Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I was smiling so much reading Young Justice #1.

The original series is one of my favourite comic runs, so having these characters back together is just great.

I'm excited to find out where Connors been and how he's back, but just having him back and out of the t-shirt and jeans costume and back to his roots is enough for now.

Roll on #2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
So Naomi #1 wasn't half bad. I wasn't going to pick it up but thought I'd give it a bash as I had very little else in this week.

It's a nice simple premise, but Bendis managed to get me invested in a brand new character right off the bat, so I'm going to give it a few issues for sure.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Wonder Twins #1 is a fun read. I like that it's not taking itself too seriously, but it does have its moments. I'll happily read this for six issues.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

George Kansas posted:

If I read Doomsday Clock in anticipation of the ending, do I benefit from reading other Rebirth comics first? I haven’t really read much since Rebirth started past the first volume or so of a few trades, but I want to see Dr. Manhattan wreck poo poo.

No, it's very much doing it's own thing. You'll be fine just reading Doomsday Clock without any other books.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I wasn't overly excited about the prospect of Miller writing a Superman book, but after reading Year One last night I'm pleasantly surprised.

It had a few roll your eyes moments but on the whole I enjoyed it, but I'm definitely treating it as an Elseworlds tale.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Are these Giants that are solicited the same as those that were previously available only in Wallmart? I'm sure I remember reading they were being re-launched to be made available everywhere going forward.

I hope this is the case, as I'm in the UK and have been importing the Wallmart comics so this will save me a ton of cash.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

frameset posted:

You can buy the former Walmart exclusives as "Superman Up in the Sky", "Batman Universe", and "Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me". First issues of each are out now.

Yeah I've got those, but I'm an idiot when it comes to Superman and Flash books so I have to have the first prints of new content no matter the cost.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
So Flash Forward was awful.

I really want a good Wally book and for him to be treated well, but this was just a Heroes in Crisis recap, and we all know how that went.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Just read that the last two issues of Supergirl are going to be digital only, with their only physical release being part of a TPB collection. That sucks.

I wonder if there will be more DC books close to their ends that will get the same treatment.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anyone been reading Teen Titans? I honestly forgot it being a thing at the same time there is a Young Justice book.

Teen Titans has been pretty average for a while now, but it's being cancelled with the last issue hitting in November. It looks to be setting up a new status quo for Damian on it's way out.

I've enjoyed Young Justice, but sadly that is also coming to an end in November.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Xelkelvos posted:

Getting the whole Flash Family back is really cool, but Thawne being responsible for so much seems extra dumb as a trade-off.

If this is what it takes for Wally to be treated better by creators going forward, I'll take it.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Anyone know why DCEASED Dead Planet #3 and 4 aren't making their way to the UK? I asked my LCS and they just kind of shrugged.

Pretty annoying as it looks like I'm going to have to spend extra to get copies sent to me from the US via eBay.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Yeah, he’s awful. The work he did during Bendis run on Action Comics was so bad. He’s getting hired due to his name and putting absolutely no effort into anything.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
I'd like to think some of the changes wouldn't have been so drastic, but thankfully we will never know. Thank goodness this was just a two month thing in the end.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
We had Connor back in costume for way longer than I thought we would.

It was only a matter of time before T-Shirt Connor was back, but dumping him in Suicide Squad out of the way just feels like a double blow.

Just give Kessel and Grummet another run with the character. I don't care if it's continuity or not, I loved that version of the character. Johns totally ruined him.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Wasn't the Superboy death more that they were in a legal battle regarding the rights, so it was just easier to get rid of Connor?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

BrianWilly posted:

On a slightly different note, Teen Titans Academy still makes me wish that I could unread books :buddy:

It's really bad. I keep buying it to keep my Teen Titans run un-broken, but I can't see it being much longer for this world.

DC just need to shelve the Titans for a bit, rather than launching and re-launching bad series after bad series.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Mr Hootington posted:

Quit buying the bad book.

I'm to far in, I can't break my runs.

For example, my Superman and Flash runs contain every main title, mini series, one shot and spin off released from their relaunches after Crisis. 35 years worth of comics can't be broken due to some titles being bad.

It's my cross to bare.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

The Question IRL posted:

There is one DC character with the name Chase I care about, and that is Cameron Chase.
Bring her back. They could make an excellent procedural based show about her dealing with DC villains all the while her main target I'd Dr. Trapp.

She was in the Supergirl comics after Rebirth as the head of the DEO. But yeah, she should be used more.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Darth TNT posted:

So did they really just kill the JL by saying, "you're dead now." In the most unceremonious way possible?

They'll be back by the end of Dark Crisis.

It was such a wet fart of a comic. Had it been a free comic book day prelude it would have been fine, but as a more expensive issue of JL it fell hugely flat.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Codependent Poster posted:

A battered Nightwing actually beats Slade first. But then Slade is all like "who do I fight next from all these other canon fodder losers?" and Dick tells him to just kill him if that will get him to leave the rest alone. Jon shows up just in time to stop the bullet and save Nightwing.

I actually popped for the panel where Jon shows up, so the series did that right at least.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

BrianWilly posted:

Okay yo look...I'm no Tom King so what do I know, really?

Be thankful for this.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

thetoughestbean posted:

https://twitter.com/theoasg/status/1629263569760952323?s=46&t=dxZY15rIkh__-8NDx1vQ8w

Finally the comic where Superman goes to different chain restaurants in Japan will be legally available

I recently got a set of the Superman set imported from Japan. It’ll be nice to have a set I can read.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Mokotow posted:

Since comics are now easily available in Poland, I decided to dive into some DC stuff a few months ago.

First of all, I gotta say jumping on is really difficult if you haven’t read these comics recently. I was hoping the Lazarus Planet event would be a good point, but on the contrary - not only did it not explain who’s who at all, it also these random new powers into the mix.

I found it easiest to get into Superman, even though I came in at the last three issues of Warworld. Having last read Superman around 91, I am slowly understanding who all the Super people hanging around the Kent house are, and when I think I have a hang of them, a Chinese superman appears. And a few from other dimensions. Oh boy.

I’m also confused by the relationship between the mainline Superman comic, the side John Kents and what have you and the Action Comics line - like they all feature Lex Luthor, who seems to kinda be a different character in each one.

I also went into Batman and Detective Comics and I think here it was a bit easier to het into the grove, although again I come from a time of Batman and Robin and it seems now there are multiple Robins, a Nightwing and a whole troupe of Batman-adjacent teenagers (but only in Batman, not in Detective Comics).

I do like the 6-issue miniseries that are a thing now - like GCPD and Gotham Year One were great, so I’m looking forward to the Penguin miniseries. Also tried the Flash 1-minute war event as a sample and it seemed cool, but again - there’s like a house full if Flash people now and it sucks to onboard.

A great title to jump into is World's Finest. It's set in the past so isn't tied to any ongoing stories, and features a cast of characters you know and if they are obscure, it explains who they are (such as the current story arc).

It's such a fun book and really harkens back to simpler times. It also shouldn't be too hard to pick up the back issues

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
If you want to read Superman and Batman but don't want to get bogged down in multiple titles, give World's Finest a go. It's set in the past so is it's own thing and is excellent!

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Peter David 's Young Justice run any good

One of my favourite series ever. It's just fun from start to finish with every character getting time to shine. I can't recommend it enough.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like I'm kind of dumb for saying this, but I'm not sure I'm really liking the current run on Flash. The family drama stuff just feels depressing with a dash of the 'aren't superheroes childish and bad' deconstruction I'm over, and the larger plot feels like it's either way too clever for me, or not as clever as it thinks it is so much as not entirely coherent.

I'm totally with you, I'm not enjoying it at all. It just feels like a slog to read.

Definitely the bottom of my to read pile at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
The idea of Grounded isn't even that bad, but it came at the wrong time.

We'd just had the New Krypton story that dragged on and totally outstayed it's welcome. What we need was a nice palette cleanse, old fashioned Superman story after that. We got Grounded instead.