Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Char posted:

[...]

You see, as I said in the EU thread, something that is really hard to grasp regarding Italy is that, unlike most unifications in history, ours wasn't a wholly felt need. Even nowadays, Giuseppe Garibaldi, the mastermind behind the military campaign that made it possible to unify Italy, is less revered than Mussolini, for instance. Let me phrase it differently: if you ask a random Italian this specific question, "did the efforts of Garibaldi make Italy a better place", he'll probably have to think about the answer. And maybe he won't answer at all.

After the fragmentation of the Roman Empire, 1400 years of competition, rivarly or mild warfare between neighbouring cities created strong boundaries in our culture: the result is that the average Italian mind has, in my opinion, a more stratified perception of ingroups and outgroups than the average western.

[...]

This is perhaps a seed of an explanation, but I think it falls a bit short as Germany had a very similar history to Italy yet still ended up with a more or less unified identity.

IIRC after the Congress Italy apart from the papal states was divided into three states (Sardinia-Piemont, Two Sicilies and one I can't seem to recall) plus the Veneto region which was under Austrian control. Were these 4 parts were roughly equal in terms of population and economic power? In Germany, Prussia was incredibly dominant and so could push its own cultural identity onto the different part of the empire. Something to that effect would haven been more difficult in Italy, I guess. If those entities even had their own particular identities in the first place. Some of them were pretty much existed due to the whims of the Congress, though Two Sicilies at least had existed in some form or another for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Char posted:

[...]
3- What happened? The newspapers say the cardinal simply asked where the power distribution system was, then he opened a hatch, he climbed down a well, then forced open the locks to the power switches, turned everything on, and finally left a calling card. I think it was a business card, but this is not clear. In further interviews, the cardinal basically gave the middle finger to Salvini and forced his hand in telling the Municipality that this situation has to be solved - the legal hijinks mentioned at point 1.
[...]

Is there no proper lock on these things or did he use the super strength I assume all cardinals have?