Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

if you try to fight lingering will, he's impossible to damage (as in, you'll just be pinging off an invisible barrier) until you've successfully dodged a certain number of his attacks. get hit once and the chain resets, and the number you have to dodge keeps going up as his health depletes

this isn't really telegraphed anywhere and it took me ages to figure out
this is a really really weird way to phrase "he is invincible during most attacks and only leaves large openings periodically" but sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That dude just got so many invincibility frames

That's why they didn't have any left over for the player in Dream Drop Distance.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I feel sorry for anyone who hoped Terra would play anything like Lingering Will.

Yozora -> FFXV Noctis is almost as much of a downgrade.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That loving Sned posted:

I feel sorry for anyone who hoped Terra would play anything like Lingering Will.

Yozora -> FFXV Noctis is almost as much of a downgrade.

Late-game BBS Terra with Ultima Cannon, Sonic Blade, Magnet Spiral, Brutal Blast, Counter Hammer, Thunder Surge, Magnega, and Ars Solum is probably as close as you 're gonna get

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Late-game BBS Terra with Ultima Cannon, Sonic Blade, Magnet Spiral, Brutal Blast, Counter Hammer, Thunder Surge, Magnega, and Ars Solum is probably as close as you 're gonna get

In retrospect, it would have been cool if they changed up his moveset just for the last fight with Xehanort (the one where you’re wearing the armor)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RevolverDivider posted:

I am like 99% certain that's not how it works, he basically just has extra invisible HP at the start of the fight you have to whack off him before you start seeing his health deplete regularly.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He has more HP than the bars can show which is why it seems like you do nothing for a while.

youre thinking of KH1 Sephiroth, not Lingering Will

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 27, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I'm making progress! Finished Hollow Bastion first visit on Critical last night. I had a friend giving me advice and moral support, which helped.

e: and now the Land of Dragons is thrashing my rear end. Hmm.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 27, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Augus posted:

youre thinking of KH1 Sephiroth, not Lingering Will

gently caress, you’re right.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ZZT the Fifth posted:

The centaurs are a huge pain in the rear end for what level Land of Dragons is supposed to be done at.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Centaurs are mean and rude, but you can manage them by baiting out easily guarded attacks and combo them in the opening after. And then just spam Blizzard when they get to half health and start using the fire bomb move with like no windup. But yeah, they’re basically Hot Rods if the game gave you less tools to handle them relative to their appearance, which kinda blows.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm making progress! Finished Hollow Bastion first visit on Critical last night. I had a friend giving me advice and moral support, which helped.

Critical mode is probably at its hardest early on. Don't be afraid to give some potions to Donald and Goofy in fights you're having trouble with. Chances are they might waste it but it might also be what makes the difference and they're gonna be more useful now than later in the game.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You can tweak their combat settings so they'll prioritize different tactics, which can help mitigate them wasting items and magic at inopportune times

Donald
Regular attacks - Constantly
Offensive magic - Occasionally
Defensive magic - Constantly
Advanced magic - Occasionally

Goofy
Regular attacks - Constantly
Special Attacks - Occasionally
Shield Techniques - Constantly
Support Actions - Constantly

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My family is going to Disneyland for the first time this fall, and I have been charged with helping getting my kids (7.5 and 5) up to speed with some Disney characters they aren’t familiar with yet. The reason I’m here is that I’ve chosen to do that by running them through the Kingdom Hearts games. We’ve already played KH1FM, Re:CoM, and KH2FM, but now we are starting on BbSFM, and my problem is that this is the only mainline KH game I’ve never played before. All the others I have beaten at least once, if not half a dozen times. I know them inside and out and what the mechanics are and how to break the games to make it easier for my kids to button mash through them. BbSFM is a whole different beast for me and the sheer tonnage of new mechanics that they dropped on us during the opening sequence made my head spin. Does anyone have a guide they can point me to on how to cheese the Command Deck and Boards to rush the abilities like Second Chance and Once More to help keep my kids in the game longer? Googling just brings up a lot of click bait and guides that I’m not sure are still valid for BbSFM, so if anyone has something in their back pocket to just share, that would really make my life easier. Thanks!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Klungar posted:

My family is going to Disneyland for the first time this fall, and I have been charged with helping getting my kids (7.5 and 5) up to speed with some Disney characters they aren’t familiar with yet. The reason I’m here is that I’ve chosen to do that by running them through the Kingdom Hearts games. We’ve already played KH1FM, Re:CoM, and KH2FM, but now we are starting on BbSFM, and my problem is that this is the only mainline KH game I’ve never played before. All the others I have beaten at least once, if not half a dozen times. I know them inside and out and what the mechanics are and how to break the games to make it easier for my kids to button mash through them. BbSFM is a whole different beast for me and the sheer tonnage of new mechanics that they dropped on us during the opening sequence made my head spin. Does anyone have a guide they can point me to on how to cheese the Command Deck and Boards to rush the abilities like Second Chance and Once More to help keep my kids in the game longer? Googling just brings up a lot of click bait and guides that I’m not sure are still valid for BbSFM, so if anyone has something in their back pocket to just share, that would really make my life easier. Thanks!

This ability creation guide shows the absolute minimum commands you need to get all the abilities.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/psp/943347-kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep/map/7314-ability-creation-guide
Also, if you're just trying to get through BBS quickly, you don't need to play the command board

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 28, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That article's evidence for any of its statements is "Well I personally don't see why this wouldn't be the case"

None of it is substantiated on anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, nevermind then. We’ll see how it goes in that case (I expect we won’t hear anything further on this or Missing Link until 2024 or maybe late this year at the earliest)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Just coming in to say that Roxas, Namine and Xion should end up in a polyamorous relationship. Make it happen Nomura, gently caress what Disney says

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

According to the official Twitter account it seems we'll be getting some info on Missing Link next week (I don't expect to hear anything about KH4 until next year at the earliest though)

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Just coming in to say that Roxas, Namine and Xion should end up in a polyamorous relationship. Make it happen Nomura, gently caress what Disney says

axel is there too

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Between the Riku Replica's ending and how Riku is the one to pick up Namine after her return, it really seems like "Riku/Namine" is the pairing being pushed, behind Sora/Kairi and Roxas/Xion (and Lea/Isa).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaLyl_QigHE

Missing Link time~

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That rendition of Dearly Beloved is weird and I think I like it?

Also, I didn't actually know this before but this seems like the in-between game that ties together KH3 and 4, judging by the talk about existence and non existence and the astral plane bridging the two.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gologle posted:

That rendition of Dearly Beloved is weird and I think I like it?

Also, I didn't actually know this before but this seems like the in-between game that ties together KH3 and 4, judging by the talk about existence and non existence and the astral plane bridging the two.

It takes place after UX chronologically but yeah. Interesting they’re going full 3D with this one complete with cutscenes. What does the GPS part mean though?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

It takes place after UX chronologically but yeah. Interesting they’re going full 3D with this one complete with cutscenes. What does the GPS part mean though?

Similar to Pokemon Go

There's also the ability to form 3-person teams and fight raid bosses

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Similar to Pokemon Go

There's also the ability to form 3-person teams and fight raid bosses

Though the trailer does mention that you can play this one without stepping outside. Does our main character have a name yet or is he another avatar you can name/customize yourself?

At the very least this seems a little better than the Beta impressions made it out to be and feels more like a KH game mechanically than UX/Dark Road did. I’m going to assume they’ll still be releasing the story content in chunks though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 30, 2023

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Larryb posted:

Though the trailer does mention that you can play this one without stepping outside. Does our main character have a name yet or is he another avatar you can name/customize yourself?

They're another avatar. We've seen screenshots of the outfit customization screen, though we don't know if there's a "default" name for them for media and such.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Balache404 posted:

They're another avatar. We've seen screenshots of the outfit customization screen, though we don't know if there's a "default" name for them for media and such.

Did the UX avatar have a default name in supplementary material out of curiosity?

Curious how much of a gacha element this one will have

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 30, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nooo I’m already wasting time/small amounts of money on FFVII Ever Crisis don’t do this to me Square

Bombyx
Dec 7, 2022

Larryb posted:

Did the UX avatar have a default name in supplementary material out of curiosity?

AFAIK they're only ever referred to in second person, both in the KHX novelization and the Daybreak Town character file. No default name in sight, looks like. :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the stuff about it being “a forgotten period oh history” makes it seem like something that can ultimately be ignored. But perhaps that is wishful thinking

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All the stuff about it being “a forgotten period oh history” makes it seem like something that can ultimately be ignored. But perhaps that is wishful thinking

It’s Kingdom Hearts, you should know better than that by now

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Am going against popular opinion but I think a good batch of the spin-offs can ultimately be ignored.

Though am sorta interested in Missing Link especially if this GPS stuff is not doing anything like Pokémon Go or MH Now or anything.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Am going against popular opinion but I think a good batch of the spin-offs can ultimately be ignored.

Though am sorta interested in Missing Link especially if this GPS stuff is not doing anything like Pokémon Go or MH Now or anything.

I'm not sure this is really an "opinion," it's just a fact that KH3 directly references and continues on from every game that came before it. If you skipped CoM, Riku's character arc is lost. If you skipped BBS, all three of those characters are lost. If you skipped Days, you have no idea why Roxas and Axel care about this black-haired Keyblade Wielder that came out of nowhere. If you skipped 3D, you have no idea how Xehanort and the Xehanorts came back or what their actual plans are. The only one that's kind of skippable is Coded, because the only thing that informs for KH3 is what Pete and Maleficent are up to, but even that's not nothing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, I think KH3 itself explains what Pete and Malificent are up to well enough without coded (they lookin for a box). 0.2 skippable, all them mobile games (I think two at the time) skippable since it just informs a single cutscene. It came out after but Melody of Memories probably also going to be skippable for KH4.

Like I dunno, every game gets tied in but a bunch aren't really essential. There'll be a cutscene or two that will fly over your head if you miss a game but I genuinely don't think its that big a deal. Days is pretty much the only side game that feels super essential to me (since BBS and 3D are basically just straight up sequels).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think 0.2 exists to explain two things, other than that it can be safely skipped: Why Mickey didn't rescue Aqua while he was in the realm of darkness looking for the Kingdom Key D, and why Mickey is shirtless at the end of KH1. Even though in the original PS2 version Mickey was so silhouetted you couldn't really make out anything he was wearing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, I think KH3 itself explains what Pete and Malificent are up to well enough without coded (they lookin for a box). 0.2 skippable, all them mobile games (I think two at the time) skippable since it just informs a single cutscene. It came out after but Melody of Memories probably also going to be skippable for KH4.

Like I dunno, every game gets tied in but a bunch aren't really essential. There'll be a cutscene or two that will fly over your head if you miss a game but I genuinely don't think its that big a deal. Days is pretty much the only side game that feels super essential to me (since BBS and 3D are basically just straight up sequels).

The ending of Melody directly leads into KH4 (Riku finds out where Sora is and goes after him) and we literally see Marluxia’s sister from UX in the trailer (plus the whole deal of the Master of Masters and the Foretellers seemingly being the new baddies for this arc), also Ephemer makes a cameo in KH3 and Luxu/Xigbar references a cutscene from UX at the very end of the main game as well

I do agree that 0.2 and Coded are probably the least important games in the series though (the relevant bits from the latter are pretty well surmised in DDD and KH3), possibly Dark Road as well though it does at least answer some questions from its predecessor

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 31, 2023

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i have yet to check out any story recaps from UX or watched back cover and i'm pretty sure i never will. there is literally nothing they can do to make me care about it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gologle posted:

and why Mickey is shirtless at the end of KH1.

This is the only Kingdom Hearts plothole that needed filling tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Amppelix posted:

i have yet to check out any story recaps from UX or watched back cover and i'm pretty sure i never will. there is literally nothing they can do to make me care about it

It’s like the most important thing to the entire story especially for what’s to come lol