Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kento Miyahara vs. KAI - AJPW 1/3
MOTYC: #STRONGHEARTS vs. All Out - DDT 1/3
MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs. Chris Jericho - NJPW 1/4
HM: Meiko Satomura vs. Reika Saiki - TJPW 1/4
WMOTYC: Cody vs. Juice Robinson - NJPW 1/4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't know if it counts for this topic having aired this year but happened last year but everyone who enjoyed Masashi Takeda's work last year needs to see him vs. Jun Kasai from Blood Christmas

https://rutube.ru/video/7eeaf28356336218ecfd8112503043c2

Absolutely fantastic.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Takeda is the MVP of the year guy we saw at the NYE show, right? Def gonna check this out.

Yeah, and also 4/5 the top matches in the fan voting. He was teaming wihh HARASHIMA and got knocked out in the semi-finals.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: #STRONGHEARTS vs. All Out - DDT 1/3

this is still the best match I've seen all year and DDT have uploaded it for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCB1HESDlRg

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I guess this is the match recommendations thread so the most appropriate place, so if you sign up for a DDT Bronze Account (free), then you can watch them wrestle on a train live for free in 45 minutes (7pm JST). Not sure if it'll still be free on demand. Last time it was really fun so I heartily recommend it now

https://www.ddtpro.com/universe/videos/5594

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Barbaro Cavernario vs Dragon Lee, CMLL 1/4 Super Fridays

nth

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Soberano Jr. vs Bárbaro Cavernario and Rey Mysterio vs. Andrade both now need a single extra MOTY vote to hit the threshold, if anybody is so inclined.

Edit: GenericMartini, you already voted for Cody vs Juice as WMOTY before this.

I'll nth Soberano/Cavernario

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Caristico vs Volador Jr 1/21 NJPW Fantasticamania

Such an utterly ridiculous match with the best stuff both guys have to offer.

Yes. I'd put this and Soberano/Cavernario as NJPW's best two matches of this month.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Finn/Lesnar

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yeah I don't get the hate for the two Rumble matches. Maybe because I'm not at all invested in WWE?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I agree that the women's started really badly but it was pretty good by the end.

I found the men's consistently below average with some bright spots. I hadn't realised Seth Rollins had gone from being a guy fans like to a Vince guy. Last time I heard about him, WWE fans were saying he was wrestler of the year early last year so assumed he was still liked.

The match order was awful, I'll definitely give you that. Becky winning felt like the emotional climax of the show and it murdered the crowd for the AJ/Bryan match (which wasn't very good tbh but might have been more enjoyable with a better crowd).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Benne posted:

HM: Shingo/BUSHI vs. Desperado/Kanemaru, NJPW New Beginning 2/3

Incredible second half

Yep

And +1 to Rey/Andrade MOTYC from 1/22 if I didn't already.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I feel like it deserves the big Roman Reigns match treatment where it gets nominated for both MOTYC and WMOTYC.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Fuminori Abe vs. Ryota Nakatsu (c) for the Union Pro MAX Championship - BASARA 87: Banquet (1/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl9EUDBdfM

Absolutely great match. Fuminori Abe is probably the most underrated guy in pro wrestling right now

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Hana Kimura vs. Konami (Stardom 2/9)

Konami is a world class technician and maybe the most underutilised person in wrestling. Hana more than held her own too.

Here's Hana trying to tear off Konami's arm with a manjigatame if you need convincing to check it out

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/1095572498522009600

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 13, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rodney the Piper posted:

MOTYC: T-Hawk vs. Shotaro Ashino., Wrestle-1 2019 Sunrise (1/5) https://youtu.be/g1QCqUvUG9Y?t=4022

Please take the time to watch this match. It's one of the five or six best matches I've seen this year so far. The only ones I have definitely above it are Tanahashi-Omega and Naito-Jericho. T-Hawk's still great from the little Dragon Gate I've watched, and Ashino's amazing.

Have some HMs while I'm at it:

Ryota Hama vs. Daisuke Sekimoto, BJW (1/2)
Black Menso-re & Takao Omori vs. Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi, AJPW New Years War (1/3)
Hideki Suzuki, Takuya Nomura & Yoshihisa Uto vs. Kazumi Kikuta, Ryuichi Kawakami & Yuji Okabayashi, BJW (1/2)

2nd all these and nth Pac/Kzy

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Everyone IS wrong for not liking what I like but if they're happy being wrong then who am I to stop them.

MOTYC: Jun Kasai vs. Alex Colon - GCW They Said It Couldn't Be Done (2/17)
MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs. Daisuke Sasaki - DDT Judgement (2/17)

And while I'm here it was absolutely a bang average match but Naomichi Marufuji deserves a callout for worst individual performance in his match with Tetsuya Endo ending with the shittiest Emerald Flowsion I've ever seen. Poor Endo probably would have been better off if they gave him Yoshihiko to work with. I hope and assume he puts in more effort in his title challenge against Kaito next month.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 18, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Watched that Chamber and I think Daniel Bryan and Kofi Kingston deserve the MOTYC nod but not the other four guys. Jerusalem can you make sure that only those two men receive any credit by adding an asterisk? Thank you.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kento Miyahara & Daisuke Sekimoto vs. The World (Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yoshitatsu) - Giant Baba Memorial Show 2/19

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Takashi Iizuka, Minoru Suzuki & Taichi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Kazuchika Okada and Toru Yano - NJPW Takashi Iizuka Retirement Match - 2/21

Seriously, a match predominantly focused around Iizuka and Tenzan was good! Full of great callbacks to Iizuka's career and interactions, everybody was in on the joke (including the crowd and commentators) but took it seriously and produced a match that was just plain fun and about the best way a wrestler like Iizuka could ever hope to go out.

yes

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nthing Cavernario/Titan

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Kento Miyahara vs. Suwama - AJPW Excite Series (2/24)

Maybe the best match I've ever experienced live. Kento is a goddam superstar.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Momo Watanabe (c) vs. Jungle Kyona for the Wonder of Stardom Championship - Dreamslam in Nagoya (3/3)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM both those matches

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

with the debate about deathmatches in the AEW thread, it's worth remembering that Masashi Takeda is the best wrestler in the world

MOTYC: Masashi Takeda vs. Toshiyuki Sakuda (BJW Deathmatch Survivor 2/28)

https://rutube.ru/video/57e14b85b3652d5c34e27534be16e3c2

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tonfa posted:

MOTYC Ishii/Taichi

Agreed. Taichi made him look really good.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Anything else on the card in the "should watch" territory? I'm just off work and have a bit of time for the wrassles at home before I need to go somewhere else.

Chase vs. YOSHI was watchable but there's probably far better ways to spend your time

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Price Check posted:

MOTYC - ZSJ vs Ibushi (3/16)

nth

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

MOTYC: Kento Miyahara vs. Naoya Nomura, AJPW Dream Power Series 2019 Day 6, 3/19

yes

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: ALL OUT (Konosuke Takeshita, Akito & Yuki Iino) (c) vs. Meiko Satomura, DASH Chisako & Chihiro Hashimoto for the KO-D Six Man Championship - DDT Into the Fight (3/21)

https://twitter.com/ddtuniverse/status/1111222682480107521?s=19

Free to watch, really a great match where Takeshita showed rare glimpses of personality. Best parts being the hoss offs between Iino and Hashimoto.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Not sure how many people will actually watch this, but if I can get just one person to watch and realise how good the younger, cooler Asuka is then I'll consider it a mission accomplished.

MOTYC: Nanae Takahashi (c) vs. Asuka for the SEAdLINNNG Beyond the Sea Championship - SEAdLINNNG Luckiest 2019 (3/20)

https://rutube.ru/video/395b0759ef61237193d3ceeb9c42f4bb

Asuka just goes for it right from the outset. Hate Nanae so much so watching Asuka fling chair after chair at her was very cathartic. Asuka hitting the Io Shirai moonsault off the Korakuen staircase and then jumping up to do her little dance was so cool too.

Might be my MOTY if not for joshi HHH putting herself over once again.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I had Takeda/Gresham as a MOTYC. That ruled.

Seconding all the HM nods and none of the WMOTY nods.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs Daisuke Sasaki for the KO-D Openweight Title, DDT Coming to America 4/4

3rd

and nth MAO/Takagi

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Hey can you say what the match actually was?

Masashi Takeda vs. Jimmy Lloyd

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gonna second MRT's HM for the Bully Ray open challenge because that was so loving dumb it made me laugh

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm going to Nth all various nominations for that match. It was perfection, it was horrible, it was just an HM, it was a floor wax, it was a dessert topping.

Yeah, I'd probably be alright with giving it a WMOTYC nod too. It was only good because it was so bad

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Tsukasa Fujimoto vs. TinTin the Giant Panda - Ice Ribbon (3/31)

Backstory: Tsukasa Fujimoto won the women's wrestler of the year award from Tokyo Sports this year. During the Awards Ceremony, Tokyo Sports photographers caught her kissing popular wrestler and giant panda, Andreza the Giant Panda. Andreza's scorned wife TinTin, challenged Fujimoto to a match at Ice Ribbon's Korakuen Hall show and attacked her during a press conference causing Tsukka to be hospitalised.

It's really funny, and also Fujimoto is such a good wrestler that she pulls some generally innovative spots out of a guy in a 7 foot panda costume. The emotional climax of the match is something you need to experience for yourselves.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I wanted to catch up on Stardom before the NYC show but other than a couple matches I failed. Anyway!

MOTYC: Momo Watanabe vs Tam Nakano (Wonder of Stardom title, 1/14/19)

Momo and Cavernario are neck and neck for Most Outstanding Wrestler.

Watch the Jungle Kyona match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If you're picking and choosing your way through the Deathmatch Survivor, don't skip Takeda vs. RSP. Not quite good enough for me to give a HM nod too, but it's cool seeing Takeda doing a sprint instead of a big main event. It was loving wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If I haven't given Tony Deppen vs. No Legs an HM then I'll push it onto the list.

I'd recommend making your next purge the end of the G1 because it's two thirds through the year and that's going to be hard to keep up with.