Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Superman and The Authority - fun book. I enjoyed watching supes take on a commander role. Beyond that, seeing manchester black again after not having done so since "What's so funny about truth, justice and the american way?" was great. A true english rear end in a top hat who would give constantine a run for his money.

also, nat fighting an out of control chatGPT was amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Look up Morrison's plan for the book. The villain was going to be another Superman, and lead to another mini where leftie Superman fights a fascist Superman.

Superman and the Authority only exists because Grant was sick of DC making alternate universe and future Supermen into fascist dickheads.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I liked Supe's design in that run.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Open Marriage Night posted:

Look up Morrison's plan for the book. The villain was going to be another Superman, and lead to another mini where leftie Superman fights a fascist Superman.

Superman and the Authority only exists because Grant was sick of DC making alternate universe and future Supermen into fascist dickheads.

Oh wow. I'll have to check out Morrison's substack then, thanks!

Azubah posted:

I liked Supe's design in that run.

Yep. Even the gloves were pretty cool and fitting considering he's depowering and thus becoming more human. Suddenly gloves are pretty useful things!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Alan Scott Green Lantern has been such a great book. I'm honestly surprised that it continues to move me so much, issue by issue, because the actual plot is technically just the good ol' emotional spectrum concept that we've seen many times by now, merely appended to the Starheart this time. Well, I should say, it would be the old stuff we've seen, except if Hal and Sinestro were fully, actually gay for each other instead of just ersatz gay. Diet gay, if you will. Half-assing the gay

Amazons Attack ended okayishly. I think the book is ultimately neutered a bit by its sheer lack of ramifications to....well, anything at all...despite the fact that this all should feel more consequential. As it stands, we get a very pretty standard final issue villain monologue infodumping about vengeance and betrayal or whatever, and then the heroes monologue right back at her about hope and light and stuff, and then everyone stood up and clapped. The Amazons are exonerated...except they're definitely still not exonerated, because no way in hell King references any of this whatsoever in the main book.

At least the villain origin was pretty interesting; women who fight against their own liberation movements isn't a topic that comes up too often in these books, which is actually kind of ironic considering that William Marston used to be very occupied with that exact archetype of character. That being said, I'm a little confused why they kept having the villain say that she was Hestia's champion. It was brought up like three times. Is this supposed to be Asylum misunderstanding the gods entirely? Or does Josie Campbell believe that Hestia is the patron goddess of tradwives or something? Who knows, 'cuz the chances of this character ever getting brought up again are unfortunately pretty slim.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Superman and the Authority is wild because it is clearly out of continuity, then it just is when Action Comics just followed up on it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Superman and the Authority is wild because it is clearly out of continuity, then it just is when Action Comics just followed up on it.

Everything Matters

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Alan Scott Green Lantern has been such a great book. I'm honestly surprised that it continues to move me so much, issue by issue, because the actual plot is technically just the good ol' emotional spectrum concept that we've seen many times by now, merely appended to the Starheart this time. Well, I should say, it would be the old stuff we've seen, except if Hal and Sinestro were fully, actually gay for each other instead of just ersatz gay. Diet gay, if you will. Half-assing the gay

Amazons Attack ended okayishly. I think the book is ultimately neutered a bit by its sheer lack of ramifications to....well, anything at all...despite the fact that this all should feel more consequential. As it stands, we get a very pretty standard final issue villain monologue infodumping about vengeance and betrayal or whatever, and then the heroes monologue right back at her about hope and light and stuff, and then everyone stood up and clapped. The Amazons are exonerated...except they're definitely still not exonerated, because no way in hell King references any of this whatsoever in the main book.

At least the villain origin was pretty interesting; women who fight against their own liberation movements isn't a topic that comes up too often in these books, which is actually kind of ironic considering that William Marston used to be very occupied with that exact archetype of character. That being said, I'm a little confused why they kept having the villain say that she was Hestia's champion. It was brought up like three times. Is this supposed to be Asylum misunderstanding the gods entirely? Or does Josie Campbell believe that Hestia is the patron goddess of tradwives or something? Who knows, 'cuz the chances of this character ever getting brought up again are unfortunately pretty slim.

I feel like the story makes it pretty clear that she's misinterpreting the gods.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

More like: Three Joker Problem

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a good reason why DC restarted the numbering on the Catwoman trades without the series itself actually restarting? There’s one Catwoman vol 1 that includes issues 1-6, and then another Catwoman vol 1 that includes issues 39-44.

What’s the deal?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

Is there a good reason why DC restarted the numbering on the Catwoman trades without the series itself actually restarting? There’s one Catwoman vol 1 that includes issues 1-6, and then another Catwoman vol 1 that includes issues 39-44.

What’s the deal?

Is there a new writer/creative crew on 39? Usually they will change the trade numbers to reflect a new creative crew run.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think that was the Valentine run and it was a soft reboot that sort of did a whole different thing with the character

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TwoPair posted:

I feel like the story makes it pretty clear that she's misinterpreting the gods.
Eh, my problem is that the gods have been portrayed so badly in these Amazon books that this is no longer a given. :sweatdrop: I'd be a little surprised if DC had Hestia show up in some book or another and act like some tradwife clown...but I honestly wouldn't be all that surprised.

e: Especially when the rest of the book has the recurring motif of Yara, and now Nubia, proudly declaring that "they're not my gods!" in a couple moments that seem cool and liberating at first blush...except, if you put it in context, why would they be saying that if the bad guys are in fact misinterpreting the gods? Why wouldn't they just say that Asylum is wrong and doesn't actually understand Hestia, instead of trying to distance themselves from Hestia?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 30, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Writing my displeasure for the Orca story featured in Batman #579-581

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Writing my displeasure for the Orca story featured in Batman #579-581

Noted. Hama's run on Batman kind of really sucked.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I've been digging back into Comics and have been getting a bit confused. Last time I dug into more "New" comics was around Infinite Crisis. Mostly I stick to the Superpeople books. Can I get a quick explanation of what happened to go from New 52 to Rebirth? Most of the other continuity changes have been event related but here I'm seeing "So... Superman was split in two, along with Lois. They lived somewhere else and eventually Superman fused back with another version of himself and because of that the world was rebuilt. Also, Dr. Manhattan happened"

The following is going to be a bit of a string of disjointed thoughts as I've been reading.

Barbara Gordon being Batgirl again. Thank the lord almighty. I know that it's controversial, but the fact that every other version of reality has Barbara having her legs and being batgirl, it seemed a bit strange that in the "main" universe she was different.

I Really Really liked the New 52 Supergirl. I read a bit of her return in Batman/Superman by Jeph Loeb, back in the day. The fact that the New 52 Supergirl had a HUGE culture shock at arriving on Earth, and didn't know English for a LONG time in her books. Even the basic idea that she talks to superman and wonder's what's up with his accent. Plus for He'l on earth the fact that one Supergirl issue ended into a page from a Superman issue (with Lois asking if she's his Moe call girl). The Rebirth/newer stuff is a bit to... teenage. I get that her entire point is she's a younger superperson, but out of the whole cast, I'm pretty sure not a single member of the superfamily is in college, which I feel is a loss. Especially since they've been running with "she remembers advanced physics from her elementary school on Krypton".

Read Rise of Metallo. Is this version of Metalloo the same one from New 52? I like the idea of Superman having a proper extended family, but think they went overboard with the sheer number of people. Superman, Supergirl, Superboy, SuperJon, SuperTwins... I realize I haven't read all of Jon's various appearances in books, but I thought his entire point is he's supposed to fill the age group that Damien was in? Pint sized power houses who get up to hijinks where their parents can't see? Why do we need to have superman just adopt two new kids to fill out the age bracket?

Superboy Man of Tomorrow: Honestly, kinda liked it given it's entire premise is basically my complaint about the above. A piece of me hopes that Connor can grab baby Infinity and basically have them run around as a comedic duo like something out of an anime. Except with random explosions and McGuffin magical powers of a tempestuous baby. Mostly that's from the Controller going "Wait, why are you making bubbles, we don't need bubbles!" as he's under attack and the baby is just giggling.

Finally as a child of the 90's.

Where's Kyle Raynor currently being written about? I know Geoff loves his 80's homebro's but I personally prefer The Torchbearer...

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Birds of Prey was pretty drat fun this month.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Rebirth explanation is literally "Dr. Manhattan hosed with the DC Universe then set it back to how it was before he hosed with it".

Kyle just recently showed up in a backup story in Green Lantern, so hopefully it means they have some plans for him. Otherwise he's been on the sidelines for a bit.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My DCapp hasn't updated new comics in like 3 weeks. Anyone else having issues?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also I read Titans at last and kinda unimpressed? Cool to have a focus on a couple of my favorite characters and everything but the books feels incredibly shallow which I guess is just kinda all of Tom Taylor's DC stuff at this point

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Personally I really enjoy most everything Taylor writes. I didn't like the simultaneous DC and Marvel medieval minis. Both felt forgettable. After Kelly Thompson I'd probably say he might be my 2nd favorite writer currently working.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Aw man, I loved Dark Knights of Steel.

I fuckin' hate that the follow-up is going to focus on Deathstroke though. Bleh.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Roth posted:

Also I read Titans at last and kinda unimpressed? Cool to have a focus on a couple of my favorite characters and everything but the books feels incredibly shallow which I guess is just kinda all of Tom Taylor's DC stuff at this point

Taylor seems incredibly divisive—lots of people love his work but there’s a significant minority of folks that think his stuff is shallow and boring

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It's definitely very shallow.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
His Nightwing is basically an experiment in how many issues he can put out without moving the plot forward.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Taylor writes a great "Comic Book" versus others who write "Graphic Novels". It makes his work stand out and will be looked back on fondly. He is like a Jurgens or Giffen.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Mr Hootington posted:

Taylor rights a great "Comic Book" versus others who write "Graphic Novels". It makes his work stand out and will be looked back on fondly. He is like a Jurgens or Giffen.

This is very much where I am, and a bunch of it is nostalgia but Jurgens is still one of my favorite writers.

Not everything needs to be grand and epic. More comics just need to be “fun”, and pretty much every Taylor comic leaves me with a big smile on my face and that’s exactly what you want sometimes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tom Taylor is good and Nightwing is one of the best comics around.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Darth Nat posted:

His Nightwing is basically an experiment in how many issues he can put out without moving the plot forward.

Wild. Nightwing is the best book at DC.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Darth Nat posted:

As someone who enjoys Nightwing a lot, this is correct. He's been dragging out the hush arc for ages

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
People in this thread just can’t stand a dude named Tom.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Codependent Poster posted:

Tom Taylor is good and Nightwing is one of the best comics around.

The best comic at doing absolutely nothing for years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

This is very much where I am, and a bunch of it is nostalgia but Jurgens is still one of my favorite writers.

Not everything needs to be grand and epic. More comics just need to be “fun”, and pretty much every Taylor comic leaves me with a big smile on my face and that’s exactly what you want sometimes.

Yeah, sometimes you waant something more "serious" but sometimes it's just nice to ready a story where the hero wins and there's not a body count (well, not a massive body count) or some miserable poo poo. It's like cotton candy in that it's light and if you eat it too much maybe you'll get sick, but it's not a weekly book or anything so (for me) you never hit that point.

e: also it has some genuinely funny parts which is more than I can say about 99% of Big 2 comics these days.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 6, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The best comic at doing absolutely nothing for years.

It's honestly a throw back to when runs would just kinda of putter around when they had a long-term ongoing writer. I like it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I haven't read his nightingale but I'm guessing each issue deals with some minor thing, but the overarching major story is slow burning in the background?

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Pretty much. It feels like a modern version of 80's comics to me a little bit. It's one of my favorite books and I've never given a drat about Nightwing. I'm a few issues back from life in general getting in the way, so it could be in a new direction I'm not aware of at the moment.

Also I love the art on the book. Clean and lends itself to humor, subtle facial expressions ,and such.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Lucifunk posted:

Pretty much. It feels like a modern version of 80's comics to me a little bit. It's one of my favorite books and I've never given a drat about Nightwing. I'm a few issues back from life in general getting in the way, so it could be in a new direction I'm not aware of at the moment.

Also I love the art on the book. Clean and lends itself to humor, subtle facial expressions ,and such.

Those types of runs are generally considered the best runs in books lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Idk 30-40 issues of X-Men relationship melodrama felt a lot less frustrating than 10-20 issues of "You know as superheroes we really ought to start facing the bigger problems in the world!" and then nothing meaningful happens.

This has been like three different runs of Taylor's DC books now between Superman, Nightwing, and Titans.

I realize the easy answer is that it's realistic, but I just don't care for it. I'm not opposed to wanting to write about these issues in comics, but as handled in these comics by Taylor it hasn't been remotely interesting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quoting myself from the last time Tom Taylor came up in the X-Men thread

Alaois posted:

Every time I read a Tom Taylor comic it feels like he's writing it directly for people who talk about comics on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I think both are true, Taylor is good at writing simple fun stories and likable characters but there's also a desperation in the writing to play around with "big ideas" in a way that's inoffensive and doesn't engage with the idea in any meaningful way. He should be writing a Brave and the Bold type team up series where the emphasis is on the former and avoids overarching storylines that invoke the later