Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I haven't painted anything in months, but in the last couple weeks I recently got the itch again due to the Tanks starter box set. So here's the most recent thing I completed: a couple of WWII US Sherman tanks from the starter box.

And getting back to the spirit of the thread: I recently played some games of Necromunda, and now I'm currently working on painting up some Chaos Cultists for NM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

richyp posted:

Double and cross post

That base is incredibly rad. Great job! :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I believe it's always good to have a few projects on the go; when you feel a bit burned out on one, you can leave it and work on something else for a while. So here's what's on the painting desk at the moment:

Upper right are some Chaos Cultists for Necromunda (with another unpainted batch in the upper left corner there) that are nearly finished; lower left is a WW2 German Panther tank (the one that came in the Tanks boxset) that is still WIP; and just above the Panther are three primed miniatures I'm working on for Rangers of Shadow Deep (the new solo/co-op skirmish game from the guy behind Frostgrave).

E: not shown are some Dollar Tree diecast toy car bodies soaking in some PineSol, for eventual repainting and use in Gaslands.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 19, 2019

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
The Midwest has become Siberia, so at the moment I'm staying inside, finishing up some Chaos Cultists, and experimenting with ground up chalk sticks to add grime and gunk onto their bases.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Inspector_666 posted:

Plastic glue is just super glue, right? I've been using blue tack on the end of BBQ skewers for stuff and it works, but sometimes it's hard to gets things stuck on without accidentally masking sections out.

Just to add on to what richyp said, plastic glue isn't actually a glue; it's a solvent that literally melts plastic. It's used to join two plastic pieces together permanently (short of sawing/cutting it apart). It doesn't work on every kind of plastic, so you can't use it on something like Bones figures or resin/restic figures, but it works just fine on the type of plastic used by GW or your typical scale model kit.

For clear pieces like canopies or headlights, and to add sand/flock to bases, use PVA glue (aka white glue/Elmer's glue). For everything else use super glue.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
While stuck inside during the cold snap, I was rooting around some boxes I found that had a bunch old minis. Mostly they were 40k-related, but I did come across some various fantasy figures (mainly Reaper) I'd bought around 10, maybe even 15 years or so ago (I think). I believe I had the idea at the time to use them as part of an Inquisitorial army back during the period of 40k 3rd/4th edition, by doing conversions and adding purity seals and such, but ultimately never got around to doing anything with 'em. So, since I play Frostgrave and just got the rules for the co-op game (Rangers of Shadow Deep) by Frostgrave's author, I decided to just start painting some up for use in those games.

So yeah, this figure has been sitting around unpainted for a decade plus, until yesterday, and I got into a nice painting groove and knocked him out basically over the course of a day. He's pretty much done apart from some touchups here and there and the final bits of basing; I'm just waiting around for some Army Painter tufts and flock to show up so I can add the final touches.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Started work on another Reaper fantasy figure, this is another one that I had sitting in a box for umpteen years that I never got around to painting.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Did some more work on the Reaper fighter mini the other night.

Also got some decals in last night, so did some more work on the T-34 tank from the FoW Stalingrad box.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
C/P from the minis thread: apart from some touchup work on the rim of the base that needs to be done, I finished up that one Reaper figure that I had unpainted in a box for over a decade. Not my best work, but I figure it's good enough for tabletop quality.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
E: botched something on the T-34 so it's taking a nice bath in some LA's Totally Awesome. Which is kind of a blessing as I wasn't too thrilled with how light the green on the tank turned out.

Also got a start on the next batch of Chaos Cultists for Necromunda. One thing I decided to do here was experiment with painting darker skin tones on a couple of the figures, to add a little diversity to the insane worshippers of Chaos.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Got some little tiny Russians in the mail today, so decided to test out a couple of paint schemes for 'em.