Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

How has 6 Feats Under been? I haven't heard from them in a while. Either they have disbanded or there is a large backlog to get caught up on.

mouse guard campaign is v. good, i'm catching up on a year or so of backlog (almost finished with summer) and i'm enjoying it immensely, everyone is cute and entertaining

fellowship is probably also good but i wasn't really feeling the first couple of episodes when they were coming out so i'm waiting till i'm caught up on mouse guard to give it another try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

You ever worry you might be a grognard? I'm on this Discord about comic books. Occasionally, they talk about role playing games. But they always say things that make me go "ugh." Like, right now there was a discussion about how much better it is to roll for stats than any other system. And I'm just trying to say that that doesn't work for any Edition after second (and arguably not even then). But once they responded to my assertion, I just didn't feel like responding. They said it's better because it's more fun and I realize that it was stupid for me to argue with them about such things and that my opinion is not the most important even if I do think I'm right.

I'm just starting to worry that I'm a bit of a grognard since I'm hearing them talk about their game stuff and just thinking its badwrongfun, even if I don't feel like voicing my opinion since my opinion is no more valid than their's.

having an opinion doesn't make you a grognard

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

double elf means they absorbed their twin in the womb

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mendrian posted:

To me the most damning thing about Zak in this industry is that he was such a shitlord for so long and so many normal-seeming people would look at all the allegations surrounding him and think, 'yeah but do we *really* have enough evidence?' I just don't understand why he was well respected by an industry he basically pestered his way into.

there's not alot of money in this industry so when you want to be able to make games full time and not have to have a dayjob on top of that to make ends meet you don't push away a guy with an established audience unless you absolutely have to

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

if you think anything remotely close to this is going to happen you are full on delusional

dnd 5e is their golden goose and mearls is majorly responsible for it

expect a corporate reiteration of hasbro's inclusion policy and a return to business as usual

magic is their golden goose and 5e's recent successes has nothing to do with mearls being some game design genius, it's all actual plays taking off in a big way

mearls is easily replaceable and if he has half a brain he knows it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

id be amazed if hasbro execs even knew mike mearls' name

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

It is genuinely always a little fascinating when we get a glimpse into the twisted ways hyphz seems to think tabletop games actually work in practice

is it? most of it seems reducible to 'but what if the player decides to be an obstinate dickhead about this rule?'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

burning wheel? oh right, you mean Worse Mouse Guard

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even pathfinder fans seem pretty meh on starfinder

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

1hp = 1 gallon of blood

accidentally break a healing potion and everyone in a 20 foot radius is just drenched in blood

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

I think instead of making a game that needs an entire bloody website to properly run, we should be angling towards more streamlined and straightforward game systems to reduce/remove the necessity.

do you think there's a shortage of games like that these days?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

when your frog monk needs a mid-combat buff have him use his kero-ken x20

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

They aren't making Weird Fantasy stuff because they think that TSR D&D didn't have it, it's because they feel that WOTC D&D and Pathfinder have been lacking in the weird and exotic, so there's plenty of room in the market for that sort of thing and a lot of what they're putting out is great

i think the point is more that aping old d&d stuff hardly qualifies as 'weird' within the pen and paper space

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

AdEva is a tabletop game made off of a completely off the rails Evangelion fanfic by someone who thinks the Imperium of Man are the good guys in 40k.

was that the fanfic where shinji mans up and becomes a cool badass hero because he started playing 40k or are there somehow two utterly moronic widespread crossover fics of those two franchises

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Splicer posted:

That tweet's a little ambiguous. Is she angry because the GM was there, or is she angry because she wasn't invited?

look you gotta invite the dm, that's how you end up getting the dungeon loot coincidentally tailored to what your character needs

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

extremely disappointed in how fast this conversation moved past delicious casear salad towards gross oatmeal

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

anyone who still reads american cape comics is a masochist

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Why aren't more apocalpyse setting like Nausica of the Valley of the Wind?

because it doesn't appeal to libertarian power fantasies as much as mad max ripoff #85

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the one time i tried WoW i rolled a lady orc monk and the random name generator gave me 'gretamania' and i'm still not over how amazing that is 5 years later

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

You don't need to come up with them. Ron Edwards already did that for us.

Unfortunately I haven't played 3 houses yet so I don't know which house is what. I hear there are tea parties, so definitely the Narritivists are covered.

blue lions are narrativists, black eagles are simulationists, yellow deer are... was gamist the third one?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

I'd add:

5. people who just know D&D 3.x who, when you try to sell them on a different system via the campaign you want to run for them (say, Delta Green), nod their head sagely throughout and at the end ask "yes, but could you run that in D&D 3.x instead?" and before you can answer they suggest you use their fantasy heartbreaker in which they tried to do WH40K, except in 3.x.

i don't really see that many people like that here

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

Not here, but more in general. And by 3.x, I do mean 3e and all of its derivatives (e.g., 3.5, PF, 5e).

that post was about here though, 1 and 3 especially

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

as much as i wish a major faction of p&p people was people champing at the bit for a better 4e

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

4e is already perfect

psionics deserved better

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

theironjef posted:

It's really one that needs to be firmly shot down right away too. Let that slide and all of a sudden you're dealing with "But the planet we're on is rotating soooooo" and poo poo.

As for the zone thing, I think I may have internalized a house rule from my old table as a game rule. We had a rule that you could only damage a creature with a zone off it's own turn once per action. If they wanted to walk through a fire wall, that was their dumb mistake, but setting up a slide 10 to make some schmoe take your encounter power damage five times in a row seemed poorly constructed.

i think that was official errata?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ignoring the third dimension is good actually, even more so when basically all of those except 4e wanted it to be possible to play in ~the theater of the mind~

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

If they just start releasing rules for playing with funko pops from their back catalog, this is a legitimately good idea.

i wonder if they'd have to re-negotiate rights for that

i could very easily see disney or any of another dozen companies not being into the idea of elsa funko fighting the predator funko and bojack horseman funko

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Malthusian posted:

They showed it at Gencon. The figures are not standard Pop size, they’re maybe a half to 3/4 as large. Each of these new figures has its own rules and abilities and is supposed to be balanced so that a team is decided by number of members, not points cost.The initial line up is an expected mix of pop culture and superhero properties: Batman, Rick and Morty, Harry Potter. But also:

Golden Girls. So Blanche and Rose can fight the Joker and Morty. While I have no great love of the rules as demo’ed or of Funko in general, it was nice to see they’re willing to get some of their weirder and less expected properties on to the tabletop.

lmao okay this rules

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i ran into 3.5's problems as a newbie, by which i mean i tried playing it once and thought character creation was really complicated and boring, that game fell apart, and i felt no reason to get into pen and paper stuff for another 6 or so years when the great 4e wave swept SA

like, that's kind of a thing too, the people who bounce off of d&d could easily assume that's just how all games are so they don't stick around the pen and paper community to say their piece

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Libertad! posted:

Found this posted on a Savage Worlds Facebook group.

Deadlands: Lost Colony is getting an SW update on October 2019.

did the 'we're moving past the weird west' era of the first go-around of deadlands seriously have fans?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

muteez nuts

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FMguru posted:

Tweet is the one who went full biotruths/skull calipers.

kinda funny how the one of the 13a duo who was more regressive in wanting bad sacred cow d&disms like imbalanced skill/background points by class also ended up being pretty regressive in other aspects of life!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

look if a good 20% of your brain isn't dedicated to s1-10 simpsons jokes you really only have yourself to blame

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

WW always seemed less 'goths' and more 'nerds who think goths are hot'

which makes it all the more amazing i didn't play any WoD until after high school

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I hate to be the one to break it to you but goths are nerds, sorry.

sure but in a 'squares are rectangles' kind of way

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

first there has to be a good digimon video game to crib off of

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

There are several good Digimon video games, though...?

ehhhhhhhhh. cyber sleuth gets close but is still more grindy than i'd like

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

theironjef posted:

There are few properties I'd less rather play than Pokemon, just because I don't give a dry gently caress about the little rats or whatever, and even if I wanted to play a pet battle collecting game, I'd be desperate to avoid people telling me the male/female birthrates of sandshrews or what percentage chances the table for a Type VI humanoid egg has or whatever. It's a game that already comes with a high level of genre nerdery, and any given game built to run it will never have enough stats for the fans.

i feel like you're vastly overestimating the percentage of min-maxing competitive players that exist in the fanbase of a franchise for kids that sells millions of copies

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tuxedo catfish i think some of the disconnect here is that when other people are lamenting the 'crunch' of pokemon that fans obsess over they're talking more about IV/EVs or egg moves or natures; the kinds of things that's very very irrelevant to anyone not playing competitive pvp and in a lot of ways mostly just exists as busywork for people who want the 'perfect' charizard. no one's gonna object to elemental weaknesses or choosing powers or using items in a pokemon trpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm sorry but Digimon is more interesting because it shows that Digimon do in fact have to poo poo like the rest of us, which was something the other monster shows of the era ALSO lacked

not only do digimon poo poo, if they poo poo too much they end up digivolving into a literal poo poo digimon

if your digimon ttrpg doesn't have that as a mechanic you're basically a coward