Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hello Games forum! Some of you may remember that in 2017 I attempted to do a themed year of gaming. Each month was supposed to be a specific genre and I would only play games of that genre in that month.

It was meant to be a way to knock my steam backlog down as it currently is huge. Issues with my PC caused me to have to cut it short in April and this was a real bummer as I had been enjoying the constraints of the challenge.

2018 came along and near November I got a hankering to do another gaming themed year for 2019. I thought about doing monthly genres again but a completely different idea crossed my head.

Each week I would pick a game to start on Monday and see how far I can get. Each Sunday I would write up how much I enjoy based on what I have played, give a rating and explain whether or not I would continue on. 52 weeks, 52 games, Action 52!

I am going to do my best to finish these games because somehow last week I started and completed Yakuza Kiwami (fresh off the high of Yakuza 0) and that is something younger me used to do, so perhaps I can try it again this year? :D

I will also be moving into a newer place in the next couple of months which will drastically increase my gaming time, so it is very possible that I will have an even fuller year of gaming!

At least, this is the hope :)

Anyway.

I have started the first game of the new year with a PS3 title I have heard lots about, made the forums gangtag of it but never gotten round to playing myself:

Look out for an update from me about this in a few days time :)

I will also be posting a picture crop alongside each write up as a teaser for the game I will be playing the week after - and they will be tough!
To make up for it, I will also be giving out $5 gift certificates for whoever guesses which game it is correctly first! :)

Week 2 will be the following:

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yo vanquish is sick as hell my dude. Startin off with a bang.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guessing maniac mansion on that pic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awful app with the dreaded triple post
Mea culpa

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

VideoGames posted:

Week 2 will be the following:

Good luck!
I'm pretty sure it isn't 2064: Read Only Memories but that keeps popping into my head when I look at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqGIKlgSl1s

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Yo vanquish is sick as hell my dude. Startin off with a bang.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm pretty sure it isn't 2064: Read Only Memories but that keeps popping into my head when I look at it.

And you win! :D Well done! It is 2064: Read Only Memories! I got it on PS plus and the name alone intrigued me enough to put it on the list! I will be sending you a PM for a $5 gift certificate! Perhaps a spanking new title if you wish :D

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I fuckin love videogames

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't imagine playing a game for a week, loving it, and then dropping it cause the week is over but I can imagine reading a lot of video game thoughts and that part sounds cool

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

He can play another week of them next year

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I have only played the PC version of Vanquish but how different is the PS3 version?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

He can play another week of them next year

agreed, this is the rule now

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

Just a warning but I found 2064 horrendously wordy. I got the point of each conversation but then would have to button press my way through 20 more screens of dialogue. Still, I love the aesthetic and the music.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I thought 2064 was cute, and you'll be able to beat it in a week no problem. It's a little wordy but it's like a visual novel mixed with adventure games like Snatcher. It has a lot of cool bits to it, like using the headphones you get on different items in the environment to hear new music. I didn't beat it; I got about half-way, put it down for a time, and when I came back my save was deleted. I hope you are having fun with Vanquish and I hope you have fun with 2064 too. Good vibes in this thread.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I beat it, and thought about going back through for some different outcomes but the thought of replaying some parts just made me walk away.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This is supposed to be vanquish is good week not week 1 of a 2 week who cares about ROM series

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

This is supposed to be vanquish is good week not week 1 of a 2 week who cares about ROM series

That's true, Vanquish does rule pretty hard. The style of it is hilarious.

Since this is the PS3 version VideoGames is playing through there's no issues with the enemies like in the remaster, right?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's true, Vanquish does rule pretty hard. The style of it is hilarious.

Since this is the PS3 version VideoGames is playing through there's no issues with the enemies like in the remaster, right?

What remaster

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think they must be talking about the PC port but I don't remember any enemy issues. Didn't finish the game though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

These days a simple port to modern systems can get tagged as a remaster :shrug:

I just remember some posts in the chat thread around Vanquish PC having enemy damage issues

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GAME: Vanquish
TIME PLAYED: 4 hours of a possible 7 gaming hours.
RATING: Oorah!
QUICK THOUGHT: Pumped up, jumped up, bumped up, blitzkireg b movie!
COMPLETED?: Sadly no.

LONGER THOUGHTS:
OK! What a way to start off the new year. I have high hopes for Action 52 and a strong will to see it through no matter what happens to my tech (I have backup games in case things go wrong with any of my systems) and originally I was not going to play anything other than PS4/PC games. It was due to my falling in love with Yakuza in the last seven weeks of 2018 that caused me to replace my PS3 for an inevitable playthrough of 3,4 and 5 (two of which I discovered I owned.)

While doing so I saw Vanquish on sale for £2.99 and remembered how much I had heard it spoken about on these forums and with such reverence. I did not have a clue what it was about before the 1st of January and my only exposure was during the creation of the gangtag. Finding a few static pictures to work with, I had only a sort of idea of what it might be: Gears of War meets Halo.

Well, this sort of idea was completely incorrect on my part. I have played Halo and Gears of War and neither of them combined reach half as much fun as I had with this game. I truly wish I had had more gaming time this week because it was so easy to play and so easy to have a good time.

I am bad at video gaming, so any game that makes me feel badass without holding my hand gets high marks from me. Vanquish did just that. Speeding through tunnels, across metallic platforms, on my butt and coming to a halt to flip up and wail upon enemy after enemy all alongside a bunch of starship trooper like squad mates help flank me was frenetic and frantic.

Sometimes I lost visual control because so many bullets and explosions were happening and the music got a bit repetitive during the fighting, but that feeling of being a super powered super solider never left. I have not played many platinum games (this, Nier:Automata and 60% of Bayonetta before I accidentally wiped my save) but their reputation for fast paced action is a deserved one!

This week should have had more time for me to game within, but a few bits of life got in the way. I am going to list the potential amount of time I have to game each week as that will also show how grabbed I was. I am disappointed I did not get more time to play and this game is one I have to return to next year.

The opening cut scene was horrifying and I can barely think of worse ways to go. I also, as mentioned a little earlier, got flashes of Starship Troopers as I played. This is very much a good thing as I love that film and am wondering if the cheesy, tongue in cheek dialogue between Sam and Burns is an amalgamation of those wonderful cliches. I am through and through a story kind of gamer. I love tales of terrific things, of funny fables and of sad sojourns and even if it feels as though it might be a mad old standard bit of sci-fi fare I want to know where Sam takes his wonderful suit.

WEEK 1 SUCCESSES: Game enjoyed and wish to finish.

WEEK 2:

WEEK 3 TEASER:

(Hopefully this is a little tougher to get!)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I haven't played ROM so my perception of the game is entirely based on watching this voice acting trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E8MRSN6BWQ&t=179s

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I reckon week three is Iconoclasts.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

VideoGames posted:

WEEK 3 TEASER:

Gosh I can't figure it out, but that hourglass is giving me a nostalgia headache.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm getting vague Mega Man Zero vibes but I'm sure that I wrong.

VideoGames, that was an amazing writeup. I could feel your excitement burst off the page and it was infectious :3:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I was going to guess Megaman X but it can't be it. Definitely a later one, maybe a Zero or ZX.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Seedge posted:

I reckon week three is Iconoclasts.

It is not, I am afraid.

Rarity posted:

I'm getting vague Mega Man Zero vibes but I'm sure that I wrong.

VideoGames, that was an amazing writeup. I could feel your excitement burst off the page and it was infectious :3:

Thank you! I love to write about things I like :)

And it is not any of the mega men :)

Samuringa posted:

I was going to guess Megaman X but it can't be it. Definitely a later one, maybe a Zero or ZX.

Again, none of the mega men.

I think this will be very tough as I do not believe it is a well known game and I am not sure how I came to own it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is that Curse of the Crescent Isle?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the graphics look inspired by super mario world but i have no idea what it is. definitely interested in learning tho, I'm a big sucker for a good snes aesthetic

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It almost looks like an Easter Island head...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah and the color palette looks like its running through a supergameboy

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Could it be Kingsway or whatever it was called? My main computer died on me so I'd have to wait to get a replacement, but I might be able to access Steam on a borrowed laptop.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
It looks a bit like Terraria or another game that is aping SNES style

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Samuringa posted:

It's not Terraria, but this does make me think it might be Starbound

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that Curse of the Crescent Isle?

Afraid not :)

LordOfTheNoobs posted:

Could it be Kingsway or whatever it was called?

Nope.

Samuringa posted:

mfcrocker posted:

It's not Terraria, but this does make me think it might be Starbound

Not Terraria or Starbound either. :)

I may have made it too tough so if no one guesses right by Saturday, I will give a clue.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

VideoGames posted:

WEEK 3 TEASER:

I think the thing on top the totem/Easter Isle statue is a spring, so I bet it's a platformer. Wario Land 4, maybe?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think the thing on top the totem/Easter Isle statue is a spring, so I bet it's a platformer. Wario Land 4, maybe?

It is not Wario Land 4 either.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ok I am going to give out a clue because it does seem a little too tough.

It is a platformer and it is on PC. :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Even the Ocean?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

VideoGames posted:

Ok I am going to give out a clue because it does seem a little too tough.

It is a platformer and it is on PC. :)

Oh well obviously it's Celeste

jk i have no clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I know I've seen it but I can't quite place it. Discarded guesses: LISA, NewZeland Story, toki tori