Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

First completed model of the new year. Going to be my goal to work on Inquisition forces for this month, and maybe, if I want to get real crazy, use them in a game.

Feels weird to work on models from this decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

richyp posted:

Double and cross post

That base is incredibly rad. Great job! :)

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
This kit is way better than boyz, both painting and building wise.

Out of curiosity, is there a size between timg and img? Because the opened thumb is about the right size, but img yields massive pictures.

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 18, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R0ckfish posted:

This kit is way better than boyz, both painting and building wise.

Out of curiosity, is there a size between timg and img? Because the opened thumb is about the right size, but img yields massive pictures.

You can put an "l" or "h" at the end of the image name before the extension in an Imgur URL and get a larger-sized image (large or huge, respectively), but then you have to manually put in the URL tags for the full sized version.

Ex:
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/clAekwYh.jpg[/img]
gets you

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

You can put an "l" or "h" at the end of the image name before the extension in an Imgur URL and get a larger-sized image (large or huge, respectively), but then you have to manually put in the URL tags for the full sized version.
Thanks!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

No problem. Imgur used to generate thumbnail codes like that automatically but they seem to have gotten rid of it for some reason.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Imgur occasionally likes to get rid of useful features (see: organising galleries in original filename order) in order to make room for new logos and 'social networking' features.

So long as they don't go full Photobucket they should be fine though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
I believe it's always good to have a few projects on the go; when you feel a bit burned out on one, you can leave it and work on something else for a while. So here's what's on the painting desk at the moment:

Upper right are some Chaos Cultists for Necromunda (with another unpainted batch in the upper left corner there) that are nearly finished; lower left is a WW2 German Panther tank (the one that came in the Tanks boxset) that is still WIP; and just above the Panther are three primed miniatures I'm working on for Rangers of Shadow Deep (the new solo/co-op skirmish game from the guy behind Frostgrave).

E: not shown are some Dollar Tree diecast toy car bodies soaking in some PineSol, for eventual repainting and use in Gaslands.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 19, 2019

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Painted up some Iron Hands for Kill Team. I used the Forgeworld recipe for oily black armor, and it didn’t come out as pronounced as I’d have liked but I wasn’t about to strip them down and start again.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm going out of my comfort zone and painting something that doesn't have an ounce of metal or weatherable surface on it.
Right now I'm sketching in the highlights, the face is mostly done. After I'll work on the shadows and finally bring back any mid-tones.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I painted up some Sentinels for my Faux-Praetorians. I wanted to call back to this pic of the old model.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

First completed mini of the year. Really looking forward to growing as a painter technically and professionally this year.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Got my highlights done, shading next.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Painted this wraith quickly. Still needs robes more defined. Played around with some rough NMM on the blade, never tried it before.

This guy is one of a pair of wraiths missing the scythe blades. Had a zombie kit with several scythes I scavenged.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a Big Mek w/ KFF, a nice quick to paint model.

I primed a Battlewagon for my next model, I doubt it will be as fast as the mek was just due to sheer size!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I made progress!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

dexefiend posted:

I made progress!

The image didn't load in on my phone for a moment, and I thought you had finally lost your mind. :rip:

Carry on you beautiful crazy bastard you! :patriot:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Inspector_666 posted:

Ex:
code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/clAekwYh.jpg[/timg]
gets you

What kit is this? Looks great :) 10/10

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What kit is this? Looks great :) 10/10

It's not quite 2 Nobz kits, they are pretty fantastic to build and paint.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

About the best I can do right now. Need to slow down and use thinner paints. I made a wet pallet about 75% through this group that really helped.

How can I tone down the tentacles?

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 22, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ropes4u posted:

About the best I can do right now. Need to slow down and use thinner paints. I made a wet pallet about 75% through this group that really helped.

How can I tone down the tentacles?

Tone down? I would emphasize them even more.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tone down? I would emphasize them even more.

That might be what I meant, what would you suggest?

Thanks to a blizzard I am working from home today, and by working from home I mean adding some pop to the boils and pustules.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 22, 2019

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I wish you’d phrased that differently :gonk:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
If you want to tone the color of the tentacles down, maybe give it a dark wash or two and see what you think?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Use some of the green you used for the base coat to mix into the purple when you do the highlights, and it'll pull the them together a bit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ropes4u posted:

That might be what I meant, what would you suggest?

Thanks to a blizzard I am working from home today, and by working from home I mean adding some pop to the boils and pustules.

You could use a brighter base color and then wash with a purple tone.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
First completed model of the new year.

On another note why did I decide to play admech they're hateful to paint

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gilljoy posted:

Every time you finish painting a Skitarii model, a new one will appear. That is a very pretty Cawl, though.

EDIT: your bank account will be debited, of course, no free mans here.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 23, 2019

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

gilljoy posted:

I'm glad you did. This is absolutely fantastic.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
Not really painting as such but I finally finished making a display shelf for finished models and I wanted to at least post it somewhere.

Now I really need to finish up my backlog of models that just need base rims and matte coats so I can put them on the shelf.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I may never actually put my new necrons on the table, but painting this overlord has been so satisfying.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
As I am now painting him, my spammy update posts about this guy will be in the progress painting thread. Here's where I'm at; the priming and airbrush highlights are down:

One thing that's not apparent except in context...

...is that rather than using my super dark blue-grey as the midtone between the black and the Mecha Color Grey Z, I used Vallejo Model Color German C. Black Brown, so it's a subtly warm black instead of a subtly cool one. This should make his black armor very slightly distinct from the black armor of the rest of the army, and also ought to go better with all the warm off-whites I'm inevitably going to paint all his skulls. I count, uh... five? Helmet face, shoulder bird, rear end bird, and the two hanging from his belt? Not counting the ones that'll be in metal, which would be the left knee, the ones on sides of the gun, the one hanging from the front of the gun, and the crozius.

(The Imperium definitely doesn't further the will of Khorne with its endless wars, no sir.)

Honestly I may end up going over him again and broadening the highlights tomorrow; he doesn't look as bright as my other models, and given how much the all-over wash inevitably darkens them up, I may need to... ugh. Sigh. To quote Kenny Boucher, that most annoying of excellent and irreplaceable teachers, I may have to bring him to eleven before bringing him back to ten.

New quick release with the built-in pressure valve works great, incidentally.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted up a Darkoath Chieftain to add some Slaanesh to my Chaos boys and girls.

Fun fact, he uses all 8 colours of the Citadel Edge Paints(tm)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

richyp posted:

Painted up a Darkoath Chieftain to add some Slaanesh to my Chaos boys and girls.

Fun fact, he uses all 8 colours of the Citadel Edge Paints(tm)
While this dude looks dope as gently caress and is fantastically well executed, I've gotta say I'm not a big fan of the Baharroth Blue metal plates on his shoulder and forearms. I feel like if you did them the same NMM gray as the axe, they wouldn't draw your eye away from the face and the sword so much.

That base turned out great, BTW.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ilor posted:

While this dude looks dope as gently caress and is fantastically well executed, I've gotta say I'm not a big fan of the Baharroth Blue metal plates on his shoulder and forearms. I feel like if you did them the same NMM gray as the axe, they wouldn't draw your eye away from the face and the sword so much.

That base turned out great, BTW.

Wouldn’t the entire point of a Slaaneshi warrior be to draw your attention away from their oncoming axe by their brilliant blue shoulderpad?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

PierreTheMime posted:

Wouldn’t the entire point of a Slaaneshi warrior be to draw your attention away from their oncoming axe by their brilliant blue shoulderpad?
I mean, that or his chiseled, well-oiled abs I guess.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I really enjoyed making and painting these Ash wastes buggies for my local Necromunda campaign.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

What are the base models for those? They're giving me an old school GSC Cult Limo vibe.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Progress report:
Finally got around to painting some cultists and mutant freaks.

One day I will get my lighting right, but it will not be this day. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Zark the Damned posted:

What are the base models for those? They're giving me an old school GSC Cult Limo vibe.

They're some cheap hotrod toys from a toy store (toyworld if you're australian) and they gave me a mad max vibe so I picked them up over xmas. I then added the items from an old vehicle sprue and a few other bits. The key thing I wanted to do was make them fairly identical so they would appear to come from the same source - probably some imperial car yard.