Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I don't know if it counts for this topic having aired this year but happened last year but everyone who enjoyed Masashi Takeda's work last year needs to see him vs. Jun Kasai from Blood Christmas

https://rutube.ru/video/7eeaf28356336218ecfd8112503043c2

Absolutely fantastic.

Takeda is the MVP of the year guy we saw at the NYE show, right? Def gonna check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tried to watch the Volador Jr. vs Caristico match but I just couldn't take someone honking his stupid loving horn 99% of the time. Also don't want to watch it muted because I need sound in my pro wrestling. I guess what I saw was pretty impressive but Caristico looked like an absolute idiot taking all those dives right in his face.

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HOOOOOOOONNNKKKK

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Ah the authentic lucha experience.

Pretty much my experience with lucha, yes

Sadly, I guess. It's not for me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Benne posted:

HM: Shingo/BUSHI vs. Desperado/Kanemaru, NJPW New Beginning 2/3

Incredible second half

Agreed, so, SO much better than the Jr. Tag at Wrestle Kingdom

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

karmicknight posted:

nthing all of these and:

HM: 3 Feb 2019, New Beginning in Sapporo - Yoshi-Hashi/Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Chase Owens/Bad Luck Fale/Jay White

forkboy84 posted:

HM: 2nd February 2019, The New Beginning In Sapporo Night 1 - SANADA vs Minoru Suzuki
HM: 2nd February 2019, The New Beginning In Sapporo Night 1 - EVIL vs Zack Sabre Jr

Two really fun matches that build perfectly for tomorrow's IWGP Tag Team Championship clash

I’m gonna nth all of these too while I’m at it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TTBF posted:

I have no idea what Taichi vs Tetsuya Naito was but I'd recommend checking it out.

Agreed

Certainly one of the craziest NJPW main events in a while

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

HM: Shota Umino vs Zack Sabre Jr, Honor Rising Japan 2019, 2/22

What you’re expecting to be a fun romp with the Long Mover turns into a coming out party for Umino. He’s gonna be a loving star.

Yeah I'm gonna HM this. I am lucky to have a dear and personal friend in Shota Umino, Future GOAT

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Any of the multimans worth a watch?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Anything else on the card in the "should watch" territory? I'm just off work and have a bit of time for the wrassles at home before I need to go somewhere else.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Chase vs. YOSHI was watchable but there's probably far better ways to spend your time

Haha yeah that match is about as high on my must-watch list as Toa Henare vs Lance Archer, which is thus far the only NCJ match I haven't watched. Thanks, think I'll skip to the finish and and just watch Ishii/Taichi in full.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I really hate that the BOSJ comes at exactly the time of year when I have zero time to watch wrestling (end of the school year). I don't think I'll ever be able to follow BOSJ properly unless I'm unemployed in May for some reason.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wow uh so Double or Nothing was pretty good, huh?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 26, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Literally every single match on the main card qualified for the categories they were nominated in, with the only exceptions being the final two matches which are sitting close and will surely get the required votes soon. That may be the best non-NXT card in North American wrestling we have seen in YEARS, and even the NXT cards generally only have 4-5 matches on them.

drat. How long is the entire show? Thinking I probably have to watch the thing, then.

Also I want to say I appreciate everyone posting zero spoilers in this thread :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Main show was ~4 hours, plus an hour preshow that had a meh battle royal and Another Great Match that got nominated here

The time wasn't a noticeable negative. At all

Cool. I just have other stuff to do this Sunday and four hours is about the max I can dedicate to this. Maybe I can skip some entrances.

Anyway, just bought it on FITE and am hoping the VOD is online soon :)

Edit: It's up on FITE now for anyone interested!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 26, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m watching the show now and just finished the Rhodes one. It’s already been a hell of a ride. Joshis and Rhodes vs Rhodes were my favorites this far.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

people who nominated the joshi match from DoN please go back and watch the joshi matches I've nominated in this thread thanks

Listen to this man, he knows his joshi.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Riho vs. Emi Sakura - Gatoh Move Last Song For You (7/2)

https://twitter.com/pumi_gtmv/status/1147097828772024321?s=19

Riho's last match before leaving Gatoh Move just a few days after getting back from Fyter Fest.

Seconded! Finally watched this and it was wonderful. Riho's double foot stomps are so good. A great match to watch if you've liked her in AEW but aren't that familiar with her yet and want to see her in her element!

Also I need to go to a show at Shinjuku Face next time I'm in Tokyo, place looks cool.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Akito (C) vs. ASUKA in an IPPON Fluorescent Lighttube Deathmatch for the Extreme Title - DDT Wrestle Peter Pan

This was masterfully put together, incredibly entertaining and is the best and only use I ever want to see a Light-tube have in a pro-wrestling match ever.

Yes

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Seconding

And for those in total confusion, there's one light tube in the match and you lose instantly if you break it. They had a live demonstration with trainees and everything

Yeah, you'll never see wrestlers move so gingerly in a ring. Absolute edge-of-your-seat stuff that people seriously should watch

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was so occupied with showing my guests around Helsinki that I totally forgot about G1. Hell yeah, so excited to watch it back when I get home. Any particularly should-see stuff in the undercard this time?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I don't know if you pick and choose G1 matches but don't skip Taichi/Goto based on the past two matches being pretty dire. It was easily their best together and super fun.

Oh I'm watching every single block match this year for sure :)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

There's been such an insane amount of amazing matches in the G1 and we're just halfway through, it's nuts. I won't disagree anyone's choice of the best match of the tournament so far, as long as it's something reasonable and not like Cobb vs Mox. Mine's Ishii vs Mox, Okada vs Ospreay, or, I'm gonna fuckin say it loud and proud, Taichi vs Naito

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

DISREGARD ALL OTHER NOMINATIONS

MOTY - OKADA v SANADA - G1 CLIMAX 29 ON AUGUST 3, 2019

My idea recently has been to only nominate matches a lot of people might not watch but holy god drat rear end hell yeah this

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ishii did it. Nine for nine G1 MOTYCs. Will no one stop that madman??!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

It's loving insane how good this man is. I'm mad that he's not main eventing every tour all year long. There's literally no excuse except that he's short and doesn't look like he can be in a boy band. Put the loving belt on him Gedo. NTH

One of these days he'll get hurt somehow and miss a couple of months and Harold will finally realize how much he needs Ishii

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

extradite THIS! are you seconding? I assume you are and that'll give it the last vote it needs, but you haven't actually said!

Sorry yes I will second it!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

E: wrong thread!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It’s late enough that I’m gonna assume I missed all of today’s NJPW Destruction show. What’s worth catching when the VOD goes up?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I choose to believe Kikutaro always wears his gear. And that's not a mask, it's just how he looks like.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

At some point during the Young Lion Cup Gino Gambino said something to the effect of "the trainees at New Japan dojo have to master the fundamentals before they're allowed in the ring, which is what any pro wrestling school worth its salt does"

It was very funny

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Antonio Honda vs. Lulu Pencil - Gatoh Move (10/27)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zx2WeoTGZ8

This match has to be seen to be believed but Pumi beginning by saying it is the greatest match of all time is no exaggeration. Lulu's gimmick of being absolutely terrible at pro wrestling is the greatest thing ever and this match maybe has the best ending ever.

Can't believe that Honda is going from this to wrestling Kenny Omega in Sumo Hall in the space of a week.

Astounding. Pro wrestling, y'all HM

If you liked this and want more Honda in Gatoh move, I highly recommend these absolutely brutal death matches on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/6x0xPriwE98 UFO DEATH MATCH
https://youtu.be/Cl6tKu-j6Jw DRAWING DEATH MATCH

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I mean I'm not going to HM it but it's still a fun watch, here's another classic Lulupencil performance from two days ago:

https://youtu.be/cCeq6Z7btJo

Featuring incredibly rare spots like a 0.5 count and taking turns to scream into each other's ear. There's also just something very special about how Lulupencil sells anything at all. She is like a small twig.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

IceAgeComing posted:

HM: Mei Suruga, Yuna Mizumori and Antonio Honda vs Calamari Drunken Kings (Chris Brookes and Masahiro Takanashi) and RinRin, Gatoh Move gtmv 19, 27th November 2019

Was tempted to do MOTYC to make it more likely that it gets in but I can’t really. If there’s a match that sums up what Gatoh Move is as a company it’s this one though: you’ve got their talented own roster here, one of their (very good) rookies, a couple of their regular outsiders (Masa Takanashi is one of the most underrated wrestlers in Japan; he can do almost everything and works in both the biggest and smallest buildings) plus Chris Brookes as your random outsider coming into this wild world and fitting in. They make great use of the venue in this match: from Chris Brookes being able to get rope breaks easily early on because he’s tall and the venue is small, to RinRin “accidentally” hitting her head on the ceiling, to the usual stuff using the window and the crowd. A good example of a match being funny without really being a “comedy match” (you had comedy spots and Honda is there but they go in a very different direction) and a good match to watch if you want to see if Gatoh Move is for you.

It also has Chris Brookes almost putting a 15 year old girl through the ceiling of Ichigaya Chocolate Square which isn’t a sentence I thought I’d ever type this time last year.

https://youtu.be/hHRM3tmE3B0

Nthing this

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

These are again matches no one else will get to see (or maybe like a full year later) but dammit I'm gonna rep Finnish pro wrestling because it's legit loving good. Today Talvisota XIV (FCF's biggest show of the year) took place and it was among the best shows they've ever put on.

FCF Talvisota XIV (12/7)

HM: Salomon Strid (c) vs Stark Adder (Nordic Wrestling Championship match)
HM: Viktor Tykki vs Reimi (SISU8 final)
HM: Jake Luupää vs Björn Sem
HM: King Kong Karhula vs Valentine

The booking leading up to it was questionable and I didn't expect that much but drat that show was excellent. One of the best wrestling shows I've attended live, honestly.

They really, really, really need to be better about putting stuff online.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Venomous posted:

!!! Karhula's wrestling again? Holy poo poo, I thought you said he'd retired! gently caress yeah!

Yeah! He was indeed retired for a couple of years due to a legit very hosed up shoulder. I guess he rehabbed it and felt better enough to return for at least one match. He didn't look like he'd missed a day, even if the match wasn't quite as good as the previous two Karhula/Valentine matches.

It remains unclear how much he'll wrestle going forwards but the postmatch very heelish "you people don't deserve me and don't understand how much I've done for pro wrestling in this country" promo might have indicated a new storyline for him... Interesting!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 8, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BTF posted:

Hey, I was there too!

HM: Jessica Love vs Nikita & Kert Kukk
HM: Salomon Strid (c) vs Stark Adder (Nordic Wrestling Championship match)
HM: Viktor Tykki vs Reimi (SISU8 final)
HM: King Kong Karhula vs Valentine

Had to give the nod to the handicap match, almost perfectly executed. Was legit more afraid of Jessica murdering Nikita than, well, any spot in the main event ladder clusterfuck.

Hey awesome! Yeah like I said, I thought every match was at least good, including that handicap match which was very close to a HM for me too. Jessica's new gimmick made her feel fresher than she has in years. I'd say the tag match was the weakest, it was fine but it had a bit too little time and the story hasn't been quite there in my opinion. Which is a shame because in particular Jami Aalto and Shemeikka are top 5 wrestlers in Finland.

Shoot me a message when you go to the next event and want to goonmeet up, I'll very likely be there since I do try to go all of them (the next one in Tampere I won't be able to do and Jatkosota I'm not entirely sure about yet, unfortunately)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 9, 2019

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TTBF posted:

We've gone past "every NJPW midcard match getting a HM" and are now at "every NJPW undercard tag match getting a HM" for AEW.

they're good matches Brent

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: The Great Space War (The Great Sasuke, Brahman Shu, Brahman Kei, Anal Lover Prince & Yukizuri Queen vs. Elton John Rambo, Elsa 1, Anna 2, SchwarzeneGAINA & Pretty Olaf) - Michinoku Pro Tokyo Conference Vol. 7 (12/13)

Easily the dumbest thing I've ever seen in person and I loved every moment of it.

https://twitter.com/PuroresuDream/status/1208555989814919169?s=19

Is it the entirety of that 100-min video or when does it start?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The Great Space War starts at the 51:39 mark

Thanks, I'll check it out later! "Easily the dumbest thing I've ever seen in person" is a promising endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: The Great Space War (The Great Sasuke, Brahman Shu, Brahman Kei, Anal Lover Prince & Yukizuri Queen vs. Elton John Rambo, Elsa 1, Anna 2, SchwarzeneGAINA & Pretty Olaf) - Michinoku Pro Tokyo Conference Vol. 7 (12/13)

Easily the dumbest thing I've ever seen in person and I loved every moment of it.

https://twitter.com/PuroresuDream/status/1208555989814919169?s=19

Seconded

I just watched this and was going to try to write something about it but words wouldn't do it justice. I would advise everyone to watch it while remembering Dustin Rhodes's words

"It's almost 2020, and I am embarrassed at what I just saw in the great business that I still protect to this day."

Unfortunately the recording has some problems (skips forward, video glitches).