Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Claeaus posted:

I did some doodling yesterday.

this is pretty sweet duder

edit: whoops and if anyone missed it Crayon did a nice breakdown of recognizing digital vs traditional stuff on the last page; sorry for breakin into a new page Crayon!

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

So it's not just me then? I'm a tradesman and truck driver. Tools have that effect on those that use them.
Art supplies are indeed a tool, and in the same way, it's good to buy as you need them.

I would say that, if you plan to spent a decent chunk of change on art supply stuff, get an easel as a pretty high priority. They don't have to be super expensive (you can probably get a small, portable desktop easel for <$100) and will make your drawings look a lot better. Drawing on a piece of paper that's on a table will always result in a somewhat distorted drawing because you have to compensate for your perspective (unless you hunch over it in a really awkward way). Even if you don't want to buy an easel, keep that in mind and rig something up with whatever you have around to make sure you're looking at your drawing straight-on instead of at an angle.

And as far as buying markers, pencils, paints, etc, I'd say it's a good idea to shy away from sets. Even if it costs, say, 30% less per piece, you'll probably only use a third of them. Get a few basics (monochrome shades, maybe a few useful colors like dark red, orange, yellow, up to you) and then buy-as-you-need, getting multiples of what you use more and colors that you notice you really need.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Stupid question: How do you do these [......]? Are they digital, or drawings? I don't know how to tell, and I'd like to try the medium. It reminds me of Archie comics.

As Crayon already pointed out in the excellent breakdown, that piece, as well as the vast majority of my work, is done digitally. The way I do things makes it much easier to tell than for others. I tend to focus on making very clear and precise line work, which is much harder to pull off traditionally.

For actually making these I use a digital pen tablet and Krita. You can find some recordings of past drawings on my youtube. The actual tablets I use are Wacom, though I would probably recommend against them at first if you do want to make the dive into digital at one point, as they are very pricey and there's very good competitors that are much more affordable out there nowadays.

I'd recommend sticking with traditional for a while first in any case though.

Argue posted:

I've never made a real art with Procreate before let alone ~dark arts~; am I too late to the witch party

(time lapse here)

Never too late to a witch party! I really like how the entire picture evokes a fiery inferno. The lighting on her face makes her look rather intimidating too, very nice.

I hope to draw more witches tomorrow, for today I only have a very quick sketch of a young lady.

I'm sure her parents would think she's a witch, so maybe that counts.

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit
still enjoying loving around in this new program

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Quick coloring for the witch... I seem to be liking it less and less the more I do with it, so I think I'm done with it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

a hole-y ghost posted:

And as far as buying markers, pencils, paints, etc, I'd say it's a good idea to shy away from sets. Even if it costs, say, 30% less per piece, you'll probably only use a third of them. Get a few basics (monochrome shades, maybe a few useful colors like dark red, orange, yellow, up to you) and then buy-as-you-need, getting multiples of what you use more and colors that you notice you really need.

This is very good advice and I agree with it. Currently on the road for two weeks and I brought 4 markers, W1, W3, W5 and W7 (W=Warm Grey) and this allows me to do the most things I want. (of course, a mechanical pencil, an eraser, a fineliner and a small brush pen are in my bag too). Finally: the materials do not keep me from sucking, that is what practise is for but yeah, that is hard.

Like drawing witches!
Before coloring:

After coloring:

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You tend to develop an eye ....

No poo poo.

That was an amazing post. I took a screenshot for future reference.

It would've taken me years to get all of that together. Thank you.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hopping onto the bandwagonbroom

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Can I keep all of you?

a hole-y ghost posted:

Crayon did a nice breakdown of recognizing digital vs traditional stuff on the last page; sorry for breakin into a new page Crayon!

a hole-y ghost posted:

Art supplies are indeed a tool, and in the same way, it's good to buy as you need them.

It's also fun to collect them.

a hole-y ghost posted:

get an easel as a pretty high priority.

Agreed. I'll probably make my own easel. It has to be an improvement on the mess I make with charcoal.

a hole-y ghost posted:

distorted drawing because you have to compensate for your perspective (unless you hunch over it in a really awkward way).

You noticed, eh? I have injuries and need to move around a lot. I usually sit and hold [hunch over] my book, but the angle is constantly changing. Another reason for the distortion is my failing vision. I should wear glasses when I'm drawing, and do ..... sometimes. I take them off a lot in 'hold my beer' moments. They annoy the poo poo out of me, and it shows in my drawings.

a hole-y ghost posted:

I'd say it's a good idea to shy away from sets.

I'm taking this good advice too. I already have sets of markers and pencils that I don't use.

Shinmera posted:

I'd recommend sticking with traditional for a while first in any case though.

And this too. Tablets don't like me, and drawing the lorrikeet with a mouse the other night was kinda painful. I get a lot of peace from using charcoal and soft pastels, and I reckon I'll stick with those for a while.

Maybe just a couple of Copix sketch pens .......

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

heavy liquid posted:

Quick coloring for the witch... I seem to be liking it less and less the more I do with it, so I think I'm done with it.

Don't give up on it. Looks great so far IMO.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

Don't give up on it. Looks great so far IMO.

Thanks! I'll get back to it. The figure/posture is off, so it'll take some reworking.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Whoop, didn't realise there was a new thread!

Hey guys, aint posted in a fairly long time but I recently decided to buy some mechanical pencils and Ive been loving about with traditional media alot!

Recently I drew a Southern Dandy! Have to say some mechanical pencils have been an absolutely perfect investment, it really does feel like a much better drawing experience.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I've been busy making GBS threads up being a productive tarot artist in Spinderella's tarot thread.

As you can clearly see, they all use the original tarot cards as bases. Ironically, I'm so slow at cut & paste nitpicking that doing the shitposter, spaceship and pua like this took me way longer than it would've done to just redraw the whole thing.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Thank you Sharpest Crayon!
I'm honored.☺

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

This might be useful for those of you who make moodboards / collect reference before working.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

with a witch comes a cat.

content
Feb 13, 2014

After two other tries, I finally made a witch I didn’t completely hate. Witches!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I bought a tablet on Tuesday, and have been trying to make sure I do at least an hour of practice a night. This has been first time I've done anything art related other than dirty mouse-drawn mspaint stuff in over 15 years.

I feel like I'm getting ok at quick sketches, but any attempt to do anything else like shading or colouring seems to end in disaster (I tried colouring this sketch and it was horrendous). I probably need to watch more videos of other people doing what I want to do, rather than image/text tutorials.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Wip; if Cronenberg and Lynch collaborated on a sweat pants solution.

Sotsa
Jul 21, 2008

Furious birdnipples.
Hi,
here's a life drawing from yesterday.

And a sort of anexity coping drawing.

Sotsa fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 15, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Hrm, images don't look the same on Chrome as they do on my iPad, or even just the default Windows image viewer. The colors are showing up kind of off from what I was seeing on Procreate and it's glaring in some areas. Do you guys postprocess iPad drawings in PS or something?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Argue posted:

Hrm, images don't look the same on Chrome as they do on my iPad, or even just the default Windows image viewer. The colors are showing up kind of off from what I was seeing on Procreate and it's glaring in some areas. Do you guys postprocess iPad drawings in PS or something?

Your monitor isn't color-calibrated as well as the ipad is

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's specifically Chrome though. Even other image viewers on the same desktop/monitor display the image right. Which I just realized means postprocessing in PS wouldn't actually do anything.

Edit: The solution was to force color profiles in chrome://flags, although now I have to wonder if I should account for Chrome's default color profile when uploading art.

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 15, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

thought a frost/ice witch might be cool

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1085274657266241536?s=19
Today was a day of chunky robots.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

heavy liquid posted:

thought a frost/ice witch might be cool

The one time, ONE TIME where you could've used mittens to cover up hands so you wouldn't need to draw them, and look at you loving it up by drawing them anyway.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A bit late but here's my contribution on the witches:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ack I keep not postin stuff in here, here's a little doodle I did today. I accidentally got some water drops on it though and made holes :sweatdrop:

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Agreed. I'll probably make my own easel. It has to be an improvement on the mess I make with charcoal.
thats a good idea if you're a decent carpenter, as I've found that bought easels, even pretty expensive ones, are usually not very sturdily built

e: also I know you didn't take offense but the distorted drawings thing wasn't at all a dig at your drawing specifically, it's just a general tip I like to give as it happens to everyone :evilbuddy:

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 16, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hi! I've been drawing a bunch off and on while I went on vacation!

Here's some things I made as gifts for friends!

Here's some stuff I drew while I was at AGDQ!

And here's some things I drew so I could get back caught up on things!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The one time, ONE TIME where you could've used mittens to cover up hands so you wouldn't need to draw them, and look at you loving it up by drawing them anyway.

:doh: I was thinking gloves and didn't even consider mittens!

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 16, 2019

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

my buddy Superfly posted:

Here's some stuff I drew while I was at AGDQ!

At least concentrating on your sketchbook meant you didn't have to watch Mohawk & Headphone Jack, so that was a good decision.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Theokotos posted:

Wip; if Cronenberg and Lynch collaborated on a sweat pants solution.

I just wanted to say I'd be all over this. gently caress everything, I'm a warm comfortable worm from now on, this is my life.

I'm digging the hell outta this. It's like a headache in picture form. This .. uh, I wish I knew proper words, "ugly people and weird angles" approach is something I've tried and failed to get a handle on so many times.

Love the colour blends! Now animate the sky :unsmigghh:

If there's something I love, it's jumping on bandwagons. Kitty witch!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

in a few days I will be home and have access to all colors again.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 17, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Felt like fleshing this one out a bit since the sketch was so rough.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

My first composition in... awhile. I think it shows (that middle highlight needs to be on the left) but I'm reasonably satisfied with it

I've been enjoying getting closer back to my roots (not to say the printing isn't fun), and these 6x6 tiles I've been working on are a blast. Big enough to be comfortable, but small enough to keep me from getting in too deep.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Some more great witches in here, nice.

I gathered up the courage to finally try some more painting practise again, so I followed some Ctrl-Paint exercises.

Hopefully I'll keep at it.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Was peeling some hardboiled eggs today and wanted to draw a sad egg so here it is:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a Behelit and for your own sake I recommend you get rid of it as fast as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Elentor posted:

That's a Behelit and for your own sake I recommend you get rid of it as fast as you can.

I hope for all our sake there isn't an eclipse happening anytime soon!

More witchy-witchcraft stuff. I have one more witch drawing I'm working on for tomorrow, and then I think it will be out of my system. I think.