Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm way into some of these designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vince MechMahon posted:

E: He also had it so the super violent nazi hero was actually a black guy who was also a nazi sympathizer. Which is cool and good and not weird and problematic at all in any way.

wait he wasn't a nazi sympathizer what show were you watching

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Parallax posted:

not thrilled reading the synopses but i like most of these new designs a lot. something very fun and light about them

a young stephanie brown watching naruto AMVs and taking mental notes about kakashi just in case she ever loses an eye

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think Future State sounds mostly fine, and it's interesting which DC books haven't been in a hot minute.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In case anyone was wondering if the Future State stuff was going to have any impact on the regular books Joelle Jones is writing/drawing a Wonder Girl ongoing starring the present version of Future State's Wonder Woman.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-girl-tv-series-latina-lead-yara-flor-dailyn-rodriguez-greg-berlanti-productions-the-cw-1234616503/

She's also getting a show too so DC's going full media push on this character.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

The 70s joker series is wild.

It's the kind of thing I don't think I've seen before or since, an ongoing (well it was supposed to be ongoing) about a just totally irredeemable villain doing villain poo poo

If memory serves it was only allowed by the Comics Code because Joker didn't kill anyone (people always miraculously survived things like getting an acid pie int the face) and because every issue ends him with being arrested.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

He kills someone in the second issue

I looked it up and yeah but he drops them down an incinerator chute so you don't get confirmation that the guy died, which feels like exactly the kind of dumb technicality that'd get you past the CCA.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

I knew she was gonna do a Detective one shot for the future state thing DC is doing, didn't realize she was taking over the ongoing.

Turns out like 90% of the Future State creative teams are just going to be the actual creative teams for the future. It seems like those books are presenting bad future version of where the DCU is heading instead of just being completely unconnected.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jupiter Jazz posted:

New Teen Titans is a total snore so far. X-Men wannabe comic made in the 80's with the 60's level writing. The lack of team chemistry, it all feels so forced. It reminds me of a 60's X-Men comic made 20 years later. It's bad. I'll stick to Batman for now.

Pretty embarrassing comic book.

Yeah I also never really got the appeal of New Teen Titans for those exact reasons

It feels like a reaction more than it's own thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Starting Christmas Eve DC and Kodansha are collaborating on a manga called Batman: Justice Buster

The creative team is the same duo behind the recent Ultraman manga, which I like quite a bit, so I'm pretty into this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jiro posted:

How........how does he turn his head? Are we creeping back to Burton Batman tank movements?

It's a manga it doesn't matter

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like "The Joker has a storyline where he kills a thousand people every few months "is more a matter of perception than, like, things that actually happen in the comics. What was the last notable thing Joker story before Joker War?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Give most of the Future State creators are going to be working on the main books I think the idea is "here's what happens if all those storylines coming up go terribly wrong". Like I don't think any retconning is going to be needed?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the rumour that this is them burning off the first arc of the books that were supposed to be the new slate before DiDio got canned? I have to hand it to Dan for at least having a bold idea if nothing else, actually doing something daring (even the New 52 wasn't daring, it was 'lets put the genies back in the bottle and put everything back to square one like in COIE') is rare.

It's an unproven rumor that given the way the DC books are going post-Future State I think it's increasingly less likely

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Xelkelvos posted:

The Batman backups are better than the main Batman comic. WW is solid and whimsical and would be a fine addition to canon though I fear what a bad writer would do with the introduction of a non-european pantheon interacting with Olympians. The premise for all of the Metropolis stuff is just bad. Swamp Thing has legs though. Harley Quinn also seems to have potential and it'd be a nice change to see her as Manic Pixie Punk Rock Criminologist in the main canon.

I'm pretty sure that's the exact angle the new harley quinn book is taking

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it the same writer, though? She could definitely incorporate some of those elements.

That is, in fact, the purpose of Future State

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RBX posted:

Isn't this all gonna be forgotten and then covering up a failed reboot they didn't like?

The storylines present in the Future State books are going to be continuing (or I guess starting) in the core books, so the Magistrate will be a thing coming up in the Bat-books, Teen Titans Academy has Red X, Future State Wonder Woman is going to be starting in a Wonder Girl book, etc etc.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Do we know that last one? I figured it was gonna be the backup in Wonder Woman, but that's a more normal Wonder Girl story it sounds like, in so far as being Diana as a teenager.

Nothing beyond Joelle Jones saying there's more to come

https://twitter.com/Joelle_Jones/status/1328477941999648768

and that it would be very weird if you made a big deal about announcing a new character, immediately giving them an upcoming TV series, and then didn't put a book out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
DC pulling the trigger on Cass/Steph. What a time to be alive.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

They what now?

The Batgirls back-up in The Next Batman portrays them as bitter exes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean it's that and also Cass talking about "what they once shared" and how there was "something special between them" with no actual mention of friendship and I don't know about y'all but that's not usually how I talk about my platonic relationships

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm just saying it would be very weird if Vita Ayala was queerbaiting though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Siegkrow posted:

Didn't the both of them date Tim at different times?

Cass has never dated Tim in any canon that I'm aware of

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think (key word: think) the idea is the books aren't all taking place at the same time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
COIE is a huge loving mess and narratively stalls out and falls apart but in spite of that it's still somehow an entertaining read

Are we counting JLA/Avengers as an event?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Probably Geoff Johns given the comments about Static not being "Street" enough and then Ray Fisher's experience on Justice League.

Pretty sure Johns wasn't an editor when McKeever was at DC. Or, like, ever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So it's a modern Dan Jurgens book.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Jess is fine. They're your standard smarmy speedster character, like they tried to make the Justice League version of Wally West into a comic character, so if you like that then there's nothing wrong with them. They haven't had much depth to them but that's what happens when you appear in a like two issue team book that's more concerned with a setting-up a future status quo than anything else.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's more the convoluted origin. If you wanted a non-binary future Flash character they didn't have to be from the weird sex swap earth. They've already got a logjam of underused characters.

They're essentially Non-Binary Wallace West and Wallace West also sucks.

I mean, so what? Power Girl's origin was such a goddamn mess for years even at the height of her popularity to the point they just threw their hands up and said "she's from Earth-2" and then everyone just kind of accepted that. I don't get how being from an alternate Earth meaningfully makes a character better or worse.

If people wanted to use those underused characters I imagine they would. New characters aren't stopping old characters from getting panel time. Like, Wallace isn't stopping Wally from being in books right now that's for drat sure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Totally new costume.

Also I don't think Morrison ever said they were done with DC

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

Just read the Joker Fish story and there is the modern Joker. I was wondering when the full transformation would happen.

I wouldn't even say that's Modern Joker exactly. Modern Joker basically has no traits beyond being obsessed with Batman while Laughing Fish works because it's Joker doing horrible, awful things in service of a completely nonsense goal that doesn't really have much to do with Batman.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I completely forgot about that part not gonna lie

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean hell there was a good Suicide Squad book about that not like three months ago

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No comic revolving around social media should be written by someone over 35

which is probably also the age Dan Jurgens was at when he wrote his last good book

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

Dan Jurgens wrote the great Superman and Lois mini that brought the real Superman back and gave us Jon Kent. That was like five years ago.

Alright I rescind my second point but I maintain the first one is true I don't want to know what a dude over 60 thinks about twitter

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

RWBY/Justice League? I beg your pardon.

Yeah it's another digital first Marguerite Bennett series. I feel like she's written a dozen of those by now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah it's the type of crossover where it's introducing alternate world versions of the characters who just have always existed in that universe so you get things like the Bruce Wayne being a literal bat-man

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
she's spiraling in a loop of anxiety (being cognizant of being anxious just making you more stressed) and Batman shocks her out of it with a non-sequitur

I don't think it's that confusing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've never heard of that site and it has auto play videos

not really inclined to believe that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vince MechMahon posted:

No I just thought it was cause it looks just like her as "blond, chalk white skin, punk clothes" reads as Harley.

how does that look blonde it's full on anime hair