Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I am curious as to how this goes. Last week I tried to learn a buddy of mine how to XCOM2, during which I left him alone for 5 minutes where in he got all his soldiers split up, one got mind controlled, and one got dead from said mind-controlled gunner.

It was a useful learning moment.

Expect a character file from me, I've also got a bunch of ones from other places on SA. A 'famous persons' one from the XCOM thread and the Syphon Filter one in particular. Lemme know if you want either, I'll try to run them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The extra content in WotC was enough that it took me til I hit second-tier weapons to understand how it all worked. Trying to come to grips with that plus the base game wouldn't be fun. Same as trying to jump directly into 1.13 JA2 or Long War EU/EW, always start with base game, the expansions/mods can come later to refresh the experience

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

StoryTime posted:

I run my campaigns off the goonpool from the games thread. It has XCOM soldier versions of all kinds of posters, for example Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka is in there. It's mondo cool.

+1 to this.

I wish I had the link to the Syphon Filter characters from Lune. Everyone needs to have a Nigel Cummings on their team. He is a top agent. And using Logan in LW2 was amazing once I discovered Assaults get tasers in that mod

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I'll throw in another tip, since it was really obvious when trying to kill that first Officer- you can cycle through soldiers, either by clicking on a soldier, or using Tab.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mordja posted:

I'd submitted Blast Hardcheese before realizing these guys are Brits and probably don't know MST3K. :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

While we're talking XCOM:EU/EW, the game also assumes you know about the mechanical genius and black comedian Raymond Shen, that games chief engineer.
(Edit- where the gently caress did I get 'Marcus' from?)

He died in the XCOM2 backstory while securing parts to repair the Avenger, hence his daughter Lily takes over. :smith:

As for concealment, enemies will never spot someone behind any form of cover, no matter how close. So remember

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 29, 2019

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mindshields don't block bullets. Or explosions. Or gravity

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Mr. Vile posted:

So, for the record:

Reloading only takes one action. Pete could totally have reloaded and then shot that zombie right in its dumb face.

To elaborate, with UI stuff that should have been better explained- you can click on an action, then Esc to back out. So you can see what it will do (this bit, you're already well on top of) and also if it's a turn-ender or not.

If there is a >| symbol on the right side of the dialogue box, the action will end your turn. If that doesn't appear, it will take an action but not end your turn. Shooting will show this. Certain common actions related to the spoiler above, will not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Natural 20 posted:

In particular, why can you aim at this but not aim at a car to make it explode?

Because grenades need to have their niche. Beyond guaranteed damage, area-effect and cover destruction. So it's because grenades are greedy bastards in the XCOM universe