Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

messin around w permanent marker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Today I thought "Yeah my lizardperson is shaping up, well, maybe I should try to stop hiding behind claw-feet and do a proper pair of boots too" and well what do you know, normal people boots look really out of place on lizard-people.
"Maybe they look out of place 'cause she has no other clothes!"
Then I tried to give her more clothes and since I wasn't doing proper thinking, I went with my Default Clothes, turtleneck shirt and shorts.

"Now my badass lizard-woman is wearing teenager gear that's badly outdated. Do I .. do I give her tits to make her look older? Why would a lizard even have tits? That's it I'm done for today."
give her one of those ribbed waterproof vests that old chinese people wear when walking around the neighboorhood, that should do the trick

no but seriously though looks good but imo the eyes are too frontal for a lizard person

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

tried to make more permanent marker drawings but they kept coming out lovely and then my marker dried out, so I just drew a charcoal sketch.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Reptilian witch of the trachemydine variety

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

heavy liquid posted:

Thanks! I've only done a bit of 3D work, but yeah... it really does take a LOT longer. I plan on trying to do more painting, which takes me 10 times as long as linework. I'm not sure if that's how it is in general, or because I'm not comfortable with it, yet. Maybe a bit of both?
depends on what kind of painting you do. to me it looks like you have a very systematic style, so really the sky's the limit with how long a painting can take. If you just paint everything all in one sitting it won't really take that long though

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

just a couple of simple pen doodles today.

nothin' like simple pen drawings to remind me of how poor my motor skills are

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Claeaus posted:

I did some doodling yesterday.

this is pretty sweet duder

edit: whoops and if anyone missed it Crayon did a nice breakdown of recognizing digital vs traditional stuff on the last page; sorry for breakin into a new page Crayon!

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

So it's not just me then? I'm a tradesman and truck driver. Tools have that effect on those that use them.
Art supplies are indeed a tool, and in the same way, it's good to buy as you need them.

I would say that, if you plan to spent a decent chunk of change on art supply stuff, get an easel as a pretty high priority. They don't have to be super expensive (you can probably get a small, portable desktop easel for <$100) and will make your drawings look a lot better. Drawing on a piece of paper that's on a table will always result in a somewhat distorted drawing because you have to compensate for your perspective (unless you hunch over it in a really awkward way). Even if you don't want to buy an easel, keep that in mind and rig something up with whatever you have around to make sure you're looking at your drawing straight-on instead of at an angle.

And as far as buying markers, pencils, paints, etc, I'd say it's a good idea to shy away from sets. Even if it costs, say, 30% less per piece, you'll probably only use a third of them. Get a few basics (monochrome shades, maybe a few useful colors like dark red, orange, yellow, up to you) and then buy-as-you-need, getting multiples of what you use more and colors that you notice you really need.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 13, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ack I keep not postin stuff in here, here's a little doodle I did today. I accidentally got some water drops on it though and made holes :sweatdrop:

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Agreed. I'll probably make my own easel. It has to be an improvement on the mess I make with charcoal.
thats a good idea if you're a decent carpenter, as I've found that bought easels, even pretty expensive ones, are usually not very sturdily built

e: also I know you didn't take offense but the distorted drawings thing wasn't at all a dig at your drawing specifically, it's just a general tip I like to give as it happens to everyone :evilbuddy:

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 16, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Was peeling some hardboiled eggs today and wanted to draw a sad egg so here it is:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

haven't posted much lately (just been doing simple drawing exercises like circles and lines mostly to improve my coordination/dexterity with pen on paper) so here's something:

study of my eye

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Madonna and Child, early 21st century, Our Lady of Perpetual Hip, Portland, OR

God drat did I screw up the size of her head
don't worry it looks cool! religious iconography is not known for adhering strictly to realistic proportions anyway

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Crocobile posted:

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get into something closer to a daily drawing habit. Fostering healthy habits is hard!

Here's some life drawings! They vary from 5 to 20 mins.
those are gorgeous studies!!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Drawing Throsby fanart. This lovely gal is Trinketjuice, a model on a mission to save her world from nuclear war by making love to the president. I'm not kidding.
Thorsby fanart :wth: ah man I need to get around to doing some sometime, his comics are absolutely mad

anyways. messin about with eyesore colors

i've gotta make some new brushes for digital stuff, these ones are getting a bit tired

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

I continue to draw star trek and star trek adjacent things for fun, gooferiously

very impressive trek :waycool:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

testin out a photoshop brush i made

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Al ! posted:

ok i guess winter SAD must be a thing because besides a couple of manic episodes i've been barely been able to eek out anything since january, i mostly just stab at my tablet for a while hoping some line will catch my fancy, give up and go play video games
Oh, it's definitely a thing. You can get lights to help with that (especially during the nighttime).

e: vvv I love it... you manage to make something dead and dark look so alive with just a little movement :allears:

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 7, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Haven't posted anything in here for ages, so I guess it's about time.
Wanted to draw something cyberpunkesque, so I drew... a woman with a funny looking box on her head :shrug:

e: nitpick-changed something

e(2): ugghh I need to go to sleep and stop fiddling with this. last nitpick

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 17, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

real quick digital study before bed

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

another (less quick than the last) head study

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

This one's quite nice! The strong contrast of the lines towards the horizon really gives the impression of a bright sky.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Thanks! I'm not sure why, but I'm feeling pretty good about these ocean related ones in general.

May

Yeah, the colors and the whole faded-lines-under-the-surface thing is working quite well.

Anyways, been drawing my hand a lot for practice with pens. Here are some of the less rubbish ones:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

lofi posted:

Thems some good hands! Now let's see the other one.
In a less-than-surprising turn of events, the left hand didn't fare as well when pressed to reciprocate:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

lofi posted:

That's pretty drat good for offhand. Man, I've not drawn offhand in ages, might have to get on that.
It's never too late to prepare for your right hand (or left, if you're a leftie) being cut off for stealing a slice of bologna.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Hello everyone! I hope some of you can help me out with a colour problem.

I've been working on a new tileset for my game, something that should be a sort of icey tundra environment. However, I just can't seem to get things to look good. It always either ends up looking either too glaring, or too boring to me when I play around with colour replacements. I would appreciate it a ton if some of you could offer some advice or ideas on how to make it look less garbage.

Here's what I have so far:

In general, the foreground should probably have more saturation, contrast, & visual detail. In your example, it's only the saturation that's lacking in the foreground.

As a general tip, putting more intense, saturated colors in the background than are in the foreground makes the background try to jump in front of the foreground. It's not always bad (e.g. silhouettes) but should be done only sparingly for effect.

As Sedgr said, snowy environments have desaturated blues and greys for color, if any at all. In nature, snowy environments have almost no color. Of course, you have a blue sky, but in nature, skies are only saturated towards the top. Here's a picture I took that shows this:

You can see it starts out grey and goes blue only towards the top.

Of course, a gradient doesn't necessarily fit this art style. This is why, when going with a flatter style, you'd probably use a desaturated sky, like in Sedgr's example.

"Warmer" colors (your reds, yellows, oranges) tend to jump out more than "cooler" colors (blues, purples, bluer greens). Check out this Sonic screenshot:

As you can see, the background is pretty darn saturated. Still, the foreground is more saturated, warmer, with strong contrast and patterns. This makes it easily stand out.

Of course, again, it depends on the environment you're trying to create, and we mentioned earlier snow environments should be less saturated. Here's a more relevant example, from Super Mario Bros. 3:

You can see that the same principles are at work here, but the colors are much less intense.

I hope that helps. Keep up the good work—I've been enjoying watching your art skills progress!

Oh, and remember: the best way to learn art is to steal techniques from a better artist :xd: so look at similar scenes from your favorite games

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The moon, I think, needs a little more noise and blur to fit in. The font looks nice (I find this more readable than the last, but that's obviously not a huge factor in an album cover) but could use a little bit of distress/texture, something to make it look like it's either part of the print, or written on with a marker/brush. I don't think stars would really fit in as the sky doesn't seem dark enough to reveal stars.

e: V V V I hope it doesn't run into an unfortunate accident involving onion torpedoes into a thermal duct

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 2, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

I think the white lettering pops more. as for time/date stamps, don't polaroids have those on the back of the picture?

e: VVV yeah but I don't think any polaroids did the burned in stamps. none of the ones I used at least, maybe someone else knows

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 3, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

head study

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

lofi posted:

I've not completely, but collapsable fishing stools look like the way to go. A bottle of water, a plastic mug, a watercolour tin that fits two brushes in, I don't think I could trim it down much more.
yeah these are alright. I havent done for watercolour so I haven't had to deal with spills, but these stools tend to have soft fabric seats.
if you want a less bouncy surface for your cans, maybe you could also fit a rectangle of masonite in your backpack long enough to go from edge to edge of the stool, to give a flat surface for your cans.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Tayacan posted:

I've been trying to get better at proportions by measuring where things are relative to other things in the drawing. I think I'm getting better at it?
You are!
Take note that the seemingly simple act of learning to measure where things are relative to other things will be an unending struggle.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shinmera posted:

Apologies for what :confused: looks good to me!

I, on the other hand, have to apologise for not having drawn in many days until today. If I wanted excuses I could say I was ill, busy with my game, and so forth, but really, the reason is that I was feeling rather defeatist and depressed about it for a while and just couldn't get over that.

Anyway, today I finally did something: September

oh my gosh never stop doing these water scenes :swoon:

e: how do you plan out these sorts of scenes anyway? I've wanted to do cool environment art for a while but have never been very successful at it

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shinmera posted:

I hope that explains what you were asking about?
Yeah! Thanks, I love process stuff!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

step 1, draw a few circles
step 2,

:swoon:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Shinmera posted:

This one's really nice! The brush strokes and colour give it a lot of intensity.

November:

wowee :wth:

e: for content: here's a head study

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 10, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Keetron posted:

Day 11 of #sketchtember: Moth.
I like moth. I do not like the placement of moth, the page ran out.

This poo poo is hard.
drawing stuff that gets cut off is Good and Builds Character because you have to force yourself not to shrink stuff as you get closer to the edge

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

oh heres another head study, this time w marker

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Revol posted:

I'm also planning to do these drawings streamed on Twitch on a set schedule. I think that will help me keep that daily schedule.
know yet what time you're planning to stream? I'd probably drop in

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Revol posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/pixillateme - My plan is to stream nightly at around midnight EST, give or take an hour. Tonight, I think I'm gonna try to start at 11, because I want to catch the midnight unlocking of Borderlands 3.
aw thats well within my sleepy time sorry :angel:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Revol posted:

I'm struggling, I feel lost. No frustration, just an aimlessness. I feel like I need structure. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial, or maybe even an online class, on the fundamentals? I especially would like to learn the basics of lines and sketching. I feel like I'm missing something there.
for beginning drawing books, I like The Art of Drawing by Willy Pogany, you should be able to find it on a digital library or something like Internet Archive. it has some good basic techniques and warm up exercises to build dexterity and spatial awareness when drawing (a lot of which I still use regularly)

I would recommend avoiding color if you want to improve your skill in drawing shapes and structure; color will just overcomplicate things for now and serve as a distraction. Using pen or other non-erasable physical media will build up good habits, as erasing will take up too much time (better to start a new drawing), especially when starting out. Also, learning on digital media will probably be slower, as there's less direct tactile feedback

e: of course if streaming is helping you keep on drawing, there's nothing that wrong with staying digital other than what I said above

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 14, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

holy poo poo cartys here :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

heres an underwater scene I started a good while ago inspired by those water scenes Shinmera did in this thread but I kinda gave up and then finally finished it, anyways here it is I think I got the colors kind of wrong but oh well