Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

And people who don't flush the toilets to save water costs.

A friend in college made a comment about "if it's yellow, let it mellow" so for years I never flushed my pee at his house which I thought was weird but whatever. He was on septic out in the sticks so who knows

One night he asks me candidly why I never flush and we are both just horrified that his stoned joke one night was misunderstood and taken to heart :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

many places do not in fact have any kind of restrictions on water use because fresh water is abundant in much of the world

like yes I could save some water in New England by not letting the shower warm up but... what is the point exactly

I understand this intellectually but as an Australian the concept will never seem quite right in my heart. Water is a precious resource!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Organza Quiz posted:

I understand this intellectually but as an Australian the concept will never seem quite right in my heart. Water is a precious resource!

My local water district has a program encouraging rain barrel use so I looked into putting one in and estimated that it would cost $150 in materials, half a Saturday of time, and hold 11 cents worth of water when full.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What goes into a "rain barrel", beyond a $20 PVC barrel and sawzalling off the bottom half of a downspout?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the barrel is nicer-looking, the pvc textured and painted, and it costs $130

there may also be a filter somewhere for leaves

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Volmarias posted:

If you have your own home, and you're willing / able to renovate, Bathtubs That Fit Tall Persons do exist, although they're not common. I had one for several glorious days in a hotel once, and some day I hope to again.

Man, I thought the tub in this house was way bigger than normal, but I *still* can't get my legs under water without sitting all the way up. Disappointment.

Gotta normalize a quick pop in the tub to trial it out during the house hunt.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Baddog posted:

Man, I thought the tub in this house was way bigger than normal, but I *still* can't get my legs under water without sitting all the way up. Disappointment.

Gotta normalize a quick pop in the tub to trial it out during the house hunt.

As we all know from Pat Finnerty, all you have to do is fold up. Or buy a hot tub that goes in your garage.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am the mutant who had to stand in showers when looking at houses to see if I fit. There was more than one master bath that had a horribly small shower that would have been miserable for me to use for any significant duration. I didn’t even bother with tubs.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Orvin posted:

I am the mutant who had to stand in showers when looking at houses to see if I fit. There was more than one master bath that had a horribly small shower that would have been miserable for me to use for any significant duration. I didn’t even bother with tubs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Organza Quiz posted:

I bet if you looked at the numbers, residential water use in Australia is fairly trivial.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ham Equity posted:

I bet if you looked at the numbers, residential water use in Australia is fairly trivial.

I'm sure almond farmers : personal water conservation :: trans-Atlantic shipping vessels : personal energy saving.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Jabor posted:

What goes into a "rain barrel", beyond a $20 PVC barrel and sawzalling off the bottom half of a downspout?

empty dumb question but how is this not a mosquito farm, like immediately

Boris Galerkin posted:

That show is called Extreme Cheapskates. It's about people going to extremes to save a dollar. There are "normal" stuff like people taking leftovers home to eat, and "wtf" stuff like people walking up to complete strangers who look like they're waiting for their leftovers to be cleared and asking them if they could take it home. And people who don't flush the toilets to save water costs. That woman in the video makes her husband turn off the electricity every time there's a commercial break, when they've got 20+ people at their get together.

E: there's an episode where the non frugal person in the relationship got chided for swiping the deodorant under each arm two times or whatever. They were only allowed one swipe per arm. I must have seen it 10 years ago I feel like but that scene lives rent free in my head still.

Should have just been called First-Generation Immigrants: The Show
Growing up I always marveled at American homes where the lights were always on in multiple rooms, it always looked so warm and inviting. Our house was pitch black except for whatever room was directly occupied. Failure to comply would result in physical beatings. God forbid you leave a light on before leaving the house, lol
My grandma used to dry paper towels to reuse them, which is what I thought was the norm until I started hanging out at other kids' house. But hey, it's all good, 30 years later and many therapy sessions I now happily throw away my paper towels

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

I'm sure almond farmers : personal water conservation :: trans-Atlantic shipping vessels : personal energy saving.

amortized over the sheer amount of poo poo they ship, no. but if you consider why theres so much poo poo to ship...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

adnam posted:

Should have just been called First-Generation Immigrants: The Show
Growing up I always marveled at American homes where the lights were always on in multiple rooms, it always looked so warm and inviting. Our house was pitch black except for whatever room was directly occupied. Failure to comply would result in physical beatings. God forbid you leave a light on before leaving the house, lol
My grandma used to dry paper towels to reuse them, which is what I thought was the norm until I started hanging out at other kids' house. But hey, it's all good, 30 years later and many therapy sessions I now happily throw away my paper towels

No you don't understand. The people in the show didn't just turn the lights out in rooms they weren't in. They turned the lights out during thanksgiving dinner because you don't need lights to eat. And they cooked the food in the dishwasher to double up on cleaning and cooking. And nobody in the entire family was allowed to flush the toilet unless they pooped.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

adnam posted:

They are, but you just throw a mosquito dunk into it once a month and it's fine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Boris Galerkin posted:

No you don't understand. The people in the show didn't just turn the lights out in rooms they weren't in. They turned the lights out during thanksgiving dinner because you don't need lights to eat. And they cooked the food in the dishwasher to double up on cleaning and cooking. And nobody in the entire family was allowed to flush the toilet unless they pooped.

Cooking food in the dishwasher while you're also washing dishes in there feels like a good way to guarantee that everyone's going to need to poop more often

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

YggiDee posted:

anyone who wants to go to Disney should be made to watch this before they decide to buy a fast pass or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE

Sorry for the necro
My kids were watching this and I told them it's why we're not going to Disney. I'm not fuckin min Maxing the fast pass process and looking at the policy and f5 ing the whole process like it's a black Friday price mistake just to pay 1000s to ride 8 cool rides.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Jokes on you: none of the rides are particularly cool

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Jabor posted:

Nothing if you don't care how it looks or how annoying it is to use, except good luck finding a barrel for less than $80. Then add an enclosure and paint and a hose and booster pump.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Scratch Monkey posted:

Jokes on you: none of the rides are particularly cool
Tower of Terror is pretty awesome.

adnam posted:

All the openings are covered with screens that the mosquitoes can't fit through.

Our city offers discounted rain barrels but we have a ton of water at pretty cheap rates so yeah it's mostly a feel-good thing than a practical benefit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Get in the habit now so when the water wars begin on the west coast in the 2050s you're ready to go.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: there's an episode where the non frugal person in the relationship got chided for swiping the deodorant under each arm two times or whatever. They were only allowed one swipe per arm. I must have seen it 10 years ago I feel like but that scene lives rent free in my head still.

I try to limit myself to two per arm but sometimes I like to treat myself to three or four swipes.

You know in that situation that person is hiding a stick at work or in the car and swiping as many times as they want at least that's what I would loving do.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

adnam posted:

If you can guarantee your rain barrel will always have a certain amount of water in it, you stock it with fish that eat mosquito larvae.

If not, you chuck insecticide in there whenever you start getting bitten and remember that's a thing you're supposed to do.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
With a toilet costing a nickel per flush on the west coast and a 5 min shower blowing past a dollar, I get wanting to save the water. Spend long enough paying $8.55 per ccf and $0.53 per kWh and you'll go into frugal mode too. :v:

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Boris Galerkin posted:

haha I really need to watch this now. That's insane.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sundae posted:

With a toilet costing a nickel per flush on the west coast and a 5 min shower blowing past a dollar, I get wanting to save the water. Spend long enough paying $8.55 per ccf and $0.53 per kWh and you'll go into frugal mode too. :v:

Got drat! Here on the water lands of the Great lakes my water and sewer is like 95-110 a quarter for essentially a 3 person family with laundry and the like all done in home.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

As we all know from Pat Finnerty, all you have to do is fold up. Or buy a hot tub that goes in your garage.

(speaking into a dictaphone) Idea: a bath that folds down, like those beds in 1930s 'zany hotel' comedies.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Got drat! Here on the water lands of the Great lakes my water and sewer is like 95-110 a quarter for essentially a 3 person family with laundry and the like all done in home.

I was off by a dollar, actually. $7.55, not $8.55 per CCF. A low-flow toilet will run you about 2 cents, not a nickel; my mistake. :)

But yeah, the billing rates on this side of the country are just crazy compared to when I was back in New England.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Sundae posted:

I was off by a dollar, actually. $7.55, not $8.55 per CCF. A low-flow toilet will run you about 2 cents, not a nickel; my mistake. :)

But yeah, the billing rates on this side of the country are just crazy compared to when I was back in New England.

That's a California thing not a West Coast thing. Seattle area $2.10/CCF and $0.11/kWh.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Cerekk posted:

That's a California thing not a West Coast thing. Seattle area $2.10/CCF and $0.11/kWh.

Seattle itself is $5.76/ccf off peak and then it’s tiered May 16- Sept. 15. Sewer is where they get you anyway.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

dont watch the show. it's all probably made up.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My wife sometimes watches terrible reality shows and there's one she likes called "Buying Alaska". It's sometimes hilarious because it's main gimmick is people like "I hate everyone I hate all people I just want to be in the great open wilds" and then they get excited about finding a house whose main selling point is an indoor flush toilet.

Anyway one episode this couple bought a house except it had no water. No city water no well nothing, everything had to be trucked in. The said the price of the water delivery was $.05/gallon and I almost died. In that situation I think a rain barrel and grey water system is actually justified. Except these were random boomers from like Indiana who just "liked fishing" so I assume they died shortly after moving in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Getting a well put in isn't cheap but it's not THAT expensive. Most of the reasons you wouldn't be able to put in a well are related to other reasons you would not want that property (environmental contamination etc)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Baddog posted:

Gotta normalize a quick poop in the tub to trial it out during the house hunt.

Fixed with a better suggestion.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spincube posted:

(speaking into a dictaphone) Idea: a bath that folds down, like those beds in 1930s 'zany hotel' comedies.

Murphy beds, those still exist.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

tumblr hype man posted:

Sewer is where they get you anyway.

Yep, my sewer costs are almost $100/month.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Under water on my car loan

quote:

Hi all,

I own a 2014 Mercedes S Class that I financed a few years ago for $25,000. Now, after a few fender benders, the car is valued at $3,000. I know the deal I got was a terrible one, so before anyone comments on that, I'm already aware. I still owe the lender $20,000, and my monthly expenses for maintenance, finance charges, and premium gas are taking up 90% of my earnings. I'm still in college and can't afford to keep things going this way. I can't sell the car because I would still owe a significant amount on it. Any advice on what I can do to get out of this?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah the asserted fact pattern is so wildly unrealistic that that one is transparently fiction.

Just picking the two most obvious lols, no Mercedes S class is worth that little if it runs at all--and might be worth more than $3K just to strip for parts even if it doesn't--and a broke-rear end college student isn't getting a $25,000 car loan without his parents co-signing.

Like 98% of reddit posts are fiction, and I don't mind a little kayfabe, but this one's not even got any effort put into it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 20, 2024

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Eh, it rings more true to me because my brother’s friend did the same thing in college. He had bought an older Audi A8 and had to sell it at a huge loss when he learned after a year of ownership that some necessary service was $5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah the asserted fact pattern is so wildly unrealistic that that one is transparently fiction.

Just picking the two most obvious lols, no Mercedes S class is worth that little if it runs at all--and might be worth more than $3K just to strip for parts even if it doesn't--and a broke-rear end college student isn't getting a $25,000 car loan without his parents co-signing.

Like 98% of reddit posts are fiction, and I don't mind a little kayfabe, but this one's not even got any effort put into it.

I agree that this is probably fiction, but to devil's advocate a bit I'll note that they say they financed for $25k. If it's a buy here pay here lot with usurious rates I could easily see some idiot college kid getting a "nice" car and the dealership being willing to extend them that kind of credit, as their entire business model is extending credit to people who can't get it through normal means and then making money off the loan until they repro and sell it to the next sucker.

edit: point being those dealerships also really over value their junk cars. A $15k car at a normal used lot could easily be a $25k one after a detailing at one of those BHPH places.