Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

StoryTime posted:

In both games you absolutely want to figure out what you want to achieve during your turn, before moving any pieces. Moving pieces one by one and reacting to what happens is a very bad plan. Figure out a plan, decide on the moves to make, then execute in the order of least risk involved. There's no Turnover rule in XCOM, but there's all kinds of variations of 'Now my soldier is flanked by an army of aliens and there won't even be a corpse left'. "What is the worst thing that could happen to me in this position?" is a good thought to keep in mind.

This one's real important.

The biggest risk in XCOM is running into more aliens after you've already committed soldiers to bad positions, which naturally guides what soldiers you want to move first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Serial is a sniper skill, and on a sniper it only triggers with the rifle (which takes two actions to shoot), so yeah they didn't want you to move and then Serial and then feel like an idiot for wasting it.

It does make things a little wonky when you roll it as a bonus skill on a class that can move+shoot though. You need to activate the skill before you take your move.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Why take spite potshots when you can throw spite grenades?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You do get your OP as hell Shen to basically carry you through the fight. And you do need to properly engage with the gimmicks. But it is doable with a low-level squad.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dead Reckoning posted:

I doubt it: their "frost grenade bukkake" tactic will work just as well on real Sectopods as it did on Julian, who never got a shot off.

If you're relying on frost to stop a real sectopod getting a turn, you might be unhappy at the results...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Omnicrom posted:

What happens? I played through without the DLC for frost bombs and strategically deployed Stasis to shut those jerks up as needed so I don't know how they interact with frost. Do their double shots let them break out early?

Frost, like the Shutdown hack result, denies a certain number of actions. Real sectopods get more actions per turn than other enemies...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Intentionally picking a difficulty harder than easy is crippling yourself, why would you ever do it????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The real answer is to actively push the story forwards and wrap up the game now that you've got essentially all the toys. What are you waiting for?

Like, imagine a jrpg lp where there's a dozen updates of the lper grinding random encounters instead of just going and fighting the final boss.