Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GAME: 2064 Read Only Memories
TIME PLAYED: 4 hours of a possible 5 gaming hours.
RATING: Soulful.
QUICK THOUGHT: San Franciscan silicon sleuths search for soul in satisfying sojourn.
COMPLETED: 56%

LONGER THOUGHTS:
Week two began strong also! I can see Action 52 is going to make 2019 very interesting to me. I have such a bad habit of trying a hundred games at once and never sticking with things unless it really grabs me. These last few years only a few games have done that with enough grip to make me complete them. Having a strict one game a week rule is reigning in my indecision and my attention span!

First of all I have a soundbar on my TV so beginning 2064 I was immediately hit with just how funky an opening it had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhXZ9_3vqY
This is VERY much my jam. I love video game music and especially chiptune music. (It reminds me of all my time spent gaming with the NES and Megadrive). Such a strong bit of music to a really well narrated opening title put me in the mood to be the investigative journalist that the game revolves around. I was sold from the very first few notes.

Not only is the music pretty great, but I thought all the voice actors lending their talents to the characters did a fantastic job. Turing (the bot that is your sidekick throughout the game) Detective Rivers and the various Neo-SF police droids were my favourite voices to listen to and each had the appropriate cadence for whom they were portraying.

The vibes that the game was giving me equalled a mixture of Blade Runner, Will Smith's I Robot and classic Lucasarts Point and click games. The game is contained within a nice little box showing one scene at a time with a pretty simple to use interface. I like that a lot as I can focus on the text and the choices I am making in how to speak to people.

The writing was intriguing and while I have ideas where the story is going to go, I am not sure it is going to be as easy as I think. It feels mature enough not to rely upon regular hard boiled noir/cyberpunk cliches and I do not think that the writers would cop out in such a fashion. I love solving crimes/detective type stories and this was no different. I wanted to help Turing find their creator and if I had more time, I believe I could.

The art style was pretty vivid too and looked very good. I have never had issue with pixel art for games. I know it is usually used by indie developers because it is considerably easier to produce, but it never felt cheap in this game or a cost cutting measure. It fit the atmosphere that the game was going for and was consistently lush.

I think this could be classed more as a visual novel than a point and click, but the distinction does not really matter. Both kinds of games are fun to me and both kinds of games will appear in Action 52 again. This was a pleasant change of pace after Vanquish and I think I am going to keep up the method of switching up game types/genres at the end of each week.

WEEK 2 SUCCESSES: Had good fun, got my brain ticking over and over and mulling some sci-fi crime, and have a neat little story to return to at some point.

WEEK 3:

Recursion Deluxe
(Seems it was a little too tough! Let us hope that Week 4 is easier)

WEEK 4 TEASER:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

WEEK 4 TEASER:

I'm getting late 90s early 00s pre-rendered backgrounds from this. No idea what it might be - is that a big cone-shaped head hiding behind the fence?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I'm getting late 90s early 00s pre-rendered backgrounds from this. No idea what it might be - is that a big cone-shaped head hiding behind the fence?

I will give a clue out early for this one, but when I confirm the game name people are probably going to either say:

"Ugh!" or "Why?"

:mmmhmm:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

I will give a clue out early for this one, but when I confirm the game name people are probably going to either say:

"Ugh!" or "Why?"

Don't play Final Fantasy 8, it's not worth it :ohdear:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

VideoGames posted:

"Ugh!" or "Why?"

Oblivion?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Enslaved: Journey to the West?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
All good guesses but not quite correct! :D

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Heavenly Sword?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vadun posted:

Heavenly Sword?

I heartily approve of anyone playing Heavenly Sword :colbert:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would definitely put 2064 down as a visual novel, it's mostly just Turing talking at you

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Knack!? Ugh! Why?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Doom Goon posted:

Knack!? Ugh! Why?

HAH! :D You win!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Play knack on hard its grueling on later levels so you can at least pretend its the dark souls of uninspired childrens brawlers

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well the reason I picked Knack is because I think *fingers crossed* I am going to be moving to a new place that week, so something I can say I have tried/played without missing out too much incase it all goes hideously wrong.

:)

$5 title change certificate will be heading your way later tonight Doom Goon!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

As a member of the Knack Pack, I am ashamed for not recognizing those goblin fortifications

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
why does knack look like a blurry prerendered ps1 cutscene

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Looper posted:

why does knack look like a blurry prerendered ps1 cutscene

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

This would require copies to come on demo discs you get from pizza hut

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

As a member of the Knack Pack, I am ashamed for not recognizing those goblin fortifications

I honestly thought you would guess it. I truly did and then saw your guess and thought nooooo!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
my first experience playing crash bandicoot 1 was incredibly disappointing. our ps1 came with a demo disk that had 2 and my brother thought we should get it but i foolishly insisted we start with the first game

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In all fairness as soon as I read VideoGames's "hint" my mind went straight to goonitude. The Knack Pack's proliferation on these forums is the only reason I got it.

VideoGames posted:

$5 title change certificate will be heading your way later tonight Doom Goon!
Awesome, always wanted someone to buy me an avatar. I just thought it would be, you know... redtext. How's it work anyway, should I get an email?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Doom Goon posted:

In all fairness as soon as I read VideoGames's "hint" my mind went straight to goonitude. The Knack Pack's proliferation on these forums is the only reason I got it.

Awesome, always wanted someone to buy me an avatar. I just thought it would be, you know... redtext. How's it work anyway, should I get an email?

You will shortly be getting a PM from me with the certificate number in :)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Thanks! Since you confirmed there's no Kirby games and I won with Knack of all things I'm changing my evergreen guess to Bad Rats now.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

GAME: Recursion Deluxe
TIME PLAYED: 2 hours of a possible 2 hours.
RATING: the game is the game is the game is
QUICK THOUGHT: Adequately charming mind twister.
COMPLETED: World 2 out of 5.

LONGER THOUGHTS:
Recursion Deluxe is a game I have no idea how I came to own and a perfect example of why I set up a whole year of gaming in 2017 in the first place. My steam backlog is tremendous and unfortunately I could not tell you why or where I got all these games from.

A game I adore is VVVVVV. It is part of the single screen genre with a kicking soundtrack and a super simple control scheme. When I was going through my 1600+ list of steam games (yeah, I know! What on earth?!) I got echoes of VVVVVV from seeing the trailer to Recursion Deluxe.

It is a game where the screen you are on is unmoving and the only thing you will see for each level. As such going to either edge transports you to the flipside edge, like in the classic Nokia 3210 game snake.

The music is chiptune and is serviceable. Nothing stood out to me and I do listen to a lot of chiptune soundtracks.

Visually it looks fine too. I can tell what is what, and it has a rich sort of 16bit look to it. Luckily the controls are on point as well. One of the things I like least about many platformers are floaty and non responsive controls. I would say I rank responsive platformer controls higher than any other genre.

The actual levels do a good job with the difficulty. They start off quite simple and as you become more familiar with what to expect they start to mix up the movement and platforming. There is no story so the game is purely about the mechanics with different looking worlds/enemies. If you like the first few levels then I am sure you will like the next few.

I did have fun. It did not blow my socks off or set my world on fire but I feel I got enough out of the game to add it to my 'Finished' list. I do not finished every game I play and once I feel I have derived enough from it I will gladly stop playing it rather than force myself to 100%. It has taken many years to get to this point of view but I urge more people to put down those games they dislike and not spend their time forcing them to do things.

WEEK 3 SUCCESSES: Using the PC for gaming again, dusting off those single screen neurons that usually go unused. Got my fill satisfactorily.

WEEK 4:

Knack!
Actually, picking Knack (a game with a very apathetic reputation) is a plus for me as I am supposed to be moving this week. I am not losing too much time by picking it. Consequently, moving is going to bump up that possible hours number into the tens! So start seeing some more lengthy games appear!

WEEK 5 TEASER:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Knack's voice actor is great and he should get more work.

Conversely Jennifer Hale voices like half of the rest of the cast

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

VideoGames posted:

WEEK 5 TEASER:

Is this FRACT OSC? Or is it <lists 500 other Tron inspired games>

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is it Mario Kart 8 lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ha, nice answers but I will give a clue. It is free to play for the base but can buy a couple of large expansion packs to play the whole thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

Ha, nice answers but I will give a clue. It is free to play for the base but can buy a couple of large expansion packs to play the whole thing.

In that case I'm going to guess that it's a game elf help book should have guessed, Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's not Amplitude?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's Press Your Fingers Into Your Eyes And Watch The Imaginary Colors That Appear.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

In that case I'm going to guess that it's a game elf help book should have guessed, Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone.

You are 100% correct! :D

I had seen In Training mention it a few times in the general chat thread and thought it might be nice to try!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

VideoGames posted:

I had seen In Training mention it a few times in the general chat thread and thought it might be nice to try!

I'm gonna Miku Miku you (for reals).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

VideoGames posted:

Hell yeah

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

VideoGames posted:

I will also be moving into a newer place in the next couple of months which will drastically increase my gaming time, so it is very possible that I will have an even fuller year of gaming!

Why is that? Closer to work? Second TV to play games on if someone else is using the main TV?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hes moving into an abandoned game shop

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Hes moving into a haunted abandoned game shop

There ya go. Luigi's Mansion next!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the delay. I moved on the 26th and have been without internet since! It came back to me today, and is rather speedy, coupled with my lovely new place this means gaming can occur drastically more again.

I stupidly forgot to sign into the PS4 before I left so my PS Plus license for Knack was unable to be updated and as such I never got round to playing it.

Instead, these past two weeks I have been playing a completely different game which will get a write up on Sunday in Knack's place :)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Knack 2

Welcome back, VG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sounds like someone is trying to slack on Knack :colbert:

Good to have you back, VG :D