Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So, uh, what the hell is going on in Italy and how bad is it likely to get? Like, just in general, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Char posted:

I don't think I have answered your question, but I think I've outlined better the frames of which "bad" could go "worse".

No, that actually answers my question pretty well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Italy almost got your own nukes in the '60s in cooperation with the US Navy (a couple cruisers were built to carry the Polaris ballistic missile and there were plans for a domestically-produced variant called Alfa in the early '70s), but it's just as well you didn't because I'd hate to think of Berlusconi having nukes.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 22, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
VEGA didn't start development until the late 90s, twenty years after the ALFA project was killed off by the Non-Proliferation Treaty. From the minimal research I've done I don't think there was much technology transfer between the two except on the most basic "we know how to build a big solid fuel rocket" level.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Char posted:

05/13:
a Vatican high ranking priest turns back on the power distribution of a poor housing complex (that's houses built for poor families, basically), hijinks ensue as the power distribution was off due to a 330K€ unpaid bill;

I kinda want to hear more about this absolute clusterfuck. Who hadn't paid their bills and why was dude from the Vatican able to turn the lights back on? Is the priest even the good guy in this situation?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Now I'm picturing the Cardinal wearing full ecclesiastical regalia and carrying a tool box, which pleases me to no end.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bloody hell that sounds like an incoming clusterfuck to beat all clusterfucks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SlowBloke posted:

We expect it to be repelled by EU and are now expediting every tender to be done before end of June so we don't fall under the new rules.

Oh, I'm sure, that's the only sensible response. I've studied late 19th/early 20th century government contracting (albeit not in Italy, no parlo Italiano) for my work and reading your description of events made my eye twitch. Like there's ways to mitigate regulation without just opening the floodgates of allocating contracts to your sketchy cousin who knows a guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Thinking of making pasta tonight to celebrate.