Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mortons stork posted:

It's a result of Catholic heritage I think. We Italians love our religious-themed swear, much like the Quebecois. But while the Quebecois take it out on the imagery and the rituals, we like to go directly for the religious figures. I just did that in my last post actually, calling god a pig, that's your bog standard porco dio, which my friends from Veneto like to use extremely frequently in the middle of a sentence, just to take up some dead air. There are endless possible variations, though, you can target any sort of figure (eg Mary, Joseph, the Evangelists) and any sort of attribute (up to and including clothing). Bonus points if you can fit it all in one sentence.

It's way more common in the North, it's a good way to get yourself shunned in the South.

IIRC they actually worked that swearing pattern into the HBO Rome series, just with the old Roman gods instead of the Christian God and saints, stuff like "Juno's oval office" and "Vulcan's cock" off the top of my head. I'm not like totally sure it comes from Catholicism, I'm not sure if the French (in contrast to the Quebecois) are so big on religiously-themed swearing, though I could be remembering that one wrong, neither are the Spanish really (they go heavily into mothers and whores and that kind of stuff). Meanwhile in Protestant (and now largely non-religious, at least actively) Norway pretty much all our swearing is built up around the devil and hell ("jævel", "faen", "helvete") used as verbs, subjects, adjectives, what have you. That said Evangelical Christianity used to be pretty big over here, and relative to Sweden and Denmark kind of still is (though Swedes at least swear pretty mcuh exactly the same way).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU