Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ok, this has been my new favorite toy for the last couple of days:

https://s2p.moe/app.html

And an English language tutorial:

https://style2paints.github.io/

Its a program that will allow you to automatically color in any black and white drawing using several different AI presets. Just picking one of them without doing any touchup yourself still results in wonderful looking colored pictures.

Heres a battletech mech, the only thing I did to this was pick the AI that I thought had the nicest color pallette:

Just using the presets can lead to some goofy pictures though, like in this one it insisted on coloring in Aquas scalera black and makes her look like a Kure:

However, you can use the pallete on the side to cheat a little bit and give the program hints what color you want certain areas to be. Using these tools I was able to get a nice looking picture:

e: Just realized the trailing black thing is Johnnys scarf and the part I colored in yellow by Nina is the lapel of his coat. Whoops.

Nothing else to say, go play with this. Its extremely fun.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Thanks for this, I could see this being very addictive.

edit: Mechanical stuff is interesting too.

Daedalus1134 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 4, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That is wicked nice! :dance:

e: Tried it. Said server was too busy. :negative:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Daedalus1134 posted:

edit: Mechanical stuff is interesting too.
:yeah: though not many colour schemes work very well

i don't want to spam everything in my cutouts/technical drawings folder but the 'flatting mode' version of these makes stuff look nice in a 'inked concept art book' kind of way

sorry i don't have any monochrome anime pics

sorry

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 4, 2019

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Automatic Phos machine

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I was fiddling around trying something similar

Future Lustrous Manga Spoilers

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 4, 2019

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah this is neat

Jello Robot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 10, 2019

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

One thing I like about this is that its not perfect, but its imperfect in such a way that all the imperfections look like a style choice and not just a hosed up algorithm

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there's been a few brave people that have used this to colourize manga. i generally like the soft pallet if comes up with, but it can't really handle letters that well

example:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Houseki no kunis are cheating, let's try something harder:

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Hire me Kaoru Mori

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Meme Emulator posted:

One thing I like about this is that its not perfect, but its imperfect in such a way that all the imperfections look like a style choice and not just a hosed up algorithm

Feed it a challenging enough image and you can see it fall down a bit (probably fixable with some tweaking), but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Davincie posted:

there's been a few brave people that have used this to colourize manga. i generally like the soft pallet if comes up with, but it can't really handle letters that well
Yeah, you could cut the text out, process it, and slap the text back on if you really wanted a page done. It also struggles quite a bit with segmented areas that may not actually have complete lines around them like eyes and mouths, and i don't think there's a decent way of directing it around that, sadly.

Yak of Wrath posted:

Hire me Kaoru Mori
hella good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
Download version got posted recently on GitHub......https://github.com/lllyasviel/style2paints