yeah but she's hot

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

Remember when I said making a cult of personality around politicians was bad? Objectification is part of that.

Just what someone who isn't hot would say.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Watch it, he looks like a movie star

Wallace Shawn?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/every-living-president-has-refuted-trumps-claim-about-supporting-the-wall/

HahahahahahaaHAHHAHAHAHAHA

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I mean, BP already knew there was a lot of oil in the Gulf of Mexico. They put it there, after all.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Hexyflexy posted:

I'd go with spraying sulphuric acid at the base, there's no way they'd get replaced fast enough to deal with it. Stainless would cost like 100x more.

The whole thing will be painted with frictionless paint.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

That's a lot of sand

The wall of sandbags has a deep pit in front of and behind it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, remember the other day he said he was pulling disaster response funds from California because it was "mismanaged"? At first I thought he was just blathering about the dumdum meanie heads on the other coast, I think he might be putting this plan in place already.

Hopefully the two are unrelated, guess we'll see.

Those were FEMA funds he threatened to pull, which aren't the same.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I don't get why this wouldn't be allowed. During a shutdown, isn't every day Casual Friday?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
This is some real Tom Clancy off his meds poo poo.

"What does federal law enforcement do when the President of the United States is actively working against the interests of the country at the behest of Russia? Something something Jack Ryan"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Word has it among my Gold Star group that the latest bill to repeal the SBP-DIC offset in the House for the 116th Congress is going to drop in the next few days.

Time to start getting ready for the next fight, I guess.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Being against gay marriage is one thing. Equating it to incest or bestiality is something else entirely.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Something something contracted a terminal velocity condition

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

quote:

However, the TSA dismissed suggestions the government shutdown contributed to the security lapse and said a normal amount of staffers were working that day.

"The perception that this might have occurred as a result of the partial government shutdown would be false," TSA said. "The national unscheduled absence rate of TSA staff on Thursday, January 3, 2019, was 4.8% compared to 6.3% last year, Thursday, January 4, 2018. So in fact, the national call out rate was higher a year ago than this year on that date."

"This was us at our usual level of worthlessness, any perception that we're more worthless than usual is false because you can't get worse than worthless"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

M_Gargantua posted:

The most powerful country on earth is refusing to pay for a catering staff.

I mean, I think they technically can't during the shutdown.

But noted billionaire Donald Trump, when having to pay for food from his own pocket, spent $50 to get some fast food.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I like how he says there were over a thousand burgers there. CNN was saying the count was closer to 300.

Washington Post has an amazing piece up on this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/01/15/president-trumps-extravagant-sandwich-celebration-clemson-university/

quote:

There is one other asterisk worth noting. In other comments, Trump — in true Trump fashion — suddenly more than tripled the hamburger count.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Schad/status/1084960809053245442

FACT CHECK: At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high.

Had Trump instead invested his entire net worth — $3.1 billion per Forbes last year — on $5 sandwiches, each two inches high? A stack of hamburgers nearly 20 miles high.

It would require quite a large silver serving platter.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The latest House bill to end the SBP-DIC offset, HR 553, has been introduced.

Please ask your congressfucker.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

That Works posted:

Hey yo I have followed your story a bit and will call my congressman, could you give me like 1-2 sentences to say about the bill and why my dude should support it? Just wanted a clear statement to give when I call.

There are two benefits for surviving spouses of deceased military members: Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, through the VA, is paid the the surviving spouse of a veteran who dies of a service-connected condition or an active duty service member who dies in the line of duty. As the name suggests the payment is made in exchange for holding the government harmless in the case of the death of the veteran or service member. The other is the DoD's Survivor Benefit Plan which is a plan a retiree pays into in order to provide his surviving spouse continuing benefits following the retiree's death (and is also granted when an active duty service member dies in the line of duty). The two benefits are intended to pay out for completely different reasons, yet every dollar of DIC received is deducted from SBP payments.

That's more than 1-2 sentences, though, so the short version is "Congress promised to eliminate this offset 10 loving years ago but never did."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

Do you have a link to the bill(s) or their numbers? I'll write my Congresswoman and my one cool Senator (gently caress that moron Ron Johnson).

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/553

The text of the bill isn't up yet, but this is the same bill that Joe Wilson has submitted to the House every new congress since the 112th in 2011.

The Senate bill hasn't been submitted. The senator who kept submitting the Senate counterpart lost his seat in the midterms.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

virgin for Jesus posted:

I agree, it does depend on the administration.

Unfortunately, them shuttering their twitter and O-O-Oing their email leads me to believe that these guys aren't going to do a drat thing. How broke-brained are you to think that wearing a MAGA hat and heckling Indian veterans is a good idea? That line of reasoning doesn't lend itself to coherent responses.

I don't want to paint catholic schools with a broad brush, but gently caress these guys.

If I were an optimist, I'd suggest that maybe they're circling the wagons until they decide what action they're going to take.

I mean, yeah, they kind of are and the action is going to be inaction.

Sometimes I miss being optimistic, but then again ever since I became Eeyore I stopped being disappointed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Torrannor posted:

I hope this rear end in a top hat has a long stay in prison ahead of him, but why the gently caress is he prosecuted for sodomy as well? I thought criminalizing anal sex has finally been abolished in the USA?

Maybe they differentiate sodomy as being forcible anal penetration vs rape being forcible vaginal penetration?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Funny how all the dipshits crowing about how kneeling at football games disrespects veterans are completely silent now.

The only veterans who count are the ones who conform with their political views.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

colachute posted:

Bomb like 25 countries at once and lob a nuke at Iran and NK and start WW3?

I dunno, I'm trying to brainstorm a way where he could just cancel the election.

We held elections during the Civil War. We held elections during World War II.

The only way to cancel elections would be to shutdown the United Sta....

hey wait a minute

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Remember when you had to rescue a president from ninjas before you could get burgers?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I had to refute this bullshit the other day because apparently this is a thing people believe:

The court case cited in this loving pixelbox only ever brought up the legal status of the parents of someone born in the US within the context of "they're not diplomats of a foreign government."

Yet somehow this has been twisted into "gotta be here legally, gently caress you."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The letter E is banned from use in this thread for the next five posts.

The next five posts may not address, directly or indirectly, this post and must continue existing conversations or introduce new discussions of current events.

URLs may not contain the letter E either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LongDarkNight posted:

suck my dick from back you gently caress man

I mean, the game is over now but that only satisfies one of three criteria.