Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Silly Burrito posted:

At the time when it was all in the news, numerous former players talked about informal incentives that existed between players in the locker room on other teams even though it was forbidden by the NFL. From what I remember, Gregg started a similar program in New Orleans (involving him as a coach instead of just involving players for bragging rights), they tried to cover it up and were busted and punished.

Gotcha. I still don't quite understand why if Payton knew about it and didn't stop it how Gregg is the sole focus of hatred in the eyes of Saint fans. Is it because he snitched? Is it because Payton hates him therefore you all feel compelled to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Silly Burrito posted:

Absolutely not, I obviously don’t want that. It was stupid and cost our team dearly in a bunch of ways.

I'm glad you're able to focus on the real consequences of that whole scandal: how it hurt your team. That's definitely the most important thing to remember.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. Nice! posted:

He ended Brett Favre's career with that bounty scheme and for that he should forever be exiled alone. Favre could have played another 3-4 years on the vikings.

Who was the Bears guy who actually ended his career? Or put the end of his career out of its misery.

I remember a funny picture with a chalk outline.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Grittybeard posted:

Who was the Bears guy who actually ended his career? Or put the end of his career out of its misery.

I remember a funny picture with a chalk outline.

Corey Wooton

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
When Gregg Williams was with the Redskins one of his players tackled Peyton Manning by the neck(ripping his helmet off in the process) and it was after that his neck started deteriorating slowly. gently caress him forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar36kCRyHGA

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

When Gregg Williams was with the Redskins one of his players tackled Peyton Manning by the neck(ripping his helmet off in the process) and it was after that his neck started deteriorating slowly. gently caress him forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar36kCRyHGA

Reading his Wiki page...yikes...I knew it was bad, I didn't realize it was THAT bad...

quote:

On March 2, 2012, it was revealed that during Williams' tenure, the Saints ran an illegal "bounty fund" which paid players for causing injuries to opponents that would result in those players leaving the game. The NFL found that Williams and as many as 27 Saints defensive players were involved in the scheme.[19] An unidentified Saints player first alerted the NFL to the scheme in the 2010 offseason, but the investigation stalled until the NFL found irrefutable evidence of a bounty system just before the 2011–12 playoffs.[20]

A league investigation revealed that Williams began the bounty system soon after he arrived in New Orleans, after Payton charged him to make the Saints' defense "nasty." Players usually earned $1,000 for "cart-offs" and $1,500 for "knockouts" during the regular season (though payments were known to triple during the playoffs), though they were encouraged to put their winnings back into the pot in order to raise the stakes as the season went on. The investigation also found that Payton tried to cover up the scheme, and that linebackers coach Joe Vitt, whom Payton had assigned to monitor Williams (the two reportedly did not get along), knew about the broad lines of the scheme and did nothing.[20][21][22]

Soon after the investigation came to light, several former players and coaches with the Bills and Redskins claimed that Williams operated similar systems while he was with them.[23][24] Former NFL coach and current NBC Sports analyst Tony Dungy said that he was certain Williams operated a similar system with the Oilers/Titans as well.[25] However, several players, coaches and team executives who were with Williams in Houston/Tennessee, Buffalo and Washington have denied that Williams ever ran a bounty system.[26][27][28][29]

Williams was summoned to NFL headquarters after the investigation concluded in mid-February. He initially denied any involvement, but recanted and admitted everything in a meeting with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.[21] He issued a statement apologizing for his role, saying that he had known it was wrong from the start.[19] On March 21, 2012, the NFL suspended Williams indefinitely for "conduct detrimental" to the league, effective that day. In a statement, the NFL said that its investigation had found that Williams not only administered the bounty program and occasionally contributed some of his own money to the bounty pool, but lied to league investigators about his role. Consequently, the suspension would run until the end of the 2012 season at the earliest. When Williams applied for reinstatement, Goodell considered how much Williams cooperated with the NFL in its continuing investigation; Goodell also expected Williams to participate in league efforts to eliminate bounty systems altogether.[22] The NFL is still investigating allegations that Williams ran a bounty program in Washington.[30]

Williams apologized again after he learned of his punishment, and said he hoped to return to coaching in the future.[31] However, Fisher said that neither he nor the Rams knew about the bounty program, and he would have not have hired Williams had he known that Williams might be facing a year's suspension.[32]

On April 5, documentary filmmaker Sean Pamphilon released audio of a meeting Williams held with his defense before their 2012 divisional playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers. In a profanity-laced speech, Williams instructed his defense to target several 49ers players. He ordered his men to try to knock out running back Kendall Hunter, even if it meant hitting him out of bounds. He specifically directed them to try to tear wide receiver Michael Crabtree's ACL, and to go after wide receiver Kyle Williams specifically because he had a history of concussions. Pamphilon, who was doing a documentary on the media's effect on football from Pee-Wee all the way to the NFL, released the audio to Yahoo! Sports because he was sickened by what he heard.[33]

On December 12, the Associated Press reported that, according to a transcript of the bounty appeal hearing, Williams had testified that he had wanted to shut down the system after the league began investigating, but was overruled by Saints linebackers coach Joe Vitt.[34] Vitt, however, denied the claims.[35]

How is this guy still in the league?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Root for Philip Rivers

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Root for Philip Rivers

Eh, I'll pass.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

Root for Philip Rivers

I am.

And Mahomes.

And Foles.

And basically anyone but Brees because gently caress the Saints.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Strobe posted:

I'm glad you're able to focus on the real consequences of that whole scandal: how it hurt your team. That's definitely the most important thing to remember.

I don’t know what you want, to render into sackcloth and ashes while wailing at the sky? It was a huge screwup, we lost our head coach for a year, lost our GM and other position coaches for a half a year, lost draft picks, and set our team back quite a few years. It will always be associated with our team. I just hope that they or any other team never does anything like that again.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

I don’t know what you want, to render into sackcloth and ashes while wailing at the sky?

I feel like that's not asking too much...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rooting for the Colts is the only answer.

Luck was buried in some radioactive swamp next to Chernobyl and emerged better than ever. Civil war general, quarterback, greatness. Expect him in some superhero franchise film in the future.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Eh, I'll pass.

I'll allow it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
But yes, all of that is to say gently caress the Saints forever.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

weird Asian candy posted:

I feel like that's not asking too much...

I’ll see if I can find some sackcloth on Amazon.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

If the Chargers dont win I hope the Patriots win because people will be mad.

KC Dallas is my hell superbowl

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

a neat cape posted:

If the Chargers dont win I hope the Patriots win because people will be mad.

KC Dallas is my hell superbowl

What is wrong with you?

Now I unironically hope it is a KC Dallas superbowl just to make you miserable.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wouldn't mind a Chiefs Cowboys Superbowl, because my dad is a Cowboys fan and has been since the mid 80s, so the poo poo talking would get cranked up to 11 for two solid weeks. That sounds fun.

Silly Burrito posted:

I don't know what you want

Literally any indication that it was an abominable thing to do or that you care a single drat bit about the human consequences of the whole thing. So far we've gotten "everybody else did it too" and "it sucks the fallout hurt my team".

I didn't think that was a lot, but apparently it might be.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Reading his Wiki page...yikes...I knew it was bad, I didn't realize it was THAT bad...

Yeah, it's loving gross. It's not like Greggg is any kind of legendary talent that's worth compromising morally for either. He's a middle tier, kind of lovely DC that still gets a job because the NFL doesn't give a gently caress about it's players.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'm still mad that Gregg's suspension ended up being a week shorter than Payton's.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Holy poo poo

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Chiefs/Eagles would be good for the obvious Andy Reid revenge/Big Dick Nick II story lines.

Chargers/Saints would be cool since it’s likely the last big shot for both QB’s who are both too good not to have a ring. Also, they were traded for one another, so they can settle the argument of who got the better deal right then and there. I know in reality, it was one of the best trades ever for either side, but still.

I’d personally be pulling for Rivers and the Chargers, he’s played so good regardless of if the rest of the team or the coaches staff was imploding, or arguably some of the worst ownership decisions of all time.

Brees is a cool dude and he deserves one just as much. He’s also a perennial thorn in my side as a Bucs fan. Also, I’m not a big fan of Sean Payton, but I can’t deny his talent.

The Cowboys and Patriots can have a Super Bowl if I can be guaranteed that they both get swallowed up by a massive sinkhole, never to be seen again.

I like the Rams team, but Kroenke can go gently caress himself, and he doesn’t have someone like Philip Rivers to make me overlook that fact.

Colts are OK. If Luck can manage to take them all the way, it would defy a lot of people who were already calling him a bust. I also like it when people bounce back from that many lost seasons due to injuries. I would have despised the Colts for losing Manning and having Luck fall into their lap and just pick up where he left off. But now we’ve got some adversity, which makes it much more interesting.

tl;dr: anyone but the Patriots or Cowboys. Not just this year, but every year until jai alai overtakes football as America’s sport.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Laslow posted:

Chargers/Saints would be cool since it’s likely the last big shot for both QB’s who are both too good not to have a ring. Also, they were traded for one another, so they can settle the argument of who got the better deal right then and there. I know in reality, it was one of the best trades ever for either side, but still.

I’d personally be pulling for Rivers and the Chargers, he’s played so good regardless of if the rest of the team or the coaches staff was imploding, or arguably some of the worst ownership decisions of all time.

Brees is a cool dude and he deserves one just as much. He’s also a perennial thorn in my side as a Bucs fan. Also, I’m not a big fan of Sean Payton, but I can’t deny his talent.

Brees has a ring.

They were not traded for each other

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I desperately want the Chargers to win

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Playoff Rooting pro-tip:
GO COWBOYS!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Bananana posted:

Playoff Rooting pro-tip:
GO COWBOYS!

I’ll cheer for the cowboys now that we aren’t gonna hire Richard

It would be funny to see McVay bounced after everyone hired his gardener and personal chef and uncle rick as their coaches

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am rooting for Anthony Walker, Jr., Austin Carr, and JUSTIN JACKSON THE FUCKIN' BALL CARRIER

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Laslow posted:

:psyduck:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That time when the Saints drafted Rivers and then traded him to the Chargers for Brees

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Dagen H posted:

That time when the Saints drafted Rivers and then traded him to the Chargers for Brees

That was my favorite golf moment from the 1996 Tour Championship.
Man, Chubbs Peterson sure can draft 'em.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Happy learned how to punt!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Ehud posted:

I’ll cheer for the cowboys now that we aren’t gonna hire Richard

It would be funny to see McVay bounced after everyone hired his gardener and personal chef and uncle rick as their coaches

Even if the Rams lost 100-0 today there’s no way McVay gets fired

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DariusLikewise posted:

Even if the Rams lost 100-0 today there’s no way McVay gets fired

K? I wasn't saying anything would happen to McVay lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Ehud posted:

K? I wasn't saying anything would happen to McVay lol

Oh you just meant the Rams losing, I took bounced as getting fired

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ref just shoved the poo poo out of some dude. :lol:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DariusLikewise posted:

Oh you just meant the Rams losing, I took bounced as getting fired

you guys should definitely fire him tho and it has nothing to do with the fact that my team has the lone coaching vacancy left

lol he wouldn’t take the job anyways

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Brees has a ring.

They were not traded for each other
I totally blanked on that. I formally retract every positive statement regarding Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints organization expressly stated or implied.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Laslow posted:

I totally blanked on that. I formally retract every positive statement regarding Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints organization expressly stated or implied.

:hmmyes:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

well ive finally read this thread and im gonna cheer for the patriots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Zyla posted:

well ive finally read this thread and im gonna cheer for the patriots