Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So what you're saying is if you need a waiver go enlist in seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wonder how long it will take before republicans are willing to override a veto if they ever will.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’ve known plenty of poor people with jacked up old jeeps and other 4x4s for offroading.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Syrian Lannister posted:

Yo Slippery posted in the coldwar airpower thread

He’s been posting in yospos for a while.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida and colorado do too, at least for 420 mile markers. I think most states that actually have highways longer than 420 miles have to tackle the problem sooner or later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

trump is going to declare a national emergency and deploy troops to build the wall. It's going to be 2000 miles of chainlink fence with some concertina wire rusting in front of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some things are overblown. Lots of ships do not have a QMC because they don't need a QMC.

Equipment readiness is always going to be rougher in FDNF ships because they are always underway and rarely have time to repair. I assume that big navy was aware of the material condition of the ship because of CASREPs for the broken gear. I'm not saying that it's an excuse for people not maintaining their spaces, though. I'd lose my poo poo if I found urine bottles anywhere, but I also threw snuff bottles away anytime I saw them.

The lack of training in the wardroom is really bad and should not be typical. The report indicated that other FDNF DDGs had similarly dismal rules of the road exam scores. For those not in the know, people are expected to score 90-95% before they can drive the ship. Fitz wardroom scored sub 60%.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

I hope theres still a glowing review of the goon led damage control effort?

TVS and the DC response saved the ship for sure. I haven't seen anything negative about her or the crew in general with regards to their response or culpability.

The fish rots from the head. There are some major things hosed up in FDNF and it starts with leadership.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Trip's already blown. It was a secret trip to Afghanistan and other hotspots, so there's no point in going through with it now.

This is why I think he had the power to postpone it/cancel it - it was a military trip.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Immanentized posted:

Was it really?

Yeah. Steve Scalise leaked it this morning and then Trump canceled it this afternoon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That Works posted:

Was gonna say it runs in the family but Di wasn't a blood relation :shrug:

I mean, Di wasn't driving. The queen could have put a hit on Philip also, I suppose.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Bigly Strong President Tromp is either going to piss and moan that THE DEMOCRAT PARTY is being SO MEAN because they won’t let him build the WAHL and that’ll be it or he’s going to announce that he’s withdrawing from NAFTA, scrapping USMCA, closing all of the borders, suspending all international air traffic into the US and keeping the government shut down until Congress gives him money.

Hoping it’s the latter; chaos reigns :getin:

It's to announce the latest deal offer to house democrats drafted by the hydra of pence, kushner, and mcconnell as a way to attempt to capture the news cycle away from the womens march and canceled state of the union while also attempting to shift the blame to pelosi and schumer for being unwilling to compromise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Buzzfeed has officially came out and said they stand by their story and their sources. Urge special counsel’s office to clarify statement.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also in the list of orders:

quote:

18A669 IN RE GRAND JURY SUBPOENA
The applications for leave to file the application for stay, the response, and the reply under seal presented to The Chief Justice and by him referred to the Court are granted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The only grand jury matters that I know of recently referred to the supreme court for review was the Grand Jury working on indictments and such for the special counsel's office. The unnamed foreign owned entity filed for permission to file for a stay and a writ of cert to the SCOTUS under seal (so it isn't public record) and was granted. Another bit later on granted them the ability to file redacted things that would be public.

Also at the end of the list of orders is a small opinion written by Alito signed by Gorsuch, Kavanauh, and Thomas that would have put a whole lot more prayer in school. A high school football coach was fired because after games instead of supervising players, he would go to the 50 yard line by himself and pray for a few minutes. He sued and lost with two claims - he was wrongfully terminated and his free speech rights were implicated. He appealed all the way to the SCOTUS but they denied cert. There was nothing in the very brief record to indicate he was wrongfully terminated, so they cannot reach the merits on the second part. The short little opinion makes it very clear that at least 4 justices on the court are completely ok with allowing significantly more prayer in school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Icon Of Sin posted:

Who was betting on who the Mystery Company was in the Mueller probe? Sounds like we might find out soon.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/22/politics/mueller-supreme-court/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F%3Frefresh%3D1

This is what I posted earlier.

Flip to page 8 here to read the school prayer stuff - https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/012219zor_8759.pdf

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As Nero Danced posted:

In this country, two things stand first in rank: your flag and your mail. You all know what honor you pay to your flag, but you should know, also, that your mail, — just that ordinary postal card—is also important. But a postal card, or any form of mail, is not important, in that way, until you drop it through a slot in this building, and with a stamp on it, or into a mail box outdoors. Up to that instant it is but a common card, which anybody can pick up and carry off without committing a criminal act. But as soon as it is in back of this partition, or in a mail box, a magical transformation occurs; and anybody who now should willfully purloin it, or obstruct its trip in any way, will find prison doors awaiting him. What a frail thing ordinary mail is! A baby could rip it apart, but no adult is so foolish as to do it. That small stamp which you stick on it, is, you might say, a postal official, going right along with it, having it always in his sight.

I was impressed, nevertheless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Senate is voting right now on the president's plan to reopen the government. Needs 60. Is currently 42 yes to 46 no so it's dead. Mitt Romney just voted yes for it.

Afterwards they'll vote again on the clean CR passed by the house.

E: Only republicans to vote no so far are Cotton and Lee.

Dems voting yes: Manchin.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 24, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump's wall plan just hit 50 votes, which means incoming bitching from him about the filibuster. Final vote 51-47.

Now they're going to vote on the clean CR.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nwin posted:

One of the few times I wish I had CSPAN.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?457171-1/us-senate-procedural-votes-open-government-underway&live

that's how I'm watching.

I have a feeling even if this plan hits 60 (it won't) that pissbaby will veto unless it gets 66 votes (it won't) and then bitch about the filibuster and his plan.

I hope you get paid, brah. Sucks to not get paychecks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

colachute posted:

If it passes then Trump can veto it right?

It only keeps the government open until the 8th correct?

Hell yeah let’s get petty with people’s lives up in this bitch.

If this passes, Trump can (and probably will) veto it. It will only fund the government until Feb 8, so we're here again in a couple of weeks. Only way i think Trump doesn't veto is if it gets close to 66.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And 41 no votes already, so gently caress you coasties keep working for free.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A number of republicans have voted yes so far including: Alexander, Isakson, Murkowski, Collins, Gardner, Romney, and Whitehouse.

Currently 51-44 so it's at least beating Trump's plan. No democrat voted no.

I think Marco Rubio may have no showed. Final vote 52-44.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 24, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Handsome Ralph posted:

Whitehouse isn't a republican.

He was the last dem to vote then. Either way, it failed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

redneck nazgul posted:

If you fund things piecemeal, the GOP is absolutely going to shut down the government and only fund what they want.

If you give Trump his wall (because he wants something tangible as a legacy), he's going to keep playing hostage negotiation for things.

One of the notable Republican defections is Johnny Isakson from Georgia. Isakson is an older GOP dude, sort of the John Boehner type. He sees the writing on the wall because if this shutdown continues, the Atlanta airport is going to be affected and Delta is going to have his head piked in their boardroom.

The GOP is going to cave on this before Trump will.

There need to be 14 more republican defectors before anything real happens.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

redneck nazgul posted:

The longer this goes on, the worse it's gonna be for the donor class.

At the point where you have 60+ votes in the Senate, you're facing impeachment trial balloons.

That might honestly be when the shutdown ends.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird food bathtub posted:

About loving time that poo poo stain ends up behind bars. Hope he gets another Manafort "Yeah this is basically the rest of your life" sentence. For a day in hellworld, today is going to be a good day.

Roger Stone is going to flip the moment they present their evidence against him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Apparently Chad Ochocinco is Roger Stone's neighbor and watched the FBI arrest him/raid his house while he was getting ready for his morning jog.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The C-SPAM trump thread title is hilarious: "so much caving elon musk might get banned from twitter again"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, trump has not officially caved yet. We're awaiting his remarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1iE5cvWCh0

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump has a "very powerful alternative" that he's glad he didn't have to use "this time."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Senate passed CR through feb 15th with unanimous voice vote. House is expected to do the same shortly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Karl Marx posted:

:nws::nws:

https://streamable.com/lp3go

probably fake but maybe piss tape!?

:nws::nws:

:stare:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigDave posted:

Crash course?

Hugo Chavez was the former leader of Venezuela. He used oil money to shore up social programs and basically fund his social projects. 2010-ish, oil market goes batshit and crude kisses $110 a barrel. Chavez and the Venezuelans are rich as gently caress. This means cronyism, dummy jobs, cash being spread around, and any budget shortfalls are made up by oil revenues, since the oil industry is largely state controlled. Everyone is happy, so long as the money keeps pouring in.

2013, Chavez has a stroke and dies. He didn't really have a secession of power lined up like Castro, so things are kinda fubar for while. Maduro steps up from being Chavez's #2 to being the new president, and as chaotic as things are at the top, nobody cares because oil money keeps coming in.

September 2014, maybe 18 months after Chavez died, the oil market becomes glutted from North Dakotan and Texan frack oil and prices nosedive. What was once $110 a barrel is now worth maybe half that. The Saudis can withstand the shock because their cash reserves can hold out from drat near anything, but the Venezuelans have been sinking their money into cronies and make work projects for the poor, not to mentions straight up embezzlement from the powers that be. Chavez and his supporters were betting that oil prices were never going down, and when they did, they were sitting on a pile of oil that was worth maybe a quarter of what they needed it to be. People lose jobs, food lines become a sign of the times, people start loving off to Brazil and Columbia, whatever. Venezuela takes a hit, but nothing more substantial then what we went through back in '78-80.

Two years later, as Maduro consolidates his power, takes over the remains of the oil industry and other state-owned entities, things begin to look up. Prices are still low, but at least they've been stable, and Maduro double downs his bet on oil, and cranks up production to make up for the lost revenue in 2014 and 2015. Then the bottom falls out from the oil market, and a barrel of WTI Crude drops to $29 by Valentines Day 2016. THIS is where things go from 'recession' bad to 'The Road Warrior' bad. Stores empty out, the bolivar becomes virtually worthless, food lines become food riots. Cops openly shake down druggies and gangbangers for protection money, and the Venezuelan Chiefs of Staff are named as heads of a major coke smuggling ring.

So, yeah. Oil prices are heading back up, but Venezuela can't benefit from it because they took out a second mortgage on their infrastructure back in 2016 and there's nothing left to profit from.

And to add to this, we are supporting an attempted coup and appear to be the backing/funding for a lot of the anti-maduro grassroots.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Please don’t post Bill Mitchell in this thread unless he’s an actual current event.

He’s less newsworthy than Jacob Wohl at this point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Remember two years ago trump signed an EP to hire 15k more CBP agents? Well, they were given almost $300m to do so. $60m of that went to Accenture, a contractor, to vet and hire these agents. In two years they’ve hired 33 new people.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Waroduce posted:

Bellator MMA which is the less talented good fighting organization compared to UFC had marines present arms and some country singer (I'm assuming) sing the anthem. It was weird I've never seen that before a fight. Also Fedor is russian and they didnt do the russian anthem

Fedor also was knocked out in ~35 seconds after the first punch bader threw knocked him to the ground and the first followup on the ground put him out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also the polar vortexes that are causing these monstrous cold snaps are caused by increased air temp in the arctic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Sorry I have people I work with who are in an absolute tizzy about how AOC is gonna take all their money and it loving infuriates me.

it's like "Bruh, you don't make a billion dollars, hell between you and your wife you don't even clear 500k. Your taxes might go up a little bit, but not excessively so, you will still be able to afford all the nice things. The people who are going to get the screws put to them are the folks who own multiple islands and jet set around the world without having to give a poo poo about cash flow anymore."

People between 100-500k are seeing tax bills owed in most cases because of the new republican tax plan. In some cases they’re being hit with under-withholding penalties even though they had the same w4 exemptions as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

sharknado slashfic posted:

Ok I gotta ask, what happened to Martello, I thought he just stopped posting

He did stop posting after his battalion got on him following the ruck march that destroyed his feet. The he got out, became a cop, had a very bad shoot, and is facing manslaughter charges iirc.