Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Hello friends, haven't been around for a couple of years. Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back.
Here's a few drawings from recently. Thumbed for your scrolling convenience.

This is a commission I just did for forums user Agrinja for whomst I made some previous work. The rest are personal work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

lofi posted:

That's some sweet lighting sfx you got going there!

Also, come join us on Artdome!

Thanks.
I'll check it out.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

A D&D character drawing-

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Did a bit more work on this guy. I thought it would be good practice / advertisement to generate some random D&D characters (from here ) and draw them. This character is a human ranger (monster slayer), 51 years old, outlander (former bounty hunter).

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Nebalebadingdong posted:

haven't drawn anything in a while, made this for a friend

Cool!
Looks good.

my buddy Superfly posted:

Monstober day 24: tantarian

So cute, I love it. Nice work on the rendering.

I'm trying to do a few randomly generated, D&D 5e and maybe other ttrpg, characters. Here's another one, it's a Tabaxi(cat/jaguar people), warlock - undying (necromantic/undeath magic), investigator background.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Another D&D character:

close up:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

lofi posted:

So stylish!

pretty nice.

Here's another randomly generated D&D character (I re-rolled a couple of times, don't tell anyone)

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Monstober day 31: dogs playing dnd

Monstober day 32: ghost

I did a whole month of drawings!!

adorable :3

Here's a drawing I just finished of a d&d wizard character:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

lofi posted:

That's sweet, how long did you work on it for?

Thanks, I think about 10 hours maybe a little more. I have a bad habit of not understanding how much work the drawing will be in the planning phase.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Shinmera posted:

Been feeling real poo poo about myself a lot more often again as of late.

Can relate. Hope you cheer up. Try and make an effort to notice and feel good about positive things in your life. It helps sometimes. Sometimes you just have to feel bad for a while, I suppose.

Here's another character drawing:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Decided to work the previous drawing over in different style/technique:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

syntaxrigger posted:

My Knight's frustration. And getting over posting something online.

I took notes on some tutorial I found in hopes they would stick. I have a real trouble dividing the 'eye line' into 5 equal parts. I tried to just draw from a picture but that turned out terrible. Everything was out of proportion. This was about 2.5 hrs :(

Check out Andrew Loomis "how to draw the head and hands" it's free to download online and is a good resource. His other books are great too.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thank you for posting! I know it's terrifying to open up about something you're starting with, especially in a thread with this many talented artists in it, but it will get easier. Don't be too worried if stuff doesn't look as good as you want it to yet, art covers a wide spectrum of things to focus on so you don't need to get bummed if you can't get a handle on some of them. As long as you're drawing, it will teach you hand-eye co-ordination. Seeing how stuff fits is a skill you just gotta learn, no-one is born with it.

I know I got a linework bias but I still liked the lineworked one better. You do linework first on all your lineworkless art and then cover it up, right? You got freaking excellent linework, but I think you go a bit too soft and light when you're removing your lines - it takes out all the textures. Also I hate that I'm This Person but the sword blade is not in line with the hilt and it is killing me, did you plan it half as wide at first, oh god I'm sorry I'm nitpicking on what it objectively a great pic.

Excellent critique thank you very much. How else will I improve if I can't spot and fix mistakes? All feedback is useful. I didn't mean to cover up the linework I was just not happy with the coloring result and thought I could improve it if I re-work the image into full color. Yes, I agree with everything. I'll try to improve my texture consideration.

For the linework stuff I think maybe only simpler coloring or black and white.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

*wearing futuristic exo-armor, turning to camera* "I'm doing my part"

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

lofi posted:

That's not exo-armour that is a lollipop.

Oops. Easy to get those confused

Here's a drawing of Bayonetta a twitter friend commissioned.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

sketching, trying out brushes

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

This shapeless blob took 3 hours to draw.

Practicing to improve my brush / texture game.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

here's a mushroom dog

Also here's my favorite street fighter stage that I made for a friend of mine for his birthday!

Cool graphic! The one thing that detracts from it, I think, is the scratches on the nearby post.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Trying to put together some techniques.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Medenmath posted:

This is great, if terrifying. It also inspired me to draw some much crummier Disney Afternoon fanart also.

haha cool.
Yeah, a lot of people reported the image to be frightening. I'm very happy you were inspired though :D

Here's a D&D character commission I just completed. There's 2 more to go from this player group. I hope to get more afterwards.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

here's another guy

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Neon Noodle posted:

This is cool. I did a little paint over of the ambient occlusion spots, I think if you darken them a little bit more it’ll help the solidity of the elements up against each other:

Gif:

Thanks, I'll try it!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Shinmera posted:

I want to practise more interesting angles for characters, so I did a couple of sketch studies tonight.

Only managed to save this one from the trash bin though, but didn't have the energy to properly finish it so it's real sloppy.

I like it.

Here's the guy from before with some soft shading on top and a bit of stronger highlights too. (and the eye socket was bothering me also)

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Last guy from this group:

and a group composition:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Shinmera posted:

Glad to hear! I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but that dude gives me strong Geralt vibes. The highlights look really nice, but I think you could make it stand out even more by cranking the shadow casting up to 11.

lol yeah, I felt so too. I guess people sometimes draw inspiration from popular culture for their roleplaying characters. Especially the white/silver hair part which is in itself unusual for the witcher here.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

:phone: Yes, hello, Art Police? I gotta report Hellbeard. Yeah, the guy cranking out new arts like a freaking machine? Well now they've gone and done a group pic in which a JoJo is the LEAST sexy character. Mhm, I know, it should be impossible, but there it is!

:phoneb: Ma'am this line is only for serious Art Emergencies, unless there's a Sonic OC situation or lens flares involved, we can't do a thing.

The trick is to have a minimum wage graveyard shift job where you can draw while you work!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Cartyisme posted:

Dumping some oil painterings and ink drawins.
don't got time for no resizing.

Sweet. I like the shading / color. I want to call it cel-shading but I guess I mean limited gamut? What do you call it? catch my drift?

Here's a bunch of recent stuff and a work in progress.
The wip I thought I'd color later but I'm not so sure now. I think I'll try to take it as far as I can in monochrome and then think about it. idk
Is there any recommended method of coloring a value drawing? Maybe it's a bad idea to begin with and I should have worked in color from the get-go?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

syntaxrigger posted:

I like these the most. I love the duck. The ink lines with varying line weight is pretty rad! The shading on the middle one is pretty neat. I feel like I have seen that before, that creature, but I can't place it.

:D thank you. The creature is from the Nordic Gamer Meme format I think it's a variant of wojak.

Cartyisme posted:

I remember you! I dig the artwork, the duck is great, your style as a contemporary/internet Noir feel. The grappling between the loose lines and clear definition really works for you.

As to your comments/questions about color, to be clear I'm no expert, I'm usually thinking exclusively in color from the start if I'm working with color. If it's not a black line it's just another color. Then again a lot of comics aren't thought out in color necessarily but they still manage to pop. I guess I'd say there's a sort of logic to it? Throwing down some color under a line drawing will always seem secondary. But when you think it out and put colors in competition with each other it starts to pop a bit more. Like that snake head for example. The lips are red playing off the cool green. The green is tinted more and more yellow with the light which compliments the purple shadow and the hard yellow highlights work with the orange to pop off the cool blues in the bg. The colors sort of play off each other.... "Who's on first?" Hope this sort of makes sense.

Someone once suggested a long time ago that I make paintings and mix color without ever using a black. Probably one of the more helpful suggestions I've been given. Purposefully leaving black off your palette seemed counter-intuitive until I did it long enough to realize you almost never need it.

Cool, thank you I love the term "Internet Noir". I'm adopting it. I like the technique, it's fun for me to do. I'm not sure what to do with it but I enjoy exploring it.

I've had an idea for the coloring and how to do it. I'll put the black and white layer on multiply and lay down color under it and then merge it down and then paint over it. Maybe adjust the output levels according to the colors.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Thanks for the painting tips, they were helpful. Here's an update on where I'm at. I used the multiply layer on my value drawing and some screen / soft light layers on top then I merged them and started working on the solid color. The characters, midground and background are all separated.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Probably mess with it some more later:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Scoss posted:

A few thoughts~

I think the composition would have been helped here with a bit more contrast control to add gravity to your focal areas (the characters). Specifically, I think your background is fighting a little bit with your characters for attention.

There are three compositional tools that come to mind here; value, density, and color.

Your major palette is pretty limited (green, violet, cool gray) and is largely shared across both your characters and the environment, so we can't expect to lean on it too much for creating clarity. Working with a constrained or even monochromatic palette is totally possible, but it means that the other elements have to pick up the slack, and they are also a bit muddled.

We have similar density of detail and similar middling value ranges across almost the entire canvas. As a tool for evaluating composition I often will pull out to a thumbnail view and look at my work in grayscale, and if doing this causes large swathes of the image to run together and become unclear, then I know there's Problems. When I view your piece in this way, the skeleton's spear arm is almost totally lost and much of the interior detail from the sternum down is a little hard to pick out. Almost the whole goblin character lacks for anything to draw the eye.

I took the liberty of spending like a minute with a soft brush to push some background away and slightly lighten some foreground elements, just to demonstrate the difference in readability. This is creating not only value contrast, but it quieted down some of the busier background detail in order to let the characters come forward.

Excellent critique - thank you.
How does this look, trying to improve the drawing:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Thanks for the good feedback- if I didn't mention personally I appreciate the time and effort.
couple of things- a dnd oriented commission (I've been trying to get more of these) and a quick drawing for fun / experiment

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

syntaxrigger posted:

These are pretty dope. I am really digging that skellie

Thank you. The skellington is part of a commission work. Really cool to get this kind of stuff.
Here's some more sketching / small drawings:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

lofi posted:

Where do you get your commissions from? I'm looking to find more work, but damned if I know where to get it.

Bet ya can't guess what I've been watching!

Well, I gave myself an exercise to draw D&D characters to try and showcase work examples and generate interest- because I want commissions from this demographic, I like the thematic world and visual language and I think there's a consumer base for custom art of my style there. Then I just started drawing them and posting them online in roleplaying and dnd communities- imgur, reddit, facebook, instagram, twitter etc. etc. I'm getting a couple commissions here and there but I really hope to create a steady stream of customers. Don't know if it will work out tho but I still enjoy it.

taqueso posted:

The people want stickers!

(I asked in PM if a sticker was available for a previous duck)

What's the best redbubble-like?

syntaxrigger posted:

I feel like cyberpunk howard the duck should be a sticker or something.
lol ok I'll upload to redbubble here
I'll upload the other one later...

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Here is elf. Tried a more intuitive, less structured approach - so much that the character is on a single layer O.O
I think it's a solid approach for me- I saw dramatic improvement when I adjusted some things that otherwise might get "stuck" as they were because of the structured approach.

Edit: this guy too-

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 24, 2019

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Happy Christmas for you Christian goons and Happy Hanukkah to my fellow Jews. Here is the traditional furry/sonic oriented B&W Christmas pin-up

Edit: and here's s sketch - (some reference used for the pose)

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Here's a work in progress- started out as a sketch from photo, then a sketch based on that with sci-fi twist and some changes to the pose, then I colored the character and now I guess I'll do a background, maybe supporting characters too.