Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SatoshiMiwa posted:

MOTYC: Ibushi vs Ospreay : Wrestler Kingdom 13

Even better than the hype

4th'd holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TTBF posted:

MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jrc vs Tomohiro Ishii for the Rev Pro Undisputed Heavyweight Title - Jan 4th - Wrestle Kingdom 13

As good as Ibushi vs Ospreay was, I do think this match was better.

Yes. I loving adore whenever these 2 dudes get together, be it singles or tag, they mash together so well and this builds on their previous bouts excellently, Ishii has counters for Zack, ZSJ knows he's gotta go for the arm to weaken the lariat and for the time they had, great. A bit odd to call it a sprint but it kind of was.

That's me nthing it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Chris Jericho (C) vs. Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - New Japan Wrestle Kingdom 13

Chris Jericho is almost 50 years old :stare:

Nthing this

Worth remembering that Suzuki was 49 when he and Goto had maybe the best match of WK12. Which is also insane.

I'm also nthing the White Okada match, it was great, Okada felt back. And then despite that he lost clean to the Switchblade. This isn't done!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

this is the weak wrestle kingdom people were moaning about in the gdt haha

New Japan fans are insanely spoiled by high quality wrestling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC - Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, Sanada, EVIL, BUSHI, Shingo Takagi) vs Suzukigun (Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr, Taichi, El Deseprado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru), NJPW, 1/5

A really heated and wild brawl between two factions who are just polar opposites of each other, one side Tranquilo & the other side permanently seething. Thought it was tremendous though it'd have been even better if it was one of the great elimination tags New Japan do a few times a year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I greatly admire CMLL for combining the best and worst of wrestling in one promotion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Willninho posted:

Motyc: sobereano jr vs Bárbaro Cavernario. Fantasicamania

More of a spot match than there one last year but the spots are all great and they hit most of them or kill each other.

Hm: Dragón lee and Mistico vs cuatrero and Sanson. Fantasicamania

Fun tag. Everyone looks great.

I would go HM on both these

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Motyc : KUSHIDA vs Tanahashi, road to new beginning 1/29

Obviously bittersweet but an excellent match and a nice goodbye for KUSHIDA. Good luck in the wwe

Third. It's wonderful wrestling match. They had me buying that KUSHIDA was going to beat the reigning Heavyweight champ on the way out.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM: 2nd February 2019, The New Beginning In Sapporo Night 1 - SANADA vs Minoru Suzuki
HM: 2nd February 2019, The New Beginning In Sapporo Night 1 - EVIL vs Zack Sabre Jr

Two really fun matches that build perfectly for tomorrow's IWGP Tag Team Championship clash

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

HM: Shingo/BUSHI vs. Desperado/Kanemaru, NJPW New Beginning 2/3

Incredible second half

karmicknight posted:

HM: 3 Feb 2019, New Beginning in Sapporo - Yoshi-Hashi/Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Chase Owens/Bad Luck Fale/Jay White

Nthing these both.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I liked it more than that. Ill go a motyc for it

Me too. The reaction is perfect. The crowd are just silent. I thin it's worth a MOTYC shout. Switchblade is good

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Takashi Iizuka, Minoru Suzuki & Taichi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Kazuchika Okada and Toru Yano - NJPW Takashi Iizuka Retirement Match - 2/21

Seriously, a match predominantly focused around Iizuka and Tenzan was good! Full of great callbacks to Iizuka's career and interactions, everybody was in on the joke (including the crowd and commentators) but took it seriously and produced a match that was just plain fun and about the best way a wrestler like Iizuka could ever hope to go out.

It's a great example of what wrestling can do when it's internal logic is silly but consistent. Not technically a great match but fun and emotional and the crowd really played their part and the elements of production were perfectly presented too.

They've been clapping and chanting Iizuka for a least 2 minutes to an empty ring. Quite touching which isn't something I thought I'd be saying about any part of an Iizuka match.

Definitely a nth from me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

HM: Shota Umino vs Zack Sabre Jr, Honor Rising Japan 2019, 2/22

What you’re expecting to be a fun romp with the Long Mover turns into a coming out party for Umino. He’s gonna be a loving star.

This was cool as poo poo and everyone should watch it to say they were there when Shota broke out and confirmed our suspicions he was the future of New Japan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm doing some catchup on some of the stuff I've not seen while my computer was broken.

MOTYC
02/10 | PAC (C) vs. KZY for the Open the Dream Gate Championship - Dragon Gate

One of the last things I did before my hard drive died was bookmark this to watch and it turns out my timing was imbeccable because in the post match promo Shun Skywalker challenges PAC for the Open the Dream Gate Championship (I love the way PAC says that with his exaggerated pronounciation) and the match is going down today so that's something to look forward to. Anyway, this was a really great match with some hellaciously crazy spots like the instantly infamous top rope tombstone that probably murdered KZY. It's what you'd want from a Dragon Gate match.
02/19 | Kento Miyahara & Daisuke Sekimoto vs. The World (Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yoshitatsu) - Giant Baba Memorial Show
Considering the complete absence of stakes on a memorial show, this was better than it could have been. And now I'm deeply upset we'll almost certainly never get a singles match between Miyahara and Tanahashi and more's the pity because the teasing when they got to work together was just so cool. Although the coolest spots of the match went to Sekimoto, both his powerslam on Tana which got an amazing pop and him giving his own partner a German suplex purely to ensure that Yoshitatsu also got suplexed is a great power spot. And the finishing deadlift straight jacket German suplex with a bridge was beautiful.

As an aside, pretty sure this only needs 1 more nomination to get on the list so give it a watch if you've not. It's well worth your time.
01/06 | Lucha Brothers vs LAX - Impact Homecoming
Can't quite believe that I'm saying this about an Impact match. It was a really great spotfest of a tag. The only 2 knocks were the crowd were terrible and the finish was a bit iffy because you could see Penta outside not even trying to get in to break the pin, just standing outside with his hands on his knees. Flat finish doesn't detract from the rest of the match though. Clearly I need to see more of this incarnation of LAX. But boy, that Impact crowd sure managed to chant every dumb American indy chant from the 00s.

Hopefully get through a few more tomorrow, need to see the Titan Cavernario from last week and more Kento Miyahara.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
NJPW New Beginning in USA Night 1 - 30th January 2019 Chucky T vs David Finlay

An entertaining plunder-filled No DQ match that didn't exactly have a lot reason to it happening but Chuck is good fun in these and I think Finlay came out stronger. Definitely worth a watch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
Dragon Gate Open The Champion Gate Night 2 - 3/3/19
PAC vs Shun Skywalker

Not his best match but a solid outing defending the Open the Dream Gate title against one of Dragon Gate's best younger wrestlers. And man can Skywalker (who is just 22!) get some distance on his moonsaults, looks effortless flying halfway across the ring.

Watch it here

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 5, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Baron La Croix posted:

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs Switchblade Jay White - NJPW 47th Anniversary Show
HM: Jushin Thunder Liger vs Taiji Ishimori

A damned fine show.

Nth these.

Also want to HM
Bushi and Shingo Takagi vs Roppongi 3K from the same show

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Any of the multimans worth a watch?

Honestly? Everything on the show was at worst fun and totally worth a watch. Not HM mention calibre but seeing Kojima make Suzuki's chest bleed from chops? I'd say that's worth a watch. (It was probably just a scratch but the idea is cool)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Baron La Croix posted:

MOTYC: Tomohiro Ishii vs Yuji Nagata - New Japan Cup Night 1

yesss inject middle-aged japanese men angrily slapping each other directly into my veins

nth

HM

Juice Robinson vs Chase Owens - New Japan Cup Night 1

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Ibushi vs Naito
HM: Umino vs Tanahashi
HM: ZSJ vs EVIL

This is all very much nth'd

ZSJ and EVIL are such good opponents.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tonfa posted:

MOTYC Ishii/Taichi

Yes. Taichi is terrific, Ishii is an absolute monster (and great seller) and the end result was fabulous.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Price Check posted:

HM - Tanahashi vs Taguchi (3/16)
MOTYC - ZSJ vs Ibushi (3/16)

3rd these

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Toru Yano vs. Colt Cabana, NJPW New Japan Cup Day 8, 3/17

The first was hilarious and tremendous fun. The latter was a loving war and both guys came out of it looking like enormous badasses.

I'll nth this. I have to rewatch the main event because my viewing was ruined by the sound of men hammering and drilling outside but on first view I was feeling more HM for it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

As we live in the world where 4 star matches are only hm

Hm ishii v Yoshi hashi new japan cup 20/3/2019
Hm Okada v Ospreay new japan cup 20/3/2019

I liked both matches a lot. I think on the whole ishii v YH was the better match but what was good in Okada v Ospreay was amazing but they were holding back. I’m really into Ospreays story right now trying to establish himself at HW. Being able to beat the big lugs but coming up short against Okada who is both big and skilled. Ospreay crying at the end was a nice touch.

I'll go along with that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

HM: Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Killer Kross, Josh Barnett's Bloodsport 4/4

Yay!

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Masashi Takeda vs. Jonathan Gresham, Bloodsport, 4/4

Yes & yes. Takeda is cool as hell. Also apparently 11-4 as an MMA fighter which was news to me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

HM Tim Thatcher vs Hideki Suzuki - GCW Bloodsport

That was really good fun and a nice change of pace too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC: Minoru Suzuki vs. Josh Barnett, Bloodsport 4/4

Yes, 3rded

If there's a better show all weekend it will be very, very good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM

Wrestlecon Supershow - 4/4
Zack Sabre Jr vs Shane Strickland

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'd have said it was a HM. In fact I will say that.

HM
April 5th - NXT Takeover

War Raiders vs Ricochet and Black

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Pete Dunne (C) vs. WALTER for the NXT UK Championship - NXT Takeover

Jesus this was brutal, exactly what I expected and then some.

Yes, nth that, really good match, probably the best thing I've seen this week apart outwith Bloodsport.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Jeff Cobb vs. Will Ospreay, G1 Supercard 4/6

Absolutely great start to things, nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

HM: MMM Dragon Lee vs Bone Soldier vs Bandido

Nth. What this shoe needed after what felt like forever of being really lame.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

MOTYC: KOTA IBUSHI VS. TETSUYA NAITO, G1 SUPERCARD

JESUS CHRIST

YES.

Two dudes just going out and dying for our entertainment and you gotta love that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White, G1 Supercard

Goddamn masterpiece

Nth

If there's a better match this whole week I'd be amazed. A superb IWGP title match which took me from near sleep to pumped full of adrenaline. Okada and White both came out looking strong as hell.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WMOTYC
Daichi Hashimoto vs Takashi Yoshida - All Japan Pro Wrestling - 4/4/19

This might be a little harsh but it was just so dead. The first match on the first night of AJPW's big singles tournament Champions Carnival, you'd expect a bit of fire but this was so lifeless. There's undoubtedly worse matches this year but few if any will be this boring.

HM
Atsuhi Aoki vs Kento Miyahara - All Japan Pro Wrestling - 4/4/19

This was more like it. The Triple Crown champion against a former Junior champion who is a late replacement for Kengo Mashimo. The result is never in doubt but Aoki puts up a firey challenge. Perhaps Kento underestimated him but he was certainly on the back foot for long periods. A simple, classic wrestling story executed really well.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 18, 2019

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
03/31 | Tsukasa Fujimoto vs. TinTin the Giant Panda - Ice Ribbon

Someone, anyone who hasn't seen it yet should take this weekend, set aside an hour and watch Kento vs Kai. It's great. I know All Japan is under-watched
I'd also recommend the Strong Hearts vs All Out 6 Man tag from DDT if you've got a spare 20 minutes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Also this is why we need a tiered system to compensate for this forum’s inherent bias towards major companies over indies

Yeah, I do think you need one level for WWE, another maybe a little lower for New Japan & then a lower bar for everyone else because it all gets such short shrift in comparison. This is why I at least try to include a link to any non-WWE & NJPW match I see that I nominate, try to make it as easy as possible because I get that wrestling in a foreign language can be a bit daunting, was for me at one point, and there's only so many hours in the day.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

MOTYC: IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Kota Ibushi (c) vs Zack Sabre Jr., Sengoku Lord 4/20

3rd

Two guys who can do no wrong together.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
4/9/19
All Japan Pro Wrestling
Kento Miyahara vs Zeus

Maybe it's just nights 2 and 3 being totally forgettable but this was the first Champion Carnival match I really got into since night 1.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WMOTYC
4/13/19
All Japan Pro Wrestling
Gianni Valetta vs Ryouji Sai

Night 7 of the Champion Carnival is a really solid night of good-not-great matches with this sandwiched in the middle. The sole highlight was a tag of war for Valetta's chain, which ends up flying outside of the ring and could easily have hit someone.

HM
4/13/19
All Japan Pro Wrestling
Dylan James vs Zeus

A very good match, Zeus in front of a hometown crowd in Osaka, 2 muscley boys battering each other.

MOTYC
4/14/19
All Japan Pro Wrestling
Kento Miyahara vs Shuji Ishikawa
Kento is one of the best wrestlers in the world and he knows it. Literally has Best of the Best written on the back of his robe. And he's at his best when he's the cocky sonuvabitch like he is here. Not that this is all Kento by any means, this pair have had great clashes before.

If you watch one match from the first 8 Champion Carnival shows it should probably be this one.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 25, 2019