Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Any of the Lega politicians fancy themselves as a D'Annunzio and marching on Rijeka? There's bound to be some irredentism amongst them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

It wasn't meant to be a "zinger", it was a genuine question. I've visited Istria and the wider area a few times and know about the Italian population (mostly) leaving Yugoslavia for the Trieste region up to the 1950's and the chasm between the esuli(?) and rimasti(?).

As far as I know (and there aren't a great number of English Language sources) the foibe massacres were undertaken by whoever had the upper hand in the WW2 fighting, so as well as the Italian population suffering from it particularly towards the end of the war, similar massacres were made earlier of those Slovenes/Croats regarded as anti-fascist.

I was in Slovenia a couple of weeks ago and one of the labels on a (weirdly named Combat Wombat) local beer talked about returning Trieste and Klagenfurt to the "motherland".

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Thank you for answering. I genuinely apologise if I caused offence with the way I asked the question originally, it was not my intention. I'm still interested of whether there is an irredentist movement within what is now mainstream Italian politics or if it is more of a regional thing around Trieste.

Separately, would a Slovene beer talking about the 'return' of Trieste and Klagenfurt really be referring to A-H? I honestly took it to refer to the furthest points reached by Yugoslav Partisans before they were told to shift back by the western allies? If it was for A-H then surely Klagenfurt was a part of it anyway?

I would take issue with the claim that the fascists always kept a nice tally of who they killed. Ustase Croatia didn't seem to be that sort of place and they were calling the shots for a lot of that region during the WW2 period.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Austria wasn't a Yugoslav enemy after WW2 so i'd guess the reference to Klagenfurt is more likely to be A-H than Tito's crew. There is a reverse irredentism movement in Trieste called TLT (Territorio Libero di Trieste) which wants the town to become a semicolony of the allied forces(USA/UK) like it was shorty after the Paris accords rather than a district of Italy but AFAIK nobody in the balkans wants to go back/become Italy territory(they are more than happy to splinter into city sized countries as they do now instead of joining another country). The Lega is not irredentism(make a occupied zone with a unified identity back to their homeland) but a racist way to acquire more money(remove or minimize south improvement funding) and government positions(move or duplicate offices to the north/Veneto), there is no way in hell a independant Veneto would last more than a month and they know it. Now that they moved from CHUDs (veneto idiots that believe that the foreigners/southeners are the source of their issues) to general racism they acquired enough votes to be relevant instead of a percentage booster like they did in the Berlusconi days.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

For anyone interested in the history of the area who is restricted to English Language publications I recommend History in Exile : Memory and Identity at the borders of the Balkans by Pamela Ballinger.