Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Boo!! You haven't lost a party member since a codex first appeared, why start now on purpose? <:mad:>

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
You wouldn't lose your items if someone died on this mission, by the way. I'm pretty sure that only happens on missions where you have to evac everyone at the end, and even then you can carry bodies out.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If you’re going to do a turkey shoot, use supplies to buy SPARK upgrades, cowards.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Step 1. Sell everything not nailed down at the black market
Step 2. Robot

turol
Jul 31, 2017
1. Upgrade PSI lab.
2. Train more magi.
3. Ultimate POWERRRR!

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
If you have multiple psi warriors with dominate on the team, does the game let you dominate multiple enemies or can you only dominate 1 enemy per mission regardless of how many psi warriors are on the team?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Pea posted:

If you have multiple psi warriors with dominate on the team, does the game let you dominate multiple enemies or can you only dominate 1 enemy per mission regardless of how many psi warriors are on the team?

One per psi dude :v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't even think dominate is the most broken power, they may or may not find that out

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

tarbrush posted:

One per psi dude :v:

Though the Dominate that procs through an Insanity effect can also happen, so you can on very rare occasions get two Dominated targets. Only think I've ever had that happen once, though. Gotta admit, playing WotC with the Skirmisher "sometimes you start with an ADVENT dude" power, then stealing a Heavy MEC, and then dominating an Andromedan is a very fun way to play the game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

jng2058 posted:

Though the Dominate that procs through an Insanity effect can also happen, so you can on very rare occasions get two Dominated targets. Only think I've ever had that happen once, though. Gotta admit, playing WotC with the Skirmisher "sometimes you start with an ADVENT dude" power, then stealing a Heavy MEC, and then dominating an Andromedan is a very fun way to play the game.

More than once that Skirmisher power triggered and three turns later I go "wait a minute, why haven't I killed that Advent Heavy... Oh he's mine? Carry on."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18088767

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Fwoderwick posted:

Step 1. Sell everything not nailed down at the black market
Step 2. Robot

turol posted:

1. Upgrade PSI lab.
2. Train more magi.
3. Ultimate POWERRRR!

These are all good options. Also I forget, did we get all the GTS upgrades? Get on that, if not.

And they never really figured out continent bonuses

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Was that Tea saying "Brisbane?" when you brought up the ADVENT Tower mission?

While it would be appropriate for Queensland and the Courier-Mail to be the HQ of evil alien propganda, unfortunately the map puts it closer to Melbourne. :cheeky:

turol
Jul 31, 2017
So when you fail the final mission will you honor Ironman and start over, call the LP without seeing the good ending, or reload the last saved game?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

turol posted:

So when you fail the final mission will you honor Ironman and start over, call the LP without seeing the good ending, or reload the last saved game?

If we fail the final mission we'll call the LP over and put a vote up on whether the thread wants to see us finish the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

https://www.strawpoll.me/18105239

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 3, 2019

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

You know what, that was played easy style, leaning hard on the psi powers, but I can't rate it too low for the sheer comedy of that void rift followed by the suit shell punching itself through the floor.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I enjoyed the turkey shoot, it rapidly going to hell was a feature.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

this was adorable

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

In which Ma and George go into a blood rage and Dash and Kerath are huddled up in the corner holding each other quivering with fear

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ManlyGrunting posted:

In which Ma and George go into a blood rage and Dash and Kerath are huddled up in the corner holding each other quivering with fear

I'm not saying fanart of this should be made immediately.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Look at all those Advent flopping over at the end, unable to cope with the p-funk George was blasting out over the Advent Network.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Things you missed and can't go back and get!

Continent bonuses! Each of the six continents (Oceania counts as one) has a random bonus they pick at a pool at the beginning of the game that you can see once you get Resistance Radio. You get these by contacting every region on a continent and building a number of radio towers on them, one for South America, Europe, and Oceana and two for Africa, Asia, and Notth America. You can find out what the bonuses are by mousing over the name of it. Quid Pro Quo in North America would have reduced intel costs at the black market. Below the bonus is a bar divided into sections, representing each region, with one or two small circles, representing the number of towers you need to build to activate the bonus.

The battlefield medicine foundry project would give +2 healing to every medkit charge. Just kind of skipped that one.

You weren't lucky enough to get the best, imo, powered heavy weapon: the blaster launcher. It's an upgraded version of the rocket, taking the form of a floaty sphere of energy. It has upgraded damage and area of effect, but it's most notable feature is how it floats around corners, so you don't need to find a good firing angle or anything. More useful I think, but it doesn't beat the shredstorm cannon for gratuitous environmental destruction.

I don't remember what ammo you got besides fire and venom, but there's also tracer (increased accuracy), armor piercing (ignores a few points of armor), and talon rounds (increased crit chance and damage).

The defense facility is indeed only used once or twice at most if at all, but it's cool when you do and you get a game over if you lose those missions. Two turrets at your start position; four with and upgraded facility, that can fire twice and have squadsight! They can fire four times if an engineer is staffed when the Avenger is attacked. Their accuracy falls off pretty quickly, but since the EMP spike is an environmental object, they will always hit it if a squad member is close enough for squadsight.

Letting the Avatar counter fill doesn't end the game right away. Instead it starts a 30-day doomsday counter, during which time you have to reduce the Avatar progress or then you get a game over. Progress on the Doomsday clock is not reset if you hit it multiple times on a play through unless you cut it realy close, and it isn't reset by a lot.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 4, 2019

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Natural 20 posted:

I'm not saying fanart of this should be made immediately.

nor I

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tea posted:

Ma does not believe in love

:colbert:

But it was great how paranoid you were about the final equipment situation!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
You really need to take George on the final mission. Really really really.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
These guys are constantly inventing better versions of these missions in their head.

Also, I always try to do that mission without being seen

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Also, I always try to do that mission without being seen
Yeah, it's always funny when you activate the pod in the final room, the music sting plays, the activation animation fires, your squad yells, "We're busted!"... and then one soldier reaches over and presses the "win" button on the computer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh this next one is going to be brutal, isn't it? :ohdear:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Haha, I hope you two were satisfied by what comes next. I'll admit the final level is more of a slog than a special challenge up to this point, but this last bit can definitely get a little frantic. Wondering if I'll hear you bemoan spending your heavy weaponry on that gatekeeper... but at least you made it without any injuries! Looking forward to seeing the finale.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, everything in this mission before the final chamber is a speedbump to try to get you to use up once-per-mission resources.

Whatever happens next, California Mustang got his one turn of being an absolute badass. Flying around on a jetpack, mirrorshades on his eyes, cigarette dangling from his lip, a blunderbuss full of plasma in his fist. Godspeed, soldier. :patriot:

Also, running the Advent Network Tower with effectively two soldiers and three mind controlled aliens, then baiting an Andromedon shell into punching itself through the floor, was incredibly stylish.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
You can hunker down to get rid of being on fire, instead of spending the health kit, I too realized this way too late.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

vorebane posted:

You can hunker down to get rid of being on fire, instead of spending the health kit, I too realized this way too late.

I was super mad when I found that out after having a scientist catch on fire getting out of the ADVENT van and then burn to death despite being in the rain with no apparent way to stop the flames.

Also, it may only be a WOTC thing and it's only occasionally relevant but you can put out fire by moving onto a water square, like a fountain in the city centers or a pool in the suburbs.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

vorebane posted:

Akratic Method posted:

I was super mad when I found that out after having a scientist catch on fire getting out of the ADVENT van and then burn to death despite being in the rain with no apparent way to stop the flames.

Also, it may only be a WOTC thing and it's only occasionally relevant but you can put out fire by moving onto a water square, like a fountain in the city centers or a pool in the suburbs.

It's a WotC change.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
California's epic turn was due to a combination of Icarus Jump being a free action and the QuickDraw skill allowing you to take a second action after firing a pistol as your first. Oddly, I think Fan Fire counts for that while Faceoff doesn't.

The Sectopod's leg extension is a free action that grants it a height advantage for aiming at lower targets while making it a bigger, easier-to-hit target. It also allows it to fiddle with the angle of its Wrath Cannon. After spending an action to warm up, it shoots an extra-wide plasma blast to damage enemies in a line.
It also has the ability to do an electric pulse to damage enemies around it, as if its death explosion wasn't deterrent enough.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Spoilers buddy!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

tarbrush posted:

Spoilers buddy!

Oh no these people who finished the game might be spoiled on obscure mechanics

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Wrath Cannon. After spending an action to warm up, it shoots an extra-wide plasma blast to damage enemies in a line.
Realistically, it causes the Sectopod get blown up by an alpha strike as it yells, "Shoot me before I finish charging my super attack!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

In which California Mustang turns into John Wick for a single round and Shanty Pete manages to have five aliens group around him like playground bullies and not receive a single scratch