Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nice.

Would learn Kung Fu at that temple/dojo

I haven't drawn anything in probably a decade and haven't taken an art class since grade school some 20+ years ago (feelin' old :corsair:)

But I've been suckered into watercolour painting because of a YouTuber named Shibasaki. To that end I've started sketching to try to give myself a base to put watercolours to. My first watercolour turned out as a mess but I enjoyed it anyway. My next picture is going to be a poison arrow frog so I sketched one from a picture I took of the internet. I mostly wanted to see if I could sketch well enough that I wouldn't have to try to trace/grid a frog onto watercolour paper and this was the result.

I used a 2h pencil and 0.2 felt tip pen. Just as well I did use the pen or the scan would be invisible. You can barely see the leaf he's sitting on. I felt like I did well enough that I could sketch it on to watercolour paper so I'm feeling pretty chipper. I was expecting far worse since I have no formal training and haven't tried to draw anything properly in such a long time, and it's not like I was artsy as a kid either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm using Strathmore 400 cold press 300gsm paper in a book. I will try Archer in the not too distant future. I am using sable hair brushes and Windsor and Newton paints. I hadn't given a thought to palette material at this point. The drawing is in addition to painting. I don't intend to hold back on painting "until I'm ready" because as you said, there's plenty to learn in paints.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hadn't thought of that, I assumed the beading was as a result of my local water. Interesting

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm the ballsack. which should be its own card :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I redrew my poison dart frog onto my watercolour paper and I'm kind of shocked just how much better it is (imo). Took me about the same time as the sketch on the right. I've fiddled with the camera settings to make it easier to see. The picture is actually quite faint on the watercolour paper.

Just need to grab a a few paints tomorrow (and hopefully my new brushes arrive in the mail) and I can start. Should be a good weekend project.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Doing it again forced me to consider the proportion more. I think it helped that I had to spend less concentration trying to get my hand to do what I wanted to do so I could focus more on the details I missed or got wrong the first time. I also used basic geometric shapes to get the major components roughly the right size and placement because when I first did it on the watercolour paper, I tried it in landscape orientation and found myself running out of room and not having it properly centred. Going portrait and drawing some circles for the head, eyes, body etc to "contain" them helped.

Edit:

Good news! I'm going to get even more practice drawing that same frog because I watched the video about different papers and the presenters experience with Strathmore 400 paper mirrors my own and it seems I won't be able to blend colours in the way I need to. So I'm on the 100% cotton train now. However I don't see that arches does their paper in a visual diary/book form like I want, so I'm going to try Windsor and Newton 100% cotton and see how it goes. Apparently I need to do everything the wrong way first. :downs:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 9, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

Told ya. :colbert:

Link to the 100% cotton book?

https://www.eckersleys.com.au/winsor-newton-hard-bound-water-colour-visual-journals

Edit:

To be fair, the Strathmore stuff would be perfectly fine for flat painting or cartoon illustration, or even just basic draft painting it's just I need to do some wet on wet blending for this. I may even use it for that basic flat stuff down the line.

Also that video about palettes makes the observation that an enamel coat over plastic does a decent job of mimicking porcelain behaviour. I bought a metal paint box with enamel coating on the mixing areas so we'll see how it goes when it arrives.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 9, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

Heh, not sold in Europe, but thank you for the link.
About the porcelain, I just like the weight of it as much as the behaviour, metal can feel flimsy.

Yeah I get that. For now I'm prioritising being able to pack stuff away and also take it with me so I'm going with metal for now.

My brushes didn't arrive in the mail today so I won't be doing the frog on W&N cotton paper this weekend. :saddowns:

So I decided to do it on the Strathmore I have with the brushes I have. It's all practice and I think it would be good to compare to when I do it on cotton paper.

I'm also probably going to build my own paint selection of Daniel Smith paints once I get my metal paint box/palette.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

And he isn't wearing KISS makeup and thrashing a star shaped guitar why?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brushes came in so I decided to take a crack at the poison dart frog on the Strathmore 400 paper. This was the result. I might repost it when I have access to a scanner because I'm not sure my phone photo captures it properly. I also did a test painting on the cotton Windsor and Newton paper. I didn't really have a plan or proper reference for that one so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 11, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Those black stripes hide a multitude of sins. If I'd done any other type of dart frog it would look poo poo house.

I also cheated. The white highlights are white gouache.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

That came out really sweet. The gouache highlights is how you are supposed to do it, it is far from cheating such as using a white uni-ball signo gel pen. At least the gouache is water based.
I was wondering how you got the layering done on the black and still got the stripes color so nice. The shadows are cool too. This one is enjoyable and I look forward to your future postings here.

This weekend was a motorcycle trip with my brother to Germany and I have some little chapel in the works that should be done in a few days. For now, here is a super fast thing I did while waiting for dinner. Amazing how low standards are for people to be all like "ZOMG THAT IS AMAZING"

Came back from the motorcycle trip to see my brushes all over my desk, I suspect my 5yo...

Colored in the chapel

The short answer was patience and using the black to cover up the mess. I used plain water on the whole torso of the frog and then dabbed the colours at each end. I let it do as much as I could by itself, and used yellow to try to blend between the green and orange. I only think it worked because the orange and green I used were not very opaque and the yellow was a common base colour between the two so it didn't produce an overt "edge" between the colours despite using wood paper. Even then I had to move the paint around a bit while it was sitting on the surface to stop it separating. The untidiest bits I tried to move under where I knew the black stripes were going to be. Then I let the whole thing dry out naturally (no hairdryer). Then I used ivory black for the stripes. It took 2 coats (waited until the first coat was dry) to get that dark. It's pretty opaque to start with (Windsor and Newton Cotman ivory black). Very hard to use in mixtures with anything else as it's overpowering, bit if you need a deep black, you get it. Then highlights with the white to help make the black look like shiny wet frog skin rather than just a flat black slab.

If I did it again I'd be braver with the black. Faster brush strokes would probably have helped make it less wobbly.

heavy liquid posted:

I've always liked using the woodless graphite pencils for large drawings. Usually on the softer side, like 4B or 6B. Using the side of the pencil, it lets me lay down really thick lines that gets more and more defined as I progress on the drawing. You just have to be careful not to drop them, because they'll snap into two or three pieces if they land on a hard floor.

More dry erase board drawings:

I haven't watched that show since cartoon network at least 20 years ago but the themesong started playing on my head. Good job

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dig that face.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have access to a proper scanner today so here's my frog, scanned instead of a phone camera picture of it:

Also I did a test of the way the colours blend on cotton paper here. Much, much easier than on the Strathmore paper. It was quick to do too. I really like watercolour.

The other thing I noticed was that the Windsor and Newton cotton book paper still warps like the Strathmore, but once dried the warp goes away almost completely, unlike the Strathmore. Closing the book presses it flat and keeps it that way in a way the wood pulp doesn't. Though I found a trick that helps: gently curl the wood paper a little bit towards the side that doesn't have the picture on it and stroke the inside of the curve a bit. It kind of stretches the paper back to a more flat shape. Works better on the cotton paper too.

Long story short, I'm going to use the Strathmore just because I have it, and for unblended basic stuff it'll do the job, but it's cotton all the way for me from now on.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 13, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm using a visual journal type thing:

https://www.eckersleys.com.au/winsor-newton-hard-bound-water-colour-visual-journals

so wetting it and sticking it to a board isn't really an option. It's not a problem per se, just something I noticed. The windsor and newton stuff dries flat anyway so its not a big deal, and the strathmore journal is getting repurposed for more basic paintings/scribbles.

Eventually when I start doing the occasional big piece I'll look around. I like having stuff neatly contained in a book/journal though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

heavy liquid posted:

It's pretty crazy how different the colors are between the scanned frog and the phone pic. Would you say the scanned image is closer to the true painting?
I've noticed that when I take pictures of my drawings, they can drastically change depending if I'm taking the picture in direct sunlight, shade, time of day, incandescent vs. florescent light, etc.

Hyenas are weird and creepy.

I'd say so. I took the photo inside under a yellowish light so that put a wash on it that wasn't there. The scan is closer if a bit more vivid and sharp than it actually is. I think some of the tiny shadows caused by the paper texture is lost in the scan. The colours are close though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You should. A night sky/nebula is something I definitely want to do and may end up being one of my "big" paintings once I have more practice.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Top right is just a portrait of me. Stay away from my windows you weirdo.

Also the Ausgbs thread asked me to paint a lime bong, so I did:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 18, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Really dig that portrait.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ugh.

I spent ages trying to sketch out a scene for painting the other day but I just couldn't get it right and erased the whole thing. Got an itch to do some painting today but I'm stuck at work. Also my Daniel Smith paints haven't arrived from the UK yet. :saddowns:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Did another painting that I don't hate.

I will repost when I have access to a scanner.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I got a text message from my postal service that I have a package, which means my daniel smith paints have arrived. :yaybutt:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Got my Daniel Smith paints home and loaded them into the pans of my paintbox. I'm glad I got the smaller tubes because aside from saving money, they look like they'll go a long way. Also I got some on my fingers and gat dayum they carry a lot of pigment in such tiny tubes. :stare:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I tested out my Daniel Smith paints today, just doing some colour swatches and drat, the colours are good. Just goes to show how much pigment is in them. Now I have to think of something nice to paint with them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My arches watercolour pad and block came through the mail today, so I guess I'll be spending the weekend figuring out what the fuss is all about and which type I like better. probably block because I'm lazy and don't want to stretch it if I don't have to.

Also I have my nice paints, so now I just need to work on the not being poo poo at painting part.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Haven't done anything with it yet! When I do I'll definitely post it here.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Al! posted:

went and talked to my stepdad who is a real rear end painter, he suggested i go get a watercolor block but holy crap they're expensive

Define expensive.

I paid about $45 AUD for a block of 12in by 9in arches watercolour block with 20 sheets shipped from the UK. Just over $2 a page seemed reasonable to me, butt YMMV.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Been on a Shibasaki binge recently and my new bigger brush has arrived so hopefully I'll have some new stuff to post soon. Fingers crossed

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

First painting with the new brush and paper setup didn't go well. Waiting for it to dry, but not hopeful. :/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Keetron posted:

You owe us an attempt, I am really curious about your stuff.

It's a bin job. Not posting it. I plan to have another crack at it since I like the idea, just not how it turned out.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Meh.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Daniel Smith

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This one's mostly for Keetron, but I believe a lot of people here will appreciate it. Found another really good watercolour YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tsQwgVhKCk

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

Need a drawing of your unique and COMPLETELY ORIGINAL OC right now kthx

Go to deviant art and throw a metaphorical dart.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've been watching some Shibasaki videos on YouTube and that has pointed me at some other Japanese watercolour painters that I thought the thread might enjoy, so here's some links:

Shibasaki obviously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biIoj1sROnc

The Harusaki pair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztrdkSGdx8

Those two I've mentioned before. New that I've found that probably should have more followers than they do:

Sakai Yoshimoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmM2iFxIU5M

Who I really like the style of. Last is Osamu Murata who does some wildly colourful poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmmnDGFceo

Not exactly my kind of thing, but still really cool. Hope you guys enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

These rule, by the way. I was only familiar with Shibasaki, so I'm glad I have a little more variety in styles to watch.

Glad you like them, so here's another:

Found an American guy named Gary Tucker who does some excellent tonal work that's rather different from the Japanese guys and girls I've posted so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKEoNQJzsMk