Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Midtones with the usual black-grey-with-(more now)-blue-artisan-pigment rather than the previous test's P3 Coal Black. Dark stippling with Vallejo Metal Color Steel; lighter stippling with a 1:1 mix of Vallejo Model Air Silver and FW white ink.

The worst part of testing is when I'm halfway into a multi-day process and can't tell whether it's working or not. I think I may need to go in and reinforce some shadows with airbrushed nuln oil or dark tone or something, but I think for this one I'll skip that in the name of seeing if the all-over dark tone wash after the decals/gloss cures all ills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
you are good at painting

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

you are good at painting

Thanks, man. I try.

So this seems to be working and like an improvement over the first test. After I laid down all the metals, hit it with gloss varnish, applied the decal, and then hit the decal with a layer of gloss, I did the usual all-over dark tone / mixing medium wash, which dulled down my metallic stippling considerably. I reinforced it again just a tiny bit, this time with Metal Color Steel and Metal Color Chrome. I think Metal Color Chrome is going to be the better choice than Model Color Air + FW White Ink, and for test 3 I'm going to have to try using that for the pre-wash stippling highlights. I also tried just a bit of weathering on the Raven Guard shoulder insignia, which seems to have been a mistake, though that may change later.

And then I did the eyes. Interesting how even this very small amount of OSL under the eyes doesn't work at all -- I think the "realistic" weathering is contrasting with the stylization.

Next steps will be leather, purity seal, and auspex screen, then hit it with Vallejo Mecha Matte Varnish. Really curious what the latter will do to the post-wash stippling. I could do some of it overnight but gently caress it, I'mma go to bed.

OSL aside, I really, really like how the eyes tuned out; there's a lovely contrast between just this washed-out, blasted out palette I've got going here which still reads as black, which is great, and these bright yellow glowing eyes. It's just lovely. Very happy with that.

(And if I hadn't done that attempt at OSL, the contrast between the eyes and the rest of the model would be even more striking, sigh.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 3, 2019

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Built a SlamLord for my Chaos Marines

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Okay, he's done up to the point where I need to hit him with matte varnish. Past that I'll need to reinforce the metal highlights and do the gun scope and auspex screen with a bit of gloss varnish from a brush.

Much happier with this purity seal. Instead of Rakarth Flesh, wash with Seraphim Sepia, and highlight with Pallid Wych Flesh, I did Rakarth Flesh, then the Wych Flesh highlight, then a wash with 1:1 Seraphim/Lahmian. More subdued, fits with the washed-out tone of the black metal.

This is going better than the first

Bonus shots: The dude on the right is the last time I painted this particular pose of Easy-to-build marine and also the first Raven Guard I ever painted.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Painted some Fistercessors https://www.instagram.com/p/BxCqhBvntsY/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=14c9rij5vstmz

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Painted up a halfling samurai/weeb

Also learned it might be time for a new monitor because most of my other screens, that pic looks fine, but on this one, it's looking blown out or something.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I really hate the Easy to Build Intercessor Sergeant. I hate his dumb face and his awkward pose. So for test 3 I decided to kitbash myself up some bullshit. Sequitor heads just aren't quite big enough to work as full space marine heads, but I wanted her to be a woman because the first time I assembled and painted this model I made her a woman then, too, and this is turning into sort of a re-do of those three first Raven Guard.

(For the record, it's a counts-as power sword until Intercessor Sergeants get lightning claws.)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Stephenls posted:

I really hate the Easy to Build Intercessor Sergeant. I hate his dumb face and his awkward pose. So for test 3 I decided to kitbash myself up some bullshit. Sequitor heads just aren't quite big enough to work as full space marine heads, but I wanted her to be a woman because the first time I assembled and painted this model I made her a woman then, too, and this is turning into sort of a re-do of those three first Raven Guard.

(For the record, it's a counts-as power sword until Intercessor Sergeants get lightning claws.)

I am all about this, great work so far!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

(almost) Finished bannermen for the unit of Lothern Sea Guard. Found out my sister-in-law has a really fuckin' awesome camera, so I was able to take significantly better pictures of these guys. And of course, as I post this I realize I didn't put any shine on any of the gems (including the one on top of the banner).

Lines of archers, meant to be in the front of the other two stands of the unit. Not much to say about these guys, they're about as basic as can be, which is a nice distraction from...

...three lines of spearmen, all of whom have freehanded shield designs. The one elf in the first taking an arrow was sculpted like that, so he got an extra little dab of Blood for the Blood God both on the armor and running down the arrow to the shield. All the spear tips on these guys were also replaced with silk pins, as the original tips were half bent, fully bent over, or missing completely. Should probably go over the red-on-blue designs with something a little stronger, as well as tighten up the white star on the last shield of the middle group, but I just started getting sick this morning, so that can wait. And I just noticed I didn't add any water for the phoenix on the first shield in the middle group either, so I should probably do that as well.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Okay, that turned out well. I clearly need to practice painting faces more, but I think this is how I'm doing my Raven Guard now.

(Not actually done, need to do final matte varnish, then final metal highlights, etc.)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

She turned out great! I cannot wait for the sweet, sweet :biotruths: tears you will harvest with this mini.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Stephenls posted:

Okay, that turned out well. I clearly need to practice painting faces more, but I think this is how I'm doing my Raven Guard now.

I'm very lucky to see these after deciding to make a chapter of women space marines. That's so good I'm more than confident about it now, thanks so much.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Last guy for this squad. Working on the glow, and some cleanup left then on to basing them

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Making that sweet progress!

Oh god. Don't look under here.

I might still have a long ways to go.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Mostly done third wizard for my army, just gotta finish basing and hit the dullcoat. The other one I have of the same model is on a whirlwind and shooting a fireball, so I wanted to have this one using water and earth. While a waterspout would be cool, I've never seen an earthball, so I went with a water jet and a dust devil.

Not 100% sure the dust devil comes across as dust and not just a brown whirlwind, but I used the same paints I've seen recommended for deserts in the dust devil, so :shrug: That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Aniodia fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 17, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Your tiny wizard is awesome.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My progress through blackstone fortress. Slacking on bases because I don't like painting them quite as much, but I'm almost done! Also thats the first fire I've tried to paint and I'm both proud of it and think it looks pretty bad.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Stephenls posted:

(Not actually done, need to do final matte varnish, then final metal highlights, etc.)

This might be my favorite of yours so far. Cool stuff.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I was worried I went overboard with the verdigris, but gently caress it, what better way to experiment with Vallejo Game Effects than on a Nurgle worshiping, skull aficionado?

His name is Mulgh. Mulgh Grulgus.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Cross posting from the 30k thread.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Did some more work on terrain for our massive Istvaan V board today. I’m pretty goddamn proud of this particular terrain piece.

The glow effects are entirely painted, and the photos are unedited.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Went pretty heavy on the highlights here but she ended up looking alright, I think.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Went pretty heavy on the highlights here but she ended up looking alright, I think.

If you're interested in feedback:

I think you've established really good contrast between the base tones and the highlights on the armor, gun, and cloak, but by comparison to that, the relative lack of contrast between basetone and highlights on the hair makes the latter look out of place. I suggest going back in and establishing a brighter golden highlight on the hair. For tutorials on how to do that, I'd actually recommend not looking at videos on how to paint hair on miniatures, but instead delve into the seedy underworld of copic marker "drawing hair" tutorials.

(The skin also doesn't have as well-established a set of highlights as the armor, gun, and cloak, but I think that sort of works, giving it a different feel from everything else on the model, since it's one of the few surfaces that oughtn't be shiny.)

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Not quite done with the second Dragon Prince hero, but goddamn do I love how that shield turned out, and I wanted to show that poo poo off as best I can.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It looks dope, but I gotta ask - are you smearing Vaseline on your lens before you take pictures? Your focus is soft enough to film daytime soap operas or douche commercials.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Hah, I wish it were just that easy. No, I just have really, really poo poo cameras on my phones. My current phone (an Alcatel Raven, thanks Obama) has a decent camera, in general better than the one I've been using, but for the life of me I can't get the goddamn thing to focus on what I want it to.

For example, I can have nothing else in frame but a black piece of paper and the mini, and rest assured you can see the individual fibers in the paper, but the mini is a blurry mess regardless of positioning. And I've even tried four or five different camera apps to see if I can't get anything working, and so far nothing. So I've just been using my old iPhone 4's camera, despite it being old as poo poo, because at least it will focus on something and you can kinda tell what's going on.

If there's an Android app that you'd recommend to take better photos, I'm more than happy to try it out (so long as it's free).

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I like Open Camera. It gave proper exposure control on my Moto X4 and also unlocked shooting RAW which allows further color correcting wizardry on importing it in Photoshop.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Need to get a proper white photo setup, but I wanted to share my newest model.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That’s a good model my friend.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'll have to do a side by side with my Bjorn. He was the first model I ever painted back in December of 2017. I didn't realize just how big the Redemptors were until I got this and it's huge in comparison.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Spent way too much time on a single boy. I like him though.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The Jumpoff posted:

Spent way too much time on a single boy. I like him though.

Looks great, especially that red. Care to share?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Maneck posted:

Looks great, especially that red. Care to share?

The red is insanely easy. It's one coat of AP Gun Metal, and a coat or two (depending on how deep i want the shade) of Vallejo Translucent Red. This was kind of a test model for my eventual second army, where i want the red to be the primary color.

And for anyone wondering about the colors in general: primer is AP Leather Brown, skin is basecoated AP Greenskin, wash with AP Flesh Tone, then AP Jungle Green in one or two coats. Leather straps are the primer color with Vallejo Wood Grain (translucent Brown) over top, same with the boots, when highlighted with AP Leather Brown. Gold is Retributor Gold, washed, then reapplied on raised areas. Teeth and nails are Vallejo Matte White, washed with strong tone, and rehighlighted with matte white.

This boy got way more effort than i put in normally to troops.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

So i picked up Soul Wars to start playing AoS and started with a Sequitor to paint the Stormcast half. I didn't like any of the scheme in the book as i wanted something very sea themed (maybe i'm playing the wrong army for that) and ended up with this. I'm hoping to get some feedback on the scheme before i move forward with all of them.

Things i am personally happy with:

The metallic blue. Vallejo Transparent colors are amazing over metallics and i'm not even remotely interested in changing it up.

The tabard color. I think it came out really well personally. I'm more open to changing it, along with anything else on the model, but i think the color and shading helps offset the INTENSE BLUE of the metals.

The Brass color. I think it helps provide a good, less vibrant shade that tones the model down.

Things i'd change for next time:

The other cloth color. It's Contrast Creed Camo, which i don't actually mind the color but i think the cloth robes will look better as another neutral instead of an earth tone.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'd try a wash of druichi over the brass. I agree that it should offset the other colors but it's too warm imo. Id also try white for the other cloth color.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

I'd try a wash of druichi over the brass. I agree that it should offset the other colors but it's too warm imo. Id also try white for the other cloth color.

Closest think I have to druchii is AP Purple Tone so I gave it a wash of that and it actually looks a ton better. I'll probably go for an off-white on the cloth. Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll have a scheme I really like now.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Been working on an entry for a local monthly painting event this weekend. Just need to pour some resin over the next few days.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
great paintjob but wheres her cuirass?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

great paintjob but wheres her cuirass?

It's there, but boobs.

Adbot