Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

You're missing out on an excellent opportunity to teach from a very young age that life is unfair.

I might be a Navy veteran but that doesn't mean I think perpetuating cycles of abuse is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

I might be a Navy veteran but that doesn't mean I think perpetuating cycles of abuse is the way to go.

Ok so I’m just kidding around but I don’t think it’s actual abuse. It’s just kind of what happens with relatives sending gifts with big dates so close together.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
As an early December birthday, it’s not great. So many “oh we’ll give you your gift at Christmas when we see you.”

My parents did always do their best to get my parties in ahead of the busy Christmas get together too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mother in law open mouth coughed and spat onto $100 worth of meat and cheeses before I got a single piece rip

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Mother in law open mouth coughed and spat onto $100 worth of meat and cheeses before I got a single piece rip

Time to reenact the defenestration of Prague

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

wars have been started for less

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There was capocollo and her mouth was full of food

tbf her husband then poo poo his pants at dinner

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I am horrified but now oddly intrigued at your Nutty Professor-esque Christmas dinner.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wrong Theory posted:

I don't think it's underrated but I feel like it doesn't get brought up much for the holidays, Muppets Christmas Carol is such a good movie. Happy holidays goons!

I've watched it at least 20 times and won't get tired of it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Christmas with two obese old people who don't take care of themselves and live in a dog piss soaked hoarder house" was the working title for Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

michael caine or tim curry

who is the muppet champion

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I got a bunch of merino wool Darn Tough socks for Christmas and I'm really, really excited about them. Almost as excited I am about the new flannel sheets/bedspread that I got for my wife, dogs and I.

Hope Santa brought you all everything you wanted this year!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I got a bunch of merino wool Darn Tough socks for Christmas and I'm really, really excited about them. Almost as excited I am about the new flannel sheets/bedspread that I got for my wife, dogs and I.

Hope Santa brought you all everything you wanted this year!

A bought 6 pair of Coyote brown darn tough boot socks back in 2012 or so and wore them for the last 9 years I was a marine and now wear them all fall and winter. They are still holding up great. Things are drat near indestructible.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I got a turkey dinner for the first time in two years this Xmas, so that was nice!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
CW parent death my dad entered hospice care at home on Wednesday, the day after my husband and I tested positive for COVID. in the meantime my dad has been getting worse and he hasn't really eaten anything besides small meals once a day since. he's not quite bed ridden, but can't shower alone, his thoughts aren't really there anymore and I'm stuck eight hours away waiting to be clear to go and hope he's not dead by the time I get there. I hate all of this. the plan was for my parents and us to get a place together so they can retire and we can help take care of them as needed. now this poo poo happens and I don't even drink anymore, at least not often since starting ssri's.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'm sorry.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pine Cone Jones posted:

CW parent death my dad entered hospice care at home on Wednesday, the day after my husband and I tested positive for COVID. in the meantime my dad has been getting worse and he hasn't really eaten anything besides small meals once a day since. he's not quite bed ridden, but can't shower alone, his thoughts aren't really there anymore and I'm stuck eight hours away waiting to be clear to go and hope he's not dead by the time I get there. I hate all of this. the plan was for my parents and us to get a place together so they can retire and we can help take care of them as needed. now this poo poo happens and I don't even drink anymore, at least not often since starting ssri's.

:glomp:

I feel for you, man.
I buried my mom the Wednesday before Christmas. Two years ago she was diagnosed with colon cancer. Got the tumor removed but declined chemotherapy. In her words "I'm 80 years old, anything could kill me at any time. I don't want my final years to be miserable." This August we were talking about getting her an apartment within a mile or two of my sister and myself, enjoy the last couple years close by each other. A week after we were laughing and visiting and talking about that plan, it became really really evident that the cancer spread to the brain. All of a sudden she was confused, couldn't process complex instructions, and had difficulty with short term memory. Hardest loving thing I have ever done was tell her that the results of the test were in and she wasn't going to see 2024.
A coworker who went through something similar a few years ago told me this: be prepared for the guilt you'll feel about the relief you'll feel.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

At this point, I think I'd just like him to pass soon and painlessly in his sleep and not have to deal with the decline the tumors in his brain and so quickly giving him.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My father passed away on November 19th.

That guilt you feel is real too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I'm so sorry man. I dealt with a similar situation when my Step-Dad was dying from stage IV lung cancer at the height of COVID lockdowns, I didn't get to say goodbye in person. I'm hoping you get that chance however things shake out.

Stultus Maximus posted:

:glomp:

I feel for you, man.
I buried my mom the Wednesday before Christmas. Two years ago she was diagnosed with colon cancer. Got the tumor removed but declined chemotherapy. In her words "I'm 80 years old, anything could kill me at any time. I don't want my final years to be miserable." This August we were talking about getting her an apartment within a mile or two of my sister and myself, enjoy the last couple years close by each other. A week after we were laughing and visiting and talking about that plan, it became really really evident that the cancer spread to the brain. All of a sudden she was confused, couldn't process complex instructions, and had difficulty with short term memory. Hardest loving thing I have ever done was tell her that the results of the test were in and she wasn't going to see 2024.
A coworker who went through something similar a few years ago told me this: be prepared for the guilt you'll feel about the relief you'll feel.

Parent death guilt When my mom passed, she had recently relapsed into drinking again, and there was just this gut feeling that she wasn't long for this world anymore. The morning she was found, my step-dad called me at like 6AM to tell me. I saw the call come in, immediately knew what it was about, and ignored it so I could go back to sleep for a couple of hours since I had been up to 2 the prior night. On one hand, I felt awful because, well, my mom died and my initial reaction was "I can deal with this after I get some extra sleep" on the other, I think it was my brain being relieved I no longer had to deal with my mom's alcoholism and other issues. I loved my mom dearly, but there was only so much I could do to help her and be there for her for nearly 2 decades at that point. I've always equated dealing with someone like a parent or a child with addiction issues is like dealing with someone who is drowning. If you aren't careful, they will drown you too. I was relieved my mom passed, and still am sometimes (it was pre-covid which I think would have really given me a ton of unneeded anxiety and stress). I felt really guilty about my reaction at first (and still do on occasion), but therapy and time have helped a ton.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think my biggest guilt point is being happy my dad passed before Trump became a thing because I'm not absolutely certain he wouldn't have joined the cult. Now I can keep all the good memories and not have to face that lovely situation being possible.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

michael caine or tim curry

who is the muppet champion

Caine if only for the story that he wouldnt do it unless he was allowed to remain in character.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Important dad question:
If I make chili with harissa instead of chili powder, is it still chili, or would it then be some kind of mutant tajine?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Important dad question:
If I make chili with harissa instead of chili powder, is it still chili, or would it then be some kind of mutant tajine?

It's just chili paste instead of chili powder. If it tastes good don't over think it. I made Chili on New Year's day, and I used the Chili Queen recipe, so no beans, big chunks of pork and beef, and I ground up my chilis in a molcajete that I happen to own. I will never use ground beef in chili again. Not that it's bad, but the big chunks are so much better, even if I choose to make a bean and tomato based chili.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 4, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Need some non-gender specific parenting advice -

Our baby’s been a lot more mobile lately and is about to start walking. Tonight while she was with me on the couch she stood up to play with some books on a nearby shelf, toppled over, and banged her forehead on the top of the coffee table. Luckily I did catch her as she fell so it wasn’t worse, but it wasn’t graceful because I was distracted by my phone so she did manage to take a hit. She’s fine and doesn’t have a mark.

My wife was understandably upset, but responded by saying she could no longer trust me with the baby and wouldn’t be going on her planned day trip in a couple weeks. She brought up parenting mistakes I made months back that I fully acknowledge, and dared me to bring up anything that she did.

I chose not to mention that just yesterday when I got home from work she told me that the baby had slammed the back of her head on the marble hearth under her watch. When she told me this I didn’t get mad, just took it as something that happens and asked her what she did to make sure the baby was ok.

How do I navigate this? I feel awful it happened and have no problem admitting fault, but I’m also frustrated with the response and guilty over feeling frustrated.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Babies are remarkably resilient and it feels like they spend the time between when they start being mobile and when they can start forming complete sentences, mostly trying to find creative ways to get themselves killed.

I wouldn’t stress over some bumps and bruises that happen because your kid has zero sense of danger or self preservation. Obviously, common sense applies here but barring the need for hospital visits or signs of things that might cause permanent injuries, I was always in favor of providing some guard rails but generally letting my son explore and learn stuff on his own. Sometimes that meant he busted a knee or bumped his head and that was fine.

How your spouse responds to that style of parenting is another question and it seems like maybe you and she are not on the same page when it comes to styles. It’d make sense to sit down and have that conversation to make sure you both are aligned in your parenting efforts.

Another thing to consider hashing out would be her comments about not trusting you to parent and needing to cancel a trip so she could be there to make sure the kid stays safe. The implication being that she feels like the primary parent and sees you as someone who fills the void in her absence. Maybe that’s how you are comfortable splitting roles but I always felt like half of parenting throughout all of the stages of my son’s childhood was on me and half was on my wife. We were a team always and tried to stay unified and never contradicted each other in front of our kid.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah that's the truth about the parenting styles. I'm surprised it shook out this way because I'm the one with a pre-existing anxiety condition, but she became an incredibly anxious person since giving birth. I've had to ask her to leave the nursery several times when changing the baby's diaper because she practically had a panic attack watching me without being able to step in and do it her way.

I'll have that talk with her. Some sense that she's the primary caregiver seems unavoidable considering that she's not returning to work and I work full time with limited WFH opportunities, but treating me like a babysitter isn't acceptable. She's a great mom who has a lot of experience being around kids with pediatric nursing, and I have a lot to learn, but I gotta be able to do it.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Need some non-gender specific parenting advice -

Our baby’s been a lot more mobile lately and is about to start walking. Tonight while she was with me on the couch she stood up to play with some books on a nearby shelf, toppled over, and banged her forehead on the top of the coffee table. Luckily I did catch her as she fell so it wasn’t worse, but it wasn’t graceful because I was distracted by my phone so she did manage to take a hit. She’s fine and doesn’t have a mark.

My wife was understandably upset, but responded by saying she could no longer trust me with the baby and wouldn’t be going on her planned day trip in a couple weeks. She brought up parenting mistakes I made months back that I fully acknowledge, and dared me to bring up anything that she did.

I chose not to mention that just yesterday when I got home from work she told me that the baby had slammed the back of her head on the marble hearth under her watch. When she told me this I didn’t get mad, just took it as something that happens and asked her what she did to make sure the baby was ok.

How do I navigate this? I feel awful it happened and have no problem admitting fault, but I’m also frustrated with the response and guilty over feeling frustrated.

When my daughter was around 1 she picked and ate one of my Carolina reapers thinking it was a sweet pepper. We only found out because my son told us she was thirsty. Kid love hot stuff now as a thirteen year old. What doesn't kill them makes them darn near invincible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress me i may have a mild leak in my stove. never had to replace a gas stove this could be fun.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So seeing another USAA Gronk I figured I'd ask, what's a better home and auto insurance company?

I've used USAA for home/renters and auto for a long time but it seems to keep increasing without benefits. When I've had to make claims they've been fine but that is the bare minimum imo

We're about to close on our home in Delaware so seemed to be a good time to change it out made sense

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

So seeing another USAA Gronk I figured I'd ask, what's a better home and auto insurance company?

I've used USAA for home/renters and auto for a long time but it seems to keep increasing without benefits. When I've had to make claims they've been fine but that is the bare minimum imo

We're about to close on our home in Delaware so seemed to be a good time to change it out made sense

I don't know if it's better cheaper than USAA, but I've always been pretty happy with State Farm, we rolled Geico for quite awhile back in the day, but they were a pain in the rear end to deal with for claims.
I might have big boomer energy though, I appreciate being able to call in to my agents office and speak with them instead of having to wait for an anonymous service rep to answer a random dumb question.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

I gotta be honest, USAA has been great for me. I've had to make claims on both home and auto insurance and not only has the service been good, but my rates are as cheap or cheaper than anyone else. Also, they're one of the few decent companies that will underwrite homes in my state.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I tried finding cheaper auto insurance than USAA recently and nobody else could come anywhere close to as cheap as USAA with full coverage in WA.

The cheapest quote I got was still $400 more a year than what I pay USAA.

I think it works differently based on which part of USAA you fall under as a customer though. As a former officer I'm in the primary one that I can't remember what it's called.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
usaa rates on home insurance suck for california

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustang posted:

I tried finding cheaper auto insurance than USAA recently and nobody else could come anywhere close to as cheap as USAA with full coverage in WA.

I think it works differently based on which part of USAA you fall under as a customer though. As a former officer I'm in the primary one that I can't remember what it's called.

Yeah I check every once in a while and typically find that the competitors would only save me around $50 every six months, and probably cost me money losing the bundle with USAA home insurance.

I also tend to increase my insurance rates to the max or close to the max so that may also be why.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Mustang posted:

Maybe not for long.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...rear end-action-case

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

I'm doing my PhD research on military-to-civilian transition for ex-NZDF and need help sharing with people who might be interested. It's a long shot on here since most everyone is american, but if anyone here knows any kiwis who might be interested, PM me and I'll send through my study info!

I made a standalone thread for this but McNally suggested I post in a couple of other threads too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

hot sorcery posted:

I'm doing my PhD research on military-to-civilian transition for ex-NZDF and need help sharing with people who might be interested. It's a long shot on here since most everyone is american, but if anyone here knows any kiwis who might be interested, PM me and I'll send through my study info!

I made a standalone thread for this but McNally suggested I post in a couple of other threads too.

“From Falcon to Kiwi: the transition from soldier to civilian”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

“From Falcon to Kiwi: the transition from soldier to civilian”.

i regret to inform you the air force uses a kiwi as their logo lol

from kiwi to kererū?