Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
To jump on old bait, Electric Warriors has been neat. I like the one Dominator as an avenue of exploring how one of that race drifts from the characteristics we've come to expect.

I'm staying away from Naomi for now because I don't feel like diving into another NEW CHARACTER GETS TO LEARN THE MOST IMPORTANT STUFF EVER! but if folks here respond well I'll go back for it. My defective brain loves BIG SECRETS but I can't bite every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Sounds like I'll try to get Naomi next week if there's any left at my shop. I think I only saw the art focused variants by the time I made it there yesterday.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
drat, i already started having my hopes up for Foreverer Eviler

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm actually kinda impressed at the restraint as well, save for scans image John's receding hairline

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

Seemed like it's just something that happened on that alternate Earth.
COIE was erasing worlds not just causing their ozone layers to collapse, letting in superpower rays, or whatever happened there.

I thought the whole backstory was pretty dumb. Good series otherwise, but that was a let down for me.

Yeah, this is a far cry from like THE BIGGEST SECRET IN THE DC UNVERSE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. With the whole podunk town angle I was initially thinking it'd be like Avengers Standoff or something where the whole town was involved in whatever was going down, but nope. I guess we have one more issue to see if there is some super big secret for reals.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dawgstar posted:

How terrible has Daredevil's life been lately?

Zdarsky's writing it and after denying it for a while then realizing that yeah a dude died because of him, it looks like Matty is giving up the mask for some amount of time.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
"Event Leviathan" is a really odd official way of referring to it and I hope that we get an explanation and that it's at least mildly interesting.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s supppsed to sound official. Like a dossier or secret government file.

Yeah, the logo with the redactions and all is neat; be pretty cool if there were a fully unredacted version of the logo text that made sense.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

glitchwraith posted:

I picked up Leviathan Rising mainly for Rucka and Fraction, but enjoyed the main plot of "Villains kidnap Clark Kent as bait for Superman, who goes along with it for a story, only to get actually trapped by the kryptonite meant to trap Superman." I'm a bit disappointed that isn't the plot of the whole event, as a team of super detectives racing against the clock to rescue Superman is a pretty decent hook. Sadly, I lost interest as soon as he was rescued this issue, as I couldn't care less about the secret identity of Mysterious Mech Hood.

Yeah, and I wanna know what happened with Gorilla Jimmy. Did I, uh, miss a huge chunk of other things happening?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It was pretty trippy; thus far though I think I liked the becoming a Darkstar issue best.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

You'll be fine with those two.
Rebirth is still in the New 52 universe, it just had some major status quo changes that came explained (Lois, Clark and their son being the post-Crisis versions ported over and eventually replacing/merged with the N52 folks) or not (Amanda Waller turning from skinny to classic)

edit: Morrison's Green Lantern might still be confusing because it's constantly making silver-age references.
Think about getting the other Young Animal titles as well since they eventually cross over with DP (and Steve Orlando's JLA, but you won't need to be familiar with that) in Milk Wars, and they're all pretty good.

Thus far, The Green Lantern just feels like it's sticking to its own thing, being a neat canvas for Morrison to Morrison. I don't tend to read ahead in solicits so IDK if there's any planned crossovers or whatever in the future, though.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Rhyno posted:

I do miss trying to come up with new variations on mocking his name.

mentally I went with "dank titty memes" tbh

Content: of all things, the chapter titles in Justice League Dark had a really nice feel to them, for me. A bit of an uncommon thing to note, but hey, I like me some typography.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hey, so I think I missed something by not reading other series. Regarding the end of Justice League, had it been previously established that Kamandi was in contact with Batman Beyond and allies?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

TwoPair posted:

Wait so have they completely given up on that being in canon now?

By 2024 Disney will own all media as well as most human life, so every Marvel hero will also get a chance to be Batman too.

Well, Daredevil was already called Red Batman...

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BrianWilly posted:

Oh man, Wonder Woman: Dead Earth is definitely some wild poo poo. Lotsa gore, lotsa nuclear apocalypse orphans, lotsa thunderdomey stuff. You get the picture. I was gonna ream it slightly for not really having much to do with Wonder Woman, per se, besides some obligatory Hippolyta/Steve flashbacks, but...there's a scene that comes near the end of the issue that made me go oh snap, thank you yes. This is definitely still Diana. They actually do still get it.

The latest mainline WW issue from Orlando is still gibberish, though. :sweatdrop: The cliffhanger ending of Rebirth Hera finally showing up is interesting enough for my broken-rear end fan-rear end to want to read, but the non-fan part of my brain knows this is not worth the effort.

I was pretty excited for Wonder Woman: Dead Earth. I picked up Daniel Warren Johnson's title from a few months ago, Murder Falcon, on a whim and I came to absolutely love that. There's a grittiness to his art that feels really good for monsters, like in that series and this, and it works pretty darn well with the post-apocalyptic setting.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Cassa posted:

Jimmy Olsen still incredible.

What's this?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Endless Mike posted:

Am I the only one reading Far Sector? Because that's some good poo poo so far. Jemison hasn't fallen into the prose-writer-writes-comics trap of over-captioning everything that happens a lot.

I'm keeping up with it, and it's made me interested in picking up her novels.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
As someone with what feels like an irrational appreciation for Mister Terrific, I'm also surprised this didn't get canceled along with those other titles or debuted alongside, but I'm glad to be getting Mister Terrific content all the same.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
the past several issues have had a dinkload of bizarro speak so I have to be careful about how much of the dialogue i have to negate in order to interpret it properly

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Honestly now that I think about it, I find it funny that Snyder's used the whole "make everyone earth psychically align themselves with a heroic or villainous mindset" point in two books this past year. Justice League and that Batman: Last Knight On Earth one.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Yeah, I expected it to get cancelled a long time ago, honestly. I'm glad we got more Mister Terrific, he's someone I always thought wasn't used enough, but maybe sparingly is fine.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Harold Fjord posted:

A town where everyone is secretly a big city hero/villain could be pretty fun for a while. Batmans and jokers galore!

In addition to the other comparisons people made, I couldn't help but think of Avengers Standoff.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've been enjoying it a lot but also Daniel Warren Johnson is one of my favorite folks in comics as of late so it was an instant pickup for me.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Joker title sounds interesting but I've found Rosenberg off-putting alas. Will probably check out the Riddler book, though, always love a good story with that fella.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BrianWilly posted:

Clark competing with Bruce for most children hoarded.

I feel like Jon's design is way too close to Conner's like, that is literally Kon's old haircut :sweatdrop:...unless the electric boogaloo suit becomes a permanent thing.

Whoever designed the twins feels like a JRPG fan

My son Kenan has returned from the war

Hell yes give me more Kong Kenan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
is that motherfucking Three-Willie Seth in the latest Outsiders