Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
question
This poll is closed.
1 40 42.55%
2 54 57.45%
Total: 66 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit
If you have a basement it will flood. Maybe not today, maybe not next week, maybe not next year even... but someday. Just something to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

GORDON posted:

If you aren't already handy, don't be intimidated by home maintenance tasks. Go to Youtube, and research what you want to do. Buy the tools, and do it.

Next time it won't be a big deal, and you'll already have the tools.

I fixed a leaking toilet with YouTube

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
There was a scent of rotting animal for months so I finally worked up the balls to crawl under the house and looked everywhere. I couldn't find anything but the smell was gone after that.

I think I had a demon.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Make sure you know where the main water shutoff valve is. Depending on how old the house it, it might be BURIED in your front yard somewhere.
Buy a metal detector and go ham on the front yard, you'd be amazed how much jewelry is lost.
Plan on buying a water heater every 8 years at the minimum. Shits so cheaply made these days.
Washer and dryers usually wear out at 5~8 years as well.
Save 20% of your paycheck for the taxes, if you live in a high tax state.
Never join a HOA.
Have a electrician check the wiring for "bodged jobs". You'd be amazed how many people use coffee cans as junction boxes.

and most of all, good luck, oh and plan on getting a new roof, wouldn't have to roof as much if metal roofs were a thing around here, not bitter at all.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Don't start tearing into poo poo, you might not like what you find.

I have a 2nd floor badly sagging and kind of bouncing walking around on it. Took down the drop ceiling then plaster & lath to take a look at what was going on.

Found my floor joists butted sideways into a beam without even one hanger, and the beam supported by nothing at all nothing at all

The previous owners (sometime in the 50's) moved a bearing wall on the 1st floor back 4 feet and extended the joists by essentially butting them into new ones with nails, sandwiching a "beam" in between.

Doesn't help that two of the joists are cracked 1/2 way through at some knots.

Plan is to sister up the cracks, then put in a doubled up LVL where the previous bearing wall lived. Can't be any worse than what I've got now, but honestly I would have been better off doing nothing, then selling as-is to the next guy and running far away.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

I fixed a leaking toilet with YouTube

Youtube is the current Library of Alexandria. Most of human wisdom will be lost if the EMP hits and takes out Youtube.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Don't dick around about pest control or plumbing. Those are the two things by the time the problem is readily apparent, the cost of repair is a zillion times more expensive than hiring competent upkeep maintenance would have been.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Bookmarking this thread so I can come back to it in about 50 years once my student debt is paid off.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It never ends. There's always something else to fix, and if everything is fixed there's something that could do to be replaced.

Also trees loving suck. The leaves and the sticks are bad enough but they're always getting in the way of power lines, or growing into power lines, or have fungus-beetles, or something

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

It never ends. There's always something else to fix, and if everything is fixed there's something that could do to be replaced.

Also trees loving suck. The leaves and the sticks are bad enough but they're always getting in the way of power lines, or growing into power lines, or have fungus-beetles, or something

You haven't lived until theres like 30 year old pine trees randomly growing everywhere.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

You haven't lived until theres like 30 year old pine trees randomly growing everywhere.

A couple years back either a microburst or a little tornado tore a royal palm frond straight off the tree and jammed it through the roof of my garage

It was pretty sweet

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Don't buy a house.

If you've already bought a house, don't renovate it.

Renovation is a huge money-sink and you'll never get that money back out of the house.

On the other hand, deal with plumbing, electrical, pests, and mold asap.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

poisonpill posted:

Don't buy a house.

If you've already bought a house, don't renovate it.

Renovation is a huge money-sink and you'll never get that money back out of the house.

On the other hand, deal with plumbing, electrical, pests, and mold asap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CJ9EDtZ2p8

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GORDON posted:

Youtube is the current Library of Alexandria. Most of human wisdom will be lost if the EMP hits and takes out Youtube.

It's annoying because some text and maybe a simple drawing could communicate the same thing in like a tenth of the time

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Lmao

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

The best advice my father gave me upon buying a house is always pick your own contractor. Don't take recommendations.

This way you're only losing money and time. Not money, time, and friends.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
go ahead and buy a bunch of sharkbite couplings

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I almost bought a house recently, but thought better of it. My electric bill is like $50/month and I don’t pay utilities and rent is low. Maybe if the economy collapsed again I can hopefully get a house cheap at that point.

I assume I’d be broke all the time if I did buy a house.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

do not put your grill next to your plastic siding

you will want more outlets

if you get accredited you can sign off on your own electric wiring

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Don't be afraid to keep a gun in the house.

Or wave it around at your neighbors when they hit your trashcan.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

don't plant anything you don't want to prune

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
-If you have a basement, install a moisture sensor down there. I'm a big fan of Acurite myself.

-Work with the grass you have. Don't be one of those tools that tears up his lawn to lay down sod, or seeds some other grass breed that you'll have to endlessly baby over the years to keep it in place.

-Plant native plants that grow in your area whenever possible. You can generally talk to your local plant/flower seller, and if they're a good one they'll be able to help you in planting native poo poo. And no, I don't mean just stuff that is suited for the climate zone. If you live in a wooded area you can always collect cuttings or whole plants and replant them near your home, assuming they aren't horrible and invasive like a vine or something.

-Get in the habit of doing routine inspections of your attic, basement, crawlspaces, etc. Setup a schedule and put it on your Google calendar or whatever. The more aware you are of your house the earlier you'll catch problems, and the earlier you catch problems the less time and money you'll spend having to fix them.

-Trees are great, but be smart how you plant them. Try to get an idea of where any wiring or pipework is run before you plant, and obviously don't plant anything massive near powerlines.

-The next time you have a really heavy rain, pay attention to how water builds up around your home. Take note of flood points in your yard and especially the spots that are house adjacent; in the coming years those spots will likely be where leaks enter your residence. If you have bad flood buildup, investigate the installation of a drainage field, or any of the other applicable ways you might divert water from your house.

-If you're into horticulture (like me), explore water reclamation options. Rain barrels are a great option if you aren't in a dry zone.

-Your biggest gas and electric savings will likely be in proper insulation. Pay the money to have someone do a test at your home to find the spots where your home leaks out cold/hot air and plug them up however you can.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 3, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nerses IV posted:

Take care of your chainsaw/weedeater/mower/pressure washer/generator and don't let them sit there full of pump gas for months because my god there is nothing more infuriating than yanking a pull cord and the motherfucker just. Refuses. To loving start.

Also buy good ones, not home depot poo poo

I used to work at a place that built gas powered water pumps and by God the Honda GX series small engines are better than any car they've ever made. I personally bench tested ~3,000 units over 4 years and gently caress if every single one didn't start on the first pull.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

13Pandora13 posted:

Don't dick around about pest control or plumbing. Those are the two things by the time the problem is readily apparent, the cost of repair is a zillion times more expensive than hiring competent upkeep maintenance would have been.

A million times this, also check your breaker panel and if you see anything made by Zinsco or Federal Pacific have it all replaced tomorrow.

FedPac breakers are so poo poo most insurers won't even cover houses that have them.

Get the wrenches to turn your water and gas off at the meter, you WILL need them.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

shame on an IGA posted:

I used to work at a place that built gas powered water pumps and by God the Honda GX series small engines are better than any car they've ever made. I personally bench tested ~3,000 units over 4 years and gently caress if every single one didn't start on the first pull.

Can confirm, Honda mowers are the poo poo. I left one out in the rain for an entire year once and it kicked right on the following spring.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Can confirm, Honda mowers are the poo poo. I left one out in the rain for an entire year once and it kicked right on the following spring.

wtf why

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

It was parked directly in the gap between the fence and the shed so I couldn't see it and I forgot about it after the last mow in October of that year.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Figure out if the neighbors are crazy before you buy.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
let the hate flow freely your neighbours all suck. Hire terminx or orkin or something that sprays quaterly but make sure they agree to come out and spray for free between those visits if you see bugs / mice / what ever. then lie and say you saw a roach get a spray every month.

Make sure theres no ugly trees on your neighbours yard that hang into yours because when you cut that branch tree law lawyers will bend you over for thousands of dollars.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you simply squat in an abandoned house, you can combine the joy of owning your own home and the freedom of not paying for mortgage/utilities.

Heck the house doesn't even have to be abandoned, you can always murder the owners :wink:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao the OP bought a loving house at the top of the market

buy some SCUBA gear because you are going to be underwater soon

god bles

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Who What Now posted:

Yes, this. I have a neighbor with a huge oak that dumps a poo poo ton of leaves on me every fall and covers so much of my back yard in shade that i can't grow a proper garden back there. :mad:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you gather the leaves and pile them up three years later you will have been gifted excellent compost!

alternatively if you have a lawn mower with a bag attachment just run over the leaves it will gather and mulch them up and they will be ready in a year

oak leaves are particularly good for this

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think this thread scared me out of homeownership more.

Like I get bothered enough when I have to replace the smoke alarm batteries in my apartment. I think I’d rather just pay the extra in rent so I get everything else inspected/repaired/replaced by calling the rental office.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

buglord posted:

Like I get bothered enough when I have to replace the smoke alarm batteries in my apartment. I think I’d rather just pay the extra in rent so I get everything else inspected/repaired/replaced by calling the rental office.

It's not so bad as long as you understand that home ownership profitability is a myth and in most cases you'll be lucky to break even unless you're in some wacky area with enormous property value inflation. It's nice being able to do poo poo with your place without restrictions, or having to report to a landlord. Just don't get more house than you need.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018

buglord posted:

If you go new construction you might be able to avoid more of the maintenance headache for a little while. But yes, imagine home ownership as taking up a second job as a property manager. It is a lifestyle.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I spent a small fortune last year to get all of my ancient electrical wiring updated and replaced and my bathrooms remodeled and now this year my plumbing is hosed and will like require ripping out the tile I just put in the bathroom. I should’ve just embraced living in squalor.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Big Data posted:

If you go new construction you might be able to avoid more of the maintenance headache for a little while. But yes, imagine home ownership as taking up a second job as a property manager. It is a lifestyle.

But then you gotta watch out cause just because its new doesn't mean its good. Once saw a bunch of million dollar homes using cheap rear end PVC piping for all their plumbing and other short cuts and hiding it behind a nice layout.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Every time you think you're safe from a big project, the universe will remind you that you're hosed.

I absolutely love owning a house and would not change that, but in the last 18 months I've had to get a new furnace, siding, roof, gutters, and remove 5 different trees that had either fallen or were in danger of falling.

Have really good home insurance for when these things happen. I had a pretty lovely and cheap policy up until a few months ago, made the switch, and thankfully my new insurance was way easier to deal with when we had to get the roof replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just replaced all the siding, poolcage repaired/rescreened, pool deck levelled off and painted, pool itself drained, scrubbed, painted, and a new pump/chlorinator setup

Looks great! I miss having money, though