Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Awwwwwwww yeah. New year, new thread!

I'm going to try and do a drawing a day. I'm sure to varying degrees of success and failure. We'll see how it goes. Might be pencil, might be digital, might be crayons. Right now it's pencil.

I've got the first four days done. 361 to go. I did the fourth day early. Sue me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You're off to a good start! With a daily grind I found that sometimes Life comes at you with special punching gloves and that you should be forgiving to yourself if your daily art turns out to be a doodle of a bunnybutt, as long as you get it done.

Thanks! I'm sure there will be many bunnybutts doodled this year. Wait, that's not what I meant.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Here's a neural blowout:

I just noticed him reading "HACK", well done!

my buddy Superfly posted:

I would like to at the very least reach 1000 drawings which I might some time this year. In general I kinda just want to keep doing daily drawings for as long as I possibly can.

Also here dog.

1000 drawings this year! And I thought I was crazy for trying to do 365.
Love the dog at the heater bonfire, by the way! Even dogs need to replenish their estus every now and then.

Here's no. 5. A friendly fellow wearing his boxers a bit too high.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 5, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Elentor posted:

Drew a friend's D&D druid character:

I like this!

I also drew someone else's character:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I've never done a redraw before, and finally decided to do one. I was looking at an old drawing in my sketchbook and found the original reference photo, so I gave it a shot. The original drawing is from 2 years ago.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The improvement is well visible, but my favourite is how well your newer version captures a mood - the soft shading really makes a change.

Thanks! I've been using the side of the pencil more than the point, which allows for smoother lines and better shading.

ps. love the tail hat. Gotta keep your extremities warm.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Playing around with the sorceress sketch from this morning...

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Hello, I like the look of this place. I'm a fledgling artist, learning by doing I guess. I don't have time (or patience) for structured learning, and my biggest problem is inspiration.

What you people call "doodles" is a bit confronting. I hope stupid questions are OK here, coz I have heaps.

Anyway, I doodled a 'witch' (she has cats eyes) in honour of my thread invasion.

Welcome! Bring on the stupid questions, we'll try to answer. Don't worry about structured learning. If you're just putting some pencil to paper daily, you're bound to get better. That's honestly a bigger challenge that it seems.

Shinmera posted:

Witches are cool and their designs are fun. Draw a witch today!

Okay then! Here's my witch:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

I really like this one! This year is a slow start drawing wise. I just have too many 3d stuff taking up my time and the hard truth is 3d takes MUCH longer to create than 2d. That is why typically a 2d concept phase happens faster than the 3d production phase. *ugh*

Thanks! I've only done a bit of 3D work, but yeah... it really does take a LOT longer. I plan on trying to do more painting, which takes me 10 times as long as linework. I'm not sure if that's how it is in general, or because I'm not comfortable with it, yet. Maybe a bit of both?

Shinmera posted:

Since I skimped out on drawing yesterday I decided, what the hell, might as well do this now while the inspiration is fresh.

I actually prefer Heavy Liquid's original sketch though so I don't know what I achieved with this.

Hey, cool! It's always fun to see different interpretations of your work! Funnily enough, I've been working on cleaning up the witch a bit. Might as well keep the witch thing going for a bit longer. :P I guess I'll count this as an early day 12. I'll probably color it later, like the sorceress.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 12, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Quick coloring for the witch... I seem to be liking it less and less the more I do with it, so I think I'm done with it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

Don't give up on it. Looks great so far IMO.

Thanks! I'll get back to it. The figure/posture is off, so it'll take some reworking.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

thought a frost/ice witch might be cool

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The one time, ONE TIME where you could've used mittens to cover up hands so you wouldn't need to draw them, and look at you loving it up by drawing them anyway.

:doh: I was thinking gloves and didn't even consider mittens!

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 16, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Felt like fleshing this one out a bit since the sketch was so rough.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Elentor posted:

That's a Behelit and for your own sake I recommend you get rid of it as fast as you can.

I hope for all our sake there isn't an eclipse happening anytime soon!

More witchy-witchcraft stuff. I have one more witch drawing I'm working on for tomorrow, and then I think it will be out of my system. I think.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Witches are now officially out of my system now

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera posted:

I really enjoyed your witches! :tipshat:

Some more painting practise from me. Could have worked on it longer, but got tired.

:rimshot:

Thanks! It's always fun to do a theme. Very nice tire and spatula practice, btw!

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 20, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

because who doesn't love goats?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

And the first contender for our "Biggest Blep" award shows up out of the blue!

Move over Shinmera, I'm muscling in on your turf with the straightest of lines!

Yes! I'm a contender!

Love the cat and the spiky ear hair. Background makes me think it's in the Fortress of Solitude. Supercat?

Early day 25

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

Hey all, I could do with some feedback. I've been working on a tarot card set, going for a psychadelic post-apoc vibe, but I've really stalled out, feel completely uninspired by the project at the moment. Here's some of what I've got so far:

Is the colourscheme just too much? Like, I can't imagine anyone using them to do a tarot reading with, but does that matter, would people be buying them just as nice images? Am I making the characters/archetypes too removed from the real world?

Basically I'm tying myself in second-guessing knots, and any feedback would be helpful, might help me figure out where I'm going with this, if I want to shitcan the project and start on something else, change the style, or what.

I like the color scheme, it definitely gives them a cool psychedelic black-light look. I also like the characters, and don't think they're too removed from the real world. You're going for an over the top post-apocalyptic look, and I think it succeeds.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Keetron posted:

Not sure where else to ask, but is there like a website that gives a daily or weekly prompt and a list of submissions to that prompt, (maybe allowing upvoting by those who submitted) or something similar?
Or should it be made?

Something like Sketch Daily on Reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SketchDaily

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

Been really struggling lately with depression-stuff, so it was good to break the drought today, even if I didn't get masses done:

Rando photo study

My friend looking weirdly Judge Dredd.

Nice sketches! The bottom one reminds me a bit of Emo Philips

One month completed... a little bit early! 11 to go

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

gently caress yo eyeballs.

e:

You draw my cat idiot!

:o It really is your cat, haha! Love how relaxed he/she is just chillin on the couch with you.
I also dig the colors you used for the skull.

Crocobile posted:

I've been taking a weekly academic life-drawing class! 24 hour pose (8 weeks, 3 hour sessions)!! We're a little over half way. I'm drawing on Ingres paper, which has a SECRET GRID slightly debossed in it. The first couple sessions were taking measurements and plotting everything out, which the grid made waaaaay easier. The paper can't hold a ton of value though, so I can't capture as much detail as I can see but it's been forcing me to simplify which is a fun puzzle. The model is incredible. Vine and compressed charcoal, black Verithin & Col-erase pencils, stumps, and an eraser pencil.

Nice lifedrawing! Looking really great so far. I've never gone beyond a 8 hour pose I think. I'm not sure if I would be able to keep my focus for a 24 hour pose.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lol thanks Sharpest Crayon! And I LOOOVE the foodkitties!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

And now I've actually used the thing! I am really rusty, I've not been drawing people much recently and it shows:

How is it I got worse as I had more time? (The answer is 'trying to do too much', adding complexity rather than doing basics well.)

e: I think also that I lost the flow of the gesture on the 25m one - compared to the curves of the 5m one it's all clumsy angles and yuk.

That happens to me allll the time. I usually like my sketches better than the stuff I work longer on because it's looser and has more spontaneity. I'm working on it, but it's not easy.