Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

I agree that for me going back to the past and lore and stuff like these guys Snyder, Hickman etc always do is a pet peeve. The retcons and extra nutty stuff, sometimes there's an elegance in simplicity for sure.

That said, on Joker's characterization, I do think there's a bit more to him as a villain than that. And even going back to 70s stuff, the guy has often been pretty scary, and I don't always think finding stuff funny is his sole motivation. He often has quite a sourpuss on at times even in classic comics.

I personally also really like the take on Killing Joke, so I think that's the Joker in my headcanon. So I guess a maniac who does ponder things a little bit, I dunno, I'm not the writer here, not sure how to keep Joker fresh for the next 100 years. But I think stuff like him being bored or dejected or trying different things etc seems interesting for example.

Oh I agree. I think he can be more than just like a clown who robs banks. But I think the real problem is that for the last 15 years ago if not longer, every story writers seem to want to tell is one where he's some hyper-competent force of chaos and every time it gets worse and worse.

And I just realized while typing this that Zdarsky has essentially finally hit the natural endpoint by giving him Batman's training, he's recreated the goddamn Batman Who Laughs.

edit: oof what a lovely way to start a page. Uhhh... yeah Batman & Robin is 1000% the better Batman book and people should read it

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I do like how it shows that, yeah, he is absolutely freaking out and not entirely sure what the hell even is going on, and the maniacal laughter and homicidal urges aren't yet something he embraces but more of a sudden episode.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I can see how hanging out with Batman might give you some ideas for the necessity of a two parent household for a psychologically healthy child.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Goddamn she should've punched Tim through the phone.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:hmmyes:

I was pretty hopeful for this Aaron run, but so far it has been a big disappointment. Bizarro is one of my favorite DC characters but I much prefer the fun humor based take vs the edgy mean spirited take. Classic Deadpool "OK, this is my serious arc" mistake.

Batman Off-world is still solid at least.

???

Every good Deadpool run has had a serious arc or two. The worst are the ones that try to be non-stop comedy and nothing matters or sticks in any way.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So is Stephanie Brown having a kid she gave up for adoption still meaningfully canon (I say meaningfully because yeah DC continuity is probably the messiest it’s ever been right now)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

So is Stephanie Brown having a kid she gave up for adoption still meaningfully canon (I say meaningfully because yeah DC continuity is probably the messiest it’s ever been right now)

It has not been mentioned since basically it happened. Nobody seems keen to go back to the 'hey, remember when Steph was teen pregnant' well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blockhouse posted:

???

Every good Deadpool run has had a serious arc or two. The worst are the ones that try to be non-stop comedy and nothing matters or sticks in any way.

I love seeing Deadpool and thinking, yep there goes the serial killer for money who is also a deadbeat dad.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Punisher having a "there's nothing funny about you, you're an immortal, amoral murder machine" hate boner for Deadpool, who actually likes Punisher, is always a winning gag.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

It has not been mentioned since basically it happened. Nobody seems keen to go back to the 'hey, remember when Steph was teen pregnant' well.

Also, and I probably know the answer seeing as it was Dixon, but I presume the A word was never even treated like a real option?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Also, and I probably know the answer seeing as it was Dixon, but I presume the A word was never even treated like a real option?

I mean, even if it was a writer who donates half their pay check to Planned Parenthood, I doubt editorial would ever let them do that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
was the pregnancy one of those things that got soft retconned after rebirth or whatever was the next reboot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

was the pregnancy one of those things that got soft retconned after rebirth or whatever was the next reboot

Yeah, I don't think it was ever mentioned and Stephanie Brown didn't exist for a long time when New 52 started. Did she even appear at all before Rebirth?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Stephanie was well known as the Robin who died in War Crimes. Except she didn't die but Leslie Thompson wanted to take her death to teach Batman a lesson. Or some such bullshit. Anyway she totally maybe died in a terrible crossover event

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I believe his intention was to present adoption as a valid choice for an unwanted pregnancy which on the surface of things would have been fine if we didn't know all we know about Chuck D now but we do know.

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I don't think it was ever mentioned and Stephanie Brown didn't exist for a long time when New 52 started. Did she even appear at all before Rebirth?

It's just been completely dropped. And yeah, Steph and Cass both were persona non grata under DiDio's regime who thought Robins were fine but multiple Batgirls? Heavens, no. Scott Snyder had to get super over before finally bringing them back in Batman Eternal I think.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hello children

My wife has been reading a lot of comics recently and I want to provide some good recommendations. I feel pretty comfortable with Superman and Batman but I cannot for the life of me think of a good entry level Green Lantern comic.

Like, for Superman we have rear end obviously, for Batman we have loads of stuff, but I can't think of a GL comic that doesn't have a million years of lore behind it. Is there one?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hello children

My wife has been reading a lot of comics recently and I want to provide some good recommendations. I feel pretty comfortable with Superman and Batman but I cannot for the life of me think of a good entry level Green Lantern comic.

Like, for Superman we have rear end obviously, for Batman we have loads of stuff, but I can't think of a GL comic that doesn't have a million years of lore behind it. Is there one?

Far Sector. You don't need any decades worth of knowledge for it. Original GL doing space cop thing on a planet.

Far Sector https://a.co/d/078EPmU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I read the Nightwing where Damien is a cat and liked it well enough, is Beast World worth reading, I was going to just wait it out and pick up on Titans again afterwards. I'm on DC Unlimited so I'm not worried about the cost of picking up tie-ins.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think it's over now, it was okay.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Titans issues were fine. I didn't read any of the tie ins. You can probably stick to just Titans, the Titans mini, and Nightwing and get most of the story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The tie ins are very ymmv in terms of quality with the Central City one I think being one of the better ones just due to having a continuous narrative holing it together rather than a pile of stand alone stories

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It really is a shame Dixon has lovely politics that get worse as time goes on. The guy cpuld write a decent action scene and story. He is also behind Nightwing joining the police force.

Edit: the Cassandra cain being a chatter box until her face reveal issue is very odd too. She reads like she was supposed to be Stephanie Brown aka the Spoiler at first. Batman evens knows who she is until he is needed to not know. Oracle knows to for a couple of issues.

Very bizarre

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 18, 2024

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: the Cassandra cain being a chatter box until her face reveal issue is very odd too. She reads like she was supposed to be Stephanie Brown aka the Spoiler at first. Batman evens knows who she is until he is needed to not know. Oracle knows to for a couple of issues.

Very bizarre

Are you sure you're not confusing Cass with Helena Bertinelli who briefly wore her costume before getting fired in No Man's Land? Because I legitimately have no idea what you're talking about otherwise.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing Cass with Helena Bertinelli who briefly wore her costume before getting fired in No Man's Land? Because I legitimately have no idea what you're talking about otherwise.

It appears Helena being explained as Batgirl before Cass is explained in no man's land #0 which I haven't read yet due to that issue being later in the publishing order.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Superman continues to be a fun title, I hope it keeps up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

I read the Nightwing where Damien is a cat and liked it well enough, is Beast World worth reading, I was going to just wait it out and pick up on Titans again afterwards. I'm on DC Unlimited so I'm not worried about the cost of picking up tie-ins.

Beast World feels like extra issues of Titans so you should probably check it out

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I have liked the Zdarsky run a lot so far but uhhhh I found Joker Year 1 to be really confusing and pointless?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I think Zdarsky's run has been really bad and I hate that he's dragging his Zur storyline out until the end of time. I never thought I would say that I'm extremely tired of the Batman of Zur-en-arrh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i tried to put a positive spin on it for as long as i could. but nah, it's a total dud.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I can't tell if I disliked Batman or Catwoman more this week, and that is a pretty big red flag.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I have liked the Zdarsky run a lot so far but uhhhh I found Joker Year 1 to be really confusing and pointless?

Yeah I don't get the point of the story.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
For me it feels like Zdarsky is trying to one up Morrison which feels strange because it feels more like fanfic of Morrison's run than anything else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I can't tell if I disliked Batman or Catwoman more this week, and that is a pretty big red flag.

Books or characters? Because I've been enjoying this whole 9 Lives of Catwoman arc so far (DC infinite reader so 1 mth behind)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Books or characters? Because I've been enjoying this whole 9 Lives of Catwoman arc so far (DC infinite reader so 1 mth behind)

Oh, just the last few issues of each. Both titles have been mostly fine, but just real stinkers lately.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I just don't care about whatever Joker's backstory would be, it's fine having him be a weird mystery or a reaction of Batman appearing.

The art is weird, reminds me of old Dredd comics. I don't know if I like it or not.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The backup in this week's Wonder Woman actually infuriates me because it shows King can write good and fun banter but A. he does it by sometimes shaving characters into molds meant for that banter that doesn't quite fit and B. he seems to prefer the flowery prose he has in the front part of Wonder Woman and it's just so tiring because despite it being Wonder Woman, I think the King of America has talked just as much as she has through the entire arc.

World's Finest is still fantastic.

Superman still solid. Same with Nightwing. Titans kinda hokey but we'll see where it goes. Catwoman's fine too, but the covers definitely border on cheesecake which is a bit at odds with the current writing in it.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

World's finest just finished an arc about Kingdom Come, the years before the Joker got stabbed

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
how much of waller's team from the end of dark crisis been revealed or expanded upon at this point? not sure if i've seen anyone other than peacemaker & peacewrecker at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Ramona Fradon has passed away.

https://twitter.com/f_francavilla/status/1761534603393659289?s=46