Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m not getting paid on the 15th, am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MA-Horus posted:

Schumer sounded pretty good.

He looked like he was having a loving aneurysm while Pelosi was speaking.

What I got from both sides tonight: we’re going to be shut down for a long loving time because neither side wants to negotiate.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My brother-in-law flew out of Logan yesterday and my mom flew out of Logan today-both of them said they didn't experience any slowdowns in security and things went just as quick as normal.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Every single person employed by the coast guard on my social media is not saying these things.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God drat.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So is that funding currently being used to restore those states from past disasters, or is it funding allocated for anticipated disasters?

Reason I ask-if it’s for anticipated disasters and they end up having a disaster, won’t they just allocate more cash for it?

If the former, Jesus gently caress man.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So is Trump basically telling McConnell to block everything until he gets his way?

If so, I just don't see where the gently caress this ends. Both sides are being stubborn and refusing to do any negotiating. Yes, I know the Democrats offered a portion of the 5 billion for things other than the wall, but Trump only wants one thing and the Democrats refuse to give him that one thing, so it's not going to happen anytime soon.

This just really seems to be a case of who is going to bend first. Trump may be concerned about the 2020 election, but if he doesn't get the wall, then people will bitch at him for that, so right now it seems like he has nothing to lose by being stubborn.

I guess I think we're hosed? At first I figured that there's no way I'll go more than one skipped paycheck, but I'm beginning to think it's very possible I could longer than that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallom posted:

Do not “both sides” this poo poo. Congress had a clean CR for Trump and he rejected it. Not being complicit in his follow-on tantrum does not make the Democrats part responsible for the mess. The republicans are free to run another vote and override a veto if necessary.

ok, but that goes back to my original question-is Trump just having McConnell block everything. nm-psydude answered it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is really his only shot at getting a wall built, right? I mean, if he does reopen the government, I doubt a budget would ever get passed that included his wall.

So now he’s in a position where if he concedes defeat and reopens the government, then he doesn’t get a wall built and one of his main promises during his election run doesn’t happen, so he doesn’t get elected again.

However, I have to believe that less and less people are going to want to vote for him again the longer this shutdown lasts, so at some point he’s gotta pivot and try to get elected again through some other avenues?

I don’t know-just loving pay me already. It should be fun if all the coast guard retirees don’t get their check on the first.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nystral posted:

I’m bitching at my senators. Is there anything else a civvy can do to help?

Keep bitching like I am. Luckily my family and I are in a good spot because we have a decent emergency fund set up, but I feel awful for the junior enlisted people or people that just joined and don’t have any savings set up yet.

Another lovely thing are the Coasties that may have bought a house and are currently renting to other Coasties because they got transferred elsewhere. Now those guys have a mortgage their renters may not be able to afford on top of whatever they are currently living in.

I throw a decent chunk of change to Coast Guard Mutual Assistance in each paycheck and luckily they’ve been helping everyone with emergency $500-$1000 loans but everyone’s going to run out of funds to help eventually.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BigDave posted:

Pretty much. Wall funding =/= re-election, the GOP will vote for him no matter what.

Ann Coulter and the right-wing cabal may keep bitching about how liberal Trump has gotten, but they're gonna go to bat for him come 2020.

Especially if Warren or Duckworth end up with the DNC nomination.

gently caress. That’s what I get for trying to use common sense.

I dunno-I guess I’ll try and be optimistic that hopefully there’s some/enough swing votes that don’t like what they are seeing and it will make a difference this time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Curious to see her reply.

Good job-you’ve made government into a soap opera.

Please pay me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trump's wall plan just hit 50 votes, which means incoming bitching from him about the filibuster. Final vote 51-47.

Now they're going to vote on the clean CR.

One of the few times I wish I had CSPAN.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?457171-1/us-senate-procedural-votes-open-government-underway&live

that's how I'm watching.

I have a feeling even if this plan hits 60 (it won't) that pissbaby will veto unless it gets 66 votes (it won't) and then bitch about the filibuster and his plan.

I hope you get paid, brah. Sucks to not get paychecks.

Yeah just saw that-thanks.

I’m glad I have savings and I took out the USAA .01% loan-otherwise I’d be hosed. I figure I’m good for another 8 months right now. If we go that long then we’ve got other problems to worry about as a country, because shits going to hit the fan.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Nice, come on 2020.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426824-schumer-blocks-bill-to-pay-coast-guard

I was aware of the bill but didn’t realize it was going to be voted on today.

Can someone tell me how this isn’t as bad as Turtle blocking every other bill that’s been brought up? As I understand, this was a clean bill solely for the coast guard to get paid, but feel free to correct me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

This only gets us paid while the rest of the not getting paid part of the government is still not getting paid.

I understand the bill. I’m questioning Schumer’s blocking of the bill.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LingcodKilla posted:

He wants to have everyone paid. It’s a lovely thing to do but fair.

Does he not understand that junior enlisted, or really anyone for that matter, currently deployed, can’t just start looking for another job?

I don’t agree with what you think he wants. To me it just seems like more posturing. I’m obviously biased, and I know trump/republicans started this mess, but now it seems like both parties are at an impasse, with neither side willing to negotiate. Trump won’t do a thing without his loving wall, and the Democrats won’t give it to him.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah civilians with mortgages should go eat poo poo I guess.

But can they go look/get another job? I’m thinking about an E-5 that just signed another 6-year contract. For them, they’re completely hosed/stuck.

I’m not saying it would be easy or that civilians should have to look for another job, but it would be easier for them, wouldn’t it?

If the coast guard was under the DoD, this wouldn’t be an issue. Similarly, imagine how up in arms every single military branch would be right now if the bill to pay them hadn’t been passed.

Edit: What That Works posted makes sense.

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 24, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I wish that Trump was slated to deliver the commencement at the coast guard academy this year.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yes please tell that to some of the Coasties that can’t get approved for USAA’s loan, you gently caress.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallom posted:

Is USAA for real denying people the loan

jfc I may really end up with Navy Federal before this is over

Yep. I personally know some Coasties that we’re denied and there’s quite a few people on reddit claiming the same.

To what Kawasaki said, yeah-think of some of the guys taking out huge loans for a ford raptor and barely getting by...USAA offered an awesome deal on a loan, but they need to protect themselves at the same time.

Edit: I’m not saying that’s what happened to all the people denied...the people that I know were junior enlisted (e4-e6).

nwin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 25, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I wonder at what point navy federal will say they have to stop providing pay advances to everyone.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’ve had USAA for everything for the last 20 years-I was under my dad for car insurance and then put everything under me when he passed.

Their checking and atm reimbursement is good, but their checking and savings rates suck.

Their investment branch just got sold off to someone else and their USAA specific index funds have higher expense fees than vanguard.

I’m not sure on their car/renters/property insurance. I like it because I’ve never had a problem with an accident claim or when my wife’s diamond fell out of her engagement ring and went missing. I like their customer service in that regard but I’ve heard their rates are higher than others.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

colachute posted:

I pay $7/mo for renter's insurance in the nothern VA area.

I have two checking accounts with USAA and haven't had any issues in the ten years I've used them.

Yeah my renters insurance is cheap as gently caress-just not sure how their insurance products compare with others in general.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

facialimpediment posted:

Gotta be loving kidding me. Trump is one of those people that won't do your idea, but if he suddenly thinks of your idea, he will do it.

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1088869713587908615?s=19

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1088871352172507136?s=19

THIS IS SO STUPID (evergreen)

I swear-this tactic is straight out of my coursebook for Negotiations in grad school.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dude is STILL threatening his declaration

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Really dude?!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

McNally posted:

Aw poo poo did I stop watching too soon?

What'd I miss?

He threatened that by feb 15 he will either have his wall or declare national emergency.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BUILD THE WALL AND CRIME WILL FALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

loving Stella Artois. It wasn’t enough to market a stupid specific glass, they also had to give bars a stupid knife to whack the foam off, and now the dude is drinking it.